Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Henry. Simple really. Also came after being top 2 for what, 7 straight years?

The year we signed Campbell we turned around 20 points in one season

Was he that good? No

Tactics and coaching

Can wenger do it again, I'm not so sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's all gone full retard again.

We'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

The timing of the Welbeck announcement is what makes it worse for the fans.

In reality its not that bad I think. How many games would he start if everyone is fit?

I think Wenger will give Joel Campbell his opportunity now which will be interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Paleface wrote: »

In reality its not that bad I think. How many games would he start if everyone is fit?

I think Wenger will give Joel Campbell his opportunity now which will be interesting!

I think given Girouds current form Welbeck would be pushing for a starting place if fit.

I agree it will be interesting to see what happens with Campbell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The other day Wenger announced that Welbeck was nearing fitness.
    Now this.
    Methinks lying is becoming part of the manager's big gamble.
    He knew Welbeck was out long before he made that statement.
    This is the worse part of the debacle for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

CN-OMVSWIAAzkFW.jpg

Surprised we only have 3 in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

gosplan wrote: »

We'll be fine.

..With 4th place :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Even if we win the premiership this year I'd like a new manager next year wenger is every bit to blame as Kroenke and co upstairs.
    Arsene complains about wages and wage caps while he's on more than any player at the club.

The club is not being run properly and hasn't been for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Your wengerietts comment

I didn't read the rest of the post

That was in the last sentence. How did you get to that without reading the rest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

gosplan wrote: »

We'll be fine.

Tired of the whinging. Would have been nice to get a couple of players. But we didn't. Nor did we lose anyone.

Only manager in the league to win something in each of the past two seasons.

Didn't feel like blasting a load of cash on some players he didn't want.

Christ, even the whingy hand wringing after a lost game is better than the whinging after a lost transfer window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Obviously there's a bit of ott hysteria around here at times and im not singling anyone out here, ultimately we're all on the same page of wanting the team to succeed, but personally im not a fan of people who dismiss genuine, rational and often baffling and long standing issues and criticisms with the transfer policy as moaning, whineing etc etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Obviously there's a bit of ott hysteria around here at times and im not singling anyone out here, ultimately we're all on the same page of wanting the team to succeed, but personally im not a fan of people who dismiss genuine, rational and often baffling and long standing issues and criticisms with the transfer policy as moaning, whineing etc etc etc

Football and the EPL is a past-time but Arsenal has taken up a big part of my life. I love the club and it's history and have seen a fair bit of that history. Wenger has been a huge part of that history too but he is not bigger than the club. It will be here long after he's gone and all of us are gone.

I do not know any follower of any team who does not want his team to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

From a fan perspective, it's tough to see transfer windows like the one that passed.

On the one hand, it's great that we no longer lose top players in a transfer window. That is a huge improvement.

On the other, we essentially have the same squad of players as last year. (Cech is an upgrade but not a league winning upgrade)

Wenger to me through his actions is saying that he's aiming for third and another FA cup run.
    The lack of a desire to even try to kick on this season leaves me a bit underwhelmed to be honest.

We're only what 4 games into the season, who genuinely thinks that we're title challengers this season?

I keep reading this 'can you look at the squad and say we're going to win the league' line.

I get that the answer's no but then all of a sudden you have people saying whey didn't we by Austin, Pedro, Schneiderlin, etc etc etc.

I still wouldn't be saying 'we're going to win the league' if we had bought them.

I mean if that's the criteria, then it was never going to end well. You can have 8 world class players for DMF in case of injury or suspension but only one of them can play and Giroud or Walcott have to.

The players weren't around this summer. Wenger gave Walcott a new contract for a reason. He's a great judge of talent and if his decision was to stick with the players he has instead of getting new players that aren't good enough, then fair enough.

I mean it comes back to our favourite question? Whose name up front would make us think we're going to win the league?

For me, nobody moved this summer that would make me think that. The only viable transfer option that would maybe convince me our first 11 had a real shot was Higuain ... and I don't think there can really be disagreement about this.

So the real question is ...are you pissed off Wenger didn't sign Higuain? Because frankly no-one else was good enough and available.

And I don't buy this 'it's not my job to name names'. We're the ones arguing the strength and judging the team - of course we should be able to name names.

Last year it wad 'fcuk Wenger, he should have got Balotelli'. The year before Soldado I think. This year we can't even pick a striker.

It's not about rediculous suggestions of Charlie Austin, second backup DMF's to a nailed on starter and extra wingers that don't fit our formation. People are really pissed off because we didn't get a signing and we've nothing new to be excited about.

Yes other clubs take more risks with money. It's why Chelsea have about 10 wingers on their books, City have spent a few hundred million on strikers and still just have Ageuro, and Utd have spent nearly half a billion in the last five years.

Maybe you want a manager that takes more risks and maybe you don't. Whichever way, Wenger has this and next season. Then we can just go and be like every other team and we'll see how that works out.

Caution though. Utd have ploughed through money we'll never have and still don't look that great. Wonder how we'll handle the post-wenger years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

I don't know gosplan, according to the club we have the resources to buy a player for 30+ million.
    You're telling me that you couldn't have bought a striker that was an upgrade on Welbeck / Campbell / Giroud for that kind of money.

I kinda agree with your point that we would probably still not have a title winning squad. However it would give the fans some hope.
    At the moment we KNOW we don't have a title winning squad as it's pretty much the same squad that finished third last year.

Signing a decent forward would at least allow us to hope that we could kick on this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

vetinari wrote: »
    From a fan perspective, it's tough to see transfer windows like the one that passed.

On the one hand, it's great that we no longer lose top players in a transfer window. That is a huge improvement.

Can you see it staying this way though, i can see Shanchez jumping ship next season to be honest, maybe Ozil as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I don't know gosplan, according to the club we have the resources to buy a player for 30+ million.
    You're telling me that you couldn't have bought a striker that was an upgrade on Welbeck / Campbell / Giroud for that kind of money.

Tbh with you, I would have agreed with you, but seems like 30 million these days will sign you a Benteke (could argue he's better than Giroud, I don't think so though) or Martial a completely unproven youngster (crazy money).

To get an upgrade on our current striker in today's market ya will be looking at 50+ million, which is affordable for Arsenal in fairness.

I kinda agree with your point that we would probably still not have a title winning squad. However it would give the fans some hope.
    At the moment we KNOW we don't have a title winning squad as it's pretty much the same squad that finished third last year.

Signing a decent forward would at least allow us to hope that we could kick on this season.

We could have, and maybe should have, signed competition for Giroud and Walcott.

But there was no way we were going to look like a title winning squad.

I'm not exonerating Wenger or anything. I think he feels he had two strikers who are probably not good enough so why sign a third striker who is probably not good enough.

I think a big indication of how hard it was to improve is that people are genuinely incensed that we didn't sign slightly better players to sit on the bench.

It may come back to bite us but there's a good chance it may not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Well Mandzukic definitely looked like a dodged bullet last night. Woeful out in Azerbaijan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

The timing of the Welbeck announcement is what makes it worse for the fans..

The other day Wenger announced that Welbeck was nearing fitness.
    Now this.
    Methinks lying is becoming part of the manager's big gamble.
    He knew Welbeck was out long before he made that statement.
    This is the worse part of the debacle for me.

Look I am as disappointed as the next fan that we couldn't manage to sign a World Class striker but I don't understand this. What was he supposed to say , Yes he is out for 4 months or 6 Months before the end of the window.
    In my opinion, that would have meant that the price of any striker that we wanted to sign would have increased as we would have been seen as desperate for a replacement.
    Again in my opinion, Wenger Keep it close to his chest in the hope that he could sign a striker without the added "desperate extra fee".

Look I am as disappointed as the next fan that we couldn't manage to sign a World Class striker but I don't understand this. What was he supposed to say , Yes he is out for 4 months or 6 Months before the end of the window.
    In my opinion, that would have meant that the price of any striker that we wanted to sign would have increased as we would have been seen as desperate for a replacement.
    Again in my opinion, Wenger Keep it close to his chest in the hope that he could sign a striker without the added "desperate extra fee".

That could have been said had we actually signed someone but we didn't so that makes it kind of a mute point.

That could have been said had we actually signed someone but we didn't so that makes it kind of a mute point.

No, it shows that they were looking for a striker. Still strange they didn't even settle for one who can do a job, or even go for a loan deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Not sure how it is a mute point as I believe that we were trying to sign a striker right up to deadline day so it would still have affected the fee.

:confused::confused::confused:

It was speculated all summer we were looking for a striker but we failed to sign one even when we knew Welbeck would be out for a sustained period meaning Wenger the board and his transfer team all failed to do there jobs regardless that's what makes it a mute point.

Sure what good is window shopping if you don't get the things you want or need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

People laughing at the possibility of getting Austin...I don't get it. While I totally agree Giroud is a better player he would have been decent back up, and this is what irritates the life and soul out of me, we're just always short when those inevitable injuries happen. When it became clear that we weren't getting a higuain or benzema have another plan. Austin was the type of player who would have don a job for us and at a decent price.

Laugh all you want but when Giroud does get injured and we have that light weight Walcott up front we'll be in trouble.

Sometimes it's about getting players in just to do a job for a short time.

:confused::confused::confused:

It was speculated all summer we were looking for a striker but we failed to sign one even when we knew Welbeck would be out for a sustained period meaning Wenger the board and his transfer team all failed to do there jobs regardless that's what makes it a mute point.

Sure what good is window shopping if you don't get the things you want or need.

It's not a moot point, because it's been explained why they did what they did. They might not have signed a striker, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have kept it quiet.
    People laughing at the possibility of getting Austin...I don't get it. While I totally agree Giroud is a better player he would have been decent back up, and this is what irritates the life and soul out of me, we're just always short when those inevitable injuries happen. When it became clear that we weren't getting a higuain or benzema have another plan. Austin was the type of player who would have don a job for us and at a decent price.

Laugh all you want but when Giroud does get injured and we have that light weight Walcott up front we'll be in trouble.

Sometimes it's about getting players in just to do a job for a short time.

Arsenal have got people in to do a job before, which makes this window pretty strange. Plenty of cash, and couldn't even bring in another Kallstrom or whoever to do a job up front when required for half a season.

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's not a moot point, because it's been explained why they did what they did. They might not have signed a striker, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have kept it quiet.

Oh right so they kept it quiet to keep the price down on the player we didn't sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I actually think Austin wouldn't have been a bad signing. I mean, he's not going to make us worse, is he.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Whilst it's understandable and reasonable to some, why they kept the Welbeck injury a secret, its not reasonable that we didn't get a striker in during the window. Because of that injury, our broadened from a WC striker to a decent back up striker also. Either would've worked given the injury, but to do neither is neglectful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Good grief... Which part of "there are no strikers available that would have improved us" do people not understand!

Look, I'm frustrated about Danny, and disappointed that we didn't sign a wc striker, but seriously, we're here discussing the merits of Charlie Austin and whether be'd improve our current options of OG or Theo??? Campbell maybe, but to me that's just a waste of money!

It appears there are people on this board who deliberately try and troll, and/or are just so self obsessed with running down the club and AW in particular it must seriously require some psychological intervention!!!

I give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

emmetlego wrote: »
    Good grief... Which part of "there are no strikers available that would have improved us" do people not understand!

Look, I'm frustrated about Danny, and disappointed that we didn't sign a wc striker, but seriously, we're here discussing the merits of Charlie Austin and whether be'd improve our current options of OG or Theo??? Campbell maybe, but to me that's just a waste of money!

It appears there are people on this board who deliberately try and troll, and/or are just so self obsessed with running down the club and AW in particular it must seriously require some psychological intervention!!!

I give up!

Ther is no trolling just very different points of view. You think there are no strikers available, plenty think there are if you pay the excess tax in the market at the minute.

I agree talk of Charlie Austin is mad, but people playing down our lack of purchases are the same ones that make excuses for Arsene and the club time and time again in every situation.

The window was a load of ****e, but its closed now and tbf to Arsene he will now be judged on that decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Not sure how it is a mute point

Mute point? You guys know it's moot right?

Ya know, like a Cow's opinion. It's moo! :P

Austin scored 18 goals for a team that got relegated...are we saying he couldn't replicate that with the likes of Ozil supplying him? It's all well and good laughing at the suggestion but at least he's proven he can score in the PL unlike Campbell who now seems to be our backup.

Austin scored 18 goals for a team that got relegated...are we saying he couldn't replicate that with the likes of Ozil supplying him? It's all well and good laughing at the suggestion but at least he's proven he can score in the PL unlike Campbell who now seems to be our backup.

He really isnt the answer to any problem we have. He is still in the championship not even middle PL clubs felt he was worth a shot.

He is a good player for some clubs but for us would have been a dreadful signing. I'd rather have given Akpon a go or persisted with Theo

Soups123 wrote: »

He is a good player for some clubs but for us would have been a dreadful signing. I'd rather have given Akpon a go or persisted with Theo

Me too but we shouldn't be relying on a 19 year old or a right winger to provide competition for our main striker. If Wenger really sees Theo as a striker then he needs to keep starting him there and he either blossoms or he fails. At least we will know then. We're not going to know if he's starting one game in every five.

3rd in the league, embarrassed in the last 16 of the CL by the team we wanted, but there's no-one we could have signed to improve us.

Me too but we shouldn't be relying on a 19 year old or a right winger to provide competition for our main striker. If Wenger really sees Theo as a striker then he needs to keep starting him there and he either blossoms or he fails. At least we will know then. We're not going to know if he's starting one game in every five.

Yep I agree. What has happened in the window has forced Arsene's hand I reckon we will see Giroud and Walcott rotated, the first one to find form will get the nod.

If he stays fit it will be Giroud, if he gets injured we'll have to get a real proper look at what Walcott can do.

Being honest, the is he a CF should have been put to bed a long time ago. For me he is right side of front 3 no good enough for CF

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Austin would have been good back up. Is he better than Campbell? Yes. Is he better than Akpom? Yes. Don't see the issue to be honest.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    Austin would have been good back up. Is he better than Campbell? Yes. Is he better than Akpom? Yes. Don't see the issue to be honest.

Come on Keano, you'd have been on here giving out if he was the signing. I agree something should have been done but he isnt the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

keano_afc wrote: »

So definitive! We all must be eejits so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

If Theo is to be the main striker, he needs support close to him, be it Ox, Alexis, Ramsey or whoever. Otherwise, I would like to see him on the wings again, where he has scored loads of goals, and breaks infield anyway.

The Ox needs to start finding the net more regularly or at least setting them up for others. A grand toal of 6 EPL goals in his Arsenal career, even allowing for his limited game time is very poor.

I would prefer Theo to get a run of games now on the wing.

I think Kos and Gab could be our main CB partnership this season.

Would Martinez ,Bacca, Benteke have improved us most definitely yes, and that's not even going over the previous windows and CFs who have moved who could have improved us.

But wait wait there's no player who has moved who would have made our team stronger.

It really is the laziest worst excuse that gets rolled out here time and time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I just cant see a reasonable argument for not bringing in Austin. To me it was a no brainier.

Could have been got on the cheap.
    Wages cheap.
    Proven PL scorer.
    Rate him as a better goalscorer than our other available options if/when Giroud gets injured.
    Young enough to sell on and get money back.

It's actually baffling. There is no logical argument no to get him.

I do like Walcott, and I'd still like to see him given a decent run up front - but with the way the season has started we just can't afford to take chances like that. The same goes for Campbell. It's just so naive that Wenger didn't bring someone like Austin in. If he's willing to take a punt on Kallstrom with a broken back why not Austin.

Would Martinez ,Bacca, Benteke have improved us most definitely yes, and that's not even going over the previous windows and CFs who have moved who could have improved us.

But wait wait there's no player who has moved who would have made our team stronger.

It really is the laziest worst excuse that gets rolled out here time and time again.

Easy in hindsight. Maybe one of these players would have been taken if Wenger knew how the window would pan out. Those players aren't the level he's looking for, from what I gather. I'm assuming he set his sights higher and missed out, by then a lot of the backup options were no longer available.

• Advertisement

If we're to have a decent season we really need Oxlade-Chamberlain to really step up and push on.

Easy in hindsight. Maybe one of these players would have been taken if Wenger knew how the window would pan out. Those players aren't the level he's looking for, from what I gather. I'm assuming he set his sights higher and missed out, by then a lot of the backup options were no longer available.

Set his sights higher that's what Wenger wants you to think with his constant rolling out of his exceptional talent line which has become an ongoing joke now.

Even if what you say us true it show a clear lack of planning in the transfer market and just wish fully hoping some thing comes off again negligence in the transfer market.

All 3 of then would have improved us and arguably taken Girouds spot on the first 11.

Martinez goals to game ratio is far superior than Girouds.

If we're to have a decent season we really need Oxlade-Chamberlain to really step up and push on.

Agreed he needs to really up his game and start fulfilling the talent he has shown since he arrived. He has yet to really up his on a consistent basis.

Had high hopes when he first arrived and really thought by now he would be a regular starter playing much better.

That's not good enough though. He's earning 7 million a year...there should always be a plan b. I mean it's pretty clear that the chances of us signing Benzema/Cavani were slim...he would have known this at the start of the window but still had no backup plan.

How long did it take for the club to realise we wouldn't pay the asking price for Cavani? "Panned out". :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement