Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs boost for Limerick as Vistakon announces €100m investment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Good news but sounds familiar to this:

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/contact-lens-company-jobs-limerick-753547-Jan2013/

Actually, now that I'm looking at it, it seems the exact same?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

davo2001 wrote: »
    Good news but sounds familiar to this:

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/contact-lens-company-jobs-limerick-753547-Jan2013/

Actually, now that I'm looking at it, it seems the exact same?!

Yes its true, I work there. Each of those expansions went ahead. You can see the current buildings being built along with the land cleared for expansion should you drive by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Really goes to show that Dell made an awful mistake leaving Limerick!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mc Love wrote: »

They didn't leave Limerick. There's still around 1000 people working there. They did however outsource their manufacturing to Foxconn. It's cheaper than manufacturing in Limerick. It was pretty bad for Limerick, but definitely wasn't a mistake from Dell position.

They didn't leave Limerick. There's still around 1000 people working there. They did however outsource their manufacturing to Foxconn. It's cheaper than manufacturing in Limerick. It was pretty bad for Limerick, but definitely wasn't a mistake from Dell position.

Oh i know that, the manufacturing is what I meant when you see J&J investing a lot of money in manufacturing in the area, compared with dell pulling out, and sure you might save some money by outsourcing but quality suffers as a result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

The profit margins on Computer Hardware have been cut dramatically over the last 10 years.
    Dell had to cut the cost of manufacturing

The margins on contact lenses are most likely still very healthy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That kind of manufacturing can be done cheaper and as good/better elsewhere. We are good at things like food, medical devices, pharma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

road_high wrote: »
    That kind of manufacturing can be done cheaper and as good/better elsewhere.
    We've had a slew of badly screwed together dells at work. They need to dial it back a notches on whatever corner cutting they are making wherever they are now!

We've had a slew of badly screwed together dells at work. They need to dial it back a notches on whatever corner cutting they are making wherever they are now!

I know from experience that quality was well down the list of priorities in EMF3. It was numbers, numbers, numbers. Get them out the door even if they weren't all working correctly.

I know from experience that quality was well down the list of priorities in EMF3. It was numbers, numbers, numbers. Get them out the door even if they weren't all working correctly.

They still wanted quality even with the numbers as stuff had been sent back countless times.

• Advertisement

They still wanted quality even with the numbers as stuff had been sent back countless times.

I worked there and beat my head against the wall repeatedly trying to stop them purposely shipping stuff that they knew was faulty so that numbers could be gotten. I was ignored even when I emailed senior managment. They simply didn't care as long as they were shipping record numbers.
    The quality from China will be no worse than it was in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I've had two of those chinese laptops and they're no worse than Limerick but they are cheaper.

I worked for Dell when younger and I remember all the laptops coming back to Emf2. At one stage there was a meeting to decide where to even put them they were coming back. Hadn't even reached some customers just pulled from transit.

Dell was not exactly skilled labour. J&J mostly is from what I see because they hire graduated for technical roles.

Dell left for cheap labour. It was just assembly after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Berty wrote: »
    Dell left for cheap labour. It was just assembly after all.

That is what we need in Limerick though, a good old fashioned unskilled box making factory for the masses of undereducated needing employment. That's why Dell was great, everyone could get a job there, you had to be a complete buffoon not to be able to get a job back then. The Dell bus was great, no excuses to miss work.

Not really, a highly automated facility expanding doesn't at all show if Dell moving was mistake, the Dell share price, turnover and profit figures would be more indicative.

Limerick might need unskilled jobs for the masses but what you need isn't always what you get.

Regeneron is a huge asset to limerick btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Is it best to apply for positions through the Vistakon website or a recruiter on Irishjobs does anyone know?

Is it best to apply for positions through the Vistakon website or a recruiter on Irishjobs does anyone know?

Recruitment agent afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Recruitment agent afaik.

Thank you

Advertisement