Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

What annoys me most about last night is that we rested players for the weekend and will probably go on to win neither match! It wouldn't be the 1st time we've done this either. Rotation is important. I get that, but no away game is going to be straightforward enough to make so many changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Watched the Chelsea game they coughed up a lot of Chances last night there still leaky at the back

I reckon we will create a few chances we just need to put them away

That's the big thing about Saturday's game. We haven't been nearly ruthless enough at all this season, wasting chance after chance. We can't afford to do this against Chelsea regardless of their form. Imo chances will be few and far between on Saturday, so we have to take any that come our way otherwise we will lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

For me Arteta was never a DM. Why he's regularly referred to one baffles me.

Anyway regardless of what type of midfield player he is its sad to say I think he's finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Arsene claiming their first goal was offside, didnt see the build up to it. Any truth to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Arsene claiming their first goal was offside, didnt see the build up to it. Any truth to it?

The only thing he is still world class at is making excuses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

None.

wawaman wrote: »
    The only thing he is still world class at is making excuses
    Quazzie wrote: »
    None.

No. Watching it live, I did think there was a chance it could have been but looking at this I don't think so.

That's stopped just after the ball is struck too, best I could do.

362693.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

L'prof wrote: »
    No. Watching it live, I did think there was a chance it could have been but looking at this I don't think so.

That's stopped just after the ball is struck too, best I could do.

362693.png

From that, it looks like the defender has played him on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Wenger is silly to pick out their first goal, especially when there was more then a hint of offside about Walcotts finish

• Advertisement

Pter wrote: »

Decided to have another look and he actually looks slightly off in that pic but, like I said, the ball has already been struck. I'd say he was just on. Close, but not one I'd be complaining about!

362702.png

wonga77 wrote: »
    Wenger is silly to pick out their first goal, especially when there was more then a hint of offside about Walcotts finish

Yeah, Walcott was definitely offside. Was offside the whole night when he came on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

it may not have been offside but it was bloody lucky!

If Joel was ever going to get a run in the squad, it should probably be now.

Didn't get much time but he didn't impress last night

greendom wrote: »

He was woeful last night, I wouldn't mind if he never played for us again. He really was that bad!!!

• Advertisement

In fairness, he has never got a decent run, which is more than can be said for OG and Theo, both of whom were also pretty useless last night.

In fairness, he has never got a decent run, which is more than can be said for OG and Theo, both of whom were also pretty useless last night.

Walcott was our biggest threat when he came on last night. Offside or not he got a goal to get us back into the game. Campbell did absolutely nothing. He's scored 18 goals in 142 club appearances!

L'prof wrote: »
    Walcott was our biggest threat when he came on last night. Offside or not he got a goal to get us back into the game. Campbell did absolutely nothing. He's scored 18 goals in 142 club appearances!

Didn't realise his stats were that bad. Jeez!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Gibbs was pathetic last night, lack of desire and effort. Very little combination play with Alexis like Monreal. Played like a kid.

Ox also was so poor, defensively he isnt at the races at all. That should be the end of him starting now for the time being. Walcott/Ramsey on the right.

Debuchy was poor for the first goal perhaps, but the Ox put him in a terrible situation. I thought he was good enough other than that, pushed on when he could and links up well with others. Few well timed important tackles.

Arteta was bad. The lack of competition for Coquelin now is glaring, and is as bad as the lack of a forward signing. Maybe a super quality striker was not available, but a defensive MF? I'm sure we could have added here. Arteta is not Coquelin, and it's the latter's game we need.

Nothing needs to be said for Giroud. He is low on confidence clearly, but its the same missed chances, whinging, poor lay offs, losing it in contact...and then a brainless sending off. I wish he would man up. Even my wife sees he isnt great now, she remarked "Giroud was rubbish anyway wasnt he, he is always very hot and cold".

The lack of leadership was evident too last night, where was the game management? We gradually let these inferior teams come on to us, we had warning after warning but we don't learn. Silly passing, lack of effort which lets the momentum build for the opposition. Why we can't go out and control the game, be authoritive and impose outselves.

So frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Initially I was annoyed at Wenger for making too many changes, but let's just take the 6 players that came in on their own merits for a moment; these weren't young hopefuls hoping to make the breakthrough, it's not like 5 years ago when we threw on the likes of Bendtner and Traore and Denilson. Debuchy and Giroud are experienced French internationals. Gibbs is 25 and has been first choice and has plenty of experience, Arteta has been first choice and has unquestionable experience, Ospina is an international goalkeeper who has adequate experience, and Chamberlain is the only one of them who hasn't been first choice for an extended period but this is his 5th season and for a few years we've been awaiting that season where he pushes on and steps up but we're still waiting.

Even with the changes that was still a strong enough team to go and win that game. There was nobody on that team who could be considered a promising inexperienced youngster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I thought he was very bad, and he should have been sent off too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

If If If, sick of it. It's Wenger's job to motivate his team nobody else's and If you want to blame the players so be it, but who signed them players?

I would'nt fully agree with this, yes the manager should motivate the team. But also the players need to do it for themselves. The motivation should be coming from with the camp, improving and reaching targets they set themselves.

Apologies for switching codes, But the Kerry GAA Manager always refers to the players driving the camp, it's the players that drive the thing. The management set the paramaters, but the players must take responsibility. The motivation should be coming from training, where Gibbs should be like a wild dog trying to get the jersey off Monreal. Is he doing that?

Is training a glorified kick about?

We saw in the hurling 2 weeks ago, it was a player who gave the rousing talk at half time. The managers work is done really when they arrive at the stadium.

Who gave the hairdryer last night at HT? Arteta was playing too bad himself to give it. Kos? Gibbs too meek and playing like a goat.

I doubt much was said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Gibbs was pathetic last night, lack of desire and effort. Very little combination play with Alexis like Monreal. Played like a kid.

Ox also was so poor, defensively he isnt at the races at all. That should be the end of him starting now for the time being. Walcott/Ramsey on the right.

Debuchy was poor for the first goal perhaps, but the Ox put him in a terrible situation. I thought he was good enough other than that, pushed on when he could and links up well with others. Few well timed important tackles.

Arteta was bad. The lack of competition for Coquelin now is glaring, and is as bad as the lack of a forward signing. Maybe a super quality striker was not available, but a defensive MF? I'm sure we could have added here. Arteta is not Coquelin, and it's the latter's game we need.

Nothing needs to be said for Giroud. He is low on confidence clearly, but its the same missed chances, whinging, poor lay offs, losing it in contact...and then a brainless sending off. I wish he would man up. Even my wife sees he isnt great now, she remarked "Giroud was rubbish anyway wasnt he, he is always very hot and cold".

The lack of leadership was evident too last night, where was the game management? We gradually let these inferior teams come on to us, we had warning after warning but we don't learn. Silly passing, lack of effort which lets the momentum build for the opposition. Why we can't go out and control the game, be authoritive and impose outselves.

So frustrating.

Very good post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Wenger is the first manager to lose 50 CL games.

jester77 wrote: »
    Wenger is the first manager to lose 50 CL games.

I saw a stat the other day where his teams have been in more Champion's League matches than all but 4 CLUBS. Not really suprising he has lost more when he has played so many more than others.

The only one who ever looks to take charge is Coq, even when he came on last night he started barking orders and made a few tackles, his progression over the last few months is admirable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Stats mean nothing without context. For example;
    Arsenal have suffered defeat 46 more times than Tottehham Hotspur have in the Champions League.

The only one who ever looks to take charge is Coq, even when he came on last night he started barking orders and made a few tackles, his progression over the last few months is admirable

I think he could be a real leader. I'm still hoping that Arteta has something in his locker for when Coquelin is unavailable but the signs did not look good last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

I think he could be a real leader. I'm still hoping that Arteta has something in his locker for when Coquelin is unavailable but the signs did not look good last night.

My opinion has completely changed in the last year. But Coq, Bellerin and Monreal are for me possibly the 3 most important players we have at the minute. Ozil and Sanchez are bonuses - But if it was a decision to have those 3 or Ozil and Sanchez in the team, i'd pick the 3 guys every time, which is a crazy statement. But i really think they are holding this team together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

He's by far are best player so far this season, along with Gabriel. I'm really worried if he get's injured and we're stuck with Arteta who hasn't the legs anymore and really shouldn't be playing for Arsenal, Wenger is only keeping him around cause he's a good influence on the dressing room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Arteta lost it even before his injury. To be fair to him he's not a DM and he should have been sold on during the summer. I think Wenger has to be at blame for not signing a DM, plenty out there better then Arteta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The lack of strength in depth in key areas a night like last night shows up really reinforces how negligent it was to not reinforce the squad in the summer... instead going out at the group stage is a real possibility now give there's 2 games v Bayern Munich & an away game in Athens that will be far from easy... AW messed up last night IMO... I just hope there's enough fight in the squad to make up for it in the remaining games.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

DvB wrote: »
    The lack of strength in depth in key areas a night like last night shows up really reinforces how negligent it was to not reinforce the squad in the summer... instead going out at the group stage is a real possibility now give there's 2 games v Bayern Munich & an away game in Athens that will be far from easy... AW messed up last night IMO... I just hope there's enough fight in the squad to make up for it in the remaining games.

Fight isn't something I have seen in an arsenal team in 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I wouldnt mind coming third in the group if we gave the Europa League a proper shot.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Fight isn't something I have seen in an arsenal team in 10 years.

No fight when we beat City at the Ethiad or United at Old Trafford last season. No fight when we were 2-0 down against Hull in the Cup Final ?

These are just off the top of my head and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples

Maybe consistant fight rather than one off games here and there? the inconsistancy in our play is baffling.

I know the same applies to both teams, well we had to travel last night whereas Chelsea did not but is it not a bit odd to be the early kickoff saturday after playing CL on a wednesday night?

Maybe consistant fight rather than one off games here and there? the inconsistancy in our play is baffling.

a performance like last night would help to blot out anything good we've done recently, and they do crop up every now and again. 2 already this season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I know the same applies to both teams, well we had to travel last night whereas Chelsea did not but is it not a bit odd to be the early kickoff saturday after playing CL on a wednesday night?

Yeah I think it's stupid, should at least be a later kick off. As always though the TV companies basically decide kick off times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

I wouldnt mind coming third in the group if we gave the Europa League a proper shot.

I Would prefer we're totally out rather than Europa league, there's far too many games in Europa league and playing games on Thursday will further hinder us, as it's been proven with Spurs and other teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I Would prefer we're totally out rather than Europa league, there's far too many games in Europa league and playing games on Thursday will further hinder us, as it's been proven with Spurs and other teams.

Id like a run in Europe though and we all know it wont come in the Champions League. We could be only in with a fight for top four by the time our first Europa game comes about and Id fancy us to still finish ahead of Liverpool and Spurs still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I would'nt fully agree with this, yes the manager should motivate the team. But also the players need to do it for themselves. The motivation should be coming from with the camp, improving and reaching targets they set themselves.

Apologies for switching codes, But the Kerry GAA Manager always refers to the players driving the camp, it's the players that drive the thing. The management set the paramaters, but the players must take responsibility. The motivation should be coming from training, where Gibbs should be like a wild dog trying to get the jersey off Monreal. Is he doing that?

Is training a glorified kick about?

We saw in the hurling 2 weeks ago, it was a player who gave the rousing talk at half time. The managers work is done really when they arrive at the stadium.

Who gave the hairdryer last night at HT? Arteta was playing too bad himself to give it. Kos? Gibbs too meek and playing like a goat.

I doubt much was said.

But again, If It Is the players you are blaming you must look at the man who signed those players.

I don't know what Gibbs Is like In training or If training Is a glorified kick about but If It Is and If Gibbs get's away with showing no desire In training once again, who does that fall on?? The manager.
    The managers work is done really when they arrive at the stadium.

Do you honestly believe that? I don't think that could be any further from the truth. The sentence alone saddens me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

arsenal are a joke tbh. need to get there act toegther

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

It's mental to think there were plenty of people in here after the window shut who thought sure there was no players who could improve us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

It's mental to think there were plenty of people in here after the window shut who thought sure there was no players who could improve us.

gimme a list of players who can improve us!

we need LISTS!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Not buy another DM was criminal. There were at least 3 DMs better than our lot available and yet we didn't budge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Not buy another DM was criminal. There were at least 3 DMs better than our lot available and yet we didn't budge.

We have Arteta tho :pac:

At the beginning of last season I seem to remember that our shots to goals ratio was abnormally high. It's gone the other way this season. It could just be a statistical anomaly and will move back to the 10% range over the next few months. Time will tell

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I wonder if Coquelin will get any recognition from the French national team, he's not a "name" but he probably deserves it, especially if he keeps being Arsenal's MVP

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement