Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Gaiman's American Gods - [Starz]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought the show (ironically) died a death
    once the wife came came back
    . I was fine with giving it a whole episode at the time but the show never regained its momentum after that and just seemed like a load of filler. I think in the latter half of the season it became apparent they're milking it too much, if they had just set out to tell the book in one season I think we would have ended up with a better show.

I still liked the ending though and it promises next season should be an improvement. Overall I enjoyed the season but it ended up being just "pretty good" rather than the "great" I thought we were getting after the first episode or two.

McShane aside of course, Emily Browning ended up being a highlight for me alongside Pablo Schreiber. It says a lot that you could see past those ropey Irish accents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

First two episodes didn't grab me at all, but I did read on ign by episode 5 everything kinda falls into place a bit and totally worth the watch. So I might go back and watch episode 3 and on this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Apparently, the next season of American Gods, is not out until after next years Comic Con. (Comic Con 2018)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just finished it and I have to say I just got bored about half way through. The lead is a dullard, Schreiber atrocious and dead wife irritating as hell. Anansi and Wednesday were the best of the cast.

The story itself oscillated between intriguing and tedious and despite having read the book some time ago an watched 8 episodes of this I'm still unsure of what the story really is here.

If it does a Preacher and gets a coherent story together for season 2 I might watch but I fear what audience they have had so far may not be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

First two episodes didn't grab me at all, but I did read on ign by episode 5 everything kinda falls into place a bit and totally worth the watch. So I might go back and watch episode 3 and on this weekend.

After E1 & E2, I had thought, "This is either the greatest or worst show of all time". I'm now up to S1E5 and I have to say that I've landed closer to the former than the latter. The mania of the earlier episodes has settled down. Fingers crossed for the rest of the show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Apparently, the next season of American Gods, is not out until after next years Comic Con. (Comic Con 2018)

Well the first season only came out about 6 months ago (2017)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,297 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bryan Fuller and Michael Green have left

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

Disaster. I really enjoyed season 1.

Ouch. I wonder why. Though you'd have to wonder how much Fuller can do, with Discovery seeming to become a smash hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Ouch. I wonder why. Though you'd have to wonder how much Fuller can do, with Discovery seeming to become a smash hit.

Didn't he drop out of Discovery due to this show?

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Didn't he drop out of Discovery due to this show?

Oh I didn't know he left. Is he just quitting everything now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Without googling the history, I think he dropped out of Discovery because a production delay in the new Trek show meant it conflicted with American Gods, so he chose the latter & walked. I think he only wrote the script for, or had a hand in the first / second episode. That's how I remember it, but open to correction.

I never actually finished American Gods TBH; we only caught the first two episodes, and as lush, extravagant and bonkers as it was, it just didn't grab enough to keep going.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Oh I didn't know he left. Is he just quitting everything now?
    The rumours are that he quit because he didn't get the budget he wanted - appparently the first season was very expensive (GoT level) and they wanted cuts for S2. He didn't agree, so he walked.

Fuller is a bit of a control freak - he's got a very firm vision in his head and needs his creative freedom. It's evident in a lot of his shows, including 'Hannibal' where he had a lot of room to do as he wished (evident in its very art house third season). He wasn't getting that control with 'Discovery' - there was a lot of network interference - so that's likely why he walked (or so I think - could be the 'American Gods' clash too).
    He's moving on to 'Amazing Stories', the remake of the anthology show for Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,297 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,254 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I saw somewhere that Kristin Chenoweth mightn't be back either. She was Easter.

Dunno if I'll be back either. While i watched the first season, I'm not too interested in its return

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I don't recall whether I finished the first season which means I probably didn't.

Anyway, current status of the second seems a bit messy to say the least. Link.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Pretty chaotic production by the sounds of things, wonder if this will see the light of day at all.

Bit like you Black Oil, I started it but didn't finish; an extremely lavish production but just didn't grab me and too much of an ambling, shaggy-dog tale - ala the original novel. There are too many 'prestige' TV productions out there anyway, some are bound to fall by the wayside. First world problems :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 2 trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Mr World should really come into things quickly great actor Gaiman was at the house on the rock when they were filming so should be true to canon.

I'd guess April/May for return hopefully sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Whats the latest on this?

Read the book a few weks ago, and just caught up on the TV series.

Loved it. Pure nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

Season 2 was delayed, but will continue with some new people as the gods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

From the trailer it seems a little more (if possible) stylised but in a bad way. An OTT, losing some of the dirty grittiness of the first series. Not as confident I'll enjoy it. Also, McShane is wearing a metric ****ton of makeup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Season 2 premieres on March 10th in US and March 11th everywhere else on Amazon Prime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Full trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭steve_r

First episode from Season 2 is out.

Reviews are middling. It's still so different to any other show I know on TV that I'm going to stick with it.

Too much change good episode but gods damn the SFX were poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

An OK episode but a bit muddled, I think this show has just missed the boat really, and the gap between first and season was too long.

Viewing figures for premiere are dismal, I only only there's some sort of workable closure/ending at the end of S2 rather than a cliff hanger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Renewed for a third season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Just seen that trailer above calling your own series “epic” seems a bit much imo especially when the first season hasn’t had much of a pop culture impact you have to earn titles like that over a few seasons or have a mega impact in short space of time which this show has had neither I cannot even remember the first season.

The 2 leads bashing game of thrones to big up this show is quite bad marketing aswell

Don’t think I’ll bother

Advertisement