Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't find a rental in Dublin

Options
  • 16-06-2015 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

My husband and I moved from the US 2 weeks ago, we've been staying in an AirBNB while we search for a house or an apartment. We've found 3 that we submitted references to, have been told by the letting agents that our references were outstanding and then it comes down to it, we don't get the property. We usually get the "Due to interest in this property the owner has decided on another party". We do have a dog, but the 3 places we've looked at were pet friendly and the letting agents said that there was no problem there.

Is there anything more we can do to stand out to these landlords? We've got only 12 more days in our AirBNB, have a more than adequate bank balance (we could both lose our jobs and be fine for a year).

We're trying to stay in Dublin 4, 6 or 8, maybe parts of 12.

Do we offer more than asking price per month? Do we offer to pay a couple months up front?

The way the renting process is in Dublin versus the States is completely different and we're still trying to wrap our heads around it, especially with as much competition we've had at each showing.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Don't offer over asking, or to pay up front. You're just screwing yourself there.

It's a bit of a lottery to be honest. When you go to a viewing bring references with you and be in a position to say yes or no by the end of the viewing. All the better if you are in a position to put down a deposit too.

You'll get something, just keep at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Try D14 or D16?? Close to the Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To be brutally honest- it doesn't matter that the property is 'pet friendly'- 95% of landlords will pick someone else if you have a dog.
    You're also automatically excluded from all apartments/condos- which will inevitably have 'no pets' rules (to the best of my knowledge- any apartment/condo buildings built since 1996 will have 'no pets' rules in their charters- its standard.)

The parts of Dublin that you're looking at- are the areas of highest demand- and supply is seriously constrained (overall- but esp. in these areas). For every property that comes available- there could well be 20-30 people interested in taking it.

Best bet- is look further afield- I'd suggest possibly even as far out as Lucan/Leixlip/Celbridge- you have public transport- and you're more likely to find a dog friendly property too. In addition- prices are a lot more reasonable that D4/6/8/12 (though still remarkably expensive).

Rentals are in seriously short supply- you need to broaden your search. Limiting it to D4/6/8/12 - could very well mean you end up with nowhere to go to in 12 days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

I wouldn't be offering over the asking price but if you have enough of a cash flow to pay two months upfront with the deposit that will definately get you noticed and I don't see the harm in it. The rental market here is crazatmt the moment worst I've ever seen it good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

NateB wrote: »
    My husband and I moved from the US 2 weeks ago, we've been staying in an AirBNB while we search for a house or an apartment.
    Pet friendly apartment = allows cats.
    Pet friendly house = may allow dogs.

With this in mind, ensure you let the EA know what sort of dog. IE; old small dog may not be as much of a worry to someone. Also, look around the commuter towns such as Leixlip and Celbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

will the two of you be working, and if so, where?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NateB

Idbatterim wrote: »
    will the two of you be working, and if so, where?

I work remotely for my company in the US, atleast for now. My husband is looking for a job, he was previously a Pastry Chef in the US, so being closer to the city is needed as we have no plans on getting a vehicle here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

NateB wrote: »
    I work remotely for my company in the US, atleast for now. My husband is looking for a job, he was previously a Pastry Chef in the US, so being closer to the city is needed as we have no plans on getting a vehicle here.

There are plenty of restaurants and bakeries all over Dublin- where a pastry chef might find work. The artisan bakery next door to Collins Butchers in Lucan village (hop on a no. 25 bus from Merrion Square and have a look)- literally across the road from where I live have a sign up looking for one- as does the artisan bakery in Ongar. Dublin is quite different from US cities- in that a far higher proportion of the population commute than would do in a US city.

If you were working from home- and your hubby is a pastry chef- your options I would argue are a lot better than you seem to think they are.

Most of Dublin's suburbs have very good internet access- I have a fibre optic 250Mb connection to my door- for which I pay less than 50 a month for example- and most of the county of Dublin is exactly the same. High Speed Internet access in Ireland- is far better than in the States (and far cheaper too). No problem running VPNs etc on home links- I do it almost on a daily basis- and for casual browsing- a lot of the towns and villages have free wifi links- or you can use your own 4G connections- which are also competitively priced.

I really don't think you have studied your options fully to be quite honest with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NateB

Thanks all for the feed back. We ended up finding a really nice place in Harold's Cross. We ended up avoiding letting agencies and dealing direct with landlords and we found a really reasonable landlord. We got the approval for the property 3 hours before we were planning on buying return tickets to the states.

• Advertisement
Advertisement