Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

A pretty animated Wenger in the presser this morning. Threatening to walk out after a question relating to his accountability over team selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

keano_afc wrote: »
    A pretty animated Wenger in the presser this morning. Threatening to walk out after a question relating to his accountability over team selection.

He doesnt like being questioned, in fairness I didnt see the presser but it seems the question asked by the journalist is only what most fans would like to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

wawaman wrote: »
    David Ospina is on the 59 man shortlist for the Ballon D'Or !!! I s*it you not. Alexis is on the list aswell

is that a wind up lol

Soups123 wrote: »
    He doesnt like being questioned, in fairness I didnt see the presser but it seems the question asked by the journalist is only what most fans would like to ask

He was beginning to squirm and then the journo said "is it not right then for Jose Mourinho to say that you are the only manager not under threat", and that was the kicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Question: Who will be in goal against Manchester United?

Question: It is interesting to see who will be in goal…?

Some **** was actually being paid to ask that. Clearly looking to wind him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

AdamD wrote: »

Wenger should be well able to deal with any question the media throw at him at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wenger should be well able to deal with any question the media throw at him at this stage.

I think he did - barked at them and they toed into line. Shows he's pretty angry too

greendom wrote: »
    I think he did - barked at them and they toed into line. Shows he's pretty angry too

Threatening to walk out after being asked a question Isn't really dealing with the media tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Threatening to walk out after being asked a question Isn't really dealing with the media tho

it worked for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Of course it is. He's trying to run a bleedin football team and prepare for a big game this weekend.

Why he should entertain a bunch of twats looking for a reaction by quoting an even bigger twat talking bollocks is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Drop Santi for me. Hes a media darling who seems exempt from criticism.

From an external view watching Arsenal I'd agree with the above.

As a United fan come Sunday. If I see Walcott up front, Ramsey shoehorned on the right, Coq and Santi as the deep two, I'll be confident of a win.

If I see Santi dropped with Ramsey in beside Coq, Walcott right, Sanchez left and Ozil at 10 behind Giroud, I'll be concerned for our well being over 90 minutes.

If Wenger doesn't give that right flank some real purpose and threat, Schneiderlan will just double up with the RB on Sanchez and pretty much strangle the only in form player you have at present.

AdamD wrote: »

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Of course it is. He's trying to run a bleedin football team and prepare for a big game this weekend.

Why he should entertain a bunch of twats looking for a reaction by quoting an even bigger twat talking bollocks is beyond me.

The Arsene defenders will always defend!!!

TBH the presser was all a bit meh, part of me is glad he is looking pissed, hopefully reports of him losing the rag with the team mid week are true

the other part of me feels, he is being asked what many fans are asking and feels he doesnt have to answer to that, which is wrong.

that said a win on Sunday shuts many up for another week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

In fairness to wegner the media are likes kids, he answered the question at least twice and then they kept asking it in slightly different ways. I dont know how managers keep their cool in situations like that. Its insulting that they feel they can trick you into an answer with a slightly different question.

United have more legs in midfield that we have in a long time depending who plays but if that opinion is based on Bastian being passed it then I'd have to disagree.

It could be a very open game as we are a bit short in defence at the moment and if valencia starts for us I'd be worried.

Will it be Gabriel and Mert starting for you guys?

In fairness to wegner the media are likes kids, he answered the question at least twice and then they kept asking it in slightly different ways. I dont know how managers keep their cool in situations like that. Its insulting that they feel they can trick you into an answer with a slightly different question.

United have more legs in midfield that we have in a long time depending who plays but if that opinion is based on Bastian being passed it then I'd have to disagree.

It could be a very open game as we are a bit short in defence at the moment and if valencia starts for us I'd be worried.

Will it be Gabriel and Mert starting for you guys?

Both Kos is out

Man for man I still rate our players over united. They just seem to be a lot closer to clicking as a team than we are at the moment.

No doubt Arsene will go for his same predictable line-up which looked great late last year, but have underperformed so far this year. It's the safe option, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The Arsene defenders will always defend!!!

You got that right!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

I'd love to see us go out and play champayne stuff and wax united 3 - 0, but realistically given where we are at currently, I'd like to go for a draw. If Alexis or Walcott can magic us a goal out of nothing then great but I don't want to see us pulled all over the place, conceeding off our own corner or something braindead like that.

Any chance of seeing Wally out right, the Ox looks a bit lost at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Walcott/Ox are nowhere near good enough to start wide right. Ramsey plays there if fit. Guaranteed.

Kronks has no need to fire Arsene as he's only interested in maintaining the clubs cash balance so there is nobody at the club to fire him.

Nothing is going to change at the Arsenal.

Utd will turn us over on Sunday but we'll get a run going against the sh*t teams which will quiten down the Wenger Out brigade enough for their call for his sacking to seem like a knee jerk reaction.

