Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predict Points for Course?

Options
  • 16-06-2015 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I am hoping to study Architecture next year, possibly in UCD, but would like to know the expected points before paying for an accommodation deposit!

Last year, they were 490. Architecture has had a 15.77% increase in first choice preference this year however. Is anyone able to make an educated guess on how that increase will change the points- could it be likely that it could jump up 30 points? More? Less?

I am a bit worried as 500 is very near a realistic limit at the minute, and the deposit is not cheap. I don't want my parents to pay out that money if I won't get the points. Being realistic, I will not get 520. But will a 15.77% increase be likely to effect the points by that much?

I know it is impossible to say with any real certainty and you may think I should just pay the deposit in case I get fortunate and scrape the points. But I'm trying to be realistic. So if anyone can help predict what points are likely I'd be really grateful!!

Thanks,
    Ryan :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

RJMortimer wrote: »
    Hi,

I am hoping to study Architecture next year, possibly in UCD, but would like to know the expected points before paying for an accommodation deposit!

Last year, they were 490. Architecture has had a 15.77% increase in first choice preference this year however. Is anyone able to make an educated guess on how that increase will change the points- could it be likely that it could jump up 30 points? More? Less?

I am a bit worried as 500 is very near a realistic limit at the minute, and the deposit is not cheap. I don't want my parents to pay out that money if I won't get the points. Being realistic, I will not get 520. But will a 15.77% increase be likely to effect the points by that much?

I know it is impossible to say with any real certainty and you may think I should just pay the deposit in case I get fortunate and scrape the points. But I'm trying to be realistic. So if anyone can help predict what points are likely I'd be really grateful!!

Thanks,
    Ryan :)
    Can't help you, where did you find that statistic though?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RJMortimer

It was in one of the papers after the first round of CAO choices closed. So more people may have put it down since then, or taken it off (less likely).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You have 2 unknowns here:

a) the points for the course;

b) your points when results are out.

You don't know either, nor won't until August.

It's never a nice situation, I know, but realistically no-one can answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RJMortimer

I know, but I thought an estimate could be made by the information I gave? I'm sure it can be done roughly, if someone had access to that past information, for example how the first choice preference numbers in 2014 effected the 2014 points compared with 2013, etc.

I know the points will be higher than 490, as there has been an almost 16% increase in first choice preference. I think I will get around those points. I don't know what impact that 16% will make- is it enough to put me out of a chance?

I would even be pleased with a brutally honest answer, if its informed and honest! :)

Don't want to pay this deposit if I have no realistic chance of achieving the points.

Advertisement