Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chris Evans confirmed as new TOP Gear presenter

Options
  • 16-06-2015 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Chris Evans is the NEW presenter of Top Gear, he's signed a three year deal with the beeb! http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33158464

Should be epic!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I don't know. Have I Got News For You survived the loss of Angus Deayton, but it kept Merton and Hislop, and the chemistry between the three didn't really make the show. Not sure if this will work. TBH, could be a poisoned chalice for Evans. Even if he is an obvious choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Who's going to be with him is the key to whether it'll work or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There are so many variables regarding success or failure. He could be great, the co-stars could be ****e - Nick Grimshaw could yet be one of them. The actual production values and technical side might be done on the cheap from here on. They might drop or add features that are better or worse...who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

It could go this way. May leads the show that is focused towards everyday drivers, like TG was when it was just Clarkson. Hammond is there for the off road kinda stuff as he likes those type of vehicles. Evans comes along for a 10 minute segment, open to negotiations, about the sports cars and expensive stuff. Just an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

gumbo1 wrote: »
    It could go this way. May leads the show that is focused towards everyday drivers, like TG was when it was just Clarkson. Hammond is there for the off road kinda stuff as he likes those type of vehicles. Evans comes along for a 10 minute segment, open to negotiations, about the sports cars and expensive stuff. Just an opinion.
    Are Hammond and May staying? What I've seen so far indicates not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nope they have resisted the offer made by the BBC to continue.

Anyway expect ITV/Netflix/Whoever to make a move soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hammond and May are both out, looks like it will be either 2 other presenters or a series of weekly guests..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I frakking hate that ginger twat...and I'm a ginger too.

That's what I thought.

It might have survived one host change. I think three is too many. Especially if Hammond/May/Clarkson get an offer elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,408 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Shaun Ryder as co star would be entertaining :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Russel Brand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,561 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

TBH it needed a good shake up anyway.
    If you stumbled across any recent episode of TG it could have been from and of the last seven years, same crack over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Truly sad day for Top Gear. Move for Evans show's that the Beeb are now intent on cementing the Top Gear platform as car based light netertainment rather than a true petrol heads car show. I'll happily admit that the Boy Evans has a rather incredible collection of cars but he never has come across as a true petrol head and more so a top trumps 'I love my Ferrari' character and dont start me on him onscreen. What you had with the two previous incarnations were groups of proper petrol head automotive journalists who worked their way up the business rather than a radio celebrity who deceided to turn his hand to reviewing cars. I could never imagine Evans expressing a decent respect for the everyday warriors like Fast Fords, the GT86 or hot hatches.

Only hope now is that the Beeb are content with their big marquee signing, ala Clarkson, and make a move for a pair of co-presenters who dont bring the same large personality but a large level of knowledge in the automotive journalism field. Please, please, please Mr. BBC can we get Chris Harris on Top Gear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CianDon wrote: »
    rather than a radio celebrity who deceided to turn his hand to reviewing cars

Is that not exactly what happened with Hammond?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Myrddin wrote: »
    Is that not exactly what happened with Hammond?

I wouldnt exactly call working on BBC regional channels much of a celebrity status. Besides, had worked on Men & Motors for a year or two before taking the Top Gear audition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

TDI Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

he is a twat that thinks he is funny
    no more top gear for me
    i only watched it for the banter between the three lads

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Redniallers

James may has given him a thumbs up on Twitter...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Evans eh? A bigger car crash than Clarkson waiting to happen. Pun intended.

They can call it Top Gear, but it wont be Top Gear.

Meanwhile I see discrete 'coming soon' trailers for the run-out episodes of Clarkson, Hammond and May are appearing on BBC2. That should be depressing. I presume they will be presented in the 'specials' format rather than studio links, considering they are no longer employed!

I won't be watching Top Ginger, but I look forward to whatever format Clarkson, Wilman, Hammond and May fetch up on. Hopefully the paymasters don't meddle too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not an Evans fan - cemented by that TGI Friday reunion or whatever it was last week on C4 - so I won't be watching the "new" TG as what made it work for 20 seasons is the banter between the 3 lads.

I never understand the complaints that it's not a "real" car show - it's not meant to be! It hasn't been in over a decade.. it's an entertainment show featuring cars and an extremely successful one at that.. hence why the BBC is trying to keep it going, but without the 3 lads I can't see it working.. TG in name only.

If Clarkson, May, Hammond (and Andy Wilman, who I seem to remember leaving as well) show up elsewhere, I expect "new" TG to go the same route as "new" Coke...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 KevinMunster12

Never seen him before presenting, ill make up my mind when I watch him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Realistically if its gonna succeed it needs a total overall. best thing really would be to lose the top gear name and start fresh with who ever. keeping the brand and same format people are gonna watch with certain expectations and i reckon that has a fair chance of fallin flat on its face

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It could be you.

Chris Evans just said on The One Show that they will be holding open auditions for co-presenters. They will release more details of how to apply on his show in the morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Disappointing choice, very predictable. He may have car knowledge, but it's his personality that's irksome. His ego is on a par with Clarkson's and in that sense they've replaced like with like, but at least Jeremy could be entertaining.

He's already suggesting having Clarkson, Hammond and May appear to do the sofa and star in a reasonably priced car. Thats a bit like going to someone else's house and telling them you're going to redecorate it. He really is an egotistical ginger t**t.

Actually, it'd be very interesting to see their lap times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I remember saying that ages ago, they should put each of the trio on the other chair & let them do a lap it'd be great viewing.

Evans stirring it yesterday that Richard Bacon would be one of the co-presenters. Another former Big Breakfast c0ck of the highest order. I think a dignified burial for TG would be better than this appalling vista.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The presenter-stirring is reaching a new level of turbulence: the Daily Mail has a new name today. Hmm. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement