Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

apparantly wenger let rip on the arsenal players in training yesterday

Has he just had his sight restored or what??
    Goes to show he's past it if he's only doing that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

According too......?

few websites reporting it mate. google :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

I think Monreal has to start as much as possible from now on. Gibbs on a good night is solid enough defensively but his offensive game isnt a patch on Monreal. Little link up play with Alexis, only counted 1 or 2 overlaps and getting to the bye line on Tuesday.

Ox too I think should be limited to subs appearances, just not contributing enough.

Blasting the players is too little too late, making the same errors time and time again, year after year.

Hopefully we give the league a good rattle but if we fall away again I fear for us a little...

Is Alexis going to hang around for this? The man is carrying us on his little shoulders, he must look around sometimes and wonder wtf...

You could add Ozil, maybe Kos to this list also. I just hope we won't be going back to the days of selling our best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I can just imagine what Ali (and his ilk) would be saying if he hadn't let rip....

Damned if you do...

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Hopefully we give the league a good rattle but if we fall away again I fear for us a little...

Is Alexis going to hang around for this? The man is carrying us on his little shoulders, he must look around sometimes and wonder wtf...

You could add Ozil, maybe Kos to this list also. I just hope we won't be going back to the days of selling our best players.

Alexis is playing well now (brilliantly even) but had a very slow start to the season and it's fair to say he was being carried by the rest of the team. It's a team game and hopefully he realises that ! Hopefully the team will come together on Sunday and give United a good doing over !

greendom wrote: »
    I can just imagine what Ali (and his ilk) would be saying if he hadn't let rip....

Damned if you do...

Wenger has put himself in this hole in fairness. A title challenge or a cup double can be his only saving grace now for me.

Wenger has put himself in this hole in fairness. A title challenge or a cup double can be his only saving grace now for me.

Yes that's fair enough but he still has to deal with the situation he finds himself in.

"Well I fecked up in the transfer window, might as well not bother"

The team played poorly on Tuesday, it's up to them (and Wenger) to put it right on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

As much as I'd like to, I really cant argue with any of that.

Only the title will do for me.
    Fed up of Mickey Mouse cups.

Only the title will do for me.
    Fed up of Mickey Mouse cups.

The FA Cup is not a Mickey Mouse cup - ok it's not as good as winning the league but that doesn't stop it from being a great thing to win.

The FA Cup is not a Mickey Mouse cup - ok it's not as good as winning the league but that doesn't stop it from being a great thing to win.

It only papers over the EPL cracks and saves Wenger's blushes.
    The league is where it's at. 38 games to decide who's best.
    Sure a few years ago Man Utd chose not to play in the FA Cup at all and many teams field weakened sides for it.

The FA cup has lost It's prestige over time and It's becoming less and less important to English football unfortunately. It's good to win It of course but If you have a poor season In the PL then the FA Cup Is hardly a consolation.

The FA cup has lost It's prestige over time and It's becoming less and less important to English football unfortunately. It's good to win It of course but If you have a poor season In the PL then the FA Cup Is hardly a consolation.

Really ? It was for me

Really ? It was for me

Ah but you're easily satisfied.

Ah but you're easily satisfied.

and you expect too much !

• Advertisement

and you expect too much !

Maybe. I want better than 3rd or 4th every year followed by an early exit from Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It's shameful that winning the cup twice in a row and finishing only behind the oil money clubs is considered failure round here.

Literally better than every single club in the country that supports itself.

"Not good enough for me! I DEMAND MORE!"

Shameful. Not to mention at odds with reality.

Maybe. I want better than 3rd or 4th every year followed by an early exit from Europe.

I'm very disappointed with our European form. We should be doing so much better in that competition.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It's shameful that winning the cup twice in a row and finishing only behind the oil money clubs is considered failure round here.

What's shameful is the same ol same ol every year and not being able to kick on and win the big one, the EPL through lack of investment and the inability of an inept manager and board.

What's shameful is the same ol same ol every year and not being able to kick on and win the big one, the EPL through lack of investment and the inability of an inept manager and board.

So literally every single club bar oil money & United a few years back is shameful?? You realise only one team can win the league?

So literally every single club bar oil money & United a few years back is shameful?? You realise only one team can win the league?

We wont win it under this regime. That's for sure.
    BUT we'll have a great bank balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Throwing away a 3 goal lead at home to Anderlecht - shameful
    Losing at home to Olympiacos - shameful
    Losing away to Zagreb - shameful

I could go on and those results have nothing to do with oil clubs or anyone else.

Throwing away a 3 goal lead at home to Anderlecht - shameful
    Losing at home to Olympiacos - shameful
    Losing away to Zagreb - shameful

I could go on and those results have nothing to do with oil clubs or anyone else.

The problem is that some of our people have short memories.
    One good performance and they forget the dross that went on before.
    I still remember losing a 4 nil lead to feckin Newcastle. Aaaggghhhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Out of curiosity, at what stage would you say enough is enough?
    Would you be happy for Wenger to continue the trend for another 3 or 4 years with no title, poor showing in Europe but an fa cup or league cup medal thrown in every now and then?
    Its nothing against you in particular, I just wonder what it would take for some people to tip them over the edge.

For me, its not about the oil money or competing with that really. What pisses me off is our weak mentality, poor structure on the field. Inability to defend set pieces, inability to take a proper corner kick. The clubs loyalty to players like Diaby, Rosicky (much and all as I like them) when its clear they are a drain on funds (Yeah I know Diaby is gone before someone feels the need to point it out) , having the 4th highest wage bill in the pl and having to settle for players like Sanogo.
    The fact that despite all this, we are so very close to competing for the premier league and just wont take that extra step forward is what annoys me most

It's the different between half empty and half full people. I remember the good stuff a lot better than I do the bad. If the bad always outweighed the good, I'd seriously question why I bother at all.

since then we have won 4 times at St James's Park. It's easy to see how full your glass is !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

since then we have won 4 times at St James's Park. It's easy to see how full your glass is !

My point is that these outrageous performances are continuing unabated under Wenger. They are not new.
    We still allow them to happen by not preparing the team properly and making excuses about it.
    We are becoming a laughing stock.

No Koscielny in the French squad just announced. Rumoured to be out for 4 weeks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

No Koscielny in the French squad just announced. Rumoured to be out for 4 weeks !

Who announced that? Because if the club said 4 weeks then I fear the worst :(

We'll either get a result or be "hard done by" this weekend. Enough to keep the showing bumbling along.

We'll either get a result or be "hard done by" this weekend. Enough to keep the showing bumbling along.

My only hope is that we finish the match with 11 on the pitch. Have I set my sights too high?

wonga77 wrote: »
    Who announced that? Because if the club said 4 weeks then I fear the worst :(

not from the club yet - still just a rumour

Alexis is playing well now (brilliantly even) but had a very slow start to the season and it's fair to say he was being carried by the rest of the team. It's a team game and hopefully he realises that ! Hopefully the team will come together on Sunday and give United a good doing over !

I wouldn't begrudge him a slow start considering he played an international tournament and had no pre-season. The rest didnt do a great job carrying him either, only 5 goals scored before Leicester.

Ox, Santi, Giroud and Ramsey need to up it a few notches now and get up to his level, both goals wise and sheer guts to scrap for everything.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, at what stage would you say enough is enough?
    Would you be happy for Wenger to continue the trend for another 3 or 4 years with no title, poor showing in Europe but an fa cup or league cup medal thrown in every now and then?
    Its nothing against you in particular, I just wonder what it would take for some people to tip them over the edge.

For me, its not about the oil money or competing with that really. What pisses me off is our weak mentality, poor structure on the field. Inability to defend set pieces, inability to take a proper corner kick. The clubs loyalty to players like Diaby, Rosicky (much and all as I like them) when its clear they are a drain on funds (Yeah I know Diaby is gone before someone feels the need to point it out) , having the 4th highest wage bill in the pl and having to settle for players like Sanogo.
    The fact that despite all this, we are so very close to competing for the premier league and just wont take that extra step forward is what annoys me most

I'm not saying it's perfect, and believe me I hate those stupid 4 all draws etc. But when you look at the whole thing - the many, many wins in between, the many good players that we have and the context of the financial doping (just cos it's tiresome to hear it over and over, it doesn't make it any less true) - I think things are actually pretty good at the moment.

As for when enough is enough, I personally am 100% behind the manager. Not 99%. 100%.

Now, I can totally understand why people are frustrated and angry. And I'm not for a second saying the management is without it's flaws - I struggle with not signing anyone at all, that didn't make any sense to me - but I think we're better now than we have been for a while, despite the terrible CL results.

All in all, I think we could be in with a great shout of the league this year, and it kills me that so many supporters can't just get behind the team.

Oh no that terrible news.

International week! :D

• Advertisement

I would prefer to play United at their place, sit in and then counter. As it is, they have pace on the wing and up front and will look to counter us. I just hope we arent caught with our pants done like on Tuesday with gaping holes all over the place.

Is Coquelin 100% fit?

I'm not saying it's perfect, and believe me I hate those stupid 4 all draws etc. But when you look at the whole thing - the many, many wins in between, the many good players that we have and the context of the financial doping (just cos it's tiresome to hear it over and over, it doesn't make it any less true) - I think things are actually pretty good at the moment.

As for when enough is enough, I personally am 100% behind the manager. Not 99%. 100%.

Now, I can totally understand why people are frustrated and angry. And I'm not for a second saying the management isn't without it's flaws - I struggle with not signing anyone at all, that didn't make any sense to me - but I think we're better now than we have been for a while, despite the terrible CL results.

All in all, I think we could be in with a great shout of the league this year, and it kills me that so many supporters can't just get behind the team.

I felt like you a few years ago. Imagine that.
    Things just went on the same way though. Trundling along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

L'prof wrote: »
    I think we're OK for now but if the Italian and German teams perform as well again this season and the English teams as poorly then we'll probably be down to 3 next year

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/118666/362548.png

Thought I'd update on this for the craic

364347.png

Spain +1.286
    W4 D1 L4

Germany +1.429
    W5 L4

England +1.125
    W4 L3

Dinamo Zagreb 2-1 Arsenal
    Chelsea 4-0 Maccabi Tel Aviv
    Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 Qarabağ

Arsenal 2-3 Olympiakos Piraeus
    Porto 2-1 Chelsea

Manchester United 2-1 Wolfsburg
    Borussia M'gla… 1-2 Manchester City

Italy +1
    W2 D2 L2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

L'prof wrote: »
    Thought I'd update on this for the craic

364347.png

Spain +1.286
    W4 D1 L4

Germany +1.429
    W5 L4

England +1.125
    W4 L3

Dinamo Zagreb 2-1 Arsenal
    Chelsea 4-0 Maccabi Tel Aviv
    Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 Qarabağ

Arsenal 2-3 Olympiakos Piraeus
    Porto 2-1 Chelsea

Manchester United 2-1 Wolfsburg
    Borussia M'gla… 1-2 Manchester City

Italy +1
    W2 D2 L2
    so only top 3 have 4 spots in the CL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Gibbs is worse than useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

so only top 3 have 4 spots in the CL?

Yes, Italy closing in on England

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPJ0vX-AA9w&feature=youtu.be

Doesn't heal my pain :pac: But good to see the club healing others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its all well and good wanting more but our wanting doesn't change anything so I'd rather enjoy the FA cup victories than moan about it not being enough.

AdamD wrote: »
    Its all well and good wanting more but our wanting doesn't change anything so I'd rather enjoy the FA cup victories than moan about it not being enough.

Wenger's the same. Happy to settle for that wee bit less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Wenger in/out

Who is a proper fan and who is not

Who wants too much and who settles for what we have

It can all go to one side now

We have Utd this weekend lets get talking about that

A win will do us wonders, I would be tempted to start Ramsey in the middle
    Walcott on the right and go with giroud through the centre

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement