Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

symbolic wrote: »
    Pedro I spose? He should improve them
    And we've improved with Cech. Looks pretty even to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

And we've improved with Cech. Looks pretty even to me.

Falcao? and soon there will be additions you can bet your life on it. In talks with Pogba and stones now apparently while we're In talks with nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

L'prof wrote: »

They're probably the only other strikers who have played 100 games for Arsenal in the pl...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Incase anyone forgot Chelsea are champions, so saying we signed Cech they signed Pedro were even is nonsense. We're meant to be part if the chasing pack we finished 3rd.

Everyone else in the chasing pack has brought in players trying there best to catch the champions while so far this window were happy to remain part of the chasing pack it seems and not push on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Re the Champions league draw, i actually welcome the fact we have two prospective games against a top side to contend with in the group stage. At the end of the day you are in the Champions league to be amongst the elite and you have to earn your right to eat at the top table.

Its survival of the fittest, we either stay sharp or go home.

We've had Dortmund in our group a few times now, do you not consider them a top side ? They had a disastrous league campaign last season but they've always been doing well in the Champions League these past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Signings are one thing. If we're to engage in an arms race with Chelsea city or United we'll surely lose. What angers me more than no signings is seeing the team badly set up, resulting in performances like vs West ham, vs Liverpool and vs Monaco at home last year. Limp, weak, no balance. That kills me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Incase anyone forgot Chelsea are champions, so saying we signed Cech they signed Pedro were even is nonsense. We're meant to be part if the chasing pack we finished 3rd.

Everyone else in the chasing pack has brought in players trying there best to catch the champions while so far this window were happy to remain part of the chasing pack it seems and not push on.

that's a fair point but the debate was whether or not we had fallen behind Chelsea

Falcao? and soon there will be additions you can bet your life on it. In talks with Pogba and stones now apparently while we're In talks with nobody.

None of these players improve their starting 11. Might help them if a few players get injured though.

Basil3 wrote: »
    None of these players improve their starting 11. Might help them if a few players get injured though.

Pogba Is a country mile better than the performances Cesc has been giving but whether they improve their starting 11 or not Is irrelevant, what they are doing Is strengthening, we are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

greendom wrote: »
    that's a fair point but the debate was whether or not we had fallen behind Chelsea

Maybe we haven't but we certainly haven't done much to catch up and close the gap whilst at least City and United have been actively trying to and Chelsea certainly seem to be pushing to st last strengthen there squad further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Pogba would improve literally every team in the world except maybe Bayern. Still, can't see Chelsea getting him now though so purely hypothetical right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Whilst it is deeply saddening that we are not strengthening in the areas we so desperately need to, it is still no excuse for losing to WestHam on the opening day, and how we've set out the team since. We could sign Messi but if the team aren't prepared properly then we'll always lose matched we're expected to win.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Stones and Falcao won't improve them (unless Falcao manages to get out of the rut he's in). Pedro is definitely an improvement on Willian though and Pogba, were it to happen, would be a huge improvement. They have a thinner squad than us yeah but their first eleven is still a fair bit better imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH I think Pogba is vastly overvalued at the figures being quoted. We do need a striker but there are only a couple of names that would be an improvement. The most likely has come out with the "clowns" statement so unless he is pulling a RvP I don't see him moving. The others that we should go for would require a bid that would make Arsenes sphincter quiver in fear!!! At this stage I don't see us adding any one else to the squad.

I do really really hope I am wrong and Wenger has a masterstroke hidden up his sleeve!

Pogba Is a country mile better than the performances Cesc has been giving but whether they improve their starting 11 or not Is irrelevant, what they are doing Is strengthening, we are not.

So if we get a backup for Giroud who is worse than Giroud, and get linked with a player worth £50m, that's good enough.

We've already been linked with a player worth £50m, so if we sign Charlie Austin you're happy?

• Advertisement

Our best 11 is on par with Chelsea's, except maybe striker. We have some better players in certain positions, they have some better in others.

Our second 11 (backup in every position) is possibly best in the league. We don't need to be strengthening with backups. We need to improve the starting 11.

If Pogba goes to Chelsea, you'll have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Taking this with a pinch of salt, but Wenger said he is still very much interested in bringing in players.

"I don't know because I am always confident that a last-minute situation or solution is available, because the transfer market is especially moving in the last four or five days.

"At the moment, I cannot promise you that. We work very hard... you know I have a team around me who work day and night to find good solutions.
    "But at the moment, we are not close to signing anyone. I am 24 hours available per day, so I am involved in the decision of course."

Maybe we'll all be pleasantly suprised :rolleyes:

So if we get a backup for Giroud who is worse than Giroud, and get linked with a player worth £50m, that's good enough.

We've already been linked with a player worth £50m, so if we sign Charlie Austin you're happy?

What? I don't follow. Chelsea have strengthened and they will sign at least 1 more World Class player, It would be a miracle If we were to sign anyone worth while what don't you understand?

What? I don't follow. Chelsea have strengthened and they will sign at least 1 more World Class player, It would be a miracle If we were to sign anyone worth while what don't you understand?

My point is that as it stands, it's questionable whether their starting 11 is any better than last year. Cech improves ours.

If they do sign a world class player who improves their starting 11 and we don't make any decent signings, you'll have a point.

Don't forget, the main reason Chelsea did so well last year is they could play their best 11 virtually the whole season.

My point is that as it stands, it's questionable whether their starting 11 is any better than last year. Cech improves ours.

If they do sign a world class player who improves their starting 11 and we don't make any decent signings, you'll have a point.

Don't forget, the main reason Chelsea did so well last year is they could play their best 11 virtually the whole season.

Chelsea finished 12 points ahead of us last season held us to a goalless draw at home and spanked us 2-0 away. Signing Cech Isn't going to close that gap especially considering they've already Signed a proven goalscorer and a phenomenal winger.

• Advertisement

Chelsea finished 12 points ahead of us last season held us to a goalless draw at home and spanked us 2-0 away. Signing Cech Isn't going to close that gap especially considering they've already Signed a proven goalscorer and a phenomenal winger.

Which proven goalscorer is this? The one who hasnt been scoring goals for a few seasons?

Since January, when we had Giroud, Ozil and Coq back in the squad, we've matched them for points, they haven't beaten us and we have beaten them (but community shield only counts when they win, I know).

A quick look at the league table tells me that despite all their strengthening, they aren't exactly impressive

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Calling Falcao a proven goal scorer is a bit like saying Aaron Ramsey is clean shaven. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

5 points behind city already.
    5 points worse off than last year.
    Had already qualified for cl group stages so didn't need to wait.
    New shirt sponsorship deal kicking in.
    New TV deal kicking in.
    Loads of cash in the bank.
    Stadium paid off.

But the excuses are we can't find anyone to improve our starting 11?

Absolute rubbish.

We could definitely improve central defender (Mert), dmf, and striker. People saying name the list are just Wenger apologists.

Cech is an upgrade but we have strengthened less than Chelsea and City who were already ahead of us. And United and Liverpool.

Wenger is too stubborn and arrogant. But the Yanks love him and they can use the Arsenal cash for their US sports collateral. How much of a dividend this year for their "expertise"?

Which proven goalscorer is this? The one who hasnt been scoring goals for a few seasons?

Since January, when we had Giroud, Ozil and Coq back in the squad, we've matched them for points, they haven't beaten us and we have beaten them (but community shield only counts when they win, I know).

A quick look at the league table tells me that despite all their strengthening, they aren't exactly impressive

Ok If you think we have a better squad than Chelsea that's fine mate, come the end of the season you will see.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Calling Falcao a proven goal scorer is a bit like saying Aaron Ramsey is clean shaven. :p

He had a bad year...It's not unusual for that to happen. I'd be shocked If he didn't score 10+ PL goals this season even just playing off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wenger apologists? When people start giving us reasonable names we'll accept that we've missed out on a striker. In the meantime I'll continue to read lists containing 6 unattainable players, 4 wingers and 2/3 close calls.

It's not looking good anyway. We don't need defenders and I really don't think DM is much of an issue any more (wouldn't hurt to get one in and ditch Flamini of course) but striker has to be the priority. There's really no decent alternative to Giroud in the squad at the moment, Theo is only any good when the opposition play to his strengths as Monday night showed.

He had a bad year...It's not unusual for that to happen. I'd be shocked If he didn't score 10+ PL goals this season even just playing off the bench.

He's had more than a bad year, he hasn't been prolific since the 12/13 season. He's had injury problems though and might come good again of course. it's not really an issue as long as Costa stays fit anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Can't wait for 6 days time. :(

Anyways, who are we hoping for in the draw?

PSV
    Arsenal
    Olympiacos
    Gent

Being the easiest imo;

Bayern Munich
    Arsenal
    Sevilla
    Wolfsburg/Astana (9hr flight :eek:)

Being the hardest.

Barcelona
    Arsenal
    Lyon
    Malmo

Being the one I think we'll get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

AdamD wrote: »
    Wenger apologists? When people start giving us reasonable names we'll accept that we've missed out on a striker. In the meantime I'll continue to read lists containing 6 unattainable players, 4 wingers and 2/3 close calls.
    The thing is though, that no list, no matter how true, is good enough for the apologists. ;)

I feel like either Bayern or Barca is nailed on.

Me too.

• Advertisement

It's not looking good anyway. We don't need defenders and I really don't think DM is much of an issue any more (wouldn't hurt to get one in and ditch Flamini of course) but striker has to be the priority. There's really no decent alternative to Giroud in the squad at the moment, Theo is only any good when the opposition play to his strengths as Monday night showed.

He's had more than a bad year, he hasn't been prolific since the 12/13 season. He's had injury problems though and might come good again of course. it's not really an issue as long as Costa stays fit anyway.

In 13/14 he only had 20 appearances due to injury but still manged 11 goals which Is pretty good. Last year was a disaster for him but It doesn't change the fact that he Is world class.

Maybe he will go the down the drain, maybe he will go back to his usual self, who knows? But I'd take him In our squad right now In a heartbeat.

Does it really matter as we aren't getting past the 2nd round as per usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I called it a few weeks ago, we ain't signing anyone.

Everybody chill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

cson wrote: »
    Can't wait for 6 days time. :(

Anyways, who are we hoping for in the draw?

Yeah enough of the doom and gloom :)
    The sun is out and the Champions League draw is nearly upon us!

Wanting to do an away group game. Do those tickets go on sale for red members.. Anyone do it before?

DMF is definitely a priority. Coq whilst great last year is nowhere near world class. And our back-up is dreadful. Arteta permanently injured and Flamini is past it. Coq is not good enough for the top teams.

As for striker, any player is attainable if we throw enough money.

But lets be happy with the cash in the bank, 4th place and 2nd round of the cl.

In 13/14 he only had 20 appearances due to injury but still manged 11 goals which Is pretty good. Last year was a disaster for him but It doesn't change the fact that he Is world class.

Maybe he will go the down the drain, maybe he will go back to his usual self, who knows? But I'd take him In our squad right now In a heartbeat.

I'd take him too, certainly better than nothing.
    Pudders wrote: »
    Does it really matter as we aren't getting past the 2nd round as per usual.

That's the spirit.

symbolic wrote: »
    Yeah enough of the doom and gloom :)
    The sun is out and the Champions League draw is nearly upon us!

Wanting to do an away group game. Do those tickets go on sale for red members.. Anyone do it before?

Yes done it 7 times.

No as a red member unless it is Astana and demand is limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

No as a red member unless it is Astana and demand is limited.

Ah shame.

DMF is definitely a priority. Coq whilst great last year is nowhere near world class. And our back-up is dreadful. Arteta permanently injured and Flamini is past it. Coq is not good enough for the top teams.

As for striker, any player is attainable if we throw enough money.

But lets be happy with the cash in the bank, 4th place and 2nd round of the cl.

Seriously ? How do you come to that conclusion. Since he became a regular his stats compare favourably with any defensive midfielder you care to mention

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2014/2015/francis_coquelin/165/126/380/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/nemanja_matic/165/126/9284/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/morgan_schneiderlin/126/126/724/43/p#tackles_won/tackles_lost/interceptions/blocks/clearances/aerial_duels_won_%#avg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

For the last 16, surely?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    For the last 16, surely?

I thought the new seeding rules were in effect so we can actually draw them in a group now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Barca, Roma and Wolfsburg or Bayern, Sevilla and Zagreb would be the groups I want. All decent games bar Zagreb. We arent gonna go far so might as well get some glamour ties now.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

What time is the draw at lads?

What time is the draw at lads?

Starts in 90 minutes. Lots of waffle to begin with though...

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

greendom wrote: »
    Starts in 90 minutes. Lots of waffle to begin with though...

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

4.45pm Dublin time. There will be presentations and speeches first before they progress to the actual draw :))

Barca, Roma and Wolfsburg or Bayern, Sevilla and Zagreb would be the groups I want. All decent games bar Zagreb. We arent gonna go far so might as well get some glamour ties now.

That's such bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Calling it now.

Arsenal
    Zenit
    Dynamo Kiev
    Wolfsburg

We'll finish second in the group, meet Bayern/Barca in the next round where we will have little or no chance of progressing after the first leg thrashing only to go out and lose on away goals in the second leg.

Scrape Champions League qualification at the end of this season in the league and repeat.

Well why not, it's been happening for 10 years. Prove me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

cson wrote: »
    That's such bollox.

We havent got past the last 16 in 5 seasons. Even Spurs have!

We havent got past the last 16 in 5 seasons. Even Spurs have!

I don't see why that would take away from the enjoyment of watching the CL matches this season though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement