Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Look I am as disappointed as the next fan that we couldn't manage to sign a World Class striker but I don't understand this. What was he supposed to say , Yes he is out for 4 months or 6 Months before the end of the window.
    In my opinion, that would have meant that the price of any striker that we wanted to sign would have increased as we would have been seen as desperate for a replacement.
    Again in my opinion, Wenger Keep it close to his chest in the hope that he could sign a striker without the added "desperate extra fee".

Is there any proof that Wenger even went shopping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Is there any proof that Wenger even went shopping?

Would that make you feel any better ?

http://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive/why-karim-benzema-arsenal-transfer-broke-down

not sure that it would

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

emmetlego wrote: »
    So definitive! We all must be eejits so!!!

Oh, so you don't agree? You think Joel Campbell and Chuba Akpom are better options than a guy who scored nearly 20 goals for a ****e team in the PL? Guess that makes me the eejit.

greendom wrote: »
    Would that make you feel any better ?

http://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive/why-karim-benzema-arsenal-transfer-broke-down

not sure that it would

So it was about money and wage structures. That's ok.http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/karim-benzema-to-arsenal-the-funds-are-there-says-arsene-wenger-10465273.html
    I knew we wouldn't sign anyone all along anyway.

How long did it take to not pay for Benzema and Cavani?

That's not good enough though. He's earning 7 million a year...there should always be a plan b. I mean it's pretty clear that the chances of us signing Benzema/Cavani were slim...he would have known this at the start of the window but still had no backup plan.

Plenty of other teams failed to deliver on a plan B for a prime target of theirs. Nothing unique to Arsenal.

There are plenty of attempted deals that go on that we don't even know of, so it's pretty hard to comment. We are also led to believe that a club is chasing a player when it might not have even happened at all.

Wenger has made things tough for himself this year, and even his supporters will struggle to find a reason to stick with him if he fails miserably again.

keano_afc wrote: »

Best thing I've read in the Mail for a very long time - fair play Jonny Singer - never heard of you before but your editor gave you the task of defending the indefensible and that was a fine job.

Has Adrian Durham commented yet?

Best thing I've read in the Mail for a very long time - fair play Jonny Singer - never heard of you before but your editor gave you the task of defending the indefensible and that was a fine job.

Has Adrian Durham commented yet?

I especially like the part where he says Arsenal fans were bulling that we didn't sign Lovren. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I think he's dead on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Got to admire that. He manages to troll the fans of basically all the big clubs, plus Liverpool. I'd say his editors are delighted with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Good article but we still need a world class striker....

I especially like the part where he says Arsenal fans were bulling that we didn't sign Lovren. :D:D:D

Never saw anyone in here saying we should have signed Lovren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

If we're to have a decent season we really need Oxlade-Chamberlain to really step up and push on.

Dead right.

No new players is a bit of a shame, but if guys like Ox & Rambo play to their potential, we'll have a great season.

And I believe we can challenge for the title this year. If things go right, this squad is good enough to beat anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Nice to see a bit of positivity in here for a change place has been poison since the season started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Nice to see a bit of positivity in here for a change place has been poison since the season started

Probably because I haven't been on In a week, In Lanzarote till Wednesday :P

Boo Wenger, #Wengerout

No seriously tho, pissed off we signed nobody, not surprised at all, glad we got 3 points at Newcastle but my god we need to improve and fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Probably because I haven't been on In a week, In Lanzarote till Wednesday :P

Boo Wenger, #Wengerout

No seriously tho, pissed off we signed nobody, not surprised at all, glad we got 3 points at Newcastle but my god we need to improve and fast.

And we have to hope none of our first team players don't get any serious injuries during the internationals.

Looper007 wrote: »
    And we have to hope none of our first team players don't get any serious injuries during the internationals.

Beware the double negative Looper :(

Beware the double negative Looper :(

Sorry Tayto but we do have bad luck when it comes to these damn internationals with our players. don't worry I be saying 12 hail marys tonight no one gets injured :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Great article about my (joint) favourite Arsenal player of all time.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/sep/04/golden-goal-ian-wright-arsenal-leeds-united-1995

I remember watching this goal on Match of the Day.
    How we could do with him now...

Kos voted man of the match in France's 1- 0 in Portugal

Hopefully he's fully re-discovered his form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

cashback wrote: »

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/sep/04/golden-goal-ian-wright-arsenal-leeds-united-1995

Cracking goal alright! :D

Kos voted man of the match in France's 1- 0 in Portugal

Hopefully he's fully re-discovered his form

Aside from the Palace goal, I don't think he's been bad. He started slowly but many great players do, look at Terry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

5 points is nothing.

We can win the league.

It's all in our hands.

City look great but they looked great for spells last season too.

gosplan wrote: »
    5 points is nothing.

We can win the league.

It's all in our hands.

So did we ..... and the season before .... and the season before .... and ..

A bit like Ronseal.

Every team has good spells.

Injuries and suspensions and the ability to replace like with like will decide the league. It usually does.

• Advertisement

Injuries and suspensions and the ability to replace like with like will decide the league. It usually does.

Except in the case of Chelsea last year. I would love for us to have a season like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

5 points is nothing.

We can win the league.

It's all in our hands.

I'll agree with you on that one people writing the league off already are nuts City always tend to have drops of form were they drop quite a good few points.

But we need to have an exceptional season to challenge is Cech on his own good enough to make up 12 points I wouldn't be to sure if we had signed a CF I would have put us up there with good odds if winning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So did we ..... and the season before .... and the season before .... and ..

A bit like Ronseal.

Every team has good spells.

Well no-one really can replace like for like so hopefully the injuries and suspensions will work in our favour.

Well no-one really can replace like for like so hopefully the injuries and suspensions will work in our favour.

Chelsea and City seem to have better options than us but here's hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

cashback wrote: »

Keown & Parlour lining up IN FRONT of the back four.

Jesus, we used to be really, really tough!

• Advertisement

I know it's only San Marino, but Theo already has 2 goals and should be on a hattrick within about 10-15 mins playing for England down the right. Don't know why he can't see that's his best position.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I know it's only San Marino, but Theo already has 2 goals and should be on a hattrick within about 10-15 mins playing for England down the right. Don't know why he can't see that's his best position.

Unfortunately our striker situation means he has to be protected. I can understand Wenger underusing him, if he's injured we're really in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

He did miss a fairly handy chance too to grab a hattrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=8m32c

Think this could work in 90% of games. Theo and Alexis have proven they are no #9's but as a pair they could both thrive centrally. They would also provide us with width with them taking turns to go out wide during different spells of a match. Giroud could play in tougher matches away from home where we would need to hold the ball up. This also allows us to get the best out of Cazorla and Ramsey, whilst keeping Ozil central.

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=8m32c

Think this could work in 90% of games. Theo and Alexis have proven they are no #9's but as a pair they could both thrive centrally. They would also provide us with width with them taking turns to go out wide during different spells of a match. Giroud could play in tougher matches away from home where we would need to hold the ball up. This also allows us to get the best out of Cazorla and Ramsey, whilst keeping Ozil central.

The main problem I'd have with that formation is it would leave the fullbacks even more exposed than they are at the moment! Our fullbacks are forever getting caught out of position when they go forward and leaving us libel at the back so to leave them even more exposed would be criminal for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

The main problem I'd have with that formation is it would leave the fullbacks even more exposed than they are at the moment! Our fullbacks are forever getting caught out of position when they go forward and leaving us libel at the back so to leave them even more exposed would be criminal for me.

Ramsey could cover the right side of the field with his engine but Id be worried about the left actually. Could play Wilshere instead of Santi as he would cover a lot more ground to track back or even the Ox in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I'll agree with you on that one people writing the league off already are nuts City always tend to have drops of form were they drop quite a good few points.

But we need to have an exceptional season to challenge is Cech on his own good enough to make up 12 points I wouldn't be to sure if we had signed a CF I would have put us up there with good odds if winning it.
    As though the only difference between our squad now and our squad 12 months ago is Cech. I hate this line of thinking, it's nonsense.

We have Cech, all our team is a year older (which is good for some, bad for others), we have a different injury list, we have a player in a pivotal role who wouldn't have been on the bench a year ago (Coquelin), no world cup hangovers (for us or for other teams).

So many factors have changed that even talking in terms of Cech making up the points difference or not is nonsensical.

Any more injuries yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/mattspiro/status/640971022909505536

Not what we want to hear ahead of the weekend.

He looked completely out of shape in our last game.
    Like he was at the pies.
    Needs to get his act together soon.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/mattspiro/status/640971022909505536

Not what we want to hear ahead of the weekend.

I prefer the tweet he sent beforehand

https://twitter.com/mattspiro/status/640969722524254209

Classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He'll come back and score 5 in 4 and all the usuals will be telling us how brilliant he is, then he'll get injured for a week and return as the donkey we've all gotten used to.

All strikrs go though lean patches and have bad nights, I think he is incredibly under valued.

Excellent blog on Giroud here.

http://goonersphere.com/columnists/tim-stillman/6301-olivier-giroud-the-unwanted-stepson

Thought this was particularly telling

At St. James’ Park in December 2013, he gashed his foot so badly that the blood soaked through his sock and began to surface on his boot. Arsene Wenger offered to remove him at half time but Giroud refused, sellotaped his foot back together and went onto score the winning goal in the second half. This is the sort of physical feat a more loved footballer would be celebrated for, especially in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Cant wait for the premiership to be back up and running, watching Ireland is depressing, glad we won and all but fcuk me its painful to sit through

wonga77 wrote: »
    Cant wait for the premiership to be back up and running, watching Ireland is depressing, glad we won and all but fcuk me its painful to sit through

I second this whole heartedly. What an awful game, but good result. Roll on Stoke...oh no wait...Can't be any worse ;)

Kos missed the game tonight through injury - no idea how serious or whether it was just precautionary. Couldn't go through an international break without at least 1 injury.

Kos has since denied he is injured :)

Kos missed the game tonight through injury - no idea how serious or whether it was just precautionary. Couldn't go through an international break without at least 1 injury.

Thank f*ck for that! Chambers looked well out of his depth in the game he had to fill in for Kos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I misread the word denied and thought you'd said Kos has since died. For a brief moment I thought 'Yep, typical'.

Sure he's the best we could get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'm surprised our medical staff havent killed any of our players by now. Surely only a matter of time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement