Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

What changes are we expecting for tomorrow? Debuchy, Gibbs and maybe Ox in for Monreal, Bellerin and Ramsey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Wouldn't mind Arteta replacing Coq so he's fresh for Saturday...we're going to need him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

shano_88 wrote: »
    What changes are we expecting for tomorrow? Debuchy, Gibbs and maybe Ox in for Monreal, Bellerin and Ramsey?

I think we need to wrap our first team midfielders In cotton wool right now. I rest Coq put in Arteta for him, give Ramsey a rest put on Ox instead on the right wing. I give Monreal a rest. Is Mert Fit? If he is I give Kos a rest too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Looper007 wrote: »
    I think we need to wrap our first team midfielders In cotton wool right now. I rest Coq put in Arteta for him, give Ramsey a rest put on Ox instead on the right wing. I give Monreal a rest. Is Mert Fit? If he is I give Kos a rest too.

Mert has not fully recovered from his virus, he also had a minor car crash yesterday evening.

greendom wrote: »
    Mert has not fully recovered from his virus, he also had a minor car crash yesterday evening.

Dat new medical team... :pac:

Ya, he trained with the squad today but isnt traveling to Zagreb according to reports.

Wenger wont make too many changes. Four at an absolute maximum I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

All this talk of resting players and if Wenger does it and we drop points he'll get rode for it , Screw that stick out our strongest team and lets get 3 points out in Zagreb 1st we'll worry about Chelsea then , This is a problem Arsenal have ....Lets rest players sure this'll be handy

Sure we were all sure we were going to put 5 or 6 past West Ham and look what happened there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

All this talk of resting players and if Wenger does it and we drop points he'll get rode for it , Screw that stick out our strongest team and lets get 3 points out in Zagreb 1st we'll worry about Chelsea then , This is a problem Arsenal have ....Lets rest players sure this'll be handy

Sure we were all sure we were going to put 5 or 6 past West Ham and look what happened there

And Anderlecht last season.
    You're right.
    I see at most 2 changes, a defender and a midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Regarding Chelski on Saturday I think Theo has to start. He's scored goals against them on numerous occasions. I cannot recollect OG ever playing well against that lot.

Should be able to make wholesale changes for tomorrow and still win comfortably. No excuses.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It would be so Arsenal to lose at the weekend it's hard to imagine any other outcome. :o

I'm gonna have to put a tenner on Chelsea this weekend...

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

What's with all the 'no excuses' stuff.

Can we at least watch the game first?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Manchester United and David Moyes, remember that, no game is a given! Im actually a bit nervous for Saturday.

Manchester United and David Moyes, remember that, no game is a given! Im actually a bit nervous for Saturday.

Me too.
    Mourinho usually gets the better of Wenger tactically.

Ramsey and Bellerin haven't travelled to Zagreb and are being given a rest.

Suprised there not travelling but happy enough with the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

More than likely Ramsey is dropped!!

emmetlego wrote: »

I doubt it, He'll start Saturday imo.

emmetlego wrote: »

he's probably our most energetic player on the pitch and has played in 2 high intensity games for Wales too. Good decision imo.

Dat new medical team... :pac:

Apparently the Germans don't believe in anti-biotics (anti-virals too I imagine) - go figure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I must be the only one nervous about both games away games in Europe are never easy.

And we'll Chelsea are Chelsea current champions with some dangerous player they will findeed form soon and this will be the exact kind if game that could kick them into gear hopefully not I do love to see Mourinho squirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

So both Manchesters lost tonight. But importantly, city lost Kompany to what looks like a serious enough calf injury, and they took a risk on Aguero with 20 to go... Now I know Juventus were brilliant in how they played the 'away' game, but they are not the same force as last year, and it shows that City are not going to be the invincible force some of the media would have you believe.

United were very poor, and made silly mistakes at bad times. They were not creative at all. If these sort of results continue, we may see the confidence of both the Mancs shook a little.

I was watching both games at once, but saw most of the key moments. I'm slightly more upbeat after those 2 games. Now all we need is a lackluster performance by Jose's men against the Israelites, and a comfortable display by the Gunners and a 4-0 win. Please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It would be so Arsenal to lose at the weekend it's hard to imagine any other outcome. :o

It is hard to shake that feeling.

Then I remind myself that if we had a start like them, and Sanchez, Ozil, Ramsey and Cazorla were coming to town (with that nasty piece of work Paulista ☺ ), I'd be sh*tting myself.

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!

Edit: Oh, yeah, and Giroud and, eh, Walcott. Ahem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Wouldn't mind Arteta replacing Coq so he's fresh for Saturday...we're going to need him.

Agree 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

It would be so typical Arsenal to lose to Chelsea but I really hope I'm wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I don't think we'll see wholescale changes.

I get it should be straightforward but the tried and tested route by managers seems to be qualify first, then rest players.

Putting out a second 11 could be a massive massive backfire.

Put out a decent squad, go a couple of goals up if possible and then take it handy.

Arteta for Coq would completely change the way we've been playing for months. With no Ramsey, it'd be a very lightweight midfield asking for trouble tbh.

I'd go.

Debuchy - Gab - Kos - Gibbs
    Coq - Arteta
    Ox - Ozil - Sanchez
    Giroud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Good management by Wenger resting Ramsey. We have overplayed him in the past and burned him out so good to see a change of approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

I strongly dislike both Manchester teams, but when i saw the results last night i was pretty disappointed. We really need all the English teams to start performing in the champions league this season. Another couple of years of this nonsense and we'll lose a champions league spot.
    English football with all its TV money - is quickly falling from grace!

DeclanRe wrote: »
    I strongly dislike both Manchester teams, but when i saw the results last night i was pretty disappointed. We really need all the English teams to start performing in the champions league this season. Another couple of years of this nonsense and we'll lose a champions league spot.
    English football with all its TV money - is quickly falling from grace!

Yes on the one hand it's great fun to see them lose, but then you see the wider implications and realise they need to be winning those games.

Does it also point to wider problems in the English game that the best teams in the league seem incapable of competing at a European level ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I know what your saying but I love seeing them beaten, especially City

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes on the one hand it's great fun to see them lose, but then you see the wider implications and realise they need to be winning those games.

Does it also point to wider problems in the English game that the best teams in the league seem incapable of competing at a European level ?

Yeah, at what point does the premier league lose the fourth Champions league place?

I also enjoy watching them lose, but what I really hate is seeing any player get injured like that. Hope Shaw comes back the same player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, at what point does the premier league lose the fourth Champions league place?

I also enjoy watching them lose, but what I really hate is seeing any player get injured like that. Hope Shaw comes back the same player.

I think we're OK for now but if the Italian and German teams perform as well again this season and the English teams as poorly then we'll probably be down to 3 next year

[URL="https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/118666/362548.png[/IMG][/URL]

English clubs finished ahead of the Germans last year but start off behind then this year as the Germans have been better over the last 4 years. Also worth noting that performances in the Europa league count towards this coefficient.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Because its a rolling calculation, next year will not include the 2011/12 season where England had a good year compared to Italy. Without that year and if Italy get good results this year then next year will be very interesting. By my calculation, without 2011/12 Italy are ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

And we'll Chelsea are Chelsea current champions with some dangerous player they will findeed form soon and this will be the exact kind if game that could kick them into gear hopefully not I do love to see Mourinho squirm.

Posting under the influence or just rushed the post? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Some interesting stats from the top 5 leagues in Europe
    Most shots (per game)
    Arsenal – 22.4
    Bayern Munich – 21.3
    Real Madrid – 21
    Roma – 19.3
    Napoli – 19.3

Most chances created (per game)
    Mesut Ozil (Arsenal) – 5
    Santi Cazorla (Arsenal) – 4.6
    Fran Rico (Granada) – 4
    Dusan Tadic (Southampton), Abdel Barrada (Marseille), Wahbi Khazri (Bordeaux) – 3.8

Most tackles (per game)
    Augusto Fernandez (Celta Vigo) – 6.3
    Mehdi Lacen (Getafe) – 5.7
    Keko (Eibar) – 5.7
    Jean –Daniel Akpa-Akpro (Toulouse) – 5.4
    Marten de Roon (Atalanta), Miguel Lopes (Granada) – 5.3

Highest Premier League player: Francis Coquelin (Arsenal), Jordan Amavi (Aston Villa), Patrick van Aanholt (Sunderland), Ritchie de Laet (Leicester) – 4.4

We have the top 2 chance creating players in Europe in our team atm and we are taking the most shots in the whole of Europe. Just gotta start taking even a small % more of our chances and we will be flying.

Its been an ok start to the season but those numbers give me encouragement.

Maybe with a run of games up top wally can start converting. If he did we would be devastating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Because its a rolling calculation, next year will not include the 2011/12 season where England had a good year compared to Italy. Without that year and if Italy get good results this year then next year will be very interesting. By my calculation, without 2011/12 Italy are ahead

It actually includes 2011/12 as it's the sum of the coefficients for the previous 5 seasons. So that's a live table so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

wonga77 wrote: »

Christ thats a great team there. who from our current team would get into that team? possibly the full backs although I loved that back 4. Ozil and Alexis but for who? Petit and Viera were an amazing midfield. Obviously the change from standard 4 4 2 to 4 2 3 1 or whatever its classed as muddies the waters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Two years later Overmars and Petit went to Barcelona. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Probably my favourite team of all time. Obviously had some week points, but as a team they were brilliant.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Probably my favourite team of all time. Obviously had some week points, but as a team they were brilliant.

Obviously! Only won the barely worth mentioning Charity Shield that year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

L'prof wrote: »
    I think we're OK for now but if the Italian and German teams perform as well again this season and the English teams as poorly then we'll probably be down to 3 next year

[URL="https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/118666/362548.png[/IMG][/URL]

English clubs finished ahead of the Germans last year but start off behind then this year as the Germans have been better over the last 4 years. Also worth noting that performances in the Europa league count towards this coefficient.

Be nice to see

PSV and United get through - No Wolfsburg
    Juve and City - No Borussia Monchengladbach
    Barcelona and Roma - No Bayer Leverkusen

You'd imagine if this happened and Us and Chelsea also got through, We'd close the gap on Germany

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Be nice to see

PSV and United get through - No Wolfsburg
    Juve and City - No Borussia Monchengladbach
    Barcelona and Roma - No Bayer Leverkusen

You'd imagine if this happened and Us and Chelsea also got through, We'd close the gap on Germany

Depends on how Dortmund, Shalke and Augsburg get on in the Europa League compared to Liverpool and Spurs. West Ham went out in the qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Well that's him ****ed so!

Well that's him ****ed so!

Hope they haven't employed any of our ex-medical team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Was that in France against Lens? I remember we kept conceding in the last minute in most of our group games that season. Tony Verailles got a last minute winner or equaliser for Lens iirc.

Team to face Dinamo Zagreb: Ospina, Debuchy, Gabriel, Koscielny, Gibbs, Chamberlain, Arteta, Cazorla, Sanchez, Ozil, Giroud.

Would have played Walcott tonight for the simple reason that he scored 3 goals for England the last time he played in that stadium. Horses for courses kind of thing. Anyway he needs a run at CF as Welbeck is out for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Big game for Arteta. Hopefully can prove he is able for 90 minutes and can provide adequate cover for rotation with Coquelin.

Big game for Arteta. Hopefully can prove he is able for 90 minutes and can provide adequate cover for rotation with Coquelin.

Yes.
    Lots of changes, six in all.
    Some lads getting the chance to show their worth.
    Hope they are up to it as it would be great to have good selection headaches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Arteta is well able for 90 minutes imo, not sure when he ever showed he wasn't

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement