Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Watching carvalho in the u21 tourney

He looks superb with a great passing range, wonder are we still sniffing around

Man of the Match in a 5 - 0 routing of Germany. Perhaps he wouldn't be such a bad option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

greendom wrote: »
    Man of the Match in a 5 - 0 routing of Germany. Perhaps he wouldn't be such a bad option.

Didn't he have a stormer earlier in the tournament as well? Could have been England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

So Cech and Vidal signed by the end of the Copa America, be happy with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Just reading the Vidal rumours here. Have heard a lot about him but haven't seen much of him. Would he be an amazing signing? I get the impression people would lose their **** if he did join. And 21 odd million seems a good price for such a highly coveted player. Him, Cech and hopefully a quality striker (Higuain?) would give us so much so much confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Just reading the Vidal rumours here. Have heard a lot about him but haven't seen much of him. Would he be an amazing signing? I get the impression people would lose their **** if he did join. And 21 odd million seems a good price for such a highly coveted player. Him, Cech and hopefully a quality striker (Higuain?) would give us so much so much confidence

I know its saturday night and all but to be taking that much drugs to make you think we'll make three top signings is a tad excessive is't it?

Mainstream media starting to run with the Vidal stories now. That Arsenal have made a bid anyway

La Stampa in Italy and The Independent in the UK

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/arturo-vidal-to-arsenal-alexis-sanchez-convincing-chile-teammate-to-make-gunners-move-10347069.html

Seems like its gone beyond the point where it can be considered just wild conjecture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Quazzie wrote: »
    I know its saturday night and all but to be taking that much drugs to make you think we'll make three top signings is a tad excessive is't it?

Is it really that far beyond the realms of possibility? If the last two summers have shown us anything is that the shackles are well and truly off. Anything is possible. The squad is in good shape. It's only the very best we're chasing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Mainstream media starting to run with the Vidal stories now. That Arsenal have made a bid anyway

La Stampa in Italy and The Independent in the UK

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/arturo-vidal-to-arsenal-alexis-sanchez-convincing-chile-teammate-to-make-gunners-move-10347069.html

Seems like its gone beyond the point where it can be considered just wild conjecture

Will be a quality signing if a striker is signed too. If not he'll still be a good signing imo but not the one Arsenal needed. A decent new CB wouldn't hurt either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

If we got Vidal and Cech early, then the opportunistic striker later on? Yep, I'll take that!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Think all Vidal talk is bollix , if we sign a cm would be cover for Coq, don't see us going for striker either to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Don't think us making 3 big signings is that far fetched

We get cech for 10
    Vidal for 20
    Foward/wide forward. 30+

Last year
    Debuchy. 10
    Chambers. 16
    Sanchez. 30+

So If the reported prices are true its not as far fetched as people seem

My own opinion is we won't do it but it's very very doable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

People need to stop with this Vidal nonsense.

20 million now? Seriously?

The complete modern midfielder, leading Juve in both tackles and assists, double winning, CL final reaching.

He's contracted until 2017, two years from now.

Complete these two sentences...

1: Juve would sell Vidal for 20 million because...

2: Vidal would join Arsenal because...

I don't mean to come across as aggressive but this really is nonsense. Stop believing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

gosplan wrote: »

The complete modern midfielder, leading Juve in both tackles and assists, double winning, CL final reaching.

I don't mean to come across as aggressive but this really is nonsense. Stop believing it.
    100% agreed, double that 20 million price tag and we might have a chance.

What is Vidals contract situation? There is no way he is being sold for 20 odd million. Double that, at the very least.

Redzer7 wrote: »
    100% agreed, double that 20 million price tag and we might have a chance.

IMO 50 million and making him top earner and you have a chance.

The cross your fingers and hope that he would accept a move down to Arsenal (because that's what it would be)

Then cross your fingers and hope that one if about 7/8 other clubs don't come in and blow our offer out of the water.

Even if they didn't, that transfer is so un-Wenger

Vidal wants out of juve and wanted out the last two seasons

Completely writing it off as nonsense is just as ridiclious as saying it will happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its pretty simple, if he were to leave City/Madrid/Chelsea/Barcelona/Bayern/United would probably all want him and would have a better chance of getting him than Arsenal.

With the exchange rate at the moment £21 million is €30million.

It may well not happen but there's enough smoke to make me believe the interest is real.

• Advertisement

With the exchange rate at the moment £21 million is €30million.

It may well not happen but there's enough smoke to make me believe the interest is real.

I'm with you I don't think it will happen and someone like Carvalho is more likely

But completely writing it off just cause we're arsenal is complete nonsense

Completely writing it off as nonsense is just as ridiclious as saying it will happen

Ah no, it's unlikely but absolutely impossible at that price.

If we approached it like Man U approached the ADM transfer.

But I would add that it's the type of player Wenger would be looking at nowadays.

There's only so often Barca are going to get rid of a player of Alexis' quality.

Realistically, we need world class players and if Wenger's resolved to get them, then why not Vidal ... though it's going to cost a lot.

I know half this thread will go into meltdown if Utd land Schneiderlin but to be honest I don't see a massive improvement there over the Ramsey of two seasons ago or the Santi of last year, both of whom occupy that position. Yeah, it's nice having a deep squad but is it worth E30/40 million to provide competition and backup?

Surely the name of the game now is to push on and sign the best possible players.

Thoughts on Rahman Baba anyone. I have to be honest and say I know nothing about him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭wawaman

The Chilean journo (@hfeler) who first broke the alexis to arsenal story is claiming that Vidal is done and has agreed a 5 year deal

wawaman wrote: »
    The Chilean journo (@hfeler) who first broke the alexis to arsenal story is claiming that Vidal is done and has agreed a 5 year deal

I would never have been so happy to be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Would that be goodbye to JW10?

efb wrote: »
    Would that be goodbye to JW10?

Surely not. There should be enough room in the squad for both

Still don't believe any of it but Vidal would be some coup

No brain! Stop! Don't do it!

We ARE NOT Signing Vidal.

Arrrrrrrggghhhhhhhh!!!

I would never have been so happy to be wrong.

Likewise, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Sky Italia reporting that Vidal is happy at Juventus and has no intention of leaving.

As you were

• Advertisement

No brain! Stop! Don't do it!

We ARE NOT Signing Vidal.

Arrrrrrrggghhhhhhhh!!!

giphy.gif

Was good while it lasted...

I would be happy with no signings and nobody leaving...

/ducks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

/ducks

This is gonna be great!

*Feet up, bucket of popcorn in hand*

/ducks

With the money slopping about in the EPL at the moment our main rivals will strengthen. We will have to as well too if we're going to improve on 3rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

With the money slopping about in the EPL at the moment our main rivals will strengthen. We will have to as well too if we're going to improve on 3rd

Can we even call last year an improvement? It was more down to other teams going backwards. While we might have gained a position, we still finished with 4 points less than the previous season.

Either way we need to strengthen, this seasons tally will probably leave us struggling for 4th again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

If we don't strengthen we'll be scrapping for 4th again

bad2dabone wrote: »
    If we don't strengthen we'll be scrapping for 4th again

Nah, bar an injury crisis or total collapse, we'll put up a good points total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nah, bar an injury crisis or total collapse, we'll put up a good points total.

We need to put up enough points to win the EPL not just to come 3rd or 4th again.
    We should be strengthening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Strengthening isn't all about buying players. Every year the top teams spend huge money yet they rarely improve. Its about striking a balance, Chelsea added a couple of strong players to an established team and saw a big improvement. Liverpool will buy 5 new first team players again and probably start the season ****e because you can't replace half your team every season. Cech plus one big upgrade in midfield or attack would be a great summer.

• Advertisement

Strengthening is about making your squad stronger. Adding better players to what you already have surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gus99

Vidal would be an odd one. Yes, I get that if a top class player becomes available you should go for him. But he is not a DM and the obvious player that he would replace is Santi, who was a revelation in that role last year.

And it is not as if he is that much younger, I would have thought Ramsey would be the long-term replacement for the box-to-box CM role ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Strengthening is about making your squad stronger. Adding better players to what you already have surely.

We strengthened noticeably once Coquelin started performing last year. The year before, we strengthened significantly when Ramsey stepped up several levels from his previous performances.

If we get fewer injuries due to new training methods or physios, our squad would be stronger.
    If another of our players steps up a puts in world class performances, it'll make our squad stronger.
    If the defence is better organised and makes fewer mistakes, our squad will be stronger.

Signing players can make a squad stronger too, but it's not a sure bet, and certainly not the only thing. You'd think the shambles that are Liverpool and Tottenham would teach people that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

AdamD wrote: »
    Strengthening isn't all about buying players. Every year the top teams spend huge money yet they rarely improve. Its about striking a balance, Chelsea added a couple of strong players to an established team and saw a big improvement. Liverpool will buy 5 new first team players again and probably start the season ****e because you can't replace half your team every season. Cech plus one big upgrade in midfield or attack would be a great summer.
    Speak for yourselfs, Id love the Villa to sign 6/7 new starters :D but agree no need to sign a bunch of new players for ye

Again I would like to point out that while the timing of form last year compared to the year before was different, we tracked points closely with corresponding fixtures. Seems like a big coincidence to me.

Again I would like to point out that while the timing of form last year compared to the year before was different, we tracked points closely with corresponding fixtures. Seems like a big coincidence to me.

Really good point.

I think we can improve by adding players but players like Cech and Vidal.

I really don't think someone Schneiderlin makes us that much better.

A settled defence (fingers crossed) and error free goalie (fingers crossed) makes us better IMO. Back it up with a fit DMF (fingers crossed) and we're properly solid.

Then it's about the attack clicking and scoring more. Fit Giroud, fit Walcott, settled Alexis/Ozil/Caz/Ramsey midfield.

We don't need new players to be better than last year.

But there's a risk attached unless we have decent alternatives to players like Coq or Giroud.

Then there's the possibility we could be better again with better players - the Sanchez effect! You can see how he's impacted those around him.

Here signing someone like Vidal (I know, I know) is hugely different from signing Schneiderlin.

If I was Wenger, I approach this like Ozil. Ony bother with top top quality. Be prepared to pay and don't necessarily be fixed to one type of player.

I mean you probably don't take either of the full-backs or an AMF.

But if we're only talking about world class players then nearly every other position could be improved upon.

Who do we think will shine this year unexpectedly

2 years ago it was Ramsey

Last year coq and bellerin and to a lesser extend santi

My pick is ox

And dark horse gnabry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Walcott for me

We strengthened noticeably once Coquelin started performing last year. The year before, we strengthened significantly when Ramsey stepped up several levels from his previous performances.

If we get fewer injuries due to new training methods or physios, our squad would be stronger.
    If another of our players steps up a puts in world class performances, it'll make our squad stronger.
    If the defence is better organised and makes fewer mistakes, our squad will be stronger.

Signing players can make a squad stronger too, but it's not a sure bet, and certainly not the only thing. You'd think the shambles that are Liverpool and Tottenham would teach people that.

I agree with you but Chelsea seem to manage to bring in an established player or two when they need them. They strengthen where they believe they have a weakness. I know some of the players they buy don't work out but that is the same with all teams.

• Advertisement

Season before last we did very well against most teams but were awful against the top 4 sides. That improved last year but we did poorly against the teams just below top 4. Spurs, Swansea, Southampton and Stoke. Improve results against those teams snd perform just as well as we did against the rest and we'll be there or thereabouts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement