Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

emmetlego wrote: »
    Marco Reus?

Arturo Vidal?

Karim Benzema?

Muller?

Last season we got 15/15 from the corresponding fixtures for the first 5 matches. Really can't afford to drop points early if there's any chance of pushing for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

wawaman wrote: »
    i think we can cross Vidal off the list after last night !!

Would Adams have ever played under Arsene in that case ?

If we are serious about getting him, hopefully this transgression won't stop the transfer of a wonderful player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Don't see the point in signing Vidal.
    Yeah he's a great player, but i'd rather see the 35+ million be spent on a striker.

Ramsey is pretty much a slower version of Vidal anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Don't see the point in signing Vidal.
    Yeah he's a great player, but i'd rather see the 35+ million be spent on a striker.

Ramsey is pretty much a slower version of Vidal anyways.

So we'll just settle for the slower one? No reason why we can't get Vidal and a striker.

So we'll just settle for the slower one? No reason why we can't get Vidal and a striker.

You and I both know we won't sign both.
    If we did it'd be Vidal + some mediocre forward.

In my eyes Ramsey isn't too far off Vidal's level. I'd rather we sign a world class players in the positions that actually need attention.

Don't get me wrong i'd be happy with Vidal signing.. But the money he'd cost could be spent better elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

What can we offer him over Juventus though in all seriousness? He's just won their league, their cup as well as reaching the champions league final. I can only seeing him going to Madrid or Barca if anywhere at all. Playing alongside Sanchez isnt gonna make him move from Italy

You and I both know we won't sign both.
    If we did it'd be Vidal + some mediocre forward.

In my eyes Ramsey isn't too far off Vidal's level. I'd rather we sign a world class players in the positions that actually need attention.

Don't get me wrong i'd be happy with Vidal signing.. But the money he'd cost could be spent better elsewhere.

Why that may be true, I'm really hoping we'll get more than 1 big signing this year. I'm fine with spending big on a striker but If we have the opportunity to sign Vidal only a fool for pass It up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

http://www.thefa.com//news/governance/2015/jun/jack-wilshere-admits-charge-of-misconduct-170615?

"Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere has been fined £40,000 and severely warned as to his future conduct after admitting to a charge of misconduct."

About three days wages?

Bet he thinks it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Godge wrote: »
    http://www.thefa.com//news/governance/2015/jun/jack-wilshere-admits-charge-of-misconduct-170615?

"Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere has been fined £40,000 and severely warned as to his future conduct after admitting to a charge of misconduct."

About three days wages?

"What do you think of the fine?"
    "Shít"
    "You can't say shít"
    "Fine!"
    "Thank you"
    "That's alright...(walks out door)...we hate tottenham we hate tottenham!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Godge wrote: »

About three days wages?

Rubbish from FA, if a player can't celebrate with fans, who is he going to with?

FA and their pathetic bringing the game in disrepute reasons, I can see if a player farts in public, he'll be fined for bringing the game in disrepute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Hopefully see Gnabry get a run out for the German U/21s over this tournament. Not in match squad today but has missed the whole season in fairness.

Who else have we got at the tournament? Chambers, Jenks... that it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

On vidal....if we're in for him I'd be delighted were still not in a place to be turning our noses up at world class players it should be up to the players we already have to step up to the challenge and fight for there places and if we're serious about chasing the big trophies we'll need the squad depth to fight on 4 fronts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

If you're to believe the Twitter yoke, Cech is done and dusted, but i won't believe it until David Ornstein tweets it!

Benzema is now also being bandied about a lot. I'd be delerious with those 2 for the summer. Coq as number 1 with Arteta backing him up would do me fine!

emmetlego wrote: »
    If you're to believe the Twitter yoke, Cech is done and dusted, but i won't believe it until David Ornstein tweets it!

Benzema is now also being bandied about a lot. I'd be delerious with those 2 for the summer. Coq as number 1 with Arteta backing him up would do me fine!

Not for me..

If i'm being really honest Flamini is beyond past it and really brings absolutely nothing to the team apart from shouting and finger pointing.

Arteta doesn't have the legs to run around intercepting and tackling. He'd do a decent job in the Cazorla role where he just is allowed to stay in the middle and dictate play while Coq does all the heavy lifting.

A holding mid is top priority for me. If Coq gets injured we're ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

We need all three or we will fall well short again. Chelsea, City and United will all get better.

"What do you think of the fine?"
    "Shít"
    "You can't say shít"
    "Fine!"
    "Thank you"
    "That's alright...(walks out door)...we hate tottenham we hate tottenham!"

Actually took a look at Perry Groves book there during the week and in it he told of how he led the Arsenal fans on a rendition of 'My old man is a Tottenham fan' back in 1989 after we won the league. Vieira's first press conference for Arsenal he stated when asked the only English he knew....'**** Spurs!'

These events respectively happened in both 1989 and 1996. By todays standards there would be uproar

wawaman wrote: »
    i think we can cross Vidal off the list after last night !!

Its wrote off like a red Ferrari! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

We need all three or we will fall well short again. Chelsea, City and United will all get better.

This is how I feel. Make those deals and we're challengers. Don't and we're 4th place battlers again

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »
    This is how I feel. Make those deals and we're challengers. Don't and we're 4th place battlers again

Its simple enough business as well if we can get Cech over the line soon. Loads of DM/CM options available to us so he should pick his favourite. I feel he will leave it there though and we will be that one player ( a top striker) short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Its simple enough business as well if we can get Cech over the line soon. Loads of DM/CM options available to us so he should pick his favourite. I feel he will leave it there though and we will be that one player ( a top striker) short.

Striker is always the hardest one to get. I do think with Cech and a top notch midfielder we could challenge with Giroud but ideally an improvement on him would be best.

If you put an Agureo into our team as it is, I think we'd win the league.

bad2dabone wrote: »

Don't see there being that much of a 4th place battle next season tbh. United will strengthen and ourselves and the other two are a level above what's out there unless there's some serious miracles pulled off over the summer.

It's **** or get off the pot time, hopefully we're right in the mix til the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Don't see there being that much of a 4th place battle next season tbh. United will strengthen and ourselves and the other two are a level above what's out there unless there's some serious miracles pulled off over the summer.

It's **** or get off the pot time, hopefully we're right in the mix til the end.

Too early in the summer to say that. Nobody knows who everyone will sign. A couple of good signings moves a team from 3rd/4th to walking the league.....as happened with chelsea. City could buy terribly again, Spurs could buy brilliantly, and everything shifts. Liverpool could finally have a good window.

As I said, It's only june. The window stays open for quite a while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Dear AFC Bournemouth,

Please fcuk off. We are first alphabetically

Yours

Arsenal FC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

@TomasRosicky7: Just read some words online that I have stated I am unhappy , I couldn't be more happy in London with my family and Arsenal .. Thanks. TR7

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Too early in the summer to say that. Nobody knows who everyone will sign. A couple of good signings moves a team from 3rd/4th to walking the league.....as happened with chelsea. City could buy terribly again, Spurs could buy brilliantly, and everything shifts. Liverpool could finally have a good window.

As I said, It's only june. The window stays open for quite a while yet.

LOL

Anyone worried that this Cech thing will turn into Higuain mark II. All Summer it was a done deal until he signed for Napoli

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

efb wrote: »
    @TomasRosicky7: Just read some words online that I have stated I am unhappy , I couldn't be more happy in London with my family and Arsenal .. Thanks. TR7

Rosicky has a really fantastic attitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

2ndcoming wrote: »

LOL

Spurs have had some excellent players in their side throughout the years like Pat Jennings, Paul Gascoigne, Glen Hoddle, Teddy Sheringham, Van der Vaart, Berbatov, Bale, Lloris, Eriksen, etc.

The idea that a team could buy well should not be LOL worthy. Football existed prior to them spending the Bale money. Dont be a child. "Lolz, our rivals are crap bruv!" is knuckle dragging behaviour to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Spurs have had some excellent players in their side throughout the years like Pat Jennings, Paul Gascoigne, Glen Hoddle, Teddy Sheringham, Van der Vaart, Berbatov, Bale, Lloris, Eriksen, etc.

The idea that a team could buy well should not be LOL worthy. Football existed prior to them spending the Bale money. Dont be a child. "Lolz, our rivals are crap bruv!" is knuckle dragging behaviour to be honest.

Your going a fair way back there to include some players. Tbf, along with Liverpool they are probably the two teams that have wasted the most money in the last few transfer windows

• Advertisement

If you're gonna go back to the early 1980's or at a stretch the early 90's they had a decent team. Ever since they've always had 1 or 2 gems in a puddle of mediocrity. So on evidence of the past 20 years of transfer markets the notion that Spurs are going to put together a side in one summer capable of competing at the top table in any meaningful fashion is LOL-worthy tbh. I don't consider them rivals and never really have, that's just a fact.

Liverpool, though still very unlikely, are not quite at the LOL stage yet. Brodge will be packing his bags by November if they don't get some decent results out of that horror start so this summer is a huge test for him and I'll give him a slim chance of putting something good together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I wouldn't say it's about Spurs buying duds or anything, it's just that the quality they seek is beyond them.

Players might develop into world class talent, as Bale did, but right now, spurs are not in a position to buy the players that will get them fourth spot.

That's not to say they're not a threat though but I'd be far more worried about their manager kicking on and really getting things going than who they're going to bring in.

People need to stop taking the piss out of Spurs and Liverpool for their signings though and realise where they are ... which is pretty much where we were for years. We have had a lot of mediocre players over the last decade.

The only difference is Wenger. His knack of spotting emerging world class talent like RVP and Fab, and superhuman ability to somehow get so so players like Hleb, Denilson, Song etc playing well for decent spells is the only reason we hung on to the CL places for so long.

gosplan wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's about Spurs buying duds or anything, it's just that the quality they seek is beyond them.

Players might develop into world class talent, as Bale did, but right now, spurs are not in a position to buy the players that will get them fourth spot.

That's not to say they're not a threat though but I'd be far more worried about their manager kicking on and really getting things going than who they're going to bring in.

People need to stop taking the piss out of Spurs and Liverpool for their signings though and realise where they are ... which is pretty much where we were for years. We have had a lot of mediocre players over the last decade.

The only difference is Wenger. His knack of spotting emerging world class talent like RVP and Fab, and superhuman ability to somehow get so so players like Hleb, Denilson, Song etc playing well for decent spells is the only reason we hung on to the CL places for so long.

The timing was crucial. A key difference when we were getting away with it was that Chelsea and United were still the only two outspending us (well Pool prob were but we shared 3rd/4th with them most years anyway) and basically ahead of us. Spurs are basically still where they were then (5th/6th) but Liverpool, who obviously were regulars in the CL from 05-11, have got 4 clubs ahead of them in the pecking order in terms of spending power, paying players, and squad depth. It's gonna be a very tricky task without some serious revenue boosts to get back to that top table now unless one of the four considerably slip away in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Funny thing I reckon is that if we'd bought Coquelin in January for £20m then there would likely be no one calling for an upgrade.

I'm going to bet that the FA Cup Final convinced AW that DM isn't a priority.

cson wrote: »
    Funny thing I reckon is that if we'd bought Coquelin in January for £20m then there would likely be no one calling for an upgrade.

We have to buy someone there.

Wenger might be convinced that replacing Coq isn't a priority but he'll know that having some viable backup is.

gosplan wrote: »
    We have to buy someone there.

Wenger might be convinced that replacing Coq isn't a priority but he'll know that having some viable backup is.

I agree, but I believe that he believes Arteta is that viable back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'm in the camp that if we do get Cech, I'd prefer to keep Szcz than Ospina. I don't think Ospina is bad and he may be better at the minute but I just think Woj has more potential in the long run.

I'm in the camp that if we do get Cech, I'd prefer to keep Szcz than Ospina. I don't think Ospina is bad and he may be better at the minute but I just think Woj has more potential in the long run.

Why not send him on loan? There would be plenty of clubs interested like Everton or Southampton.

Disagree.
    He really doesn't have the legs to be playing the holding role. The reason Coq fits our squad so well is because he can actually cover ground pretty fast. He also doesn't get muscled off the ball. Arteta my do a decent job partnering Coq in the middle.. But i really don't want to see him as our only defensive mid.

Did you read what I said?

Did you read what I said?

I did but them my brain decided to fall asleep but let me continue typing. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

From DeanLDN's twitter over the last few months it looks like Cech is done and he seems to be suggesting Ospina will go. His twitter seemed to have become a troll account but the only 2 players hes actually mentioned in the last few months are Cech (seriously) and Sterling (in a trolly manner), so I'd pretty much take it to be done.

AdamD wrote: »
    From DeanLDN's twitter over the last few months it looks like Cech is done and he seems to be suggesting Ospina will go. His twitter seemed to have become a troll account but the only 2 players hes actually mentioned in the last few months are Cech (seriously) and Sterling (in a trolly manner), so I'd pretty much take it to be done.

Ospina to leave?? I highly doubt that, unless Wenger has made It clear that he will be the no.3 keeper next year. Even at that he's only been here a year, had a great season and won his first trophy with the exception of the Liga aguila.

Szc will survive because he is homegrown. Ospina looks on the way. Really should be the last chance for Szc now.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

How long is Martinez at the club? Could he be considered home-grown too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Roaster wrote: »
    How long is Martinez at the club? Could he be considered home-grown too?

Under old rules, yes. Under proposed new rules, no.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

cson wrote: »

If we'd spent £20m on him in January he'd have been a player with far more top level experience than he has.

Leaving aside that he is still very unproven, if he gets injured we'll be in trouble IMO. Hopefully Arteta will perform well and stay fit next season but we've got too many IFs in the squad right now for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

On sky italia that wengers has spoken personally to kondogbia and we are now favourites to sign him too

On sky italia that wengers has spoken personally to kondogbia and we are now favourites to sign him too

Really would be a perfect fit.

Re: Arteta, surely Wenger sees he can't be relied on as regards fitness these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We could go into next season with:

Cech
    Debuchy Mert Kosc Monreal

That's got to be the most experienced back 5 we've had in years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement