Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Gaiman's American Gods - [Starz]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Wasn't sure what to make of it, really. Don't know the material and when I first heard of it I figured Gods was a reference of Norse figures, with a contemporary slant. Seemed to be delivered pretty well, a good deal of set up, as per most pilots. Can't recall if Hannibal was similar on that front. Whether I want to spend time with these characters, I shall see. The buffalo with flaming eyes felt like a call back to the black elk in Hannibal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I really don't know, found it kind of naff. I also find Gaiman kind of naff so there's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭conorhal

Birneybau wrote: »
    I really don't know, found it kind of naff. I also find Gaiman kind of naff so there's that.

It's naff. Worse, it's deeply irritating.

Gaiman writes really well. But I hated Shadow Moon. He's an utterly passive character, he has zero agency and it's very off putting. Each chapter is individually great but they add up to less then the sum of their parts (as I personally find is so often the case with Gaiman's writing) because the central narrative is almost non existent and the main character has nothing to do but witness it and fulfill the agency he's allotted by what the plot needs him to do.

As for the series. Bryan Fuller has gone full Zach Snyder in this. American Gods is his 'Sucker Punch'. Style over substance, cool shots over emotional honesty and image over reality. It's both beautiful and horrible to watch, because it's so pretty but feels so hollow.
    All that is compounded by a soundtrack and score that never, ever stops. It relentlessly tells you what and how to feel. There's not a pause, a break or a moment when the score lets you digest what's happening or think for yourself or, frankly, feel anything.

The entire first episode was a wash of imagery and white noise. It was the MTV version of American Gods in that it feels like a 60 minute music video and it fails where Gaiman failed and then some, probably because, like Zach Snyder's 'Watchmen', it sticks so dogmatically and religiously to the novel that it just feels inert, like homage rather then storytelling.
    I'm out. The only good thing about this show is the class that Ian McShane brings to everything he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Well, Numero 2 was a little better... Peter Stormare is always entertaining...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's definitely a slick, stylishness to the whole thing so far, but I think that's a fair approach: given the subject of old gods living in modern times, it feels appropriate that a certain lavishness - to the point of ostentation - be applied to the series itself. After all, that's what gods appreciated back in the day - colour, pageantry and style, albeit usually through the medium of gold & architecture.

The second episode definitely felt like just that, a follow-up to gently ease the viewer & Shadow into this world he has stepped into. That first scene was pretty incendiary though, really driving home the capriciousness of these gods...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Never heard of the books but there was a bit of hype about the show so I watched about 3/4 of the first episode before realising it definitely wasn't for me. Naff is an apt word alright. I was hoping it would be good as I love Ian McShane, he's getting on so I hope he gets another TV role soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Renewed for a 2nd season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This could go the way of Legion if it draws out the story without delivering some smaller big-wins. Both have been renewed for second seasons and both good quality for TV... but like.. they're gonna need to think of the audience numbers or some execs are gonna lose face.

Saying that though, I thought it was really funny how they
    pulled off the bank heist
    and then it was like... No Biggie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Bit puzzled by the random, mostly sex, asides.

Stylishly done but having not read the books, I don't know if they're even vaguely related.

I loved the African spider god dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just got through the first episode.

What the **** did I just watch?

• Advertisement

Keep going. Doesn't get any less out there, but still amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Good show so far. Think it's the first time I've seen an erect penis on TV before - and twice, at that.....so far.

If people are interested and so inclined, they should track down the 10th anniversary (I believe it was) audiobook. It's a full cast read, with different people narrating that different roles, so it like an 15ish hour radio play with superb production design.

Gaiman`s audiobooks are usually superb, as he's heavily involved in all aspects, even handpicking the narrators.

Mr E wrote: »
    Just got through the first episode.

What the **** did I just watch?

Not much?

Anyway, after 3 episodes, I'm out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm struggling with it too. Main storyline is boring but the coming to america vignettes are interesting in a way.
    Will keep on watching though and maybe read the book once the season ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

How is this going down? Lot of hype it seems. Behind on so many shows so I guess I'll wait till season is over

Shane St. wrote: »
    How is this going down? Lot of hype it seems. Behind on so many shows so I guess I'll wait till season is over

It's got high production values.
    Visual effects have their own special take which works ok.
    So far it's been coasting on moments.
    Story is being vague which can be ok but will need to deliver if it's to retain audience.

It's safe enough on that though as it has been renewed for a 2nd season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,254 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was wondering and I would class it as non spoilery, but in terms of the novel are they dragging the story so far or are they making good pace?

I think it's keeping on a pretty excellent pace. What I'm wondering is how many seasons/episodes in each they're planning on doing. Realistically there's just one book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Good pace so far, 8 episodes in this season some stuff is very mismatched from the book so far the Jinn doesn't come into the book until about half way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Ah it's all a bit mental to me but will keep watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Finished episode 2 and I don't think its for me , It's just so all over the place already with little explanation why .....

Alright, so that new lighting effect they are using is cool. I think I see where they're going and it feels like the pace was given a gentle nudge.

Will see how the audience numbers look later on:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gods_(TV_series)
    0.9 -> 0.71 -> 0.716 -> ?
    Maybe they'll level off.. maybe. I mean like.. it's half way through the season, I'm guessing they'll be pushing ahead from this point.

Yeah saw the latest episode out in the wild. I thought it was really good and nice bit of humour in there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Now that one was excellent.

They handled the whole thing with as light a touch as it merited.

Not sure where they're going with her as a character yet though.
    What does redemption look like here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Best episode yet. Think i'm finally hooked on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

Excellent ep is going to be guardian angel perhaps

Anyone else reminded of The Equalizer when the opening theme of this show plays?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Anyone else reminded of The Equalizer when the opening theme of this show plays?

Reminds me of this, way too much:

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    Will see how the audience numbers look later on:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gods_(TV_series)
    0.9 -> 0.71 -> 0.716 -> ?
    Maybe they'll level off.. maybe
    Oof!
    0.9 -> 0.71 -> 0.716 -> 0.631

Maybe word of mouth can help.. maybe. They'd want to deliver something though.

Advertisement