Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

For various reasons we're becoming a laughing stock. That really was atrocious last night.
    I was almost embarrassed for Sanchez that that's what he moved here for.
    One again Wenger choosing a players individual happiness over the team by putting in ospina. Then the clown drops a corner into the goal! Are you having a laugh!!!?
    Horrible.

We're pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

monkey9 wrote: »
    Piers Morgan was on TalkSport there a few minutes ago, moaning on about Wenger as usual. But said he was told last night (wouldn't say by who) that Cech was definitely not injured and Ospina has been contractually guaranteed to play games like last night.

Piers Morgan and Talksport? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

efb wrote: »
    I don't do Bandwagon FC- I stick with things through the good and bad.
    I guess some people have ambition and others don't.
    Some fans are happy with no longer being a top club and are happy out winning an fa cup.

Disgraceful

Can we stop posting **** like this please? It contributes nothing and makes the thread unreadable.

All the regular posters have a good idea of where everybody stands, there is no need to try winding people up and claiming to be a "real fan" after every win or loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

The Emirates really emptied quick last night, by the 85th minute or possibly earlier they were heading out in their droves. Seemed strange seeing as we were on the attack for an equaliser and werent 2 or 3 down or anything, a lot of spectators had seen enough at that stage and even a late draw wouldnt have done much to satisfy the crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

The Wenger in/out debate is one that should be had

What gets on my tits is we have to have it after ever my defeat

Also this labelling of fans, Ye have no ambition if Ye want them to stay or bandwagoners if Ye want him to go

What's that about people can disagree and have a debate without that shïte been thrown out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

farna_boy wrote: »
    Can we stop posting **** like this please? It contributes nothing and makes the thread unreadable.

All the regular posters have a good idea of where everybody stands, there is no need to try winding people up and claiming to be a "real fan" after every win or loss.

Hence why I said the original post was a Croc of **** it contributes nothing bar to wind people up its not constructive and adds nothing to the discussion.

wonga77 wrote: »
    The Emirates really emptied quick last night, by the 85th minute or possibly earlier they were heading out in their droves. Seemed strange seeing as we were on the attack for an equaliser and werent 2 or 3 down or anything, a lot of spectators had seen enough at that stage and even a late draw wouldnt have done much to satisfy the crowd
    Just seemed like a lost cause tbh. All stuff we've all seen before like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

wonga77 wrote: »

We've a shocking home support but one of the best away supports in the League.

Go figure $$$ :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I guess some people have ambition and others don't.

This always makes me laugh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Koscielny out of the Utd game.
    Super - so he'll put Chambers in..
    Personally i'd put Dubuchy in the middle, or Monreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Koscielny out of the Utd game.
    Super - so he'll put Chambers in..
    Personally i'd put Dubuchy in the middle, or Monreal.

Is there something wrong with Gabriel or Mert?

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Is there something wrong with Gabriel or Mert?

Mert is fine. But isn't Gabriel serving a ban? So that means Kosc and Gab are unavailable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Since the start of last season, we have won 18 out of 31 home games in all competitions. Will we ever turn it into a fortress like Highbury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Mert is fine. But isn't Gabriel serving a ban? So that means Kosc and Gab are unavailable

No Gab served his ban against Leicester. How long is Kosc out for ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Why do defenders turn their backs on a shot coming in? We have been guilty of this a few times over the last number of games and their first goal last night might have been prevented if we kept our eye on the ball rather than trying to shield away from it.

It's not just Arsenal players that are doing it, it seems to be rife at the moment. Players earning 10s of thousands a week afraid of getting hit by a ball. It's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Why does Wenger drop Cech for Ospina in the CL games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Can Santi come out of CM too? I know he is well liked but we need Ramsey back there now. Vidal vs Cazorla will end very bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Can Santi come out of CM too? I know he is well liked but we need Ramsey back there now. Vidal vs Cazorla will end very bad.

If we play like we have in our opening two games I fear for our whole team vs Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Plus they have quality players to come back, Robben and Ribery being at least two.

• Advertisement

All the talk of Ozil leaving and people worrying he will leave us, he won't take the new deal we are supposedly going to offer him. I honestly don't care, He doesn't deserve an increase in his current deal, he hasn't earned it. He's good against the minnows, but never steps up for the big games. People can say none of our players show up in the big games, but we didnt pay €40M + for most of our players.
    If he was in the Utd, City, Chelsea team, he'd be dropped possibly even sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Labelling people who want a change of management as bandwagon f.c is the biggest Croc of **** I've seen on here.

How dare people question the status quo :rolleyes: what if we supported leeds you said sorry we don't support leeds we support one of the biggest richest clubs in the world :rolleyes: I guess some people have ambition and others don't.

Where did I label them as bandwagon fc- I clearly explained what that meant.

What's been so good about the last two seasons?

This is the attitude that has brought the club down. Some fans are happy with no longer being a top club and are happy out winning an fa cup.

Disgraceful

We won the FA Cup, and finished 4th then 3rd

We now have the most FA Cup wins in history.

Is that not success to you?

All the talk of Ozil leaving and people worrying he will leave us, he won't take the new deal we are supposedly going to offer him. I honestly don't care, He doesn't deserve an increase in his current deal, he hasn't earned it. He's good against the minnows, but never steps up for the big games. People can say none of our players show up in the big games, but we didnt pay €40M + for most of our players.
    If he was in the Utd, City, Chelsea team, he'd be dropped possibly even sold

If he was sold the press would suddenly see all he does again...

farna_boy wrote: »

I never classed myself as a 'real fan' I don't live in London and I don't have a season ticket- Im a supporter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

I'm not justifying our two losses. They were games we should have and needed to win.

I just don't understand where the attitude has come from that these games should be easy wins? It's the Champions League for a reason. Greece, Croatia.. doesn't matter where the team is from it's going to be a tough game.

Someone posted a picture a while a go of a team with Seaman, Keown, Adams, Viera, Bergkamp, Anelka and Overmars --- saying 'Wish we had this team again'

Like we came third in our group that year with Lens, Dynamo Kyiv and Panathinikos on the back of a league victory. I just really don't understand where the attitude that these are 'easy' games has come from. That's not issued to the boards group in general , just what I'm hearing in work etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

byrneg28 wrote: »
    I'm not justifying our two losses. They were games we should have and needed to win.

I just don't understand where the attitude has come from that these games should be easy wins? It's the Champions League for a reason. Greece, Croatia.. doesn't matter where the team is from it's going to be a tough game.

Someone posted a picture a while a go of a team with Seaman, Keown, Adams, Viera, Bergkamp, Anelka and Overmars --- saying 'Wish we had this team again'

Like we came third in our group that year with Lens, Dynamo Kyiv and Panathinikos on the back of a league victory. I just really don't understand where the attitude that these are 'easy' games has come from. That's not issued to the boards group in general , just what I'm hearing in work etc.
    Sorry, but if you don't think our first 2 champ league games were easily 6 points, then your on a different planet to most people. These 2 losses were disgraceful and unacceptable in 99% of fans heads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

There are no easy games in Europe but I think most fans were pleased with the draw. We burst our bollox every year to get to the CL. If the club are serious about winning it or even advancing to the latter stages or whatever then we should be able to qualify from this group with a degree of comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

To use a Forrest Gump quote, "Mama says, life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get". In this case it's Arsenal. We never know what we will get in a match. No coherency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Not easy wins Byrne, but definitely wins. 4 points at the very least.
    Otherwise we might as well call the whole thing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I think the attitude that these are easy games has come from the period of about 5 years between 2007 and 2012 when we did (like most English teams) stroll through these matches. It wasn't even a group game but I remember Bendtner scoring a hat trick against Porto a few years ago having missed a rake of chances the previous Saturday at home to Burnley. These games were easy a few years ago and we could even afford to play slightly weakened teams.

The problem is that now we cannot afford to do that but for some reason the manager hasn't copped it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

emmetlego wrote: »
    Sorry, but if you don't think our first 2 champ league games were easily 6 points, then your on a different planet to most people. These 2 losses were disgraceful and unacceptable in 99% of fans heads!

Okay fair enough.

So why when we're going to play an Everton, Palace, Spurs... why are people cagey to not call these games an 'easy 6 points'?

I just can't understand it. I expect us to go out and beat weaker teams in the Premier League, I just don't take anything for granted, just like the Champions League --- Olympiacos would easily be a top half team in the Premier League, so I don't know why people are cagey against an Everton but 100% confident it's 3 points against an Olympiacos?? ---

I mean we have lost to them 3/4 times in the Champions League before. Albeit away, they're still no pushovers.

Okay fair enough.

So why when we're going to play an Everton, Palace, Spurs... why are people cagey to not call these games an 'easy 6 points'?

I just can't understand it. I expect us to go out and beat weaker teams in the Premier League, I just don't take anything for granted, just like the Champions League --- Olympiacos would easily be a top half team in the Premier League, so I don't know why people are cagey against an Everton but 100% confident it's 3 points against an Olympiacos?? ---

I mean we have lost to them 3/4 times in the Champions League before. Albeit away, they're still no pushovers.

they probably wouldn't and I say that being Greek and knowing that the Greek league is not very competitive anymore, thus Olympiacos wins the league every year. There is a similarity though that the Greek league is also very physical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Who are we? Arsenal or West Ham?? We are Europe's elite, supposed to be up there with the Bayerns,Barcelona's,Juventus etc. The Croatian and Greek champions might be tough opposition physically but mentally and technically we are far superior, or ate least we should be.

The team we played In both games should have been capable of beating Zagreb and Olymp but instead we lost both games and will now STRUGGLE to get out of the group but all of a sudden that was to be expected because Zagreb and Olymp are just sooo good?

We made one signing this year, one, a man who was supposed to help us to League and CL success yet In a must win game Wenger decides to bench him? Why did we buy him so?

Munich smashed Zagreb 5-0 and Olymp 3-0, we are supposed to be on the same level as Munich yet we lost to both teams, god knows what score the 2 legs against Munich will be. Somebody mentioned ambition on here and he was scoffed at, but really If you're not pissed about the CL results or don't see It as a big deal or surprise then maybe you do lack ambition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Why do defenders turn their backs on a shot coming in? We have been guilty of this a few times over the last number of games and their first goal last night might have been prevented if we kept our eye on the ball rather than trying to shield away from it.

It's not just Arsenal players that are doing it, it seems to be rife at the moment. Players earning 10s of thousands a week afraid of getting hit by a ball. It's embarrassing.

Noticed this a lot lately. Drives me nuts. From an Arsenal point of view, I was speculating it might be a result of never, ever facing shots in training. But as you say, everyone seems to be at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I think the attitude that these are easy games has come from the period of about 5 years between 2007 and 2012 when we did (like most English teams) stroll through these matches. It wasn't even a group game but I remember Bendtner scoring a hat trick against Porto a few years ago having missed a rake of chances the previous Saturday at home to Burnley. These games were easy a few years ago and we could even afford to play slightly weakened teams.

The problem is that now we cannot afford to do that but for some reason the manager hasn't copped it yet.

It's this alright. We cruised through this so many times people think we are be entitled to hammer everyone bar the giants.

Who are we? Arsenal or West Ham?? We are Europe's elite, supposed to be up there with the Bayerns,Barcelona's,Juventus etc. The Croatian and Greek champions might be tough opposition physically but mentally and technically we are far superior, or ate least we should be.

The team we played In both games should have been capable of beating Zagreb and Olymp but instead we lost both games and will now STRUGGLE to get out of the group but all of a sudden that was to be expected because Zagreb and Olymp are just sooo good?

We made one signing this year, one, a man who was supposed to help us to League and CL success yet In a must win game Wenger decides to bench him? Why did we buy him so?

Munich smashed Zagreb 5-0 and Olymp 3-0, we are supposed to be on the same level as Munich yet we lost to both teams, god knows what score the 2 legs against Munich will be. Somebody mentioned ambition on here and he was scoffed at, but really If you're not pissed about the CL results or don't see It as a big deal or surprise then maybe you do lack ambition.

I would consider Munich (and Barcelona and Real) a level above everyone else, but I do get your point and agree with it.

For me, losing to Olympiacos at the Emirates is a really low point. And I know we have lost to them (repeatedly) when playing away, but I am under the impression that we played them as the last group game where the result didn't matter. It will be interesting this year, being the last game again but the result will most likely matter.

To be honest, I see it very difficult to qualify if we don't get 3 points against Bayern. Otherwise we would need the 2 Zagreb vs Olympiacos games to draw, so we can (kind of) control our fate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

PP reckon Arsenal have a 24% chance of qualifying from the group. I think they're being generous!!!

I honestly think we need 4 points from Bayern now otherwise we can say good luck to Europe. The sad fact is we're far more likely to still have 0 points going into our final 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

To get briefly away from the disaster of last night. Does anyone have a silver membership that i could use to buy an extra ticket to the Sunderland game on 5th Dec. I have one myself but need another to bring my brother over for his first game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You'd think Bayern would beat Arsenal in the next 2 games, effectively giving them top spot. They can then field weakened teams against Zagreb and Olympiacos.

And then we finish bottom! No pointless Europa league! Every cloud!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

You'd think Bayern would beat Arsenal in the next 2 games, effectively giving them top spot. They can then field weakened teams against Zagreb and Olympiacos.
    A weakened Bayern team will still beat both.

And then we finish bottom! No pointless Europa league! Every cloud!

Yes!!! I'm delighted that we don't have to play In Europe for the rest of the season, you know, Europe that place we fight so hard to qualify for every year...:rolleyes:

wawaman wrote: »
    To get briefly away from the disaster of last night. Does anyone have a silver membership that i could use to buy an extra ticket to the Sunderland game on 5th Dec. I have one myself but need another to bring my brother over for his first game

I follow Arsenal tickets on Twitter great for people offloading extras if you have no luck here
    @tickets2arsenal

Yes!!! I'm delighted that we don't have to play In Europe for the rest of the season, you know, Europe that place we fight so hard to qualify for every year...:rolleyes:

Roll your eyes back, we all agree we can't win the UCL, very difficult to qualify now, what would a protracted tour of Europes lesser clubs achieve?

The league is blown wide open arm- let's focus on that

Roll your eyes back, we all agree we can't win the UCL, very difficult to qualify now, what would a protracted tour of Europes lesser clubs achieve?

The league is blown wide open arm- let's focus on that

We might actually win a trophy In Europe, our players would get more experience travelling, playing abroad and playing against European sides, our club would make more money, we would see more football matches and we might be able to redeem ourselves with some good performances, also we need to do our best so that England don't lose CL places, we've all been sooo delighted getting 4th every year because that brings European football to the club, now you think we've a slight chance of winning the league and all of a sudden you're asking what the point In even trying to play In Europe Is???

The quality of football In the Europa league Is better than the quality of football we've been playing for the majority of the season, the more games the better for this bunch and for Wenger who needs to take his head out of his arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Well Cech has made his own howlers this season too!

And don't other teams rotate goalies for the UCL too???

I don't really care what other teams do. We waited a long time to finally have a world class gk and then we go and rest him for a must win game. If Wenger really believes that Cech could have made the same mistake as Ospina last night then why did he buy him at all then, why not just stick with Ospina as our number one.

As for the last two season not being bad, they've been the same as every other season except the FA Cup wins just papered over the cracks and gave the illusion that we were making progress when in fact we're stagnating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think people are being a tad harsh here on the current Arsenal team. There has been improvement over the last couple of years in the league.

The Champion's league has not gone so well but anybody who watched last night's game would know it was one of those freak results where everything just fell right for Olympiakos. On another night, most nights actually, they would have been hammered off the park by Arsenal in a similar type game.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think people are being a tad harsh here on the current Arsenal team. There has been improvement over the last couple of years in the league.

The Champion's league has not gone so well but anybody who watched last night's game would know it was one of those freak results where everything just fell right for Olympiakos. On another night, most nights actually, they would have been hammered off the park by Arsenal in a similar type game.

...and everything fell right for Dinamo Zagreb...and West Ham...and Chelsea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

eagle eye wrote: »

I think the worry is that this is not a one - off. In 3 of our most recent home games in Europe we have conceded 3 goals each time - Anderlecht, Monaco and now Olympiakos. It's not a freak result, in fact it's becoming the norm in Europe and it's right that fans are questioning the manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Christ this is not about expecting Arsenal to hammer certain teams we play. I fully expect any team we come up against to play their best against us. What is soul destroying is this team is not performing anywhere near it's best. If it was only one or two players then they could be blamed and isolated but it appears to be permeating through the whole team and that then lies at the feet of the manager who obviously cannot inspire or motivate the team to play to it's full potential.

TBH our current league position is being helped by some dismal performances from our rivals but lets not sugar coat this the current Arsenal team is playing well below par, there is a discipline problem which is costing us in important games (No Giroud available as a plan B last night for example). All of this tracks back to the manager and the team he has surrounding him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement