Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Basil3 wrote: »
    Right, I'm sure Wengers tactics/team talk involved telling Kos to play everyone onside for a free kick, and for Gabriel to react to Costa's bullsh*t.

You do realise no one is talking just about today's game don't you?

We're talking about the team in general never being title contenders the history of making a mess of games.

No, a cop out is to constantly whinge, moan, and blame Wenger for everything.
    He is where the buck stops.
    This is essentially the same line-up that were almost unstoppable in the second half of last season. Wenger gets no praise for this, but it's all his fault when the same players aren't clicking, or ref's decisions are going against them.
    I'm gonna guess a few people will be revisionist and will now start to see things the way I did last year. We weren't unstoppable. We were embarrassed in the CL last 16 in February/March. Here's what we did from February:

W Villa
    L Spurs
    W Leicester
    W Middlesbrough
    W Palace
    L Monaco
    W Everton
    W QPR
    W United
    W West Ham
    W Monaco
    W Newcastle
    W Liverpool
    W Burnley
    D Reading
    D Chelsea
    W Hull
    L Swansea
    D Sunderland
    W West Brom

We won 8 in a row but the 3rd was a dead rubber against Monaco and the 5th was a Cup match against United. How many really good results are there among all the wins? We did well, no denying it. We weren't outstanding with 2 wins out the last 6 matches. Or failing to beat Chelsea or United. There were no outstanding results, just a run of consistency and getting what are par results and the minimum we should be aiming for over a season, not less than half a season.

You do realise no one is talking just about today's game don't you?

We're talking about the team in general never being title contenders the history of making a mess of games.

I'm using today's match as an example.

I'm using today's match as an example.

Well isn't that convenient.

He is where the buck stops.

I'm gonna guess a few people will be revisionist and will now start to see things the way I did last year. We weren't unstoppable. We were embarrassed in the CL last 16 in February/March. Here's what we did from February:

W Villa
    L Spurs
    W Leicester
    W Middlesbrough
    W Palace
    L Monaco
    W Everton
    W QPR
    W United
    W West Ham
    W Monaco
    W Newcastle
    W Liverpool
    W Burnley
    D Reading
    D Chelsea
    W Hull
    L Swansea
    D Sunderland
    W West Brom

We won 8 in a row but the 3rd was a dead rubber against Monaco and the 5th was a Cup match against United. How many really good results are there among all the wins? We did well, no denying it. We weren't outstanding with 2 wins out the last 6 matches. Or failing to beat Chelsea or United. There were no outstanding results, just a run of consistency and getting what are par results and the minimum we should be aiming for over a season, not less than half a season.

If you're including the cup matches, why not include the FA Cup win? Compare us to anyone else....who was winning more than us? You will find a way to look at anything negatively.

Well isn't that convenient.

OK, well you can bring up whatever games you want, but today is fresh in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Has there been any confirmation whether Coq was injured or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

If you're including the cup matches, why not include the FA Cup win? Compare us to anyone else....who was winning more than us? You will find a way to look at anything negatively.

Also he counts Reading as a draw. That would only be true if we had won on penalties. It still counts as a win when we win after extra time.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Has there been any confirmation whether Coq was injured or not?

In post match interview Wenger said something like:

"He has a little knee problem, we will have to check tomorrow. Certainly, for the next match he will be short, I don't know."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

No, I'm not happy. I'm simply saying that Wenger can't be blamed for anything?

Changed your post to match what your really saying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I feel for the fantastic job Wenger has done at the club, we still need to get someone who will bring us that but farther. Wenger has his limits, which are truly admirable, CL qualification, FA cup etc but still short, if we hope for the title shot or CL.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I feel for the fantastic job Wenger has done at the club, we still need to get someone who will bring us that but farther. Wenger has his limits, which are truly admirable, CL qualification, FA cup etc but still short, if we hope for the title shot or CL.

Brilliantly put. I think too many people think that by saying a league title is beyond Wenger somehow questions what he done for us in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Brilliantly put. I think too many people think that by saying a league title is beyond Wenger somehow questions what he done for us in the past.

His place is cemented in history at Arsenal. But I think he's gone as far as he can.

I just think he's a man out of time, he's just not suited to cut throat football world today. I also think we just need new blood in the manager side of things. New ideas and new tactics, something that freshen the place up. We are far too easy to read these days.

Not his fault today, just our players losing their heads and a dodgy ref. We did well for the first half and they put in a effort. But it's clear to see that we just haven't squad or side to compete. Maybe as fan's some of us just really overrate our sides abilities.

Even now I'm already down in the dumps and have written off this season :pac:. To be fair it's league title or nothing for me. I don't think we be getting near that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It goes without saying though, everyone knows the great work Wenger has done at the club, its unquestionable. When people post in here that they want Wenger out (including myself) we are not ignoring what he has done for the club in the past, we simply wouldn't be the massive massive club we are without him, we could have just been another Sp*rs. But as Mr.Mircro said, Wenger has limits, 4th place league and FA cups. He's a victim of his own early success really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

What I am saying is the longer stays while the team under performs the more he tarnishes his legacy.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    What I am saying is the longer stays while the team under performs the more he tarnishes his legacy.

I agree but I don't think he will leave of his own accord down to stubbornness he wants to win the league one more time and do it his way and the board is spineless happy to keep status quo.

So we're stuck in a constant groundhog day.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Looper007 wrote: »

I just think he's a man out of time, he's just not suited to cut throat football world today.

This post made me think, imagine what he could do with with the french national team, without the financial and transfer constraints of today to worry about, could honestly see him winning silverware with that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

gandalf wrote: »

Brian Clough syndrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Wenger is remarkably consistent. Year on year he does a very good job, the oligarch clubs are beyond him. He can just about keep up with them but will always fall short. Either he genuinely doesn't have the means to beat them, or he has the means and is just too financially principled to spend and pay over the top when required. (Bit of both probably)

The only manager in England who has beaten the combined forces of the oligarch clubs is Ferguson. Yeah, sure, United have better (self generated) financial means than ourselves but they don't have a bottomless pit of money like City and Chelsea. But Ferguson was exceptional, he could build a team to take on anyone. It was all United and Arsenal until the sugar daddy's came along. Ferguson came back, Wenger hasn't been able to.

Ferguson has shown it is possible to live with and beat the financially doped clubs. With the right man in charge we could take that step up. But that is a very small pool of managers to pick from, and nothing is certain.

Take Klopp; the way I see it with him, I think he would actually be more likely than Wenger to win the title with us, but he would also be more likely eventually see us finish outside the top 4.

With Wenger, you know what you're going to get. He's a safe bet. Which is exactly what our board want. And I understand that, but its boring now, and it kind of has been for a very long time.

Boring boring Arsenal has returned, but not as we once knew it....

• Advertisement

Wenger is remarkably consistent. Year on year he does a very good job, the oligarch clubs are beyond him. He can just about keep up with them but will always fall short. Either he genuinely doesn't have the means to beat them, or he has the means and is just too financially principled to spend and pay over the top when required. (Bit of both probably)

The only manager in England who has beaten the combined forces of the oligarch clubs is Ferguson. Yeah, sure, United have better (self generated) financial means than ourselves but they don't have a bottomless pit of money like City and Chelsea. But Ferguson was exceptional, he could build a team to take on anyone. It was all United and Arsenal until the sugar daddy's came along. Ferguson came back, Wenger hasn't been able to.

Ferguson has shown it is possible to live with and beat the financially doped clubs. With the right man in charge we could take that step up. But that is a very small pool of managers to pick from, and nothing is certain.

Take Klopp; the way I see it with him, I think he would actually be more likely than Wenger to win the title with us, but he would also be more likely eventually see us finish outside the top 4.

With Wenger, you know what you're going to get. He's a safe bet. Which is exactly what our board want. And I understand that, but its boring now, and it kind of has been for a very long time.

I dunno. United will still pay the £250+k/week wages that Arsenal simply won't. In that respect we will never be on the same level.

On another note, was Gabriel a second yellow or straight red? I thought it was a second yellow, but seems it was a red?

I dunno. United will still pay the £250+k/week wages that Arsenal simply won't. In that respect we will never be on the same level.

On another note, was Gabriel a second yellow or straight red? I thought it was a second yellow, but seems it was a red?
    The thing is though are we genuinely not at that level where we can afford to pay two or three players that kind of money, or do we have that capability but are choosing not to do so in the name of financial principles?

Sounded like two yellows to me but I was only listening on the radio!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and Diego Costa, I would shoot Costa twice.

I thought watching the game it was straight red. I don't recall seeing the yellow out after the kick back. That means a three game ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think it's fair to say that Palace and West Ham are decent sides this year.

gosplan wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say that Palace and West Ham are decent sides this year.

No way, man. City have already won the league, they're just being complacent. If west ham beat city, then it's definitely Wenger's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

No way, man. City have already won the league, they're just being complacent. If west ham beat city, then it's definitely Wenger's fault.

Posts like that are just stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Soups123 wrote: »
    Posts like that are just stupid

Posts calling other posts stupid, are stupid... Wait... Oh yeah!

Actually, I think he deserves credit for breaking the mood in here this evening!

Positive: Down to 10 men then 9 and two goals down you could still hear 49 49 unbeaten and other chants, nothing from the Chelsea fans. No history, Russian money, nothing club. When Roman gets tired and leaves they will go back to nothing. We will still be Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Positive: Down to 10 men then 9 and two goals down you could still hear 49 49 unbeaten and other chants, nothing from the Chelsea fans. No history, Russian money, nothing club. When Roman gets tired and leaves they will go back to nothing. We will still be Arsenal.

If, and that is a big if, Abramovich does get bored, he'll just sell Chelsea for a pretty penny to some other multi-Billionaire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Anybody hear what Garth Crooks said on final score earlier about Mike Dean? He is spot on. Dean always is looking to be centre of attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I said it when I saw him coming out with the teams this ****er is going to do us and that he did , He always screws Arsenal and when United are playing he'll screw anyone even Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Özil's next contract negotiation (which can't be too far off) should be interesting. Will he be willing to commit his peak years to us if he sees no evidence of us pushing on from being a 3rd/4th place team who can't make it to the quarters of the Champions League? (basically exactly where we were when he joined)

Personally wont be gutted if he were to leave. He's been outstanding in very short burts and has never justified the price tag sadly. And Im saying this as a fan of the player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and Diego Costa, I would shoot Costa twice.

You'd have too. Ya cant shoot ghosts :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

We will never see another Invincibles in football today in this league. Leicester are the only defeated team this season and only 6 games are played. Mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Anybody hear what Garth Crooks said on final score earlier about Mike Dean? He is spot on. Dean always is looking to be centre of attention.

What's our record with him again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Very true:

https://twitter.com/AAllenSport/status/645294069762146304

At least I always have the All Blacks winning the World Cup to give me hope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

An incredibly frustrating day. dean is a cock...no doubt about it. thought there was at least point in it for us up to that.

couple of things that we maybe can control...love Gabriel but he was beyond stupid. he was more in the wrong than Giroud the other night. it was blatant and silly. wenger said after we were prepared for Costa's antics and it was silly of Gabriel to indulge.

lads will not agree with this but we did show character to keep it to 1-0 until the 90th minute. Especially as we were missing our two most combative players in Gabriel and Coquelin. we weren't cynical enough without them though. we could have had Costa or Ivanovic red carded easily if we were a bit cuter.

Ramsey was very disappointing second half....really didn't stand up at all. Very disappointing. Ozil is a passenger with 10 men against a good team. Sanchez has been worse in front of goal than Giroud since the start of the season with some misses. He will fire soon though!

Bad start...stuttering. 5 points behind. Every team very beatable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

See, the problem with our embarrassing clusterf*ck of a transfer window is that with our big players off form we really have nothing to turn to. If Coq is gone for a bit we really are in serious trouble, all of which could have been completely avoided.

We desperately need change at this club to progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just as I feared.
    Same ol same ol Arsenal.
    Toothless under Wenger and now brainless under him.
    37% possession and 2 shots on target.
    Going nowhere fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Just as I feared.
    Same ol same ol Arsenal.
    Toothless under Wenger and now brainless under him.
    37% possession and 2 shots on target.
    Going nowhere fast.

You expected while been done to 10 then 9 men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Worst thing about today apart from Costa and Dean was Wenger conceding that Cocquelin took a knock and will be short for the weekend!!! When will we see him again???

L'prof wrote: »
    Worst thing about today apart from Costa and Dean was Wenger conceding that Cocquelin took a knock and will be short for the weekend!!! When will we see him again???

I think(hope) he was referring to Tottenham

You expected while been done to 10 then 9 men

There is a difference between fears and expectations.

• Advertisement

Good read on why we never really had a chance with Dean as ref:

http://news.arseblog.com/2015/09/mike-dean-2-0-arsenal-by-the-numbers/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭omega man

Was over in Cardiff today for Ireland's RWC opener so not letting this ruin a great day.

However I'm going to go out on a limb and give a total knee jerk reaction based on the result and say I'm done with Arsene. On watching the highlights I doubt I'll be retracting my knee jerk response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Well then keep your judgemental snide remarks to yourself until you do.

Yeah coqs injured.

omega man wrote: »
    Was over in Cardiff today for Ireland's RWC opener so not letting this ruin a great day.

However I'm going to go out on a limb and give a total knee jerk reaction based on the result and say I'm done with Arsene. On watching the highlights I doubt I'll be retracting my knee jerk response.

I wouldn't say it was a knee jerk reaction, he's been underperforming in his job for a long time, for me this was his last chance to win a league.

I wouldn't say it was a knee jerk reaction, he's been underperforming in his job for a long time, for me this was his last chance to win a league.

We are light years away from winning a league under Wenger.
    He hasn't got what it takes anymore.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement