Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Have a look at this video.

This was the first video I could find with some headers. Now, its old. And some of them are from open play. But there are two common factors in nearly all the goals.
    Number 1 is that they were hit in with pace.
    Number 2 is that the ball was put in between the posts. Not short or at the far post.....in between the sticks.

Thats the point im making here. Ignore stats. Use your eyes. This weekend there will likely be a header scored by somebody. I'm willing to bet that it will be stuck in between in the posts and likely be hit with power. I'm sticking my neck out a little but we shall see.

I'm not saying having a big physical team doesnt help. Of course it does. Chelsea have Terry, Cahill and Ivanovic who are all very dangerous from set pieces. But if the delivery isnt good, it doesnt matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

You really love that table, I'd be fairly confident In saying that Joey Barton Is not the best corner taker In the league. But It was clear watching QPR last year that corners were something they practiced In training and took very seriously. I really wish I could say the same for us, and that's the main issue here.

Perhaps, but it was the only one I could find, perhaps you could find something better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

greendom wrote: »
    Perhaps, but it was the only one I could find, perhaps you could find something better :)

I've no interest In corner statistics TBH man, I don't need them to know that we need to improve on them.

I don't know how much fault falls with Wenger or the players regarding corners, but I know for a while we were always using Per or Giroud at the near post to the point it was predictable.

To me it's like they they have no tactics or variation. It should be treated like a throw-in in rugby with clear variations that all players are aware of.

As it stands, it doesn't seem like any more than kick and hope to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Another player that hasn't been mentioned in quite a while is William Carvahlo, probably because he stagnated a bit last season and is injured now.

I work with a Portuguese guy who is a Sporting fan and he happened to mention today that since they didn't qualify for the champions league, he is expecting them to sell someone before the transfer window is done. So I think he would be worth a shot- strong, quite highly rated, young, and attainable. Only thing in question is that apparently he can seem lazy at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I read somewhere recently that he had regressed quite badly and nowhere near the potential he has shown!

Another player that hasn't been mentioned in quite a while is William Carvahlo, probably because he stagnated a bit last season and is injured now.

I work with a Portuguese guy who is a Sporting fan and he happened to mention today that since they didn't qualify for the champions league, he is expecting them to sell someone before the transfer window is done. So I think he would be worth a shot- strong, quite highly rated, young, and attainable. Only thing in question is that apparently he can seem lazy at times.

I mentioned him yesterday, would be delighted If we signed him. He wouldn't lazy for long under Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

He seems to have a great passing range for a DM too but cant see it happening

• Advertisement

Apparently Kos is back in training and Arsene will make a decision as to whether he's fit enough to play.

I was pleased Chambers lasted the 90 and felt he did improve a bit as the game went on (not that that is saying much) but I'll be happy to see him back on the bench for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I was happy with Gabriel the other night. Proper defender I think

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I was happy with Gabriel the other night. Proper defender I think

yes he looked very solid, quick too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Apparently Kos is back in training and Arsene will make a decision as to whether he's fit enough to play.

I was pleased Chambers lasted the 90 and felt he did improve a bit as the game went on (not that that is saying much) but I'll be happy to see him back on the bench for tomorrow

Hopefully Chambers has learned from the experience but we could have been 3 goals down before he improved.
    I would like to see Gabriel given more game time too as he looks useful. He is similar to Kos from what i've seen. He just wouldn't have the experience of playing with Mert and that only comes with game time so it would be risky pairing them unless Kos doesn't make it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Chambers was all over the shop in the first half yeah, hopefully the fact that he managed to see out the game and ended up keeping a clean sheet will do him some good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not Arsenal related but does anyone have a problem understanding LVG?
    Listened to an interview on SSN and haven't a clue what he said or meant !!!!
    Beginning to wonder if he knows himself. Comes across as a total bluffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Chambers was all over the shop in the first half yeah, hopefully the fact that he managed to see out the game and ended up keeping a clean sheet will do him some good though.

You gotta admire Wenger's belief in his players!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Not Arsenal related but does anyone have a problem understanding LVG?

Yep! Presumably just a language barrier, but also with a small pinch of madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I think him and Mourinho are two of the most arrogant fellas on the managerial circuit... And Neville had the cheek to call Wenger that!!!

• Advertisement

jamescd wrote: »
    We've had Dortmund in our group a few times now, do you not consider them a top side ? They had a disastrous league campaign last season but they've always been doing well in the Champions League these past few years.
    To be fair they are and I for one welcome the test they bring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

emmetlego wrote: »
    I read somewhere recently that he had regressed quite badly and nowhere near the potential he has shown!

don't know much about him but he was player of the tournament in the euro u21s this summer, then got injured

& neville wasn't calling wenger arrogant in a personal sense.

Arsenal U21s playing West Ham at the moment lots of praise for Bielik...

check @bytheminArsenal

Arsenal U21s playing West Ham at the moment lots of praise for Bielik...

check @bytheminArsenal

That's good news as I heard he has been struggling at centre back during his last few outings.

That's good news as I heard he has been struggling at centre back during his last few outings.

yes playing there again tonight apparently

yes playing there again tonight apparently

Are we short centre backs for the youth team or do they think thats his strongest position I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Probably a DM , when he started tackling they mistook him for being a defender :P

Finished 5 - 0 to Arsenal

Thats just an excuse. Why point to city and PSG all the time?

Why not point to United. Arsenals model is no different to Uniteds. Is he claiming Arsenal cant compete with United who have vastly outspent them in recent times? Do United have a rich benefactor? No, they just spend some of their profits.

Pull the other one. Arsenal are extremely wealthy. I'm sick of one of the wealthiest clubs in the world playing the "poor old us" card. How can you charge your fans that much for a ticket and keep moaning about FFP? :mad:

Comparing Arsenal to probably the biggest sporting brands in the world is a little unfair. Time to get Usmanov in and start spending.

• Advertisement

Point taken but similarly, are Norwich one of the biggest brands in the world? They have outspent Arsenal so far this summer.

Frankly the griping about FFP and talking about value in the market/player availability has started to rankle at this stage. We've heard it all before.

Kirby wrote: »
    Thats just an excuse. Why point to city and PSG all the time?

Why not point to United. Arsenals model is no different to Uniteds. Is he claiming Arsenal cant compete with United who have vastly outspent them in recent times? Do United have a rich benefactor? No, they just spend some of their profits.

Pull the other one. Arsenal are extremely wealthy. I'm sick of one of the wealthiest clubs in the world playing the "poor old us" card. How can you charge your fans that much for a ticket and keep moaning about FFP? :mad:

United's worldwide commercial revenues dwarfs Arsenal's (and nearly everyone elses).

Arsenal's model is self-financing without an external benefactor to throw in cash when a new star signing is required.

Kirby wrote: »
    Point taken but similarly, are Norwich one of the biggest brands in the world? They have outspent Arsenal so far this summer.

Frankly the griping about FFP and talking about value in the market/player availability has started to rankle at this stage. We've heard it all before.

Oh I'm in full agreement about this summer. It has been a disgrace and cant see how anyone could defend Wenger and the board for it. We had a great opportunity to push on but instead we look to be stagnating.

However, Id take no signings this summer if we could get rid of Kroenke and get someone in that wants to invest in the club.

Love this. Nothing wrong with having that much confidence in your own ability

https://twitter.com/afcbase/status/637403637145280512

"It's obviously great being compared to Pirlo. I definitely think he could reach my level some day."

The silly side of me wishes he had said that instead. :D

My 2 cents on the Neville thing, i would have had great time for him prior to Monday night but his completely unfounded opinion took the biscuit.

Why he has decided to put our best player on the night up as a scapegoat is beyond me. Coquelin was outstanding on the night (arguably motm) and done everything that any capable defensive midfielder should do. He has been a revelation for us since January. But the fact he is not as tall or strong as Patrick Vieira seems to be enough of a reason for Neville to accuse Wenger of being naive and arrrogant?? :confused: In modern football, for all of the physicality of Patrick Vieira you could get the skillset of Carlton Palmer with the same player . For Neville to dismiss Arsene Wenger based on not being able to sign the same level of players as we used to is naive and arrogant and there is two reasons why we cant sign those players

1. Chelsea/City can offer more wages
    2. They dont exist

Did his old boss Fergie sign a direct replacement for Roy Keane?? No! and why? because there was only one Roy Keane. And as for defensive midfielders, who was the man who defined the central defensive midfield position? Yep, Claude Makelele. And what size was he? 5 foot 7.

Look at the team Neville once lauded as a team of midgets, Barcelona, who swept all before them

As for box to box midfielders akin to Vieira and Keane, we are well past the age of 4-4-2 when you relied on your central midfielders to cover more ground. Midfield consists of two zones these times, deep lying and pushed forward. If you get go too far forward you do so at your own risk.

Arsene Wenger has yet to sign a player as good an all round player as Dennis Bergkamp since his retirement or a Thierry Henry...i supppose Arsene deserves more bashing for this?

Wenger is far from perfect but he is been overly criticised for something that is outside of his control for most parts

And despite all the hullaboloo about Arsenal being too fond of selifes to win anything and Arsenal not recruiting Patrick Vieira reincarnate, we have won two trophies in the last two seasons and finished in the top four. One would think we were a mid table side.
    Arsenal are being put up as some sort of poster boy for underachieving and mediocrity. Totally uncalled for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Completely agree, this whole 'hard as nails all muscle 6'2"' defensive midfielder stereotype is just outdated, and I don't ever know if it was ever really 'in date' in the first place. I could name countless retired but currently, Lahm and Mascherano are two of the best in the world and both small guys. The best in the world imo is Busquets who is 6'2", but he is a freak, genuinely one of the best players at his job I've ever seen. Mascherano isn't that far behind him though, despite being 5 inches shorter. Height or mass or whatever way you want to put it isn't very relevant. Both equal ability, a bigger player will be preferable all the time, but smaller players will more often than not have an edge in ability due to the lower centre of gravity and better co-ordination. Let's look at last years top 4 in the premiership as an example:

Arsenal: Coquelin: 5'10"

Man City: Fernandinho: 5'10"

Chelsea: Matic 6'4"

United: I actually don't know who's considered the default DM? Fellaini is a giant I know but Blind is 5'11" and Schneiderlin is 6'1" I believe.

This whole 'Coquelin is way smaller than Viera and therefore not good enough' is just wrong. I'd actually wager if you put the top 20 defensive midfielders in a list, there would be more below six foot than above it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Love this. Nothing wrong with having that much confidence in your own ability

Ask Bendtner :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah I agree that the whole argument that Arsenal get bullied and outmuscled is so lazy and outdated. Arsenal have a few problems in their team, but being bullied isn't one of them. Coquelin isn't a weakness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

think you boys need to watch mnf again

It's not September yet, would anyone say we're gonna win the league?
    Other than mentals the answer is no, so it's been a bad summer.

However, Id take no signings this summer if we could get rid of Kroenke and get someone in that wants to invest in the club.

Completely agree. Wenger takes the heat, but kronke has given absolutely nothing to the club.

How arsene is still in a job and how he is still being supported in this thread is lunacy

Put yourself in kronkes shoes. You've got a manager who achieves his targets of champions league qualification every year. With minimum spend. Results in more revenue for the club and a huge cash surplus.
    Why would you replace him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Put yourself in kronkes shoes. You've got a manager who achieves his targets of champions league qualification every year. With minimum spend. Results in more revenue for the club and a huge cash surplus.

Ya it's a crying shame the way the club is being run there must be something holding wenger back this summer? Surely even he must see this was the summer to strengthen to be a title contender?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I don't know about that as a businessman I'm sure Kronkes main goal is to make as much revenue as possible.

He's clearly not an idiot and would realise being successful would bring much more cash and that would be his aim as well as the boards.

Just because he's silent don't mean he's a fool or satisfied with his lot. When has a billionaire ever been known to say sure I have enough don't give me more please.

Ya it's a crying shame the way the club is being run there must be something holding wenger back this summer? Surely even he must see this was the summer to strengthen to be a title contender?

Yes, I think he has attempted (or is attempting) to pull off something big. Despite all the whinging and moaning here, this is the man who has brought in Ozil and Alexis over the last couple of years. Would these players have come in if Wenger had been replaced? I highly doubt it.

In his interview yesterday, he basically said that FFP has failed and Arsenal can't compete with the likes of Chelsea, City and PSG who will pour surplus money into the club when they want. He also said that arsenal's lack of spending this summer isn't due to lack of funds. He has the money, and I feel he will spend, even if he can't get his ideal targets.

I don't know about that as a businessman I'm sure Kronkes main goal is to make as much revenue as possible.

He's clearly not an idiot and would realise being successful would bring much more cash and that would be his aim as well as the boards.

Just because he's silent don't mean he's a fool or satisfied with his lot. When has a billionaire ever been known to say sure I have enough don't give me more please.

He's no fool of course, but how successful have his US sports teams been? His basketball team the denver nuggets have never won a title. Or been to the nba finals. His ice hockey team the colorado avalanche have not won the Stanley cup in 24 years. Almost as long as Liverpool. The St. Louis Rams haven't even made the playoffs since 2004.
    He's not concerned with trophies. Just the finances being stable. Also how much would he have to invest to get to increase the value of arsenal to him? 100m?nah, Chelsea and city are both trying to put 150m into their teams this season. Rodgers has spent 300m since joining Liverpool. Van gaal nearly the same on United. Kronke sees this spending and sees us keeping up with 4th while spending 10m and he's over the moon.
    He's never invested anything into the club apart from when he bought the shares.
    He's unlikely to want to change that.

• Advertisement

Whatever the reasons are it's very frustrating that we seem to be close and then are brought back down to earth with a bump

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement