Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Serious win that

This team is starting to move now, cech with a brilliant save at the end. Last year we draw games like that

Got murdered in here not so long ago for saying we have a very good chance for winning the league, I really think we will come
    Close

Come March if we're still in it and playing brilliant then I get on board but we do have a habit of blowing it, so I can't get carried away just yet. But we do have a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Serious win that

This team is starting to move now, cech with a brilliant save at the end. Last year we draw games like that

Got murdered in here not so long ago for saying we have a very good chance for winning the league, I really think we will come
    Close

We will and I felt same from outset too. Man City only team that may may finish ahead of us I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

This has been a fcuking great week! In bed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

efb wrote: »
    This has been a fcuking great week! In bed now.

sure has! Nice to get them.

Shout out to Giroud also...exceptional today. He really responds to a competitor for his spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I know I'm in the vast minority, but I love to see Giroud's name appear on the team sheet. He gets every ball in the air when Cech kicks it out relieving pressure from our defence and go forward. I was anxiously waiting for him to go on for the Utd and Bayern match as we kept getting hemmed back into our defence as well. His desire is outstanding as well. One of my favourite players for Arsenal.

Oil did brilliantly again today! We are top of the league!!! COYG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

I know I'm in the vast minority, but I love to see Giroud's name appear on the team sheet. He gets every ball in the air when Cech kicks it out relieving pressure from our defence and go forward. I was anxiously waiting for him to go on for the Utd and Bayern match as we kept getting hemmed back into our defence as well. His desire is outstanding as well. One of my favourite players for Arsenal.

Oil did brilliantly again today! We are top of the league!!! COYG

He has been good at this lately, but I felt he was a bit meek in this area up to a few weeks ago. Still fair dues to him, another great game today, seems to have refound his mojo.

I think Caz is playing some of his best football since he has been at the club, so important for us.

Ozil sublime once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

blueser wrote: »
    Those seats at the Emirates seem to be fading badly (at least the ones pitchside). They seem to be more pink than red now. Are the club going to replace them?

They are for Efb and the Gay Gooners.

Ozil was brilliant again today.
    Delighted with that win although we did allow them far too many chances.

They are for Efb and the Gay Gooners.

Ours are round the back! :-P

Delighted that Ollie has silenced his critics- every striker goes through ups and downs but OG12 seems to get it in the neck more that most!!!

They hate us cos then ain't us!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think that was a really big game for us.

Great to finish this week well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Delighted that Ollie has silenced his critics- every striker goes through ups and downs but OG12 seems to get it in the neck more that most!!!

They hate us cos then ain't us!

Why would anyone hate Arsenal, they play decent football and their manager is a nice guy that doesn't upset anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why would anyone hate Arsenal, they play decent football and their manager is a nice guy that doesn't upset anyone.

Hmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    He has been good at this lately, but I felt he was a bit meek in this area up to a few weeks ago. Still fair dues to him, another great game today, seems to have refound his mojo.

I think Caz is playing some of his best football since he has been at the club, so important for us.

Ozil sublime once again.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention Cazorla! The ball was glued to his feet every time he got it. I counted two times he gave possession away. Incredible performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

niallo27 wrote: »

Ask the Turdmeister over in your thread :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Brilliant result and some nice momentum building let's hope it keeps up with Chelsea imploding we do have a Chance as much as City can be a force they are prone to bouts of dropping points.

Right wing is a worry if we're relying on Ox to deliver week in week out.

I honest to god thought when he arrived initially by now he would be a world beater but he has yet to deliver.

When he's good he's good but those days are rare he has more bad than good days. It's frustrating because we all know how good he can be.

At one stage he was labelled Walcott with brains and skill I still hope he can make people believe that again. He seems lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Well that is how not to close out a game. So typically arsenal, flamini comes on and plays like he is going for the bloody golden boot. Made my blood boil, were it not for Gabriel's challenge at the end we would have been singing a different tune tonight.

An impressive performance until it all went a bit crazy at the end. If we don't win it this year, with city's injuries and Chelsea's implosion we never will. COYG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Is there any argument to be made that there is a better result than a draw tomorrow?

I think a loss could knock some stuffing out of United. Plus I hate United.
    Or a loss for City could suit us longer term as they are probably the strongest of three three teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Gabriel seems so passionate about the club, after not even being here a year. A great player, hope he sticks around for the long haul. Still only 24 too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Gabriel seems so passionate about the club, after not even being here a year. A great player, hope he sticks around for the long haul. Still only 24 too!

Bargain too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nice win, those last 5 mins... my nerves. It's not like us to close up, bring on a defender for an offensive player and try and run down the clock by running into the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

jester77 wrote: »
    Nice win, those last 5 mins... my nerves. It's not like us to close up, bring on a defender for an offensive player and try and run down the clock by running into the corner.

You talking about Gibbs?

He operates fairly offensively on the left wing I think but with half an eye tracking back.

Christ Ozil is a footballing machine.

Ox cost us a goal today by being greedy in trying to score himself when there was a player, Bellerin, overlapping on the right and in a better position.
    Anyone know what the story is with Gnabry?
    As Ramsey is out for a month at least this position of RMF might cost us if not fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Anyone know what the story is with Gnabry?
    Out on loan at WBA I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

The one thing that is very apparent with Ox is that his confidence is shot. And each mistake or whenever he lost the ball his head was down each time. Even getting substituted he looked disappointed with himself. He knows he can do better and hopefully with a run of games he can find his confidence again. People in the club no doubt notice that this is the problem aswell and they need to find someway to find the Ox we all know about for example when he first burst onto the scene. He was fearless and looked a special talent back then so we know it's there. I'm a firm believer in sports psychology and maybe this is the way forward with Ox because something needs to be done now as this form he is showing has gone on too long.

As for Giroud, he was immense yesterday and it just shows what healthy competition for places does for the team. His pressing of the opposition defense and midfield was top notch and this shows he is VERY hungry to get that starting spot back again. It was great to see that he gave that extra bit to the team today. It should always be there but when a player becomes the clear first choice he naturally becomes comfortable with the fact he will be starting all games and unconsciously doesn't give that extra 5 percent which he showed today. Very impressive stuff.

Flamini was also very good when he came on and becoming a very good option to bring on to close games as he seemed to pop up all over the pitch for that brief time. In my opinion he could be a better option than Arteta to bring on to shut the game down as he will get more yards in around the pitch closing players down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Good game today, though always funny the games we look so tidy (united) compared to the lesser games where we come under a bit of pressure like today.

I thought we played some great football today though got unlucky with some chances. The Everton defence were their best players by a long shot, Stones played really well and they did a good job keeping our attackers quiet other than our crosses, but that's where someone like Giroud is such a great option.

I echo the sentiments about Ox. I had amazing hopes for him but his confidence has dropped so much. I feel we may see a few Campbell appearances before Ramsey's back, maybe even another junior (Who else is coming up the ranks for the Winger position other than Gnabry?). Though that will probably kill Ox's confidence further with this his key moment to show his colours.

Who else would like to see a Debuchy/Bellerin right wing game before the seasons out?! Maybe I have too much faith in him but Bellerin just looks like he could storm in as a winger these days as well and he used to play there. Good to have options anyway!

Gabriel a perfectly viable alternative to Per or Kosc in my opinion, shame about the flukey goal (Id love to see our goals against stat minus deflections and own goals this year!).

My main concern today though was closing out the game. At 2-1, and bringing on flamini, why are we leaving other players on the pitch? Sanchez should have been off as soon as we decided we were shutting down the game, at least to bringing on fresh legs for the last 15 cant harm the scoreline much. And as someone said earlier, why the fukc was Flamini hugging the box looking for goals?! Get back in your half mate, you've a more important job in the last 10 minutes!

All in all though, with little to no rotation, great 3rd game of the week against a side we know can cause trouble if they like. Good to be a Gooner again today!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

So an awful, troll-worthy, but still interesting question. With this Chelsea lark going on and Jose coming to his inevitable 3rd Season explosion, who in here would fancy him as Arsene's Successor?!

Now, this would obviously be highly hypothetical, as Arsene will probably always now have a say with Arsenal after he's gone and it would happen over his dead body, let alone it being a manager swap of major rivals and all the other reasons it definitely won't happen.

But I am interested to hear whether some of the fans, the ones who have always wished for the more ruthless, win-at-all-costs manager than Wenger would want Mourinho to come in, use our massive budget to acquire players who suit his style, and possibly park the Arsenal bus in the medal winners lot.

We have had tonnes of fans in here who have said they would be happy to have Bitey Suarez lead the line regardless of his general humane deficiencies (slightly different argument but anyway), who claimed that Costa was a dirty c**t, but they'd love him to be our dirty c**t, and to play proven, top class players as opposed to trot out youngsters to get them some game time during a PL title chase.

Personally, I have and hopefully always will err on the side of great football, and respectable human beings (to what extent they exist in football anymore). I could tear my hair out to Arsene's Arsenal for another ten years if they can play the game this beautifully and keep pushing to pair passion, attacking skill and youth development to its peak. Its not always the most fun to follow due to our implosions, but I can always defend my team's aspirations and how they tried to achieve them.

That, and I believe for all his success Mourinho is an attention seeking coward who would throw his Mother under the bus if he thought his team's sandwiches were buttered improperly before losing a match.

Ajfunky wrote: »
    So an awful, troll-worthy, but still interesting question. With this Chelsea lark going on and Jose coming to his inevitable 3rd Season explosion, who in here would fancy him as Arsene's Successor?!

Now, this would obviously be highly hypothetical, as Arsene will probably always now have a say with Arsenal after he's gone and it would happen over his dead body, let alone it being a manager swap of major rivals and all the other reasons it definitely won't happen.

But I am interested to hear whether some of the fans, the ones who have always wished for the more ruthless, win-at-all-costs manager than Wenger would want Mourinho to come in, use our massive budget to acquire players who suit his style, and possibly park the Arsenal bus in the medal winners lot.

We have had tonnes of fans in here who have said they would be happy to have Bitey Suarez lead the line regardless of his general humane deficiencies (slightly different argument but anyway), who claimed that Costa was a dirty c**t, but they'd love him to be our dirty c**t, and to play proven, top class players as opposed to trot out youngsters to get them some game time during a PL title chase.

Personally, I have and hopefully always will err on the side of great football, and respectable human beings (to what extent they exist in football anymore). I could tear my hair out to Arsene's Arsenal for another ten years if they can play the game this beautifully and keep pushing to pair passion, attacking skill and youth development to its peak. Its not always the most fun to follow due to our implosions, but I can always defend my team's aspirations and how they tried to achieve them.

That, and I believe for all his success Mourinho is an attention seeking coward who would throw his Mother under the bus if he thought his team's sandwiches were buttered improperly before losing a match.

I'd rather Tim Sherwood tbf... Hell to the No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'd take decades of 4th place spots over Jose at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'd rather Tim Sherwood tbf... Hell to the No!

At least Sherwood is a gooner!

In all honesty I'd be disgusted if mourinho ever managed arsenal. He's a large reason why I loathe Chelsea at the moment. Hes poison.

• Advertisement

Wow.

Ozil Gabrielle getting praise on Sunday supplement.

Even said kos is best defends since Campbell!

Finally a bit of recognition especially for kos who only last week people on boards were saying was arsenals worst defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

So yesterday I brought an old friend of mine to the match. 70 year old scouser. Evertonseason ticket holder for 49 years. I've known him for about 20 years. It was a bit difficult to disguise the fact he was a bluenose with his broad Scouse accent but all the lads who sit round me made him feel welcome with some gentle ribbing.

Started off with a burger and chips upstairs in the 12bar (previously fibber magees/Tommy flynns). He was delighted when I pointed out the arsenal team bus going past the pub in liverpool road. the name of the road made him chuckle. You would only know it's the arsensl team bus because it has the logo on the roof! Blacked out windows etc!

He was amazed by the stadium. He once sat in the directors box at Goodson and reckoned our seats (normal upper tier) were better and more space. He also commented at the end about the great atmosphere. I'm often critical about the atmosphere but it was rocking but then again being top of the league helps! It is good though to get an outsiders view at times to actually appreciate what we have.

As for the game, Ozil is a genius. Gabriel is a monster. Kos was immense! Giroud worked his socks off. Bellerin is the best full back in the league. No need for any negatives today.

We are top of the league, say we are top of the league!

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Wow.

Ozil Gabrielle getting praise on Sunday supplement.

Even said kos is best defends since Campbell!

Finally a bit of recognition especially for kos who only last week people on boards were saying was arsenals worst defender.

Who da fook said that???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Things couldn't be going any differently for Arsene and Jose this season.

Absolutely loving it!

Who da fook said that???

Lads on Sunday supplement. Don't know their names.

Oh kos sorry I seen a few writing it on one of our match threads few weeks ago, can't remember which one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭ronjo

Who da fook said that???

One thing I didn't notice either. Very strange thing to write.

So what do we want today?

I guess a United win increases our chances of winning the title bit it's always funny when they get a kicking.

A 3 all draw with some shambolic defending and a couple of red cards would do me :)

Oh and a Saints away win for the laugh.

ronjo wrote: »
    One thing I didn't notice either. Very strange thing to write.

What's strange? You either believe me or not.

Few people not arsenal fans wrote it on a match thread few weeks ago.

Do we not also hear how fragile arsenals defence is each week from the media aswell?

So what do we want today?

I guess a United win increases our chances of winning the title bit it's always funny when they get a kicking.

A 3 all draw with some shambolic defending and a couple of red cards would do me :)

Oh and a Saints away win for the laugh.
    City win. Better to have one knocked back than two still up there. I think City will always have a bad patch but I'd hate to see United get a run together because we've not seen fully what they and LvG can do under pressure and I'd rather not tbh.

I think it proves the point that was in World Soccer a few years back re Özil, the quieter, introverted players get far less credit than they deserve- cos they are not in your face 24/7 puffing out their chest- it's lazy analysis

• Advertisement

JustTheOne wrote: »
    What's strange? You either believe me or not.

Few people not arsenal fans wrote it on a match thread few weeks ago.

Do we not also hear how fragile arsenals defence is each week from the media aswell?

I mean it's a strange thing to write that Kos is our weakest defender.

I think it proves the point that was in World Soccer a few years back re Özil, the quieter, introverted players get far less credit than they deserve- cos they are not in your face 24/7 puffing out their chest- it's lazy analysis
    It's typical British media tabloidism. The 'beat your chest' die hard hero who throws his head in front of a foot to get the ball will be called brilliant but a tactically better player who runs the game quietly in the background will be called lazy and poor because he didn't run back the length of the pitch to prevent the corner.

When I hear people call Ozil lazy or a poor player it's usually indication that I'm talking to someone who gets their opinion from the Sun or Sky Sports rather than actually watching the games.

Quazzie wrote: »
    It's typical British media tabloidism. The 'beat your chest' die hard hero who throws his head in front of a foot to get the ball will be called brilliant but a tactically better player who runs the game quietly in the background will be called lazy and poor because he didn't run back the length of the pitch to prevent the corner.

When I hear people call Ozil lazy or a poor player it's usually indication that I'm talking to someone who gets their opinion from the Sun or Sky Sports rather than actually watching the games.

And the have Soccer:AM on Series Link...

I mean it's a strange thing to write that Kos is our weakest defender.

Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Quazzie wrote: »

I think its fairly ridiculous. I love Sanchez and all but he was on a one man mission to concede a goal against Bayern yet the commentators somehow managed to single out Ozil as a poor performer. Depressing that they're some of the lucky few who get paid to watch football matches..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Gabriel is some defender. How on earth did he only cost 10 million. Holy jaysus. Love his passion.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Gabriel is some defender. How on earth did he only cost 10 million. Holy jaysus. Love his passion.

He cost(a) us against Chelsea

Passion is great but I prefer solid reliability in my CB- Kos ticks all the boxes

Passion is great but I prefer solid reliability in my CB- Kos ticks all the boxes

We have been missing a few dirty b*stards in our team though. Yes it might cost you the odd time but necessary overall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Reliability comes with experience.
    Experience comes with playing time.

We need to play Gab more often so that the rough edges are ground down. When Kos arrived, he had some disastrous games with us, and only became the stone wall defender he is now because he was given more playing time.

The more I see of Gab, the more I think that he's going to be immense for Arsenal long term. He's not there yet, but neither is he typical "bright, young prospect" that Arsene usually goes for, he's only a season away from being in our first team I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement