Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

It's mental to think there were plenty of people in here after the window shut who thought sure there was no players who could improve us.

give us a list of players that were available and are better then what we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Jesus ****ing Christ I'm so sick of this rubbish

A lot of people are sick of the same crap being spouted after every loss as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

FFS every single time this moronic argument comes up.

Top of my head Kondogbia, Martinez, Bacca and Benteke that's without even looking.

Add on top if that the thousands we pay out on scouts and transfer team anyone who says give me a list is a moron.

Plenty of player could have improved upon that lot last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Top of my head Kondogbia, Martinez, Bacca and Benteke that's without even looking.

Add on top if that the thousands we pay out on scouts and transfer team anyone who says give me a list is a moron.

Hahahahaha given Johnny's posting history I'm pretty sure that It was sarcasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Bacca
    Jackson Martinez
    Illarramendi
    krychowiak
    Kondogbia
    Carvalho

Just off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

I love how Benteke is now better than Giroud:D An out of form low on confidence Giroud has the same scoring stats as Benteke despite less time on pitch. Both have missed a couple of howlers also. at least we know that is Giroud at is worst. Benteke is incredibly over rated by a lot on here.

We had people raving about Bony in the past as a similar standard. proven not to be so far at the highest level. Gomis was flavour of the month there a couple of weeks ago.

Giroud is going through a terrible patch...a real low point...yet he is still at this time on a higher standard to all those players. he needs the bench for now but I won't be joining the hyperbole club who after 3/4 games now describe him as useless and worse things than that. He has consistently scored for Arsenal and will do so soon again.

as Tim Stilman said on Twitter this morning...I really feel for people's health with their crazy reactions and swings to the result of a football match. I think it makes morons of more than the people who ask legitimate questions about transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Shame about last night. ****e performance overall and poor judgement from OG. Ref had it in for him after the petulance that led to first yellow.

Let's hope they can bounce back against Chelsea.

COYG!!!

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    This thread is a pain in the hole after a defeat.

Sometimes teams just don't play well, lads. It happens.

Lost one game - one f*ckin game - in a group stage we never, ever fail to get out of.

You'd swear we just lost ten on the bounce.

Get a grip.
    Without at least one result against Bayern we're probably gonna have to win the other 3 matches. No room for error now.
    shano_88 wrote: »
    Every bad result is Wenger out. Never the players fault, they get such an easy ride.
    Who bought them and put them on the pitch?
    greendom wrote: »
    Gabriel has absolutely proved that he is 1st choice as centre back. Only positives tonight for me
    In for who? Sorry but there seems to be a direct correlation between Mertesacker not starting and us having no shape to our defence. The set-plays last night were embarrassing and that generally relies on a GK or CB.
    didn't get to see game live...just heard result and then came home to watch. Read some of the reaction and expected the worst mick ever. This won't b popular but we really should have been 2 nil up after 20 mins. even at 1-0 down if we keep 11 men on the field I'd feel we would have won this game.
    I'm not trying to get at you in particular but aside from the matches we lost against big sides over the years just about all our poor defeats come when we "should" have scored early on. It happens far too often and has been for an awfully long time now.

Whatever about squad changes, a comparison of quality shows no excuse for Arsenal. One thing that springs to mind is Dundalk v BATE in the CL qualifiers. In the second leg BATE just needed to hold on for a draw which they did. There was no criticising the Dundalk players because they put in everything, there was just an obvious difference in class. The difference in class between Arsenal's side last night (let's be honest, the 11 starters would be in the 18-20 we'd always want in a matchday squad) and Zagreb should have been as clear to see. There's times we play a 3rd-string team and decimate a Championship team in the League Cup, like properly decimate. How our half 1st-string/half 2nd-string side last night couldn't do the same to the opposition last night is up for discussion. The fact that it was just about everyone suggests something wrong in preparation.

And on Arteta, last night he looked like a Dundalk player against BATE except a couple of years older. People say he's good enough for 2/3 of PL opposition but it certainly didn't look like it last night.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    gimme a list of players who can improve us!

we need LISTS!

:pac:

Always reminds me of this. :P https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binders_full_of_women

• Advertisement

At the beginning of last season I seem to remember that our shots to goals ratio was abnormally high. It's gone the other way this season. It could just be a statistical anomaly and will move back to the 10% range over the next few months. Time will tell

Yes, I'm sure It's just a statistical anomaly and has nothing to do with the fact that our strikers can't finish and we have the worst conversation rate In the premier league :confused:

I love how Benteke is now better than Giroud:D An out of form low on confidence Giroud has the same scoring stats as Benteke despite less time on pitch. Both have missed a couple of howlers also. at least we know that is Giroud at is worst. Benteke is incredibly over rated by a lot on here.

We had people raving about Bony in the past as a similar standard. proven not to be so far at the highest level. Gomis was flavour of the month there a couple of weeks ago.

Giroud is going through a terrible patch...a real low point...yet he is still at this time on a higher standard to all those players. he needs the bench for now but I won't be joining the hyperbole club who after 3/4 games now describe him as useless and worse things than that. He has consistently scored for Arsenal and will do so soon again.

as Tim Stilman said on Twitter this morning...I really feel for people's health with their crazy reactions and swings to the result of a football match. I think it makes morons of more than the people who ask legitimate questions about transfers.

I'm sorry about yea but my reaction to Giroud is more than hyperbole I've been saying for 3 years he's not good enough so kind of makes your whole post null and void.

We could debate over Benteke and Giroud all day long but one thing that can't be debated is well never see Giroud score a goal like Benteke dId against United hrs just not that calibre of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

How harsh are some on Joel Campbell. He has played 20 minutes football in near 6 months. Some would want to give there head a shake in here. He gave a sublime through ball to Walcott when he came on and put himself about. Give the lad a break. Cazorla was one of our worse players last night and nothing is said about him, he couldnt even beat the first man on any of his corners ffs.

Yes, I'm sure It's just a statistical anomaly and has nothing to do with the fact that our strikers can't finish and we have the worst conversation rate In the premier league :confused:

Read this if you don't understand that generally conversion rates even out over a season. The importance is creating lots of shooting opportunities, and limiting the opposition's.

http://www.7amkickoff.com/2015/whisper-it-arsenal-are-title-challengers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Glad we agree for once :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

What a fcuking day I had!

Basil3 wrote: »
    Read this if you don't understand that generally conversion rates even out over a season. The importance is creating lots of shooting opportunities, and limiting the opposition's.

http://www.7amkickoff.com/2015/whisper-it-arsenal-are-title-challengers/

Thanks, I didn't know that. Our conversion rate will improve If our strikers start converting, at this stage It's nearly a case of "throw enough sh1t at a wall and some of it will stick."

I can only hope that we will improve and start converting more of our chances but as It stands I am correct In saying that we have the worst conversion rate In the league, blaming that on anything else other than our strikers playing poorly Is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thanks, I didn't know that. Our conversation rate will improve If our strikers start converting, at this stage It's nearly a case of "throw enough sh1t at a wall and some of it will stick."

I can only hope that we will improve and start converting more of our chances but as It stands I am correct In saying that we have the worse conversation rate In the league, blaming that on anything else other than our strikers playing poorly Is ridiculous.
    Freudian slips?

Thanks, I didn't know that. Our conversation rate will improve If our strikers start converting, at this stage It's nearly a case of "throw enough sh1t at a wall and some of it will stick."

I can only hope that we will improve and start converting more of our chances but as It stands I am correct In saying that we have the worse conversation rate In the league, blaming that on anything else other than our strikers playing poorly Is ridiculous.

Indeed it is their fault, but you shouldn't expect them to be this rubbish all season. That would definitely be a statistical anomaly.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Freudian slips?

Haha well spotted, I sure hope so otherwise I need to go back to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

efb wrote: »
    What a fcuking day I had!

Still raging over that crap performance last night. Players should hang their heads in shame.
    Still raging over Wenger's excuses "the players who came in played well". Should hang his head in shame.
    He gets an easy ride in his interviews too. Far too easy.
    We are in deep sh1t if anything happens to Coquelin.

^^^

I'm very confused. What Was EFB referring to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

^^^

I'm very confused. What Was EFB referring to?

Probably being ribbed at work about Arsenal's inept performance.

Probably being ribbed at work about Arsenal's inept performance.

Ah, I guess there Is more than one upside to working In an office full of women :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Had a little gooner support group in my office luckily United also lost and Liverpool are not capable of qualifying for the competition so there was no abuse.

• Advertisement

Much worse lads. Nothing to do with Arsenal.
    Work politics

Anyway. Isn't Giroud a useless French fcuk :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

He'll never be the striker some want him to be. And he's in very poor form right now and needs to be used from the bench.

However Sanchez leads Europe at the moment in terms of missed shots per game and is on 0 goals.

I know he rescued us last season but Giroud also broke a record in terms of scoring in consecutive games. What was it? Like 9 or something?

He's not what he want but he's good at times.

Criticisim of him goes way over the top.

gosplan wrote: »
    He'll never be the striker some want him to be. And he's in very poor form right now and needs to be used from the bench.

However Sanchez leads Europe at the moment in terms of missed shots per game and is on 0 goals.

I know he rescued us last season but Giroud also broke a record in terms of scoring in consecutive games. What was it? Like 9 or something?

He's not what he want but he's good at times.

Criticisim of him goes way over the top.

Criticism at times may be over the top but I suspect that's due to the fact we expect more from a first choice CF.

He's a good squad player the fact he is generally considered our first choice CF is what causes the frustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Criticism at times may be over the top but I suspect that's due to the fact we expect more from a first choice CF.

He's a good squad player the fact he is generally considered our first choice CF is what causes the frustration.

Agreed. I think one of the big problems is that Arsenal fans think some of the players are a lot better than they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

gosplan wrote: »
    Agreed. I think one of the big problems is that Arsenal fans think some of the players are a lot better than they are.

they are pretty good but not many are beter then giroud

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Still raging over that crap performance last night. Players should hang their heads in shame.
    Still raging over Wenger's excuses "the players who came in played well". Should hang his head in shame.
    He gets an easy ride in his interviews too. Far too easy.
    We are in deep sh1t if anything happens to Coquelin.

Wenger knows best. The same old Arsensal.......different season. Play well, don't play well, no consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

So whats everyone's team for Chelsea
    Pretty obvious in my opinion

Cech
    Bellerin Kosceilny Gabriel Monreal
    Coq Cazorla
    Ramsey Ozil Sanchez
    Theo

Campbell would be the first substitution i'd make too, if Sanchez or Theo(Sanchez moves upfront) weren't performing

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Wenger knows best. The same old Arsensal.......different season. Play well, don't play well, no consistency.

Errrr. First half of last season, consistently average. Second half, consistently good. You want more consistent consistency?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

DeclanRe wrote: »

Cech
    Coq Cazorla
    Ramsey Ozil Sanchez
    Theo

Campbell would be the first substitution i'd make too, if Sanchez or Theo(Sanchez moves upfront) weren't performing

Depends how Chelsea set up. If they sit deep it simply has to be Giroud that starts up front. it being Stamford Bridge though they might just go for it, in that case I'd go with Theo. Other than that you couldn't really change that lineup.

Let's hope Cech keeps up his good clean sheet record in Stamford Bridge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Basil3 wrote: »
    Errrr. First half of last season, consistently average. Second half, consistently good. You want more consistent consistency?

Yes I do. From the squad we have, we should be getting that.

Cech
    Coq Cazorla
    Ramsey Ozil Sanchez
    Theo

I know Giroud was idiotic on Wednesday but no way does Campbell deserve to be in games ahead of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Just to lighten the mood.

Dont shoot the messenger :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Ozil agent hinting he may leave in summer.

I always thought he would move on when contract is up alright.

Just has never looked truely happy and constant slating from the media doesn't help.

if it does happen I wouldn't be too upset, providing we can get the sort of fee we paid for him

• Advertisement

I know Giroud was idiotic on Wednesday but no way does Campbell deserve to be in games ahead of him

No - but what i'd like to see, is if Sanchez ain't playing well, Cambell gets a run out. And if Theo ain't doing it, I think Sanchez should go up front, and Ox or Campbell come on.

I dont think Giroud should be considered at all, i'd leave him until the capital one cup against Spurs, he may find some form in that game, either way if he doesn't perform, its just the Capital one cup

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Ozil agent hinting he may leave in summer.

I always thought he would move on when contract is up alright.

Just has never looked truely happy and constant slating from the media doesn't help.

Its his boyhood club Fenerbache, I imagine he will go to them eventually, but not for a few more years, if he wants to play at a top level and wants to get his game foe Germany, he'll stay with us, or at least go to a top club. Which we should get a decent transfer for him.

No - but what i'd like to see, is if Sanchez ain't playing well, Cambell gets a run out. And if Theo ain't doing it, I think Sanchez should go up front, and Ox or Campbell come on.

I dont think Giroud should be considered at all, i'd leave him until the capital one cup against Spurs, he may find some form in that game, either way if he doesn't perform, its just the Capital one cup

He came on for 25 mins against Stoke and scored. He hit the post and forced the keeper into a great save against Zagreb. He's not in great form I agree but at least he is scoring and hitting the target. And Over the last 3 seasons he has proven far more than Campbell ever will (imo). JC should be nowhere near the first team while our other strikers are fit and available.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If the opposition set up to sit deep and defend Giroud has to play, we have no choice.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If the opposition set up to sit deep and defend Giroud has to play, we have no choice.

That's something we are not going to find out until we're In the middle of the match. Hardly going to take Wally off for Giroud after 5 mins or vice versa.

Giroud Is the safest bet which leads me to believe Wenger will play him but I'd much prefer Walcott to start.

That's something we are not going to find out until we're In the middle of the match. Hardly going to take Wally off for Giroud after 5 mins or vice versa.

Giroud Is the safest bet which leads me to believe Wenger will play him but I'd much prefer Walcott to start.

Surely they'll play a high line if Giroud is playing and play deeper if Walcott is playing? Or is that too simple ?

Mickeroo wrote: »

I think at home, they'll attack us! I don't think they'll sit deep. Depends on their back four, Is Cahill back for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I think at home, they'll attack us! I don't think they'll sit deep

Ordinarily I'd agree but Chelsea can't afford to lose. I wouldn't be shocked if they played more defensive than usual at the Bridge!

No Pedro or Willian for them tomorrow (thanks GavRedKing) so that's good news, (especially Pedro who looks a good acquisition for them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't think Chelsea can even afford to draw. Either way I'd start Walcott.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement