Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live?

Options
  • 16-06-2015 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm going to be in Waterford for the next 2 weeks while I trial a position with a company. They're putting me up while I'm there but hopefully, I'll need to be moving down there afterwards. Where is a good place in the city that I should be looking to move to? Commuting isn't much of an issue for me as the job is only just outside the city but I do have kids, am a single father and would like somewhere nice that I could have them stay when it's my "turn". Ideally somewhere quiet, not rough. Central enough and proper internet access.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Proper internet access? Oh now, you better get a room in the WIT computer faculty! :pac:

What's your budget, rent or buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 movingsoon

I'm looking on Daft and seeing plenty within my budget. About €500-€550 a month. It's a minimum wage job so if I can get rent and bills paid with ~2 weeks wages I'll be flying it, only bills I expect are rent and internet as I refuse to pay for sky/upc. So basically anywhere that won't particularly expose the kids to unwarranted behaviour. An apartment will suit me grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Just throwing this out there, but I wonder would the apartments opposite the Hospital suit the OP? I have no experience of them personally, but they look decent, aren't huge places so could be within budget, is central enough and hasn't got a hugely negative element around it that I'm aware of.

What are they called?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Ardkeen woods I think

• Advertisement

Area's I've bookmarked are: John Street, St John's Park, Penrose Lane, Johnstown Bridge, Scotch Quay, James Street, Mary Street, Adelphi Quay, Hennessy Quay, Park Road, Canada Square, John's Hill and Wellington Square.

Opinions on any of those areas welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Stay away from Scotch Quay! Jaysus!

Penrose Lane is great if you work late at night in the 'massage' industry!

John's Hill is surely okay.

Adelphi Quay wouldn't be too bad, a friend of mine lived there.

I used to live in Canada Square and it was fine, especially if you are in your twenties etc.

mozattack wrote: »
    Stay away from Scotch Quay! Jaysus!

Penrose Lane is great if you work late at night in the 'massage' industry!

John's Hill is surely okay.

Adelphi Quay wouldn't be too bad, a friend of mine lived there.

I used to live in Canada Square and it was fine, especially if you are in your twenties etc.

So, John's Hill, yay or nay?

I'm mid 30's and wouldn't be averse to a predominantly 20's area, would just be worried that noise would disturb the kids on weekends as that's when they'll mostly be there. I'm assuming that would rule out Canada Square and its environs!?

Job is in the Kilbarry area, btw, so any recommendations out around that way would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

movingsoon wrote: »
    So, John's Hill, yay or nay?

I'm mid 30's and wouldn't be averse to a predominantly 20's area, would just be worried that noise would disturb the kids on weekends as that's when they'll mostly be there. I'm assuming that would rule out Canada Square and its environs!?

Infirmary apartments are good --- gated community - mostly professionals - lovely gardens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Area's I've bookmarked are: John Street, St John's Park, Penrose Lane, Johnstown Bridge, Scotch Quay, James Street, Mary Street, Adelphi Quay, Hennessy Quay, Park Road, Canada Square, John's Hill and Wellington Square.

Opinions on any of those areas welcome.

I've lived in St. John's Park, Scotch Quay, Canada Square and Penrose Lane in the past and of those only John's Park would be suitable for you I would say.

I'll put it this way, I lived in all those areas while in my 20's and they were great, then I lived in John's Park, had a family so moved to the Dunmore Road and wouldn't move back to any of them if I could help it. That's not a knock on John's Park by the way, the house was just too small for our needs.

Looking at Google Maps, there are no houses on Park Road (the road between the park and De La Salle College) but if you hated traffic that area gets clogged at peak times because of all the schools.

Adelphi Quay always looked nicer to me than Scotch Quay and Canada Sq., but I'm sure some of the same problems might occur, like late parties, dampness, crap storage heating.

To be honest, and I know I'm generalising but anywhere down around the bridge like James Street and Mary Street I always avoided renting in because Irish seems to be a minority there, a few dodgy characters around at night and drunks and scumbags around during the day looking for money for bus fares etc.

Don't know much about Wellington Square but it's central and in off the main road so could be worth a look.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Do you have your own transport or would u be relying on public transport?

sillysocks wrote: »
    Do you have your own transport or would u be relying on public transport?

Have my own car. No issues there, bar getting somewhere with parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Tbh with a car everywhere in Waterford city is central enough imo. The city center is small and easy accessible from any direction within minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Meh, Scotch Quay isn't that bad. Like everything, experiences vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

I've lived in St. John's Park, Scotch Quay, Canada Square and Penrose Lane in the past and of those only John's Park would be suitable for you I would say.

I'll put it this way, I lived in all those areas while in my 20's and they were great, then I lived in John's Park, had a family so moved to the Dunmore Road and wouldn't move back to any of them if I could help it. That's not a knock on John's Park by the way, the house was just too small for our needs.

Looking at Google Maps, there are no houses on Park Road (the road between the park and De La Salle College) but if you hated traffic that area gets clogged at peak times because of all the schools.

Adelphi Quay always looked nicer to me than Scotch Quay and Canada Sq., but I'm sure some of the same problems might occur, like late parties, dampness, crap storage heating.

To be honest, and I know I'm generalising but anywhere down around the bridge like James Street and Mary Street I always avoided renting in because Irish seems to be a minority there, a few dodgy characters around at night and drunks and scumbags around during the day looking for money for bus fares etc.

Don't know much about Wellington Square but it's central and in off the main road so could be worth a look.

Hope this helps!

Great advice, here.

Wellington Square is OK. I lived up around there a couple of years back. Quiet enough, some families living there and very little hassle.

I looked at an Apartment on Mary Street a few months back. An Eastern European gentleman was having an argument with his girlfriend and trying to break the door down. Even apart from that, it seems rough enough, as places go.

Penrose Lane is a ****hole. Avoid like the plague.

Like said here, Scotch Quay and Canada Sq. are noisy. Canada Square will have a few students come September, too.

There's a fair chance you'll pick up a small 2 bed house on Barrack Street for €400 or €450. Check the local papers. Check notice boards in Supermarkets etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I'd set out a similar budget of in and around 500 pm myself a few weeks back when I moved. I couldn't find anywhere decent for it, the usual overpriced apartments etc.

I ended up increasing my budget to 600 pm and ended up finding a lovely townhouse. Right now on daft there is 2 lovely houses, one 2 bed bungalow by the hypermarket which is very central, the other is a another 2 bed house in newtown by the park, again very central.

If you can afford the extra few quid their both well worth a look. Its worth it for that bit more privacy you get from being out of an apartment block IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Stay away from Scotch Quay, Adelphi Quay, Park Rd, and Canada St area. It's not a nice place to have a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭AnneSam

Dunmore road, earlscourt, really fantastic place to live esp with kids great neighbourhood and convenient. Watch out for electric bloody storage hearing though, got killed in bills last winter with the nuisances of it and the place was still cold!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Nothing but ****holes full of junkies, alcoholics and tramps that have no concept of night and day and the different noise levels expected in both, mentioned in this thread. How anyone can recommend to someone to live in them flats is a joke.

Better off to just mark them all off your list.

Anne is the only person to give good advice.

Another great spot is ferrybank but a bit of a walk or cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Might be worth checking out Waterpark apartments, they're quite nice and quiet area esp for when the kids are with you. Saw one advertised there lately. Or there's a one bed advertised in Newtown on daft but not sure if you need more bedrooms than that.

sillysocks wrote: »
    Might be worth checking out Waterpark apartments, they're quite nice and quiet area esp for when the kids are with you. Saw one advertised there lately. Or there's a one bed advertised in Newtown on daft but not sure if you need more bedrooms than that.

Would need 2 as a minimum, 3 would be grand but ideally 4.

Whats the budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

If you have kids, stay way from almost everywhere mentioned so far, apart from estates with other kids.

Ideally you need an estate, you kids will make friends and want to visit. I'd suggest somewhere in Tramore, most of the estates are fine and you'll find plenty for the kids to do.

If you have kids, stay way from almost everywhere mentioned so far, apart from estates with other kids.

Ideally you need an estate, you kids will make friends and want to visit. I'd suggest somewhere in Tramore, most of the estates are fine and you'll find plenty for the kids to do.

Problem is the Poster isn't bothered answering peoples questions so people have no idea what he needs.

Problem is the Poster isn't bothered answering peoples questions so people have no idea what he needs.

The poster has spent the entire weekend both working and traveling up and down to Limerick so having time to reply has been difficult but I do appreciate everybody's input here.

Won't be making firm decision about moving for about 2 weeks anyway. A 2 bed place would suffice but fast broadband is a must. I know UPC is available pretty much all over the city and that would be ideal, but would be concerned that that's not out in Tramore. Even efibre would be lovely. Alls I'm lookin for is a nice neighborhood, €650 a month or less and good broadband. Everything else should look after itself.

The poster has spent the entire weekend both working and traveling up and down to Limerick so having time to reply has been difficult but I do appreciate everybody's input here.

Won't be making firm decision about moving for about 2 weeks anyway. A 2 bed place would suffice but fast broadband is a must. I know UPC is available pretty much all over the city and that would be ideal, but would be concerned that that's not out in Tramore. Even efibre would be lovely. Alls I'm lookin for is a nice neighborhood, €650 a month or less and good broadband. Everything else should look after itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Most of the estates inTramore have efibre available AFAIK.

• Advertisement

What part of the city is the Job? Could be a huge factor.

Also id double check the broadband in Tramore. I know people who live there who do nothing but complain about the service out there.

UPC has the best broadband in the country and most of the city is serviced by it.

Advertisement