Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Back in the 70's Peter Storey would have made minced meat out of him. We are too soft now.

Gabriel wasn't soft Didn't do us much good though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

DenMan wrote: »
    The FA don't take us seriously as a top team anymore is why! We need to get our steel back from the 90's/early 00's.

Nail on head.
    We are not assertive enough on the field or off it.
    We always end up being the victims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Love this vine, he's a brute but soft enough when its given back to him. (Needs sound turned on for effect :) )

https://twitter.com/TSBible/status/645670118417133568

From last season
    http://www.givemesport.com/555047-yohan-cabaye-told-diego-costa-to-stop-crying

And the season before

Hope we see this side of Costa when they come to the Emirates

greendom wrote: »
    Gabriel wasn't soft Didn't do us much good though!

A back heel to the ankle was silly and not brave either. He allowed himself be wound up. Would have preferred if he thumped Costa and made the sending off worthwhile tbh.

A back heel to the ankle was silly and not brave either. He allowed himself be wound up. Would have preferred if he thumped Costa and made the sending off worthwhile tbh.

Agreed, reminds me of the time Keane was asked about his sending off against Newcastle, he was more disgusted at his crappy attempt to slap Shearer then hitting him properly. Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb is how he put it

I wish he'd done nothing. He wouldn't have had to if the ref had done his job

greendom wrote: »
    I wish he'd done nothing. He wouldn't have had to if the ref had done his job

Agree, but he did.

Agree, but he did.

yes and he didn't !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Unseen footage of the "backheel". Shocking altogether, don't know how Costa's leg is still in one piece :rolleyes:

http://arsenalist.com/f/2015-16/chelsea-vs-arsenal/gif-from-espn-brazil-s-coverage-showing-gabriel-s-kick.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Unseen footage of the "backheel". Shocking altogether, don't know how Costa's leg is still in one piece :rolleyes:

http://arsenalist.com/f/2015-16/chelsea-vs-arsenal/gif-from-espn-brazil-s-coverage-showing-gabriel-s-kick.html

Looking at 'I love Arsenal' Cesc there too makes you sick

Anyone know if Costa has been called by the FA

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Lads what has happened to Sanchez?

Is it second season syndrome or tired from Copa?

Looks half the player from last year.

In saying what so do most of the team bar a few.

He's not Messi and he's not Ronaldo! Only players in the world that can consistently do it.

From John Cross. Hopefully he knows what he's talking about:
    It is understood there is no ligament damage and Coquelin could even be fit to face the Gunners arch-rivals Tottenham in a Capital One Cup tie on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Man, that's embarrassing for Costa. The behaviour of the other Chelsea players equally embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Soups123 wrote: »
    Looking at 'I love Arsenal' Cesc there too makes you sick

Came on too say this, was the first player over trying to get GAB sent off

Expect the interview during the week about h is he loves the club

The snake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Can we all just move on from the game at the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Arsenal V Bayern tickets go on sale today for Red Members.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Focus on the return game against them, get it won and then spend the last few minutes kicking the living snot out of Costa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

He is a horrible person and a cheat but he's no shrinking violet.

Rubbish, look at him in the second minute of the match, taking a dive, claiming he was clipped by Coquelin and waving an imaginary card. All the antics of a petulant child. You wouldn't see John Terry or Martin Keown or Alan Shearer act like that, they are hard as nails. Costa is a particularly nasty coward.

His balls shrunk in the face of a "hard man" like Damien Delaney. Nothing hard about Costa. He's a petulant manchild, who is one day going to piss off the wrong player who'll hurt him. And I cant wait for that to happen.

Godge wrote: »
    Rubbish, look at him in the second minute of the match, taking a dive, claiming he was clipped by Coquelin and waving an imaginary card. All the antics of a petulant child. You wouldn't see John Terry or Martin Keown or Alan Shearer act like that, they are hard as nails. Costa is a particularly nasty coward.

We weren't cute enough to deal with him and as such our man got sent off and he remained. We had divers at Arsenal too in our time don't forget.
    At the end of the day they got 3 points and we got none again.
    I've already said I don't like Costa but he set out to cause trouble and our player allowed him to succeed.

keano_afc wrote: »
    His balls shrunk in the face of a "hard man" like Damien Delaney. Nothing hard about Costa. He's a petulant scumbag, who is one day going to piss off the wrong player who'll hurt him. And I cant wait for that to happen.

It will but don't expect it to be done by one of our players.
    We're not the same Arsenal we used to be. Too soft now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

It will but don't expect it to be done by one of our players.
    We're not the same Arsenal we used to be. Too soft now.

You're criticising Gabriel for giving it back then saying we are soft now and have no players to give it back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

good job twitter and boards wasn't around for

https://vine.co/v/OphZEwAa9im

• Advertisement

You're criticising Gabriel for giving it back then saying we are soft now and have no players to give it back?

A petulant flick is not giving it back. Gabriel should have walked away, waited for the next 50/50, and given it absolutely everything. Being drawn into Costa's game was poor discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Agreed - I don't understand the logic there

That wasn't giving it back surely?
    It reduced us to 10. That was playing into his hands. Someone else should have put in a hard tackle on him that really hurt. Not a player already booked. That was naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

That wasn't giving it back surely?
    It reduced us to 10. That was playing into his hands. Someone else should have put in a hard tackle on him that really hurt. Not a player already booked. That was naive.

I mean standing up to him. Standing up for kos his team mate.

I thought that's what you meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

peteeeed wrote: »

Was in my sig for years, absolutely loved it. Didn't care for van Nistleroy, Arsenal players seemed to agree!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

peteeeed wrote: »

Back when we were the top team :(

I mean standing up to him. Standing up for kos his team mate.

I thought that's what you meant.

In my playing days you'd take turns at getting a lad back and making sure none of us got sent off. Costa' behaviour is not new to the game. That kind of thing has always been going on and it does signify a certain kind of gutsyiness because he is setting himself up as a target in trying to rile defenders. Saw a lot of it in my time playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

In my playing days you'd take turns at getting a lad back and making sure none of us got sent off. Costa' behaviour is not new to the game. That kind of thing has always been going on and it does signify a certain kind of gutsyiness because he is setting himself up as a target in trying to rile defenders. Saw a lot of it in my time playing.

I was a CB In my playing days and there were certainly much better ways to deal with guys like Costa back then, however with all the cameras and with action being taken after a game nowadays It would be very difficult to give anything back without getting caught.

While I agree with the sentiment that we had 2 players sent off and neither off them were worthwhile, I think the best way to deal with people like Costa nowadays Is to simply win the game, keep the cool and out play them, unfortunately we were incapable of doing either of those things.

I was a CB In my playing days and there were certainly much better ways to deal with guys like Costa back then, however with all the cameras and with action being taken after a game nowadays It would be very difficult to give anything back without getting caught.

While I agree with the sentiment that we had 2 players sent off and neither off them were worthwhile, I think the best way to deal with people like Costa nowadays Is to simply win the game, keep the cool and out play them, unfortunately we were incapable of doing either of those things.

I was a CB too but probably a lot earlier than you. You could rush the keeper in my day and the game was more physical I suppose. A hard fair tackle from a few of us, one after the other, was how we sorted them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

. We had divers at Arsenal too in our time don't forget..

I don't know why this keeps coming up as if it's a way of condoning Costa's behaviour.

Yes we have in the past had divers and I never took kindly to it I'm glad we have no players currently in our team with a reputation for it.

Whether it be an Arsenal player or for any other team it needs to be cut out of the game it's ruining the game imo. Certainly ruined what could have been a good competitive game the weekend.

I'm not a massive rugby fan but football could and should learn a lot from how rugby conducts itself on the pitch.

I don't know why this keeps coming up as if it's a way of condoning Costa's behaviour.

Yes we have in the past had divers and I never took kindly to it I'm glad we have no players currently in our team with a reputation for it.

Whether it be an Arsenal player or for any other team it needs to be cut out of the game it's ruining the game imo. Certainly ruined what could have been a good competitive game the weekend.

I'm not a massive rugby fan but football could and should learn a lot from how rugby conducts itself on the pitch.
    It's not condoning anyone's behaviour. It is merely saying that it has been happening for many years and while we don't like it we cannot have a holier than thou attitude. No point in saying the we used to do it but now we have stopped. Let's see if the FA take action. I doubt they will.

Anyone know if Costa has been called by the FA

Does anyone know if there is any retrospective action here? Some posted it yesterday but see nothing in the media.

LoL I am coming towards the end of my playing days, but rest assured this is still how its done in the amature game :)

I'm a huge rugby fan and there's so much in the game that we could take into soccer. Going to the TMO for foul play as well is something that could be of massive benefit to soccer. Embarrassments like Costa would soon cut their antics out if they knew they were being watched.

LoL I am coming towards the end of my playing days, but rest assured this is still how its done in the amature game :)

Pity the pros don't do it anymore though ha ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

It's not condoning anyone's behaviour. It is merely saying that it has been happening for many years and while we don't like it we cannot have a holier than thou attitude. No point in saying the we used to do it but now we have stopped. Let's see if the FA take action. I doubt they will.

SOUDNS LIKE U ARE CONDONING!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

But your missing the point if it was an Arsenal player I'd still have the same attitude. I hate it in the game full stop.

I'm not being holier than though pretending Arsenal never had players that dine it simply saying I hate be it an Arsenal player or a player from any other team.

Saying we had players who done it we can't say anything us bull**** and a cop out.

Will the f.a do anything I don't know will they do enough probably not I am slightly hopeful fifa may in time bring in video ref's cut out talking back to the ref, waving imaginary cards, play acting etc one can hope once Blatter and Co are gone we can see some badly needed changes. Slightly hope anyway.

So football can get back to being about football and not like an episode of WWE full of drama with little action.

SOUDNS LIKE U ARE CONDONING!

I'm accepting that it has been happening for years. No team can blame another. All at it. It's up to the FA to ensure referees stamp it out BUT don't hold your breath. I don't see much difference in a player throwing himself down in the box in an attempt to get a penalty and a player sent off. Cheating is cheating.

But your missing the point if it was an Arsenal player I'd still have the same attitude. I hate it in the game full stop.

I'm not being holier than though pretending Arsenal never had players that dine it simply saying I hate be it an Arsenal player or a player from any other team.

Saying we had players who done it we can't say anything us bull**** and a cop out.

Will the f.a do anything I don't know will they do enough probably not I am slightly hopeful fifa may in time bring in video ref's cut out talking back to the ref, waving imaginary cards, play acting etc one can hope once Blatter and Co are gone we can see some badly needed changes. Slightly hope anyway.

So football can get back to being about football and not like an episode of WWE full of drama with little action.
    I'm not missing the point at all. I don't like cheating either but I see it happening every week and not just when it effects our results. It needs to stop but it won't until the FA take decisive action.

Full strength team against Spurs or a second string? Personally id like a strong enough 11 and to get a win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

wonga77 wrote: »
    Full strength team against Spurs or a second string? Personally id like a strong enough 11 and to get a win

We need the win for many reasons, I'd go strong but rest/drop players who need It. No point risking any injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

wonga77 wrote: »

Strong team for me. Think we should take both cups serious as they present us our only hope of silverware this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Strong team for me. Think we should take both cups serious as they present us our only hope of silverware this season.

A league cup and fa cup double wouldn't be that bad a season. Especially given the fact it'd be our 3rd fa cup in a row if we managed to win it.

Obviously we should be aiming higher but that doesn't seem likely this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

We need the win for many reasons, I'd go strong but rest/drop players who need It. No point risking any injuries.

Don't think anybody needs a rest this early into the season, but I agree a couple need dropping.

Hopefully we don't see debuchy and gibbs at full back on Wednesday.

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Don't think anybody needs a rest this early into the season, but I agree a couple need dropping.

Hopefully we don't see debuchy and gibbs at full back on Wednesday.

I think they need the game time as does Arteta so all should play imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement