Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭ronjo

L'prof wrote: »
    Ordinarily I'd agree but Chelsea can't afford to lose. I wouldn't be shocked if they played more defensive than usual at the Bridge!

A draw is of little use to Chelsea as it would most likely leave them 13 points behind City.

I would much prefer us to concede possession and try and get them on the break using Walcott.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That's something we are not going to find out until we're In the middle of the match. Hardly going to take Wally off for Giroud after 5 mins or vice versa.

Giroud Is the safest bet which leads me to believe Wenger will play him but I'd much prefer Walcott to start.

Well that's the nature of football, the manager has to make that call before the match and adapt if needs be when the time comes, unfortunately that's usually the 80th minute with us!

Personally i'd start Walcott since Chelsea are at home, but they're in such bad form it's hard to know how they'll set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Ozil agent hinting he may leave in summer.

I always thought he would move on when contract is up alright.

Just has never looked truely happy and constant slating from the media doesn't help.

His agent already denied it. Ozil already publicly said he loves playing for us and loves London. It's more likely he sign a contract extension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Very big game tomorrow imo. Beating Chelsea under Mourinho in the charity shield was nice and all, but tomorrow is the big test. I think Walcott up front is almost a necessity tomorrow. Probably on my own here but I think he's a big game player, on his day he can be the best player on the pitch, has scored some really important goals for us too. Definitely deserves a start up front anyway. Giroud has been easily shut out by Chelsea before and I don't fancy watching him fumble around against them tomorrow either.

Not sure what's going on with sanchez, would love to see him step it up a bit tomorrow, if they start ivanovic, alexis could have a field day.

I think we need to be starting Mertesacker tomorrow as well, as much as I'm loving Gabriel and Koscielny's partnership, without giroud in the side we haven't much height to defend from set pieces. If giroud doesn't start mert has to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Very big game tomorrow imo. Beating Chelsea under Mourinho in the charity shield was nice and all, but tomorrow is the big test. I think Walcott up front is almost a necessity tomorrow. Probably on my own here but I think he's a big game player, on his day he can be the best player on the pitch, has scored some really important goals for us too. Definitely deserves a start up front anyway. Giroud has been easily shut out by Chelsea before and I don't fancy watching him fumble around against them tomorrow either.

Not sure what's going on with sanchez, would love to see him step it up a bit tomorrow, if they start ivanovic, alexis could have a field day.

I think we need to be starting Mertesacker tomorrow as well, as much as I'm loving Gabriel and Koscielny's partnership, without giroud in the side we haven't much height to defend from set pieces. If giroud doesn't start mert has to.

according to Wenger "Mertesacker is still a bit short for tomorrow" - now that's an adjective I would never have associated with Per !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Who are Chelsea missing? Just Pedro and Willian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Who are Chelsea missing? Just Pedro and Willian?

Courtois too, but I think that's it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

greendom wrote: »
    Courtois too, but I think that's it

So Courtois, Pedro & Willian? Has Falcao been passed fit? I think he had a knock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Id seriously consider dropping santi but we dont really have anyone that can replace him. Ramsey to his position leaves ox for the right who has been extremely disappointing or theo which means Giroud goes upfront when he could do with a spell out of the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Id seriously consider dropping santi but we dont really have anyone that can replace him. Ramsey to his position leaves ox for the right who has been extremely disappointing or theo which means Giroud goes upfront when he could do with a spell out of the first team.

I may be crazy but for Chelsea I would drop Ozil, not because he Is playing bad or anything I just feel Santi Is a bit more mobile and Is at least In some way useful defensively. I would go with this line up, defo just me tho.

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=8ry8f Giroud up front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I may be crazy but for Chelsea I would drop Ozil, not because he Is playing bad or anything I just feel Santi Is a bit more mobile and Is at least some way useful defensively. I would go with this line up, defo just me tho.

<iframe width="350" height="500" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://lineupbuilder.com/350x500/?p=11&a=1&t=&c=dc0000&1=GK_Cech__388_174&2=DLL_Monreal__293_56&3=DC_Kosielny__326_138&4=DCR_Gabriel__327_211&5=DRR_Bellerin__293_292&6=DMC_Coquelin__258_174&7=MCRR_Ramsey__218_226&8=MCAL_Cazorla__186_138&9=WL_Sanchez__116_64&10=WR_Walcott__116_284&11=FCA___80_174&c2=ffffff&c3=ffffff&output=embed"></iframe&gt;
    That formatting makes about as much sense as your point. Ozil should never be dropped for the big games like Chelsea. In no other game can I think of that we need his ability to find a throughball from nowhere do we need him more than this.

Carzola has been piss poor for a while now. He shouldn't be immune to being dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I think the main goal should be to let Chelsea have the ball and use Ozil and Santi's vision to hit them on the break with Sanchez and Theo. Coquelin's ball winning has been immense and if he is on song tomorrow it will be vital. He's had the pre-assist in 2 of our last 3 goals as well.

Quazzie wrote: »
    That formatting makes about as much sense as your point. Ozil should never be dropped for the big games like Chelsea. In no other game can I think of that we need his ability to find a throughball from nowhere do we need him more than this.

Carzola has been piss poor for a while now. He shouldn't be immune to being dropped.

Jesus, you're quick to pick up on posts lately mister Quazzie.

I understand nobody here would want to drop Ozil hence why I said "defo just for me tho"

For me, Ozil Is a passenger and although he offers a lot going forward I think we need as many people as possible putting In a shift and tracking back, having wingers on the wings and Ramsey helping out in the middle of the park with Coq sounds delightful to me. Also, It's not as If Santi offers nothing going forward he can pick a pass and has the ability to create chances and goals, but I know I am on my own In this thinking.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How is he a passenger if he offers a lot going forward? No point point crippling ourselves by dropping our most creative player. Plenty of other players on the field who put in a shift at the back. Only decision to be made is Theo or Giroud imo. The two matches we've lost badly so far this season involved tampering with the line up too much.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    How is he a passenger if he offers a lot going forward? No point point crippling ourselves by dropping our most creative player. Plenty of other players on the field who put in a shift at the back. Only decision to be made is Theo or Giroud imo. The two matches we've lost badly so far this season involved tampering with the line up too much.

A passenger defensively you know what I mean, whens he's off he's a passenger full stop. Playing without Ozil Is hardly crippling ourselves, Santi can play that role excellently and did It for us for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭ronjo

A passenger defensively you know what I mean, whens he's off he's a passenger full stop. Playing without Ozil Is hardly crippling ourselves, Santi can play that role excellently and did It for us for many years.

He may not be putting tackles in but regularly he is the one putting in the running in the last 10 mins and coming deep to receive the ball.

This effort in itself helps us out defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Don't understand why Ramsey and Coquelin can't be the two for an away game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭wawaman

AdamD wrote: »
    Don't understand why Ramsey and Coquelin can't be the two for an away game

i dont think ramsey would stick to the middle, he would pop up all over the shop leaving Coq as the boy with his finger in the dam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Can see your point Ken - but probably not for this match - Ozil offers too much flexibility (one of the few on the team) in that if Chelsea sit back, he can deal with that, and if Chelsea attack and we are on the counter, he is also an expert at that.

Caz is fantastic, but i don't think he offers the same in terms of changing to suit the match (when he is in that more forward role).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Might sound crazy but I’d consider putting ox in on the right again.
    Remind him of his responsibilities, his talent, and what a critical season this could be for him.
    He’s got the engine to get up and down, he’s physically able to cover his man, he just needs to stay mentally switched on.

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Remind him of his responsibilities, his talent, and what a critical season this could be for him.
    He’s got the engine to get up and down, he’s physically able to cover his man, he just needs to stay mentally switched on.

Why risk it?
    Ramsey has a better engine and will actually defend. It also lets us switch to 3 in the middle when defending.

Why not just put out the same team that won the community shield (apart from enforced change of Mert)?

bad2dabone wrote: »

Doesn't sound crazy to me, I'm a fan of the Ox and I want to see him reach his full potential. The guy needs a sustained run in the team, If after 10-15 games he's still not cutting then fine at least we know he's not good enough, but I think he has all the tools.

Doesn't sound crazy to me, I'm a fan of the Ox and I want to see him reach his full potential. The guy needs a sustained run in the team, If after 10-15 games he's still not cutting then fine at least we know he's not good enough, but I think he has all the tools.

I agree he needs a run of games, but starting that run against Chelsea isn't smart.

Putting in Ox means dropping either Santi,Ramsey or Ozil... All of which need to start imo.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I agree he needs a run of games, but starting that run against Chelsea isn't smart.

Putting in Ox means dropping either Santi,Ramsey or Ozil... All of which need to start imo.

Santi could be dropped given his current form, could also push Ozil to the left with Sanchez going up front or to the right, I'm not suggesting we start the Ox here, I just don't think It would be a crazy idea Is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No dropping Özil or Santi, start Theo though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

anyone see us getting anything tomorrow? we need our stars to step up- sanchez and ozil- particularly the latter

anyone see us getting anything tomorrow? we need our stars to step up- sanchez and ozil- particularly the latter

1-0 to Chelsea I feel. Think we will control most of the possession, create plenty of chances but fail to score anyway. They will prob create 1 chance and score It(Costa).

Would certainly be very Arsenal like, then again we could win 5-0.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

1-0 to Chelsea I feel. Think we will control most of the possession, create plenty of chances but fail to score anyway. They will prob create 1 chance and score It(Costa).

Would certainly be very Arsenal like, then again we could win 5-0.

Sounds like an Arsenal fan talking

might sound odd but stay with me (and of course it is this is the thread for it afterall), that statement just makes sense for someone putting more focus on this season's Arsenal than Chelsea. It's possible Chelsea will just suddenly show up as the champions but I think most Chelsea fans wouldn't share your confidence especially with regards them keeping a clean sheet.

• Advertisement

Sounds like an Arsenal fan talking

might sound odd but stay with me (and of course it is this is the thread for it afterall), that statement just makes sense for someone putting more focus on this season's Arsenal than Chelsea. It's possible Chelsea will just suddenly show up as the champions but I think most Chelsea fans wouldn't share your confidence especially with regards them keeping a clean sheet.

Believe me, I know we are capable of smashing them and I would accept nothing less than a win against this Chelsea side, I have expressed that In numerous posts this week, there has never been a better time to beat them.

I just don't think we'll beat them, forgive me If I sound crazy for thinking we wont win at Stamford bridge for the 1st time since when? 2011? The fact Wenger has never beaten Mourinho In a PL game Is also telling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

nah don't blame you at all, it is interesting though how neither side of supporters are confident going into this one. One positive from an Arsenal perspective imo however is that they tend to react after a poor result and hopefully they got that result out of the way in Europe and now will want to prove something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Believe me, I know we are capable of smashing them and I would accept nothing less than a win against this Chelsea side, I have expressed that In numerous posts this week, there has never been a better time to beat them.

I just don't think we'll beat them, forgive me If I sound crazy for thinking we wont win at Stamford bridge for the 1st time since when? 2011? The fact Wenger has never beaten Mourinho In a PL game Is also telling.

I would gladly accept a draw right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

gosplan wrote: »
    I would gladly accept a draw right now.

Same I think a draw would be very acceptable. Anything that avoids feeling as crap as the other night is ok with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,650 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pretty fearful for tomorrow. Something not right at our club after witnessing that rubbish on Wednesday night.
    Hope we don't get another hiding at SB.
    Mourinho has to go for a win as Chelsea are so far behind City so it will be open.
    Hopefully we'll turn up and give a good performance.
    Predicting a draw if we do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Personally think both Walcott and Giroud should play. Chelsea have been known to double mark Giroud which would leave Walcott and Sanchez plenty of room.

As an added bonus Giroud potentially wouldn't even have to touch the ball for others to exploit the space!

Seriously though, if he were double marked and managed some layoffs Walcott and who ever else could potentially have plenty of time and space to take advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

on what football planet has Santi Cazorla been 'piss poor for a while now??!':confused: He is the heartbeat of the team. Wasn't great on Wednesday night like every other player but does 90 minutes constitute piss poor now?? he is absolutely crucial to us and getting our play going from deep. he also has created the most goalscoring chances of any player in Europe bar Ozil despite playing so deep.

on what football planet has Santi Cazorla been 'piss poor for a while now??!':confused: He is the heartbeat of the team. Wasn't great on Wednesday night like every other player but does 90 minutes constitute piss poor now?? he is absolutely crucial to us and getting our play going from deep. he also has created the most goalscoring chances of any player in Europe bar Ozil despite playing so deep.

Yeah i don't get it either.
    He's basically our Xavi.. Without him we'd have Coq hoofing balls upfield and Ramsey trying to 1v1 every player on the pitch.

When did we last win a 12.45 ko? They were quite the bogey time last iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

When did we last win a 12.45 ko? They were quite the bogey time last iirc

Newcastle away this season

Newcastle away this season

I must be asleep...

That's a good start. I'll be watching this very hungover tomorrow and have a lot of the fear I'd say. Might even bring the duvet down to the couch!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I'm not optimistic! We have an opportunity to kick Chelsea while they're down tomorrow but it would seem more typical of us to kick start their season.

I wouldn't start Giroud, their defence can handle him, Walcott can hurt them more than Giroud I feel. A return to the XI that started against Stoke is a no brainer in my opinion.

Also, no team should be made play at 12.45 after playing a Champions League game on the Wednesday (particularly when that CL game is away from home). In this day and age of catering for tv audiences you'd have thought this game was a shoe in for the headline game on the Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'm not optimistic! We have an opportunity to kick Chelsea while they're down tomorrow but it would seem more typical of us to kick start their season.

I wouldn't start Giroud, their defence can handle him, Walcott can hurt them more than Giroud I feel. A return to the XI that started against Stoke is a no brainer in my opinion.

Also, no team should be made play at 12.45 after playing a Champions League game on the Wednesday (particularly when that CL game is away from home). In this day and age of catering for tv audiences you'd have thought this game was a shoe in for the headline game on the Sunday.

Agreed I always thought the rule was if you played Wednesday you played in the league on the Sunday, certainly gives Chelsea an automatic advantage.

I literally have no idea how this game will go tomorrow hopefully Cheleas poor form continues or this could be the game to get them playing in big games and especially with Arsenal it's hard to know which Arsenal will turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Got my ticket for tomorrow. First away game of the season even though it's not exactly far. However. We are meeting in the pub at 10 so good only knows what state we'll be in.

Really really hope we can get the 3 points as it will be a nail in Chelsea's coffin. May not fatally injure them but will do damage.

Please please please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thank God we didn't buy anyone or we might not have such large cash reserves.

LINK

I remember being told a couple of months back that we didn't have much money.

That'll make a takeover very easy whenever it happens.

LINK

The title is misleading.
    We don't actually have £200 million available. It's actually around £60-80 million (still a lot)

£35M is for debts, 65M is for future transfer payments (clauses/finished transfers) and more set aside for opperating costs.

But we still had more than enough to buy DM + another player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

LINK

Everyone knew we had plenty of cash this summer.

LINK

Arsene himself said they have plenty of cash, so don't worry about what some random person told you a couple of months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

http://www.football365.com/news/petit-regrets-arsenal-exit-and-man-united-snub

My God, I don't know how I would have coped seeing him in a United shirt beside Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,650 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Still very angry about last Wednesday.

How full-time professionals with so many fitness experts and dieticians can't play two games of football in a week is baffling????
    And we're only a feckin month into the season too.
    There was no need to rest players.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement