Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Gaiman's American Gods - [Starz]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Twin peaks returned Sunday this and everything else was always gonna take a hit, five episodes before we see Mr Nancy interact with Shadow properly has me perplexed, it will be worth the wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Figures aren't too bad for a Starz show, I mean Black Sailz got 4 seasons and that has incredible production values, with an average viewership of 500K per episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ok, top performance from Gillian Anderson. The other guy had a pressence about him if that's what they're going for but the casting might be weak considering Andersons pressence is so strong.

Again, I think I'm keeping up with where they are going and what they're trying to get across. They also gave out a little of the overarching plot. Still feels like they want the audience to go do some homework without delivering a scene.

Even the
    police station mighta been a big win. They could'e done a nod to the Terminator 1 attack-the-police-station scene. The end result even looked similar.
    . Might be a budget thing though. They could be holding back for a big thing towards the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Slydice wrote: »
    Ok, top performance from Gillian Anderson. The other guy had a pressence about him if that's what they're going for but the casting might be weak considering Andersons pressence is so strong.

Again, I think I'm keeping up with where they are going and what they're trying to get across. They also gave out a little of the overarching plot. Still feels like they want the audience to go do some homework without delivering a scene.

Even the
    police station mighta been a big win. They could'e done a nod to the Terminator 1 attack-the-police-station scene. The end result even looked similar.
    . Might be a budget thing though. They could be holding back for a big thing towards the end of the season.

I though this show aired on Sunday nights. Is episode 5 out?

Edit: Yeah Ep 5 is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The overall plot has become a lot less confusing with the last two episodes (4&5)- pity the audiences don't seem to be sticking around to get to this point. I'm not sure is the Laura character supposed to be manipulative or just clinically depressed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The overall plot has become a lot less confusing with the last two episodes (4&5)- pity the audiences don't seem to be sticking around to get to this point. I'm not sure is the Laura character supposed to be manipulative or just clinically depressed?

From what I remember of the books she was a minor walk on. An addition to the show to fill the strong female character quota

tbh any scene in this without Ian McShane is just dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I want to love this and the first two episodes were incredibly intriguing but it's starting to lose me a little I have to admit.

Oof!
    0.9 -> 0.71 -> 0.716 -> 0.631
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gods_(TV_series)
    0.9 -> 0.71 -> 0.716 -> 0.631->0.666

Bit of a boost ... also :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm going to amend this and say any scene without Ian McShane, Crispin Glover or Gillian Anderson is just dull

I didn't know it was Anderson when she first appeared but thought she did a great job. Thing is she's just too old to play a deity as image obsessed as Media

Zombie wife is a pain in the hole though

Jebus the Media scenes were weird, got a laugh off the x-files star playing Starman. It's getting to the point of Poochie when are they going to get to the fireworks factory for me, all this filler is too much, McShane was practically pissing himself laughing when the bad guy walked into the room, get back on track next time please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭badabing106

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm going to amend this and say any scene without Ian McShane, Crispin Glover or Gillian Anderson is just dull

What about the guy playing the leprechaun, he's brilliant. The last episode where he came out hooting and hollering looking for his fukcing gold coin, and breaking his balls on the car door. He's a hoot and steals every scene he is in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,254 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I actually like dead wife.

What about the guy playing the leprechaun, he's brilliant. The last episode where he came out hooting and hollering looking for his fukcing gold coin, and breaking his balls on the car door. He's a hoot and steals every scene he is in

If he did something about the accent he'd be in business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Fantastic show - love the imagery, book just arrived too - can't wait to get stuck in .

Fantastic show - love the imagery, book just arrived too - can't wait to get stuck in .

Let the season end just three more episodes then read the book, book is amazing one of my favourite things to read.

The comic is out too very slow pace even slower than the show, not as good as the book neither but a great companion to either the book or show, it's by Dark Horse art is very good.

The comic is out too very slow pace even slower than the show, not as good as the book neither but a great companion to either the book or show, it's by Dark Horse art is very good.

The artwork is utter gash

Maybe I'm showing my age but digitization has destroyed comic artwork. Cheap, flat and nasty.3

It looks nothing like the sandman I'll admit that but I think it's a good representation of the characters so far, only three issues in. Not sure Dark Horse are as macabre as Vertigo would be with their creative visualisation.

Ok, lemme see..

Good:
    - Visuals: like the factory, the way the bullets were made, the colouring of the episode etc
    - The sword!
    The interplay on the betrayal and murder was done well

Eh:
    - again back with the vaguery .. I dunno
    -
    also the vaguery with the motley crew in the taxi cab .. like they're even being overly vague to each .. so little exposition

They did have the recap at the start so were able to capitalise on Gillian Anderson again..
    but she wasn't in this episode. The viewership might be alright for this one but might go downhill for the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

My uniformed opinion..

I thought E1 was totally "overcooked" It was like they took all the elements of the last few years good shows and incorporated them, including the long Start, ala Game of Thrones stylie.

E2 didn't do a lot for me either, but E3/4? owards has just been getting better and better.

I loved the dialouge in E6. The conversations between Laura and Mad Sweeney is top notch stuff. Superb bit of writing. "Shes a Lepra-cnut"
    :D
    It is really rocking a long now, I hope it keeps it up.

• Advertisement

It looks well but it's all utterly disjointed, Too many scenes that might be relevant later but are pointless now. Throwing them in to set up later events without having them any intrinsic worth now is just clumsy.

Dead wife is actually a really a good description of that character as that's about as interesting as she is in comparison to just about every other character

Cluster duck of a show, still enjoying it but mein gotts it's gone so far off the source change the name of the show or at least call it Based on American Gods, dead wife Mad Sweeney and Salim good chemistry, I am so confused on it, want to hate it but can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,254 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just noticed in this episode that Wednesday's eyes are different colours.
    Good to see Shadow finally being brought in on what's happening.
    I like the road trippers. Mad Sweeney's "Lepre-c..." line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Fantastic show - love the imagery,

Watched the first episode knowing nothing about the show and my first thoughts were that this has a very "Hannibal" feel to the imagery before realizing Brian Fuller's involvement.

Think his pacing in shows probably not everyone's cup of tea but finding it (much like Hannibal) fantastic so far. Hopefully viewship holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Five minutes into the latest episode and that's me finished with it. I nearly switched it off a few times before now but stuck with it due to the good production values. But the "pure nonsense" factor now heavily outweighs the positives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

I do wish this was a Netflix show. I think it'd be better released all at once.

Glad to see Salim back, he's a one-off character in the book.

The viewership might be alright for this one
    Nope...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gods_(TV_series)
    0.9 -> 0.71 -> 0.716 -> 0.631->0.666->0.607

I'm gonna call it budget constraints. From what I've heard yer man is supposed to be a good story-teller. So I get the feeling they're making do with the special effects they can afford.

For an Americans Gods episode..

That one had heart eh? The moments at the end were delivered well by the build up throughout the episode. Mainly how
    Mad Sweeney (the Leprechaun) was developed, revealed to have killed Laura and then brought her back

The
    glossy Ireland and England
    though..
    and where were
    all the slaves in America gone?

The way
    the cast was reused for the story
    has me thinking its more of their budget stuff. May/May not make it harder to follow.

Season Finale next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Avoid the spoilers above if you haven't seen the recent recent episode, as in tonight's. I boo boo'd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭brevity

I absolutely love this show. Some excellent story telling and amazing characters. Gonna have to check out the book...

Advertisement