It's all very boring really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Walcott/Ox are nowhere near good enough to start wide right. Ramsey plays there if fit. Guaranteed.

Walcott has played there for years, why would he be nowhere near good enough? He scored 14 goals from there only a few years ago. His defensive game has improved since then too.

Arghus wrote: »
    If I look at it with my best set of emotionally sober eyes, then I think Arsene still deserves some credit, some credit past where he is right now: probable early and embarrassing elimination from Europe. I think he’s probably got, at the very best, another two to three seasons in charge and I think he should be left to see them out. If you look at where Arsenal were when he took charge, to where they are now, I would say that he’s presided over the evolution of the club into that of a European Super-club. His legacy will be remembered positively, of that I’m certain. Calling for his head one third of the way through a season, as a vocal minority are doing, might feel cathartic and perhaps justified, but I don’t know if immediate success would automatically follow if those dreams were to turn into reality. It could actually be the start of a nightmarish Moysian period of uncertainty. And Arsenal, despite how they find new ways to embarrass themselves, are still chugging away, we haven’t reached a stage of abject rank crapness that suggests complete, immediate regime change is what’s required.
    The usual complete mischaracterisation of most of the "Wenger-Out" crowd. I've been consistent for a number of years now, it isn't some reaction to one bad result. Bother reading the thread and you'll see that quite a few people have had doubts which are crystalising as the bull**** from the club continues.
    Having said all that, I do understand where the Wenger Out brigade are coming from. I may not agree with some of their anger and I wouldn’t be as naive about the post-Wenger future,
    You see where they're coming from but you're not so naive. Always nice to be smarter than everyone else.
    but do see fundamentally that their case is pretty sound: Arsenal will not progress beyond their current level until Wenger is gone. I agree that this is the case. They might progress a little; they might finish second or third in the league or get as far as the quarters in Europe. But if you actually want to win the league, or really challenge in Europe, I think then forget it until Arsene’s time is done. He can’t do it at that level any more. The team has enough quality in it to get away with it 80% of the time in the league, which allows them to achieve a certain level of success. Unfortunately there are others who can do it 90% of the time. Europe just shows him up to be a completely second-rate tactician, with increasingly alarming results.
    Having had the 2nd then 3rd then 4th highest wage bill in the league we've slipped down the table more or less in line with that. 3-5 years ago was when we started slipping, by the time Wenger finally ****s off we'll be solidly 4th financially and in most other ways. Other clubs have been moving on, we've increased revenue just to stand still and inflate our wage bill for no benefit, it's pathetic.
    Like you even admit he's a second-rate tactician (generous, IMO) and yet are happy to leave him letting the club go on rudderless. We're Arsenal, we're not Stoke or West Brom.
    So I guess it comes down to what you want from your Arsenal really. I hope I’m wrong about Arsene by the way - I hope Arsenal win the title by ten points. I would be absolutely delighted in that case to be utterly in the wrong. I don’t think I will be though. It isn’t a likely reality, what’s more likely is complications. I love Wenger and I’d rather stick with him for an appropriate while, and then feel a sense of gratitude and relief when he goes. I think we should stick with our current stagnation: stagnation of a pretty rarefied level. I don’t know if immediate rupture is going to help.It could be disastrous. I don’t think were going to get diaster under Wenger. But I do look forward to after his time, when we might look forward to triumph again.
    The longer he stays the less chance there is of the next manager being able to make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The longer he stays the less chance there is of the next manager being able to make a difference.

Don't agree with this in the slightest!

L'prof wrote: »
    Don't agree with this in the slightest!

Any particular reason?

A few years ago we had the 5th highest revenue in the world, we're now down to 8th. We've gotten worse in Europe with 5 years in a row going out in the last 16 (which we'll do well to match this year don't forget). We constantly hear about Wenger finally being able to build the team he wants. Well it hasn't worked out. His philosophy runs through the club from top to bottom and the longer he stays the more people it will infect.

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Walcott has played there for years, why would he be nowhere near good enough? He scored 14 goals from there only a few years ago. His defensive game has improved since then too.

I imagine he is referring to the defensive element of the role on the right. we have been found out many times there when Walcott and Ox have played.

TheDoc wrote: »
    From an external view watching Arsenal I'd agree with the above.

As a United fan come Sunday. If I see Walcott up front, Ramsey shoehorned on the right, Coq and Santi as the deep two, I'll be confident of a win.

If I see Santi dropped with Ramsey in beside Coq, Walcott right, Sanchez left and Ozil at 10 behind Giroud, I'll be concerned for our well being over 90 minutes.

If Wenger doesn't give that right flank some real purpose and threat, Schneiderlan will just double up with the RB on Sanchez and pretty much strangle the only in form player you have at present.

But that scenario requires Wenger studying the opposition and setting his team up accordingly. He's pretty awful at that.

MaxPower89 wrote: »

We are stronger while not playing Theo on the right hand side. He offers nothing other than catching teams on the counter which makes him ideal for coming on as a sub. His play is way to erratic to be relied upon.

If his defensive play really improved to s standard thats good enough then you would have a very valid point about starting him but as he is we are too unbalanced with him out wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The usual complete mischaracterisation of most of the "Wenger-Out" crowd. I've been consistent for a number of years now, it isn't some reaction to one bad result. Bother reading the thread and you'll see that quite a few people have had doubts which are crystalising as the bull**** from the club

I don't think I've misrepresented your views, to be fair. You wan't him out, right now. That's it isn't it?

I know it's not a brand new idea. It's been the key issue in everything Arsenal related for years now. Yes, I know you aren't saying this just because of the weeks events.
    You see where they're coming from but you're not so naive. Always nice to be smarter than everyone else.

I suppose it would be nice to smarter than everyone else. I wouldn't know. I just think I'm less idealiatic about potential outcomes in the wake of immediate Wengers head on a platter.

What's it like to be more self righteous than everyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Looming back on the last several seasons it seems we don't gel and play consistent football until the second half of the season?
    Anyone have any theories on why we always start so inconsistent then finish as the best team in the league?

Looming back on the last several seasons it seems we don't gel and play consistent football until the second half of the season?
    Anyone have any theories on why we always start so inconsistent then finish as the best team in the league?

We were leading the league and then fell away a few seasons ago.

The problem is just putting a full season together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's a hard question.
    Some say that we don't act well under pressure. When the pressure is off and the league is beyond winning we then play better. We certainly have a poor record against the teams at the top but let's hope that changes on Sunday. It seems to be improving but we'll know soon enough.

Some say that our players come back tired after being involved in International tournaments during the summer i.e. African Nations, World Cup etc. But so have other teams' players.

Some say our training regime is designed to set the team up for a long season, so we start slow and finish well. Some also say that the type of player we have and our training methods don't suit or gel and lead to injuries. I have tried to find evidence of this but failed.

It's really hard to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

It's a hard question.
    Some say that we don't act well under pressure. When the pressure is off and the league is beyond winning we then play better. We certainly have a poor record against the teams at the top but let's hope that changes on Sunday. It seems to be improving but we'll know soon enough.

Some say that our players come back tired after being involved in International tournaments during the summer i.e. African Nations, World Cup etc. But so have other teams' players.

Some say our training regime is designed to set the team up for a long season, so we start slow and finish well. Some also say that the type of player we have and our training methods don't suit or gel and lead to injuries. I have tried to find evidence of this but failed.

It's really hard to say.

I really think it's pressure anytime pressure is on we crumble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Really confident of a win the weekend

My bet will be 2-1

I really think it's pressure anytime pressure is on we crumble

I tend to agree.
    We need to bring in a feckin hypnotist.

I tend to agree.

and a tactician, and a leader on the pitch.

I tend to agree.

Does anyone know specifically what is done with the team as far as psychology goes?

Being a kiwi, I've always been interested in the All Blacks winning mentality, and performing under pressure. They have a psychologist that works with them, and different players have different things they do during a match to being them back into focus.

Football is obviously a different sport, but arsenal players always seem to have the potential to lose the plot.

My bet will be 2-1

I'm loving your positivity big dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm actually fairly confident of a win too.

3-1 :)

My bet will be 2-1
    cson wrote: »
    I'm actually fairly confident of a win too.

3-1 :)

If only the manager and players shared your confidence :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

70-0

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Whatever happens on Sunday we have to support and get behind the team because that's what real fans are supposed to do.........

• Advertisement

itsjaybud wrote: »
    Whatever happens on Sunday we have to support and get behind the team because that's what real fans are supposed to do.........

Holy ****in jaysus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Sorry if I don't feel sorry for a group of underperforming 20 something year old millionares.

Holy ****in jaysus
    Sorry if I don't feel sorry for a group of underperforming 20 something year old millionares.

Hahaha lads, he's messing, sarcasm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Unless the players have shares in boards.ie I reckon most of us here have no fear of having any impact on the players regardless of what we tippy tappy type here :)

Do you actually think that people who have followed our club for many years are not "real" fans because they complain about the performances of the team and manager? Really !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Do you actually think that people who have followed our club for many years are not "real" fans because they complain about the performances of the team and manager? Really !!

Sarcasm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Sacksian wrote: »
    70-0

Insert "Typical Arsenal, a 69'r isn't good enough for ya!" joke here.
    Then leaves thread.
    /

70-0

Then leaves thread.
    /

70-0

Then leaves thread.
    /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That joke was funniest the third time you said it. :D

Oops....on the phone see..!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement