Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The usual childminder question

Options
  • 16-06-2015 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Is it too much to expect to find a childminder who will pick up one child after a half-day in creche, drive across town to collect a second child from school and then mind the children until 17.20?

I would use a creche no problem but if either child is sick you are goosed with work.

There seems to be no regular list/register anymore so the advice is to put an ad online. Seems too casual and unregulated for me.

You'd wonder whats the point in both parents working... but anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I got someone indirectly through the waterford childcare commitee, well worth a call. Same thing 2 kids, creche and school.

http://www.cccw.ie

Email them for a full list of registered minders.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mozattack wrote: »
    Hi there,

Is it too much to expect to find a childminder who will pick up one child after a half-day in creche, drive across town to collect a second child from school and then mind the children until 17.20?

I would use a creche no problem but if either child is sick you are goosed with work.

There seems to be no regular list/register anymore so the advice is to put an ad online. Seems too casual and unregulated for me.

You'd wonder whats the point in both parents working... but anyway.

im afraid childcare in ireland is pretty much a disaster, always has been and always will be as we kinna dont want to change it or we re truly not willing to stand up and damned it to change, like a lot of things in this country. i feel for parents in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

It's not too much and it's not hard to find. Have you tried advertising the job?

The one problem I had when working in childcare was parents didn't seem to understand they have to pay properly for the service. A qualified childcare assistant isn't the same as a babysitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

PucaMama wrote: »
    The one problem I had when working in childcare was parents didn't seem to understand they have to pay properly for the service. A qualified childcare assistant isn't the same as a babysitter.

this is a very good point. we have got to stop thinking cheapification is a good thing

Advertisement