Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Soups123 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think only Everton and Norwich have spent less than us

As of three weeks ago, £500m has been spent by all Premier League clubs: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33765321

When you add in Pedro and Otamendi, that must have reached near or over £600m. If the current total spend is around £600m, then us, the third-placed team last year, have accounted for 1.67% of all spending.

Right now our total spend is nearly identical to the salary of our manager! What a cult club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Thought Neville was spot on the other night.

Our transfer policy is naive and arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

yep but apparently when we do win it not having bought it we are going to enjoy it much more than any other team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Soups123 wrote: »
    yep but apparently when we do win it not having bought it we are going to enjoy it much more than any other team

Yeah whenever that will be. Does anyone really care about that anymore?

Just give me a league title.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Yeah whenever that will be. Does anyone really care about that anymore?

Just give me a league title.

Nope I would happly contribute to any overspend if it helped, maybe €100 max

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Wenger is a joke in the transfer market. He treats the club cash as his own. I guess the yanks pay him a big bonus to do that. Such a shame as a few signings the last few seasons and the league was ours. Not replacing Walcott was criminal that January. That was our best chance.

This year it will be the 4th trophy chase again.

And the excuse that he will only but to improve the team...if he can't see where the team needs improving he should be gone.

We must be saving for a new stadium.

Previous years it was the World Cup, not having qualified for the cl group stages.

This year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Pudders wrote: »
    Wenger is a joke in the transfer market. He treats the club cash as his own. I guess the yanks pay him a big bonus to do that. Such a shame as a few signings the last few seasons and the league was ours. Not replacing Walcott was criminal that January. That was our best chance.

This year it will be the 4th trophy chase again.

And the excuse that he will only but to improve the team...if he can't see where the team needs improving he should be gone.

We must be saving for a new stadium.

Previous years it was the World Cup, not having qualified for the cl group stages.

This year?
    No excuses this year. We're in the best position financially we've ever been in. No world cup, NO CL qualification, NO hangover from the summer*. All we needed was a manager and board willing to invest in winning the title.

We don't have that.

*Sanchez excpeted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Think this place is going to be one rage filled place on deadline day.

CF has become our new GK/dm an obvious weakness in our line up thar Wenger ignores for years on end costing us dearly.

I'd like another dm to compete with coq but I'd love a CF to push Giroud back to being a great squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

drowning_in_the_depths_of_despair_by_gracefool_lyn-d5l8rk5.jpg

Thought we could do with something to cheer us all up!

This is called "Drowning In The Depths of Despair" - hope it lightens the mood a little !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Think this place is going to be one rage filled place on deadline day.

CF has become our new GK/dm an obvious weakness in our line up thar Wenger ignores for years on end costing us dearly.

I'd like another dm to compete with coq but I'd love a CF to push Giroud back to being a great squad player.

Noooooboooodddyyy coming.
    This year will be a big year ....... for the money men at the club. Huge dividends.

• Advertisement

I'll not be losing it on deadline day. Damage done for this season already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭wawaman

Another one bites the dust

Rafael Hernández ‏@RafaelH117
    Rafael Hernández retweeted Grzegorz Krychowiak
    Krychowiak confirms he’s staying, aka not going to Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

We won't be signing a defensive midfielder in this window - not after Coquelin's performance against Liverpool. Not saying we don't need one - in an ideal world you'd just pay the £20m to activate Krychowiaks release clause and have them both fight it out for the spot.

That being said; its a perception thing amongst our fans too; say for instance we'd signed Krychowiak in January; then I'd hazard a guess most would be happy enough with him and Arteta as our defensive midfield options. Because we didn't spend a penny on Coquelin; there's a question mark. (A valid one tbh, he still has to prove he can do it over the course of a full season).

Can probably see us signing someone on the flanks and using Sanchez as a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

cson wrote: »
    We won't be signing a defensive midfielder in this window - not after Coquelin's performance against Liverpool. Not saying we don't need one - in an ideal world you'd just pay the £20m to activate Krychowiaks release clause and have them both fight it out for the spot.

That being said; its a perception thing amongst our fans too; say for instance we'd signed Krychowiak in January; then I'd hazard a guess most would be happy enough with him and Arteta as our defensive midfield options. Because we didn't spend a penny on Coquelin; there's a question mark. (A valid one tbh, he still has to prove he can do it over the course of a full season).

Can probably see us signing someone on the flanks and using Sanchez as a striker.

I wonder had he been sent off against Palace whether we would have brought one in. In a way I hope not; to decide on transfers on a ref's decision would be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

emmetlego wrote: »

Arsene's so happy because he just finalised Cavani,Carvalho and Hummels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Arsene's so happy because he just finalised Cavani,Carvalho and Hummels.

The full event:
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vrnn4p3V94E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Barca have signed more players than us this summer and they have a transfer ban :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

at this point i dont expect any significant improvements, if any.. its very disappointing.. i find it hard to defend wenger and co when the squad isnt being strengthened as it should be.. our squad is stronger than most but simply isnt good enough (imo) to really challenge and go all the way.. its obvious to everyone.. we're repeating ourselves again and again and the transfer rumour horseshyte on a daily basis is beyond tedious and nauseating at this point. dont know what to add really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Noooooboooodddyyy coming.
    This year will be a big year ....... for the money men at the club. Huge dividends.

Time to stop going to games and contributing? Hit them where it hurts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

symbolic wrote: »
    Time to stop going to games and contributing? Hit them where it hurts :)

If things do go pear-shaped this season then the fans will let Wenger & Co. know in no uncertain manner.
    The excuses are all used up now.
    Wenger really is taking a gamble if he doesn't strengthen.

Let's hope that we get back to winning and scoring ways and get on course for a strong challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Completely disagree with that article. Coq only looked good against city as we sat back and is a championship player otherwise. Bull****. Was one of the 3 best players in the best team of the second half of the season. I like grantland but their football coverage is never very good

If things do go pear-shaped this season then the fans will let Wenger & Co. know in no uncertain manner.

That's what I'm saying. Let them know man!

stuchyg wrote: »
    Completely disagree with that article. Coq only looked good against city as we sat back and is a championship player otherwise. Bull****. Was one of the 3 best players in the best team of the second half of the season. I like grantland but their football coverage is never very good

I think I was woooed by there rubbishing of Matic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Barca have signed more players than us this summer and they have a transfer ban :pac:

Peak Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Quazzie wrote: »
    No excuses this year. We're in the best position financially we've ever been in. No world cup, NO CL qualification, NO hangover from the summer*. All we needed was a manager and board willing to invest in winning the title.

We don't have that.

*Sanchez excpeted

It's really make or break this year for Wenger, I think even winning a league cup or FA cup won't do this year. He's really putting himself under some pressure if he doesn't sign anyone ( I think he needs two or three players) and if he loses at Newcastle, the heat on him will be crazy. He will of cause make excuses and I'm really starting to believe that as Gary Neville said there is a touch of "arrogance" with Wenger.

I'm really hoping he makes some signings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The excuses are all used up now.
    Wenger really is taking a gamble if he doesn't strengthen.

Let's hope that we get back to winning and scoring ways and get on course for a strong challenge.

I agree (for once!). People expecting a world class striker are deluded. They're not out there. There isn't a striker out there better than Giroud that we can sign.

I've been arguing that all summer here. I've come around to thinking that it shouldn't be 'better than Giroud' or nothing though.

We still need a body there that would have come on at 70 mins the other day. I think given the injury status of Welbeck and the total uselessness of Theo when we're chasing a game vrs a packed defence, starting Giroud is basically like only having one striker at the club.

Just sign someone that will get in and about tiring defenders. Not necessarily a big guy but someone that will put it up to them more than Theo.

I'd like Martial personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

gosplan wrote: »

I'd like Martial personally.

Barca have been linked to him and Yarmolenko in the past few days - I imagine they'll sign one of them. Let's get the other :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Crowley grabbed himself a goal against Everton in the capital one cup

Linked with Matuidi from PSG along with Cavani again. That would be a fantastic double swoop!!!

Still talk of Drexler, Goetze, Krychowiac and Reus simmering under the surface too.

Any 2 would please me to be honest. They're mostly world class players IMO.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Crawley grabbed himself a goal against Everton in the capital one cup

Cue Wenger taking him back off loan and claiming him "like a new signing!" :-)

Lastly (from me) tonight... If this doesn't bring a tear to your eye, you're a dead Gunner... If we gave him stem-cell treatment? Maybe give him a Michael Jackson Oxygen tent?? Anything... What a moment in the game that was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYbPLSyxgGk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Linked with Matuidi from PSG along with Cavani again. That would be a fantastic double swoop!!!

Still talk of Drexler, Goetze, Krychowiac and Reus simmering under the surface too.

Any 2 would please me to be honest. They're mostly world class players IMO.

Do you honestly see any of those coming off? Genuine question. It's the hope that kills

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Zelalem got a nice assist for rangers

• Advertisement

Do you honestly see any of those coming off? Genuine question. It's the hope that kills

I do see us signing at least one player. And I mean one more than Cech... But any of the media outlets that spout these names are probably plucking them from thin air. You'd imagine/hope that we are after WC players, but Arsenal are one of the most private of clubs. They never release the names until it's practically done.

In short, I have no clue, but I am hopeful! COYG

Tayto! Tayto!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

symbolic wrote: »
    Tayto! Tayto!

This is no time for crisps!

bad2dabone wrote: »

Or batch bread with butter! gorgeous!

bad2dabone wrote: »

True..

I feel he's a man on a mission though, the money men won't like the Tayto's of the world rising up and saying NO MORE! taking taytos money and not using it!

• Advertisement

Did Arsene miss a trick with Afobe ?? 14 million for one good season ?

Re the Champions league draw, i actually welcome the fact we have two prospective games against a top side to contend with in the group stage. At the end of the day you are in the Champions league to be amongst the elite and you have to earn your right to eat at the top table.

Its survival of the fittest, we either stay sharp or go home.

Lastly (from me) tonight... If this doesn't bring a tear to your eye, you're a dead Gunner... If we gave him stem-cell treatment? Maybe give him a Michael Jackson Oxygen tent?? Anything... What a moment in the game that was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYbPLSyxgGk

Give that man a contract :pac:

Honestly would have old man Henry over Welbeck any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭wawaman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

wawaman wrote: »

We let United and Liverpool catch up with us and fell further behind City and Chelsea, fair play to the club!

TEAM NEWS: "@mertesacker is still ill and we will know more about @6_LKOSCIELNY after he has a test."

MORE: "Welbeck is progressing well and should be back after the international break."

Wenger on Steve McClaren: "It was a clever move for him to manage abroad and he has done very well."

Boss: "In both halves against Liverpool we created chances but couldn't finish. That will come back, it goes in cycles."

Wenger: "I'm convinced that video technology will come into football more and the next step will be to help the offside rule."

Boss: "It's normal after two or three games that you're not at 100 per cent. Some players are not completely there yet."

Wenger on #NUFCvAFC: "It's always very tight and very committed there because the crowd is behind them. We have always done very well."

We let United and Liverpool catch up with us and fell further behind City and Chelsea, fair play to the club!

Shock horror, two average 'big' clubs with plenty of need and ability to improve their starting lineup do so.

Have Chelsea improved their starting 11? I'm not so sure.

City are city, and it would have been interesting if the sanctions against them and PSG stuck like they were meant to. The thing with them is that their players that underperformed last year (like Toure) are playing well.

I will reserve judgement until the window closes, but we only really have one position that can be clearly improved on, and its also the toughest position to find a quality player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

How have we fallen further behind Chelsea?

How have we fallen further behind Chelsea?

Pedro I spose? He should improve them

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement