Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The only downside to the result is that it doesn't push Chelsea further down the table :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Hyzepher wrote: »
    The only downside to the result is that it doesn't push Chelsea further down the table :)

8 points between the 2 teams after 8 matches. Keep that rate up and it'll be 38 come the end of the season !

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Yesterday was brilliant.

Crowd always loud for a 4.00pm kickoff after a few early pints but that was the loudest I’ve heard it all season. I reckon there was about 1-2,000 empty seats still.
    Prior to the match most fans very nervous but no-one could predict what would happen.
    No boos or calls for Wenger out.
    The obligatory “can we play you every week” followed by “ are you Chelsea in disguise”.
    Ozil was unreal. He really plays beautifully.
    Theo turned into Sanchez with his tackling back.
    There definitely was a fight in that team yesterday.
    Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Two things that I seen yesterday, that has made be doubt slightly my belief that Wenger can't turn the team (and himself mostly) into genuine title contenders.

1. The team fought hard from the first till the last minute. I'd like to think this is because Wenger tore them a new one during the week and he has stopped molly cuddling them. There was an almost fearlessness about them, that I'm hoping came from Wenger. If it did then I'm really hoping it's something he can keep doing.

2. For the first time, in a very very long time, I seen Wenger issuing tactical instructions from the sideline, during the game. He called Ramsey over and told him about a shift in formation to suit the current personnel. I can't remember the last time I seen Wenger doing that. It's something I'd like to see more of, because I've been very vocal on here that I feel Wenger isn't influential enough during games.

I'm not saying Wenger In or anything close to it, but I'd like to think Wenger is turning a corner. One swallow does not a summer make so I'll reserve my judgement till later, but it's encouraging if nothing else.

The difference of having 2 pacy players for Ozil to play to and Cazorla behind was plain for all to see. Complete waste having Ozil trying to play it forward when it's Giroud on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd take two things from yesterday;

(a) We're seen to best effect as a counter attacking team with the current personal. There's pace and a succinct dangerousness to our play that I haven't really seen since the Henry/Pires era. Our ****e performances this year have come exclusively where we've been hugely dominant in possession (West Ham, Olympiacos) or have had a man sent off early and had to play a half or more with 10 men (Chelsea & Zagreb). This iteration, if they can stay fit and more disciplined, could go close to the title imo. They'll need an addition a lá Reyes in January 2004 to give a boost at that time I feel though. That Reyes signing made a huge difference to the Invincibles.

(b) Rodgers sacking just emphasised to me that Wenger will only be fully appreciated when he's gone. I'm of the school that at this point in time he doesn't have excuses given our ability financially but to get us to this point has been an incredible job. Liverpool weren't that far from us in their Benitez era; they're absolutely miles away now in every respect - especially so when you look at the phenomenal amounts of money they've spent. We've wasted **** all money in comparison. I hope he wins the League this season and bows out (Ancelotti please). Whatever happens he'll have left the club in super shape for whoever is next in charge - new stadium, well heeled financially, a relatively young talented squad and a youth operation that looks like its beginning to produce after its overhaul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Haven't been able to post Boards Is acting the fecking maggot again, delighted with the result yesterday, only got the last half hour so will have to catch up today, saw the goals. We all know/knew the team Is capable of performances like that, they just need to be consistent at It.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Such a shame Ramsey didnt connect properly and get the 4th, a goal would do him the world of good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

wonga77 wrote: »
    Such a shame Ramsey didnt connect properly and get the 4th, a goal would do him the world of good

Same for Giroud near the end. Shame Ox's effort hit the bar, too!

Jesus, we were good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Missed the game yesterday but boy am I looking forward to sitting down later and watching the whole thing on the player :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If Arsenal can come out against Bayern like in that first 20 minutes it could be an amazing game. I feel a better team than United would have done better with as much ball as they had for the rest of the game and if Martial scores at the half like he should have done it could all have gone differently. It's not like Arsenal weren't threatening at that point too though I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Mertesackers distribution from the back yesterday was something else. Chambers could do with learning a thing or two off him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sanchez picked up a slight groin injury yesterday. Now he's heading off for the Internationals with Chile. Hope they don't crock him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Have to say this, I have re-read a lot of this thread this evening, and it was very refreshing to read the input of the United fans to this thread, and I would like to tip my hat to them, they were absolutely magnanimous. Fair play. Still buzzing after that win. More of the same please the Gooners!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

United fans have never irritated me anyway.

The players on the other hand.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

Anyone got links to decent highlights of the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The difference of having 2 pacy players for Ozil to play to and Cazorla behind was plain for all to see. Complete waste having Ozil trying to play it forward when it's Giroud on.

A huge factor is Alexis too. He's our world class, create something from nothin guy. If he was on form for the first few weeks, we'd be top.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Anyone got links to decent highlights of the game?

It's on Arsenal player, both highlights and the full match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

emmetlego wrote: »
    Have to say this, I have re-read a lot of this thread this evening, and it was very refreshing to read the input of the United fans to this thread, and I would like to tip my hat to them, they were absolutely magnanimous. Fair play. Still buzzing after that win. More of the same please the Gooners!

Massive difference between the United fans on here and some other teams supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

It's on Arsenal player, both highlights and the full match.

Having issues with it wont let me sign up

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    Having issues with it wont let me sign up

Maybe try footytube? Haven't been on it in a while but used to be fairly decent for highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Sky reporting Benzema looking for a move .....

Strange time off the season for things like this to be popping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Massive difference between the United fans on here and some other teams supporters.

I know what you mean man.

Them Norwich city faithful fcukers do my head in too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Sure Benitez will probably be sacked by the time the next transfer window opens anyway so Benzema wont be going anywhere

gosplan wrote: »
    A huge factor is Alexis too. He's our world class, create something from nothin guy. If he was on form for the first few weeks, we'd be top.

He can't do it all on his own though. Giroud seems easier to defend against and let's a defence press better.

gosplan wrote: »

The copa America took alot out of him and the 'good' news is there is another feckin centenary one coming up for 2016.

Only Sanchez would have retained the ball and scored it for that third goal. the tenacity of a jack russell coupled with magical feet.

Ive a feeling this guy is a lad who like Bergkamp and Henry feels real affection for the fans and years to come when he retires he will return a club legend. Given modern football its a bold prediction to make but i think this guy will be considered very fondly by the club in future years. He is super!

I don't buy into this 'Copa America took a lot out of Alexis' thing.

The biggest influence is when players have an enforced break and lose form. Also, if they're not involved with the team's pre-season and training sessions, it takes things a while to come back together. I really don't think fatigue is the case for Alexis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Can we send Giroud to Madrid in January as a swap for benzema��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Basil3 wrote: »

The biggest influence is when players have an enforced break and lose form. Also, if they're not involved with the team's pre-season and training sessions, it takes things a while to come back together. I really don't think fatigue is the case for Alexis.

Believe what you want, its fact.

It's a combination of both really ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

efb wrote: »
    Believe what you want, its fact.
    How can it be fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Benzema will hardly come to play second fiddle to Walcott :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Completely disagree with this.

Players need a solid break every season. Sanchez played in the 2014 World Cup, came back and then played non-stop until the following July.

And had a one month break and started playing for Arsenal a couple of days after returning to first-team training. His pre-season was the first 3-4 weeks of the season; what ever about being tired on top of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Quazzie wrote: »
    How can it be fact?

Players suffering from playing competitively over the close season???

The human body has limits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Does anyone agree with me that the position of DM is still the one we have to fill? I mean a good replacement for Coquelin if he's injured, suspended or just needs a break. I think Arteta and Flamini will go next summer so it would be sensible to have someone here in January and ready for next season.

Does anyone agree with me that the position of DM is still the one we have to fill? I mean a good replacement for Coquelin if he's injured, suspended or just needs a break. I think Arteta and Flamini will go next summer so it would be sensible to have someone here in January and ready for next season.

Wanyama would do the job I think - I like the look of him, wouldn't cos tthe earth and would rotate pretty well

I imagine next Summer will demand the club signs a lot of first-team players.

You can't expect second string players with huge qualities to stay for so long. For example:

- I highly doubt both Debuchy and Gibbs will stay at the club if things remain the same. One of them will certainly leave, probably Debuchy.
    - Another centre back should be on the cards with Mertescielny both being 31 next season.
    - Rosicky, Flamini and Arteta are all likely to leave. 2 of them will most certainly be gone.

So there will be a lack of depth that will have to be filled, at least. Whether that will constitute in a big signing or not, I don't know.

Think Debuchy wants out as well. I don't blame him tbh but it means we need an understudy to Bellerin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Completely disagree with this.

Players need a solid break every season. Sanchez played in the 2014 World Cup, came back and then played non-stop until the following July.

And had a one month break and started playing for Arsenal a couple of days after returning to first-team training. His pre-season was the first 3-4 weeks of the season; what ever about being tired on top of that.

Yep you see it all the time, especially with the teams who tend to do well in the competitions. It was the same with Santi a couple of seasons back, after playing in Euros, Confederations Cup & World Cups in successive off seasons.

Was also the reason Cesc was continually picking up injuries with us towards the end of his time here.

greendom wrote: »
    Think Debuchy wants out as well. I don't blame him tbh but it means we need an understudy to Bellerin.

An understudy? He's 20, we'd need a solid experienced RB who could play Cl etc when needed. Although let's not forget about Jenko.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

An understudy? He's 20, we'd need a solid experienced RB who could play Cl etc when needed. Although let's not forget about Jenko.

I'd just bring Jenkinson back. He's a gooner through and true!

12067354_10208081416973112_554198167_n.jpg?oh=92e6bee15ed21589246aab31001e173b&oe=56160BBC

Coquelin celebrating on his own <3

Was Coquelin the only Arsenal player who played on Sunday who also played in the 8-2 defeat? Maybe Walcott as well? Must have been sweet for them

Bellerin is our no 1 at the moment, playing brilliantly too. We need someone that can come in as his back-up something Debuchy and other players of his experience would not be prepared to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Wanyama would do the job I think - I like the look of him, wouldn't cos tthe earth and would rotate pretty well

He'd cost a fortune. Just look at what Liverpool paid for some of there Southampton players.

He's good.. Just not £20M good. There are better options in Europe going cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Whats Bob Pires role at the club? I see Coquelin mentioning him as someone who has offered him advice, and you tend to see him in training ground pics etc.

greendom wrote: »
    Bellerin is our no 1 at the moment, playing brilliantly too. We need someone that can come in as his back-up something Debuchy and other players of his experience would not be prepared to do.

No doubt he's playing brilliantly, but guys like Debuchy would gladly play FA/CL games all season at a club like Arsenal making good money, they do It all the time. I won't be pissed If next year It's Bellerin,Jenko,Chambers but to help Bellerin grow It might be nice to have a Maicon/Zabaleta type of guy around.

No doubt he's playing brilliantly, but guys like Debuchy would gladly play FA/CL games all season at a club like Arsenal making good money, they do It all the time. I won't be pissed If next year It's Bellerin,Jenko,Chambers but to help Bellerin grow It might be nice to have a Maicon/Zabaleta type of guy around.

Debuchy is very worried about not being picked for France for next years Euros. That's going to be the same for a lot of quality full backs. An much older player might work though

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement