Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Goldwings?

• 16-06-2015 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

0)I'm more trials/upright position, but I need a 2 up bike, so I'am considering a wing, they range in price from about 1500 to 18000, and I'm feelin more to the 1500 but can maybe a grand or so more?
    Any alternatives welcome given my price range

I swore they're only for oulfellas :)

If you hear of any naked ones that are clean enough and going for 1500, or fully kitted out with all the **** on them up to 3500 pm me.
    cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

As with any purchase; do your research, learn the strengths and weaknesses of the model you're interested in, and get the best you can afford (even if it does mean going beyond your budget a tad).
    Remember, you normally get what you pay for.

What sort of two-up riding were you thinking of? Long distance touring? Weekend trips? Commuting? Almost any bike can be adapted to suit two-up riding comfortably, with a little imagination.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/usedgoldwing.htm

Admittedly it's the 'elder rider' that's normally a 'Wing rider, but I've found that younger riders also enjoy the advantages of a 'Wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Chippy01 wrote: »
    As with any purchase; do your research, learn the strengths and weaknesses of the model you're interested in, and get the best you can afford (even if it does mean going beyond your budget a tad).
    Remember, you normally get what you pay for.

What sort of two-up riding were you thinking of? Long distance touring? Weekend trips? Commuting? Almost any bike can be adapted to suit two-up riding comfortably, with a little imagination.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/usedgoldwing.htm

Admittedly it's the 'elder rider' that's normally a 'Wing rider, but I've found that younger riders also enjoy the advantages of a 'Wing.

I'd have to disagree with your point that almost any bike can be adapted for 2 up riding, I think that goldwings and the larger tourers are (bmers etc) are built for that explicitly , but to answer your question, its all the above, going 2 up down the shops,into work, up to Donegal etc

cheers for the link man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Well, the 'Wing will do all of the above, more than capably.
    Touring BM's are physically smaller than Honda's flagship, but no less comfortable (so I am told).

Although I have many friends that are 'Wing riders, I didn't like the idea of carrying around all that luggage space when it wasn't needed, and also doing anything on them means hours of removing and replacing bodywork. It pays to be handy with the spanners too, as these things can be expensive when handed to a dealer for any work to be done.
    Myself, I opted for a Valkyrie instead. Installed Givi side boxes and a top box which gets clipped on when we're off on a jaunt, and removed when just out for a spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

^^
    Cheers chippy, I'm presuming they don't break down :) But you're right, I'd imagine a complete nightmare to repair at home yet alone on the fly, the deuville, with way less gear is pain in the hole to work on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

When i think Wing i think open roads ,scenery, gas stops........America..
    Bit like owning a Winnebago over here.....
    Theres plenty of sports/tourers out there ,or any BMW ...you can fit luggage to any bike thesedays....
    Wings are extremely heavy to manouvre around..but you dont reaylly notice on the move,

just my opinion...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

_wsb_501x297_DSCN1167.jpg

Would love the Mk1 model :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

What about a pan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Goldwing is a bit OTT m8, I would get an FJR1300 or CBF1000 or the like still have a blast and dont need to have a hip op to own one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I love the old GL1100 models, class bike. The newer, 1500 and 1800 'Wings are a bit much for me - if it was human, it would be Elton John playing a diamond-encrusted Steinway while wearing a Donald Duck outfit - but I'm glad I live in a world where such a thing can exist. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

GBX wrote: »
    What about a pan?

Not sure a Wing has a pan......i know they have a kitchen sink tho.......:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd imagine collectors are driving the prices of all the decent condition four-cylinder ones way up by now.

The six cylinder ones are just OTT

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A friend of mine just sold his CBF and is looking for something heavier - I thought he was nuts.
    What big tourer would you go for, for under 4k ?
    He's already had a Valkyrie, FJR, GUZZI, Soft Tail,TDM, Africa Twin, K1200GT, GS, and god knows how many others. The BMW's nearly broke him, esp the 06 K1200GT.
    How about Hinckley Triumphs - Tiger ..?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

galwaytt wrote: »
    How about Hinckley Triumphs - Tiger ..?
    For under 4 grand?
    You'll get a decent 1050 for 5 grand.

Advertisement