Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Soups123 wrote: »
    I really really really really really dont understand this statement at all. like really really really

I'm presuming that spending the money on Cech will mean that other signings will be passed up on. Signing another forward for instance might take a hit. Our defensive record was pretty good last year with Ospina. Up front we could definitely have done with another top tier forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

The player we need is carvalho he is a hybrid between coq and arteta

Strong in the tackle and break up play and can move the ball around the pitch

He's the one that I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

vetinari wrote: »
    I'm presuming that spending the money on Cech will mean that other signings will be passed up on. Signing another forward for instance might take a hit. Our defensive record was pretty good last year with Ospina. Up front we could definitely have done with another top tier forward.

He only cost £11 million :confused: We have a lot more than that in the kitty if the right player becomes available, as proven by the Ozil and Sanchez buys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

bad2dabone wrote: »
    He's the one that I want.

Ok Olivia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

If its true Jorge Mendes is carvalho's agent

Then we can forget it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

vetinari wrote: »

You do know the deal was for £10m? That's not gonna scratch the surface in terms of the wealth we have. It's 10m for a world class keeper that we need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We easily have a 40m signing in us IF the right player becomes available. Gazidis said it himself a few weeks back, we can get players if they're available but we're not at the level yet to have the power to make 40m players available at our will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Then we can forget it

he is, his company anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Then we can forget it

Not doubting you, just curious. Why is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/616169814009233408

So Diaby is gone. What could have been :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Such a shame the way his career has gone. I wonder who will pick him up, assuming someone does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Such a shame the way his career has gone. I wonder who will pick him up, assuming someone does.

If he was clever he'd move straight into coaching & getting the required qualifications, he'd have the financial security to allow this & could be fully qualified & still be young enough to make a great career of it... as sad as it is he surely see's that a playing career looks doomed, if he couldnt make it at a top club with all their facilities & resources he'll really struggle at a lesser club IMO.

I wish him well though, on his day he was up there, sadly they were few & far between with all those injuries.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Diaby while a huge talent has done extremely well to get paid for this long from the club. No way he'll pass an nct at another club. Coaching is probably his best bet at staying involved in football now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭ronjo

wonga77 wrote: »
    Diaby while a huge talent has done extremely well to get paid for this long from the club. No way he'll pass an nct at another club. Coaching is probably his best bet at staying involved in football now

He could probably get a pay as you play contract.
    The talent is certainly there...... Just horrible luck with fitness obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Surprising given the pay as you play contract rumours, he either didn't fancy it or its more evidence of the ruthless streak that's starting to form in AW.

Favourite Abou Diaby moment folks?

Torn between the roundhouse kick to the head of Terry or him bossing it in midfield against Liverpool at Anfield a couple of years back when we thought we'd just discovered Yaya Toure reincarnate.

Loved the comments from Cech today.

basically says he joined because he likes Wengers project and expects to win titles. He listed the teams who are competing for titles.....................

Then he got the kick in, some teams are happy to just compete for top four, like Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

cson wrote: »
    Surprising given the pay as you play contract rumours, he either didn't fancy it or its more evidence of the ruthless streak that's starting to form in AW.

Torn between the roundhouse kick to the head of Terry or him bossing it in midfield against Liverpool at Anfield a couple of years back when we thought we'd just discovered Yaya Toure reincarnate.

Kicking that scumbag in the head is something I think none of us will forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

cson wrote: »

Definitely these two, I seem to remember him player on the left wing one season and scoring a few goals. He also grabbed Joey Barton by the throat after a shocking challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Very happy for him. He would thrive over there.

https://twitter.com/GurjitAFC/status/616281228367556608

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Very happy for him. He would thrive over there.

https://twitter.com/GurjitAFC/status/616281228367556608[/quote

He could have thrived in most places- he just could stay fit long enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Well worth the read this. Agree with vast majority of it especially the way some people are completely writing off Arteta.

http://www.gunnerstown.com/arsenal/2015/07/01/the-transfer-window-is-open-and-arsenals-business-is-concluded/

Well worth the read this. Agree with vast majority of it especially the way some people are completely writing off Arteta.

http://www.gunnerstown.com/arsenal/2015/07/01/the-transfer-window-is-open-and-arsenals-business-is-concluded/

Have to agree with a lot of what he says, and as I said earlier, I'd imagine we aren't actively seeking anyone, but should genuine class become available, I'd say we'll be in for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Don't think anyone actually wrote him off.
    He'll still be good enough to play against many EPL teams but I just feel that the teams at the top of the tree will have too much for him in terms of energy and speed..

Don't think anyone actually wrote him off.
    He'll still be good enough to play against many EPL teams but I just feel that the teams at the top of the tree will have too much for him in terms of energy and speed..

Don't disagree. And that's why he will be second choice. And when rested I think he is well capable of playing the odd game against the big teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Don't disagree. And that's why he will be second choice. And when rested I think he is well capable of playing the odd game against the big teams.

Won't be his fault if he's not though, he's a great professional.
    Has been a great servant and one of my favourite players but time catches up with everyone.

I'm not worried about Arteta being a second choice im more worried we are backing Coq for first choice.

I'm still nervous as to whether last season was a flash in the pan

Nothing has changed in regard to our need for a top quality DMF. Yes Coquelin had a great 5 months, but expecting a season that of that is unrealistic. I think we could do without a top striker if we sort out the need for a defensive midfielder.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Nothing has changed in regard to our need for a top quality DMF. Yes Coquelin had a great 5 months, but expecting a season that of that is unrealistic. I think we could do without a top striker if we sort out the need for a defensive midfielder.

Can I ask why you think that? It's not like he's a striker where they can go through hot streaks. He has a knack for defensive tackles, timing and aggression that is balanced finely. I think he's a gem, and am confident that AW has either got lucky here, or knew what he was doing... Either way, I'm confident that he will be the enforcer that we needed for many years to come. I've no reason to think otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think we will se w what becomes available before we move in the market again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

emmetlego wrote: »
    Can I ask why you think that? It's not like he's a striker where they can go through hot streaks. He has a knack for defensive tackles, timing and aggression that is balanced finely. I think he's a gem, and am confident that AW has either got lucky here, or knew what he was doing... Either way, I'm confident that he will be the enforcer that we needed for many years to come. I've no reason to think otherwise!

I think he'll be a success to and hope very much so.

But we shouldn't rely on it. The reality is it's a position, like defence, where experience is important.

Our problem was never giving young players the chance to shine, it was not having backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

gosplan wrote: »
    Our problem was never giving young players the chance to shine, it was not having backup.

Pretty much how I feel about our options up top as well as DM and if we're going to strengthen in those positions I feel we should be looking to make our current options backup. Yes, Coquelin and Giroud are good players but are there better players out there in their position? Of course and if we realistically want to start challenging for titles we should definitely be looking at improving in those positions.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

All players are subject to form and defensive midfielders are no different. 5 months is a small sample period to monitor a player and make a definitive judgement, particularly for a 24 year old. There are countless of examples of players who burst into a team looking **** hot for a few months, only to fade into obscurity, and I dare say if you'd watched Coquelin a few times prior to this season you'd have plenty of concerns about whether he's up to it.

Coquelin may yet prove to be a world class central midfielder, but as it stands going into a new campaign with only Coquelin and Arteta as our defensive midfield options leaves me very uneasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭ronjo

All players are subject to form and defensive midfielders are no different. 5 months is a small sample period to monitor a player and make a definitive judgement, particularly for a 24 year old. There are countless of examples of players who burst into a team looking **** hot for a few months, only to fade into obscurity, and I dare say if you'd watched Coquelin a few times prior to this season you'd have plenty of concerns about whether he's up to it.

Coquelin may yet prove to be a world class central midfielder, but as it stands going into a new campaign with only Coquelin and Arteta as our defensive midfield options leaves me very uneasy.

Coquelin is a strange one though. I dont think he had one poor game since he came back and we did concede on more than one occasion after taking him off while chasing the game.

His stats were hugely impressive for interceptions and tackles also in the second half of the season, bettering the likes of Matic if I remember correctly.

That said I would like an extra midfielder but I think I would prefer a box to box player rather than a DM that could slot in beside him or replace him as needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He improved over the 5 month period as well imo.

He did look quite reckless for the first few games he played, picking up his fair share of yellows to begin with. (almost like a Flamini clone) But his discipline and timing has improved and that can be seen with the lack of bookings after those early matches.

I understand the reservations from some, but to me he's the real deal.

Because we've seen it at Arsenal before. He's 24 so lets not pretend he's suddenly appeared out of nowhere and become world class. It's a very small window you're judging him in. All players have patches of form and I dont see why Coquelin would be any different. Starting the season with him as first choice there would be a mistake I think, especially if the only back up is Arteta, who we've repeatedly see is not up to it against the better sides.

• Advertisement

Thinking we require an alternative to Coq is not mutually exclusive with thinking Coq is the real deal.

Kos is the real deal but I'm glad we signed Gabriel, however not having him for all of last year hurt us.

If we believe we can challenge, we believe we can win. However if the window closes and we lose Coq for a few games, it's very likely we'll drop points that we wouldn't have otherwise. Particularly if we're back to playing Arteta at DMF against Utd or City(if he's even fit). It could be the difference between a draw and a loss but how many points do we think will be in it come May?

gosplan wrote: »
    Thinking we require an alternative to Coq is not mutually exclusive with thinking Coq is the real deal.

Kos is the real deal but I'm glad we signed Gabriel, however not having him for all of last year hurt us.

If we believe we can challenge, we believe we can win. However if the window closes and we lose Coq for a few games, it's very likely we'll drop points that we wouldn't have otherwise. Particularly if we're back to playing Arteta at DMF against Utd or City(if he's even fit). It could be the difference between a draw and a loss but how many points do we think will be in it come May?

That is true...but so will Chelsea, United and City when Matic/Carrick and Fernandinho are injured/suspended though.

Chelsea are the team to catch and have about 4 guys who can play there if needed.

IIRC in some of the matches towards the end of the year, then even started that beastly young lad instead of Matic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

How can you say you don't like Gabriel when he's only played a handful of games for us?

Can't ever see Ospina pushing for the number 1 spot either with cech in the team, he'll probably be sold on and Chesney kept, which is a good thing because ches can hopefully learn a lot from cech, we now have 2 good keepers and one world class. Not a bad state of affairs to be in but somebody is gonna have to make way and my money is on Ospina

Tevez is gone back to Boca btw, I'd quote your post but it's too long

And it seems the post I was replying to has either disappeared or I've gone insane!

Ospina is gone. As is Poldi. Ospina did fine, but it's a no brainer upgrading him for Cech. Woj is one of our homegrown players too, and is potentially a really good keeper. I'm glad he's kept on, if he learns to grow up by following a great professional like Cech then good for him.

Moving on, I think we might take a stab at Carvalho consider that arteta still hasn't re signed yet. Rumours that Theo was offered three choices, activate a year's extension, be sold, or take a new four year deal. He's apparently taken the deal, which I'm delighted about. If we don't sign another striker I hope himself, Giroud and welbeck duke it out again this season. Wanting more from welbeck too and I hope we get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I know there is no loyalty in football, but I get the feeling the Theo feels at home at the club. He seems the kind of guy who appreciates we looked after him well when injured. It probably sounds a bit mad in today's world where money and self gain take priority for most, but I just get a different vibe from Theo. I think he'll sign an extension with us.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I know there is no loyalty in football, but I get the feeling the Theo feels at home at the club. He seems the kind of guy who appreciates we looked after him well when injured. It probably sounds a bit mad in today's world where money and self gain take priority for most, but I just get a different vibe from Theo. I think he'll sign an extension with us.

Yeah while id imagine Theo would fight his corner id also imagine that hes not an Ashley Cole in that he wont just jump ship at the first sign of his demands not being met.

We seem v positive in here of late

efb wrote: »

Wenger out!!! :P There happy now :pac:

efb wrote: »

I still don't think we're capable of a title challenge until we either back up coq or improve on him. That's just my opinion though

Have never heard anything from Walcott that would give me a negative view of him.

Some of the twitter semi reliables are saying that arteta isn't recovering from his injury....

Wenger out!!! :P There happy now :pac:

better

Wenger In!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Have never heard anything from Walcott that would give me a negative view of him.

Thought he acted the same way Sterling behaved this year when renegotiating his contract two or three years ago tbh

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Wenger in, out, shake it all about.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement