Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Unbelievable, I'm not sure youtube do montages of strikers jumping out of tackles but just watch the Zagreb game again and you'll see him doing It.

Rather than rewatch that, could you tell me approx when it happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Funny lads saying they wouldn't except a player like Costa in our team.
    Didn't we bid 40 million plus 1 pound for the biter Suarez,

Funny lads saying they wouldn't except a player like Costa in our team.
    Didn't we bid 40 million plus 1 pound for the biter Suarez,

Suarez brings far more

efb wrote: »
    Suarez brings far more

More bite in him alright.

http://youtu.be/CgSrzl4hpCo

Didn't pull out here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

More bite in him alright.

I don't rate Costa that much.

He hasn't played well in a while after a good start.

I can see it ending soon enough with Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

People not rating costa is laughable, he may be a prick but like it or not he's only 2nd to aguero as best striker in the league.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    I don't rate Costa that much.

He hasn't played well in a while after a good start.

I can see it ending soon enough with Chelsea.

I never heard of him until last season as I don't follow continental football.
    He puts himself about and let's defenders know he's there.
    He seems to be pleasing Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Funny reading the Chelsea thread and the belief in some conspiracy against them.

If it's not the ball boys, it's the Referees, PFA, FA, LMA, Premier League, UEFA, FIFA, UNICEF, the UN, the sun, moon and stars (delete, or add, where applicable). Surprised they're not blaming the Hot Dog vendors tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

JT26 wrote: »
    I believe the talk is about consistency not conspiracy,get it right lads.sums you lot up indeed

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If it's not the ball boys, it's the Referees, PFA, FA, LMA, Premier League, UEFA, FIFA, UNICEF, the UN, the sun, moon and stars (delete, or add, where applicable). Surprised they're not blaming the Hot Dog vendors tbh.

Don't forget the medical staff. Their own medical staff lost them a game too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Quazzie wrote: »
    Don't forget the medical staff. Their own medical staff lost them a game too. ;)

Think you will find it was a 2-2 draw, don't get too much right down Arsenal way do you

What has happened to this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Basil3 wrote: »

Probably best to ..."Report post".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Basil3 wrote: »

Its obsessed with Costa :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Team for we'd

Ospina
    Debuchy. Mert. Chambers Gibbs
    Arteta. Ramsey
    Walcott. Giroud. Ox

I'm actually looking forward to seen arteta and Ramsey back into the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Way too much moaning about Chelsea in here. We all know even with 11 players we'd still have found a unique way to fcuk it up somehow. It's what we do against them.

It's not that I wasn't seething at the result but I'm more angry with what we have control over rather then blaming everyone else. If I'm honest Wenger is getting off the hook with all the attention on Costa, dean and co.

Time to move on though and if anything Spurs is the perfect opportunity to get back on track. Like Chelsea for us, Spurs are in our pocket ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Its obsessed with Costa :pac:
    Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Nice to hear a bit of good news after the last few days.

I don't even like Costa Coffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

wonder what striker wenger has his eye on for january , we desperately need one !! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So Wenger has said he tracked Martial but decided not to move for him because of the strength we have.

He even name dropped Joel Campbell who he seems to have about as much faith in as he did with Vela.

Strange comments either that or he's sitting at home having a right giggle at trolling the Arsenal fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

So Wenger has said he tracked Martial but decided not to move for him because of the strength we have.

He even name dropped Joel Campbell who he seems to have about as much faith in as he did with Vela.

Strange comments either that or he's sitting at home having a right giggle at trolling the Arsenal fans.

Martial is scoring goals well and good, but every one baulked at that price...buying him at that price is mother of all gambles and I would say fair play to United so far...Had Wenger gone for him...he would have been accused/lambasted for signing another teenager from french league.

Martial is scoring goals well and good, but every one baulked at that price...buying him at that price is mother of all gambles and I would say fair play to United so far...Had Wenger gone for him...he would have been accused/lambasted for signing another teenager from french league.

Martial would have been nice maybe it's still to early to say yes but promising start no doubt.

I'm more laughing at the thought of Wenger saying we didn't sign someone sure we have Joel Campbell whom he clearly doesn't seem to trust this far and name drops Oxlade-Chamberlain who still looks like the exact same player we signed as a teenager as valid excuses not to strengthen.

Martial would have been nice maybe it's still to early to say yes but promising start no doubt.

I'm more laughing at the thought of Wenger saying we didn't sign someone sure we have Joel Campbell whom he clearly doesn't seem to trust this far and name drops Oxlade-Chamberlain who still looks like the exact same player we signed as a teenager as valid excuses not to strengthen.

I think Campbell only stayed because of injury to Welbeck and even though he's only came on as a sub, i'm not impressed with him at all...

Agree on the OX, he hasn't improved at all..still the same player hot and cold. I'll blame Wenger for this, upping/telling him that he can play through the middle and messing his head.

• Advertisement

Wenger said Martial is more of a winger but then he plays Walcott upfront!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Although he was blatantly wound up, Gabriel deserves his fair share of criticism. The man has been brilliant for us and he goes and does something so unnecessary and now misses 3 games.
    Would Koscielny have done that? Absolutely not, as he proved. Per wouldn't do that in a million years either.
    So I hope Gabriel was disciplined strongly behind the scenes by the club and hopefully he comes back with the same level of performance.

Also, this Mike Dean bashing really is a bit strange. There are 4 officials responsible for overseeing the match.
    Mike Dean was watching the ball and the play when Costa swung at Koscielny; as he should have been doing as the referee. Hence why Costa is being charged retrospectively because he did not see it. Nor should he have been expected to see it. What type of referee watches the players inside the box when the ball is moving around the wings?

Arguably, the linesman on the near-side should have spotted it. He would have been keeping in line with Koscielny. But then you'd have to say that he was behind it all. The camera angle we got was looking straight into the faces of Costa and Koscielny. Though I'd still be a bit weary over the linesman in this case.

But to sum it up, Mike Dean was watching the ball being played when the count of violent conduct occurred. There was no way he was going to see that.
    And it was his responsibility to send Gabriel off after the kick out as well.

So over this particular incident, there really shouldn't be too many issues. He won't be demoted to a Championship game next week because the above is true, however hard a pill that is to swallow. I don't like the man, he comes across as very posh and arrogant; but the above is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Although he was blatantly wound up, Gabriel deserves his fair share of criticism. The man has been brilliant for us and he goes and does something so unnecessary and now misses 3 games.
    Would Koscielny have done that? Absolutely not, as he proved. Per wouldn't do that in a million years either.
    So I hope Gabriel was disciplined strongly behind the scenes by the club and hopefully he comes back with the same level of performance.

Also, this Mike Dean bashing really is a bit strange. There are 4 officials responsible for overseeing the match.
    Mike Dean was watching the ball and the play when Costa swung at Koscielny; as he should have been doing as the referee. Hence why Costa is being charged retrospectively because he did not see it. Nor should he have been expected to see it. What type of referee watches the players inside the box when the ball is moving around the wings?

Arguably, the linesman on the near-side should have spotted it. He would have been keeping in line with Koscielny. But then you'd have to say that he was behind it all. The camera angle we got was looking straight into the faces of Costa and Koscielny. Though I'd still be a bit weary over the linesman in this case.

But to sum it up, Mike Dean was watching the ball being played when the count of violent conduct occurred. There was no way he was going to see that.
    And it was his responsibility to send Gabriel off after the kick out as well.

So over this particular incident, there really shouldn't be too many issues. He won't be demoted to a Championship game next week because the above is true, however hard a pill that is to swallow. I don't like the man, he comes across as very posh and arrogant; but the above is true.

Dean blatantly failed to diffuse the situation. When he booked both of them, instead of taking them to one side and calming the situation down, for some reason he walked away while Costa and Gabriel continued their verbals. He washed his hands of it. A good ref would have taken both of them away, had a stern word and warned them that any more crap would result in them both being sent off.

Yes Gabriel was immature, but Dean was pathetically inept. As usual, once the spotlight was off him, he didnt want to know.

for once I'm liking we have some one who can stand up for his team mates, we have become a bunch of pansies...but I don't want him to loose his cool or take sly shots at opponents... but who can dish out when someone wants to play dirty like Arnoutovic from Stoke...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

keano_afc wrote: »
    Dean blatantly failed to diffuse the situation. When he booked both of them, instead of taking them to one side and calming the situation down, for some reason he walked away while Costa and Gabriel continued their verbals. He washed his hands of it. A good ref would have taken both of them away, had a stern word and warned them that any more crap would result in them both being sent off.

Yes Gabriel was immature, but Dean was pathetically inept. As usual, once the spotlight was off him, he didnt want to know.

Let's take a step back here.

It's clear from what the broadcaster showed us that Mike Dean called Costa and Gabriel over and tried to speak to them.
    Gabriel has a beginner's level or English and Costa doesn't have much better. If I was arguing with someone and the ref tried to diffuse it in Irish, he would get no where.

So that's why Mike Dean called Cazorla and Oscar over and pointed to the players and presumably asked them to send the message in Portuguese or Spanish or what ever. And after the bookings, they simply appeared to be talking to each other; what ever the discussion was about.

Perhaps he could have done a better job of that but I feel the abuse is over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Let's take a step back here.

It's clear from what the broadcaster showed us that Mike Dean called Costa and Gabriel over and tried to speak to them.
    Gabriel has a beginner's level or English and Costa doesn't have much better. If I was arguing with someone and the ref tried to diffuse it in Irish, he would get no where.

So that's why Mike Dean called Cazorla and Oscar over and pointed to the players and presumably asked them to send the message in Portuguese or Spanish or what ever. And after the bookings, they simply appeared to be talking to each other; what ever the discussion was about.

Perhaps he could have done a better job of that but I feel the abuse is over the top.

I dont think it is. He is a poor ref with a history of making himself the centre of attention. He didnt do nearly enough to nip the situation in the bud last Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The price remains a bit mad, but I said to myself when it happened 'at least they're doing something, taking a punt'. Yes, there's a large price for the player, but there's a price for not doing anything and sending the signal to underperforming players that their position is safe.

We spend far too much time on this thread worrying about the price of players.
    Wenger seems to do the same.
    Maybe that's why we don't seem to move forward.
    We'll buy a good player for a certain position and then fail to strengthen other positions even when we have the means because we worry about value.
    Being financially stable doesn't win trophies on its own. You have to take the odd risk too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

We spend far too much time on this thread worrying about the price of players.
    Wenger seems to do the same.
    Maybe that's why we don't seem to move forward.
    We'll buy a good player for a certain position and then fail to strengthen other positions even when we have the means because we worry about value.
    Being financially stable doesn't win trophies on its own. You have to take the odd risk too.

I agree with this to a degree but had Martial turned out to be a flop (and who knows, he still might) then that would have been a huge amount of money to throw on a punt. Maybe United can afford that kind of gamble but I'm not sure we can.

greendom wrote: »
    I agree with this to a degree but had Martial turned out to be a flop (and who knows, he still might) then that would have been a huge amount of money to throw on a punt. Maybe United can afford that kind of gamble but I'm not sure we can.

But surely you would get much of your money back on a transfer if he didn't work out. This is not just about Martial, it could be any player. Didn't we do ok on lads before I.e. Gervinho.
    Not to try and improve seems equally reckless.
    I know Martial was big money but the bar has been set and the next lad will be just as expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

It will be interesting to see what team Leicester will put out against West Ham in the league cup tonight. They have had such a great start to the season and we go there on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

But surely you would get much of your money back on a transfer if he didn't work out. This is not just about Martial, it could be any player. Didn't we do ok on lads before I.e. Gervinho.
    Not to try and improve seems equally reckless.
    I know Martial was big money but the bar has been set and the next lad will be just as expensive.

yes you're right there does need to be a change of mindset when it comes to buying players. On here too. I'm sure there would have been plenty of comments along the lines of "Wenger buying another no hoper French teenager etc etc"

greendom wrote: »
    yes you're right there does need to be a change of mindset when it comes to buying players. On here too. I'm sure there would have been plenty of comments along the lines of "Wenger buying another no hoper French teenager etc etc"

I agree although there were no adverse comments when he bought Campbell, Silva etc. As long as he's trying we seem to be happy.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I agree although there were no adverse comments when he bought Campbell, Silva etc. As long as he's trying we seem to be happy.

I doubt many people cared about those as they weren't expensive deals and were clearly "ones for the future" considering they couldn't even legally play for the club for a few years after we bought them, Spunking the guts of 40m on either of them would have raised a fair few eyebrows in fairness.

I agree with you though, I'd rather we had taken the gamble than done nothing at all. at the moment United are the ones reaping the rewards of doing just that.

• Advertisement

Yea I think people went mad about Sanogo because it was seen as the club and Wenger trying to find the cheap way out again. Not willing to show drive or ambition.

Rightly or wrongly ambition and quality are often interlinked with how much you spent on the player.

Arsenal midfielder Francis Coquelin will miss tomorrow's Capital One Cup tie at Tottenham due to a swollen knee.

Manager Arsene Wenger hopes it is a short-term problem, but says centre-back Per Mertesacker is available for the game and hinted he will make changes and indicated youngster Alex Iwobi could be involved - BBC Sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Wenger talking about Coquelin's injury- We hope it is just short term.

Jesus wept.

Anyone have any word on how Biliek is doing?
    Thought he'd be on the fringes by now.

Anyone have any word on how Biliek is doing?
    Thought he'd be on the fringes by now.

Playing centre back for the under 21's and supposedly really struggling.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement