Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No idea what to do in college?

• 16-06-2015 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

this is on behalf of my sister, my sister has just completed her leaving cert and her cao is still blank. she has no idea what to do in college, however, our parents want her to go this year. she excelled at business in school however she didnt really like it. english is also a strong point.

any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

idek1 wrote: »
    this is on behalf of my sister, my sister has just completed her leaving cert and her cao is still blank. she has no idea what to do in college, however, our parents want her to go this year. she excelled at business in school however she didnt really like it. english is also a strong point.

any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

If possible she should take a year out and work. My daughter did this and decided on what she wanted after 6 months and began evening classes to make sure! That was 12 years ago and she never looked back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'd agree. There's no point in her starting a course for the sake of it and hating it or regretting her choice in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Take a year out and take the time to decide what is for her. Whether that is working, or doing a PLC/ FETAC course etc. There is no rush into third level, and remember, college isn't always for everyone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's also the option of volunteering under one of the EU sponsored programmes, where you could do something worthwhile, improve a language, learn about yourself, make great friends, learn about life, other people's lives, mature and get paid a small allowance at the same time.

Advertisement