Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old case - need new parts

Options
  • 16-06-2015 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Hello all. I have an ancient IBM machine and I LOVE the case. Don't ask me why because I can't explain it to you. I have clickity clackity metal keyboard that I like to use with it too. It makes me happy. Its basically just for watching movies, downloading movies, browsing the internet and doing a little word processing on.....It needs an upgrade. Is it possible? Motherboard, HDD, Ram.

1. What is your budget?
    300 MAX

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Netflix, amazon, radio, typing, browsing. Really basic stuff.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    Nope. Well the case in the photos I suppose....

5. Do you need a monitor?
    No

5b. Its a TV. No idea what the resolution is but its good enough for watching films on.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    No

8. How can you pay?
    Any.

9. When are you purchasing?
    Now

Thank you all!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Looks like a grubby PS4 :pac:

Often these cases are made for one motherboard and one only, so it's unlikely without a lot of tinkering on your behalf. Have you a model number for the PC to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Grubby? Sniff. Here is a photo of the model number. I have left the dog hair on it for you. You're welcome!

Nope, not possible as far as I can tell. It's a BTX form motherboard, which is basically the flip side of ATX, the general standard. Like your right hand to your left hand.

BTX boards were discontinued in like 2006, so pretty much worthless now.

You could upgrade the processor, but they're still fairly dragging their heels and wouldn't be much good imo.

BTX form motherboard with an LGA775 socket for anyone more knowledgeable than me.

It has 1gb ram at the moment. I could upgrade to 4 (is that right?)....if I knew which type to buy...:)

That might do for a while. For movie watching anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Easy solution - just buy a much newer version of the same machine. Here for 100 euro as an example and plenty for those uses.

• Advertisement

Terrors is a much better solution :pac:

Just tell me what ram to buy. I am keeping my precious case :)

Its pretty much the exact same case? You need DDR2 UDIMM RAM, which is fairly expensive going by ebay

Fair point :) New used machine it is.....

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Advertisement