Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

We are light years away from winning a league under Wenger.
    He hasn't got what it takes anymore.

I'm afraid so. If you asked me at the end of last season who would win the league I would have said we could win a league. At the end of the transfer window I really doubted it...but now, jesus christ, it's the same old season again, groundhog day...I've seen it already. This was his last chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

JustTheOne wrote: »
    What's our record with him again?

Im not too sure but we've lost more than we won. Sure didnt he celebrate a goal Spurs scored against us a few seasons back when he was reffing the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gus99

Gotta hand it to Mourinho and Costa - I never thought I would see the day when Terry was only the third most dislikable person at Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

From the clips on Match of the Day, Costa was far too clever for Gabriel. Sometimes players just gotta put their hands up and concede they were outstmarted and the red mist came down, men v boys stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

From the clips on Match of the Day, Costa was far too clever for Gabriel. Sometimes players just gotta put their hands up and concede they were outstmarted and the red mist came down, men v boys stuff.

He did it in Spain too I see. Sky Sports News showed footage an hour ago when he was playing for Atletico and he gave Paulista a dig in the chest and got away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Loved when Gabriel stood up for Kos and showed a bit of fight. Dont see that much at Arsenal nowadays. Didnt even mind that he got a yellow but everything he did after that was stupid.

On a side note, I think we are missing Mert. Not for his playing ability but him as a captain. Think a proper captain (something which Santi will never be) calms down that situation today. We might benefit from having Arteta back in the team in that regard.

DenMan wrote: »
    He did it in Spain too I see. Sky Sports News showed footage an hour ago when he was playing for Atletico and he gave Paulista a dig in the chest and got away with it.

As I said on another thread, most of us have no issue with nasty players when they are on our side - the classic example being the way we all waxed lyrical about Roy Keane who had no bother about stamping on a players chest or elbowing or crying to a ref when it suited him. It's football. Costa is nasty, like so many before him, Gabriel lost it, he should learn his lesson because he was schooled today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

DenMan wrote: »
    It goes on in every football match everywhere in the world.

Even the "standing on toes" thing, Gabriel thought he was being the smart one there, winding up Costa, but he was a fool to do it when he did.

Costa is a classic WUM, either players can deal with it, or they can't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Costa's actions should never be hailed as smart or clever. That talk only justifies and validates behaviour that should have no place in the game. That win at all costs mentally is at the root of the cheating and deception that blights the game and it should only ever be condemned.

Costa's actions should never be hailed as smart or clever. That talk only justifies and validates behaviour that should have no place in the game. That win at all costs mentally is at the root of the cheating and deception that blights the game and it should only ever be condemned.

meh, it's been in the game since the game was codified and played professionally.

All this "pure football" bullshít is so typically "Arsenal" it's not even funny.

Gazza did it, Best did it, Henry did it, Giles did it, C Ronaldo does it. All the best players have it in their locker, the abilty to gain a mental advantage is as much about rising to the top as actual physical skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Watching motd there just annoys me even more. The whole Costa incident came from Ramsey dicking about in the box, he had a great chance to shoot or play it back to someone, instead he turns out, is easily dispossed and Chelsea break up the field.
    How Costa stayed on the field was a mystery, he threw the arms out at Ox, went down very easy in the box in the second half ( It was either a pen or a dive the way he threw his hands out so dramatically) I was hoping somebody would nail him with a cruncjing tackle in the second half.
    Sanchez badly needs a goal, gives the ball away far too easy and doesnt look anywhere near the same player as last season

meh, it's been in the game since the game was codified and played professionally.

All this "pure football" bullshít is so typically "Arsenal" it's not even funny.

Gazza did it, Best did it, Henry did it, Giles did it, C Ronaldo does it. All the best players have it in their locker, the abilty to gain a mental advantage is as much about rising to the top as actual physical skill.

Please point out where I said the words "pure football" seeing as how you put it in quotes? Go troll elsewhere please.

EDIT; I love the way he highlights "Henry" in bold as though that means we're not entitled to have an opinion due to his incident with Ireland! Just for fun I'll point out he was a Barcelona player at the time, and also I'll point out that the country was in embarrassing uproar at the time, and it wasn't because they felt he did something acceptable)

Yeah, not trolling pal, seems like Costa's got to you too, fair play to him.

Suarez used to do the same to United fans.

Yeah, not trolling pal, seems like Costa's got to you too, fair play to him.

Suarez used to do the same to United fans.

Not trolling eh? Pal followed by passive aggressive amateur psychology. Yeah, whatever.

I take it Arsenal's well known tactic of players rolling around disgusts you too?

Not that I would single out Arsenal. It's part and parcel of football, even if some of their players have been particularly fragile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'm think I'm going to pass out with all the big words floating around

Sorry :D

Just for the record, the following argument is the epitome of stupidity;

"YEAH, WELL, YOUR TEAM DOES IT TOO"

For the record, I never once said Arsenal are snow white pure angels who never do anything wrong.

• Advertisement

you're so hurt, it's pretty funny to look at.

Look, it's cool, Diego Costa did an absolute number on Gabriel, and maybe even Wenger, today. It happens to the best of them.

I keep reading this and I fail to see the "except when Arsenal do it, then it shouldn't be condemned at all" at the end that a few have apparently imagined I wrote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I take it Arsenal's well known tactic of players rolling around disgusts you too?

"Well known tactic". This thread gets funnier by the day. Lots of new posters too who only seem to come in here when we're losing games.

"Well known tactic". This thread gets funnier by the day. Lots of new posters too who only seem to come in here when we're losing games.

it IS a well known tactic, used by lots of teams.

Also, "only seem to come in here when we lose" - hahah, it's the biggest talking point in the PL today, and probably this weekend (unless United lose tomorrow), of course people are going to be interested. It's not because it's Arsenal, you aren't that special.

Look, it's cool, Diego Costa did an absolute number on Gabriel, and maybe even Wenger, today. It happens to the best of them.

I dont recall Costa scoring today? By doing a number do you mean getting Gabriel sent off? He was waving the imaginery card from the word go today. If this was Suarez doing it he would be getting vilified in the morning papers.

Gabriel got himself sent off.

• Advertisement

Gabriel got himself sent off.

So explain how Costa did a number on Gabriel and Wenger?

Wound Gabriel up to the point where he did something completely silly, and got a red card.

This, in turn, wound Wenger up, so much that he started spouting garbage in the post match interview ("disgusting" etc).

Are we really doing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Jesus this is painful.

Out of the woodwork they come.

Hopefully gone by tomorrow.

Wound Gabriel up to the point where he did something completely silly, and got a red card.

This, in turn, wound Wenger up, so much that he started spouting garbage in the post match interview ("disgusting" etc).

Costa should not of being on the pitch to wind Gabriel up. He should of been sent off when he pushed Kos in the face. How Dean can give a yellow card to Costa for raising his hand and then give a straight red to Gabriel for raising his leg I will never know. We were hard done by today if it was 11v11 we would not of losing that game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

We'll you are it seems.
    But thanks for coming in her to educate us.
    "you aren't that special"?
    Cringe for you, pal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I hate chelsea and hate their fans. And I am staggered how anyone Irish could actually support them if they heard the chants etc.

Gutted by today. But we sang until the end. The red was a joke. The ref as always a joke.

Whilst I want Wenger replaced, I will always appreciate him for what he did for this club and the way he conducts himself. Something that Chelsea and their manager know nothing about. Not really sure why all the Chelsea fans are in here. There is a match thread to discuss the match, a match completely turned by a ref's incompetence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Just watching the highlights of the Japan performance and it's a welcome reminder that sport can be amazing when it's played the right way and not crippled by the kind of petulance and cheating that we saw today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Never realised Abramovich built a housing complex under their grounds for their fans..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

JT26 wrote: »
    Do elaborate,what chants are you talking about?

Possibly the "you know who we, Champions of England you know who we are" one. It is perhaps a little racist.

I am curious about this as well having been there hundreds of times and not feeling intimidated for being Irish once I am now very worried about my hearing.

I've only got a chance to see the Gabriel incident now on recorded match of the day...at the time I thought he must have done something but there's no way that's a red. Poor reffing. Costa tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Pudders wrote: »
    I hate chelsea and hate their fans. And I am staggered how anyone Irish could actually support them if they heard the chants etc.

Gutted by today. But we sang until the end. The red was a joke. The ref as always a joke.

Whilst I want Wenger replaced, I will always appreciate him for what he did for this club and the way he conducts himself. Something that Chelsea and their manager know nothing about. Not really sure why all the Chelsea fans are in here. There is a match thread to discuss the match, a match completely turned by a ref's incompetence.

I keep hearing about these chants and how irish people shouldnt support chelsea. I assume youre a season ticket holder or regular at the bridge to hear these chants ya? Coz ive not heard them and im going over for years. :pac:

I also appreciate, as a Chelsea fan what Wenger has done for Arsenal, for years hes kept them competitive through selling their best players but its kept them at a level ultimately below the very best.

I dont get the sack wenger approach though, hes got them champs league for about 15years on the bouce, won back to back cups and signed 2 of the best players in the world.

If you sack someone you replace them with better quality and you improve or, you can easily regress, look at Utd post Fergie. LVG is only somewhat steadying the ship after 2 seasons since fergies gone and theyve spent about 300m to do it.

Wenger is an instituion at Arsenal and sacking him is as likely to bring the club forward by hiring a more capable replacement of which there is a few or they can slide backwards by hiring an inferior manager of which there is plenty.

Unfortunately for every side in the league there can be only 1 champion, right now arsenal arent good enough to be champions, ive no idea what they lack, throw in some cliches to fill the gap, is a mental strength, is it attitude? In truth chelsea arent going win it either, its hugely difficult to retain the league title and looks like citys to lose even at this early stage. The rest, chelsea utd arsenal look to be falling into place behind them in whatever order come May.

Look back on the league winning sides, desire is huge and willingness to go above and beyond, going back to the 80s, paisleys Pool side retained titles, fergies done it throughout the years, mourinhos done it, nobody inbetween has managed it. Not Pellegrini, not mancini, not daglish, not Ancelotti not Wenger.

Arsenals time will come again but will be wenger that does it for them is million dollar question.

I've been to Stamford bridge, I've sat with Chelsea fans...and horrible doesn't begin to describe it. I was punched in the back of the head and told to sing for my club. I was about 16 and there to see arsenal.

You're a classy classy bunch. As I said before. No morals, no class, no fans and no history.

What are you even doing in this thread.

No doubt you'll find something to ban me with in that.

I've been to Stamford bridge, I've sat with Chelsea fans...and horrible doesn't begin to describe it. I was punched in the back of the head and told to sing for my club. I was about 16 and there to see arsenal.

You're a classy classy bunch. As I said before. No morals, no class, no fans and no history.

Really?

And when was that?

I am sure you reported it to a steward so as action could be taken in line with club policy

https://www.chelseafc.com/content/cfc/en/homepage/the-club/about-chelsea-football-club/promoting-equality-inside-stamford-bridge.html

In the away fan information pack on the website they also ask for your feed back as they want all fans to watch the game in a safe environment, I assume you passed back this information also.

https://www.chelseafc.com/content/dam/cfc/pdf-word-documents/Ticketing%20and%20Membership/2015-16/Visiting-Supporters-Guide.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Iv seen this season before and its the same old story. Getting boring now.

I think this post has been overlooked.. Very poignant as tbh ive been avoiding this thread for months now.. Nothing to do with the posters but more to do with the club being stuck a malaise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ill take your word for it so I suppose.

No morals? I suppose again youre right. Sure every other set of fans are well behaved, upstanding members of society who would never engage in such antics.

No class? See above.

No fans? Well we have at least one, didnt you get assualted by him or her. Oh and there was a few there today as well by the looks of it. Although most probably only started following us in 2003 I guess.

No history? So we werent formed in 2003? Damn, ill have to edit the internet so or make a complaint, as it says Chelsea are 110 years old.

Look, its ok to be upset at a loss, happens to every team. Its also an open forum and what better place to discuss Arsenal with the Arsenal fans. Feel free to discuss Chelsea over in our place. Doors always opened, win lose or draw.

Really?

And when was that?

I am sure you reported it to a steward so as action could be taken in line with club policy

https://www.chelseafc.com/content/cfc/en/homepage/the-club/about-chelsea-football-club/promoting-equality-inside-stamford-bridge.html

In the away fan information pack on the website they also ask for your feed back as they want all fans to watch the game in a safe environment, I assume you passed back this information also.

https://www.chelseafc.com/content/dam/cfc/pdf-word-documents/Ticketing%20and%20Membership/2015-16/Visiting-Supporters-Guide.pdf

Whatever year we met ye in the champions league later stages. Not sure if semi or quarter. Home leg in Stamford bridge, It finished a draw. I happen to have a Chelsea season ticket that year by chance. To say ye are a rough bunch would be putting it mildly. Thanks for all your useful links :roll eyes:

So you didn't report it, well if your not part of the solution you are part of the problem.

Yes the links are very useful indeed, far more useful if used of course.

"The English club you picked is meaner than the English club I picked".

Remember I gave out about him last week? If he's the big hope we're ****ed. I doubt he'll be making the bench 2 years hence.

GavRedKing wrote: »

No morals? I suppose again youre right. Sure every other set of fans are well behaved, upstanding members of society who would never engage in such antics.

No class? See above.

No fans? Well we have at least one, didnt you get assualted by him or her. Oh and there was a few there today as well by the looks of it. Although most probably only started following us in 2003 I guess.

No history? So we werent formed in 2003? Damn, ill have to edit the internet so or make a complaint, as it says Chelsea are 110 years old.

Look, its ok to be upset at a loss, happens to every team. Its also an open forum and what better place to discuss Arsenal with the Arsenal fans. Feel free to discuss Chelsea over in our place. Doors always opened, win lose or draw.

Heh.

Irish Chelsea fans make me laugh. Racists xenophobes and around. EDL and proud. Combat 18 sure they wouldn't be anything to do with them I'm sure.

Chelsea have always been associated with not gangs and not being scum.

Remember I gave out about him last week? If he's the big hope we're ****ed. I doubt he'll be making the bench 2 years hence.

Who? Gabriel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

GavRedKing wrote: »

No class? See above.

I think the match thread from yesterday would put a good few from discussing things.

Most Chelsea fans celebrating Costas behaviour. He'll just keep thinking he's a hero.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement