Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless with 3 dogs

Options
  • 16-06-2015 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

My boyfriend and I are in a very difficult situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Yup. Rehome the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

OP we are not psychic, please complete your post by using the edit button.
    Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 29 paulinap

My boyfriend and I are in a very difficult situation. We had to move out of the house we were renting back in March. We've been staying with relatives but it is no longer an option. We tried our luck on daft but had no luck. Since we own 3 dogs, finding a place to rent is nearly impossible, but we'd rather sleep in a car than give up our babies.

We were looking into buying a mobile home as we have some savings, no luck. We look at places around Dublin, Meath and Louth.

Is there any options of emergency accommodation with pets? Any reasonably priced hotels that allow dogs? Any short term holiday homes available immediately?

If you have any advice, please let me know. We have nowhere to go tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

paulinap wrote: »
    My boyfriend and I are in a very difficult situation. We had to move out of the house we were renting back in March. We've been staying with relatives but it is no longer an option. We tried our luck on daft but had no luck. Since we own 3 dogs, finding a place to rent is nearly impossible, but we'd rather sleep in a car than give up our babies.

We were looking into buying a mobile home as we have some savings, no luck. We look at places around Dublin, Meath and Louth.

Is there any options of emergency accommodation with pets? Any reasonably priced hotels that allow dogs? Any short term holiday homes available immediately?

If you have any advice, please let me know. We have nowhere to go tomorrow night.

If its a choice between being homeless and giving up your dogs then its a clear decision.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If its a choice between being homeless and giving up your dogs then its a clear decision.

This, have you a relative or friend who will mind the dogs for you?

• Advertisement

Would you give up your children?

In brief, no. A search of the forum reveals lots of people struggling to find accommodation with pets and as regards hotels and holiday lets, it's peak season for the next 10 weeks or so, prices have gone through the roof.

Having dogs generally rules out apartments as they are banned in 90%+ of them, and there is a shortage of rentals in general so ruling out apartments is ruling out a large proportion of the available stock.

Sorry but I can't see an alternative to rehoming the dogs in the short term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

You could speak to a dog rescue about temporarily rehoming your dogs. Plenty of of people foster dogs until they find a new home. In this case it would simply be until you found a new home. I'd be surprised if nobody volunteered to help. People are very good in these situations.

You, your partner and the dogs all need what's best for all of you, even if that's not the same things. You and your partner will have many more options without pets, and the dogs themselves need a secure home that, no offence, you can't provide them right now.

Best of luck and look after yourself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dogs are not children, and I say that as someone who had ten pet dogs and six pet cats when I owned a house of my own.

Either find someone to take care of them with you agreeing to pay the expense, kennel them, or hand them over to a rescue and find yourself accomodation

I doubt the council would even consider you homeless as you have the dogs, and that is preventing you getting a house to rent.

What breeds of dogs are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

They are not children they're animals.
    If being sentimental will put roof over your heads tomorrow then you should keep them, but your finding out the hard facts that landlords dont want 3 dogs in their houses.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Dogs are not children, and I say that as someone who had ten pet dogs and six pet cats when I owned a house of my own.

Either find someone to take care of them with you agreeing to pay the expense, kennel them, or hand them over to a rescue and find yourself accomodation

I doubt the council would even consider you homeless as you have the dogs, and that is preventing you getting a house to rent.

What breeds of dogs are they?

They're small-medium: yorkie, Irish terrier and fox terrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

They're not your children. Yes, you love them, but the ties that bind owners and pets is not equal to that which binds parents and their kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

If you have a car, phone up several smaller town auctioneers and ask about any rural cottages for rent they may know of. Not everything is online. That's how my friend sorted a similar situation she found herself in.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Try calling some of the animal welfare places as I know some do foster animals short term when it's an emergency.
    Good luck it's a horrible situation to be in and I really do know how it feels.

mhge wrote: »
    If you have a car, phone up several smaller town auctioneers and ask about any rural cottages for rent they may know of. Not everything is online. That's how my friend sorted a similar situation she found herself in.

Thank you, the first person to actually suggest something that is not getting rid of the dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

NEWSFLASH !
    Dogs are dogs, children are young humans.
    TBH if someone can't actually see the difference it's not much wonder they end up homeless.

FFS, they're just dogs, nice pets but nothing to become homeless over. I've even eaten dog, even over rated as a meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Maybe post on Animal & Pet Issues, OP, people there are likely to know more about fostering. I'm so sorry I can't offer to foster pooch/es, my elderly dog no longer mixes well.

_Brian wrote: »
    NEWSFLASH !
    Dogs are dogs, children are young humans.
    TBH if someone can't actually see the difference it's not much wonder they end up homeless.

FFS, they're just dogs, nice pets but nothing to become homeless over. I've even eaten dog, even over rated as a meal.

What kind of heartless human being are you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Children ??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I wouldn't give up my dogs either op. My heart goes out to you, best of luck and hope you find something. You sound like a very kind person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Thank you, the first person to actually suggest something that is not getting rid of the dogs

You'll still need to find some foster options short term... But do check rural locations and local knowledge, that's where they don't mind dogs as much.

They're small-medium: yorkie, Irish terrier and fox terrier.

Neither an Irish terrier or a fox terrier would be considered small, they are on the large side of medium imo.

You need to decide how you are going to house them seperately from you so you can find accomodation.

Sentiment has no place here

What kind of heartless human being are you?

Mod Note: OP I know this is an emotive time for you but name calling will not be tolerated on here. Dogs are dogs, not children. Not everyone is emotionally attached to them as you appear to be. If you ask for advice on an open forum you have to be prepared for answers you may not like.

Please read our forum charter before posting again. Thanks.

I didn't start this thread as a discussion whether dogs are as important as children. So if you have nothing helpful to say, move on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Nowhere to go?
    Get your priorities right!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement