Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for advice

Options
  • 16-06-2015 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Looking for advise from people in the know. I have a pass degree in electronic engineering level 7 also a qualified electrician and also have a cert in automation and control. I have been looking to get into instrumentation and trying to decide whether to take three different options
    1. Go into year 3 applied physics and instrumentation in C.I.T full time course
    2. Go into year 3 applied physics and instrumentation evening course.
    3. Do the solas course instrumentation upskilling in galway its a city and guilds course.

Looking for peoples opinions which would benefit me the most .

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I work in an E & I role myself. I have some form instrumentation qualifications but to be honest most of what I have learnt about instrumentation is from hands on experience. My advice would be to consider options two different options, let's call them 4 and 5:

4) Try to get a job in a role where you would learn more about instrumentation. As a qualified electrician with a level 7 that should not be too difficult in the current climate.

5) If you are even considering returning to college full time as per option 1 go and do an accredited level 8 honours degree (you already have a level 7). There are plenty of opportunities for people with that qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

2011 wrote: »
    I work in an E & I role myself. I have some form instrumentation qualifications but to be honest most of what I have learnt about instrumentation is from hands on experience. My advice would be to consider options two different options, let's call them 4 and 5:

4) Try to get a job in a role where you would learn more about instrumentation. As a qualified electrician with a level 7 that should not be too difficult in the current climate.

5) If you are even considering returning to college full time as per option 1 go and do an accredited level 8 honours degree (you already have a level 7). There are plenty of opportunities for people with that qualification.

Thank you for reply I have applied to multiple roles all roles say I need experience so finding it difficult to land a job... Any companies you might suggest I try ??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

bucky08 wrote: »
    Thank you for reply I have applied to multiple roles all roles say I need experience so finding it difficult to land a job... Any companies you might suggest I try ??

I am a little out of the loop at the moment because the project that I am working on since last year is a quite different. We have no electrical or instrumentation contractor.

As you have pointed out everyone wants experienced people. The way I got around this was I applied for low paid summer work experience with a company that I was particularly interested in. I worked very hard and at the end of the summer I was offered a job. That was a few years ago, I have been with them ever since.

There is one well known consultancy that is manning up at present for a very large high profile project in the Dublin area. If you don't know who this is PM me. The forum charter does not allow company names to be mentioned on the forum. If I were you I would apply for some work experience with them. At the very least you will learn a lot and it will look good on your CV as well as improving your confidence in an interview.

PM received and replied to.

Thanks very much got that .. I will look into that..

• Advertisement

Thanks very much got that .. I will look into that..

Good luck!

Another decision to be made now as i have just got a job offer today for an electronics fabrication factory as an equipment tech so need to decide whether to take it or not or stick with the plan of getting a start in instrumentation.. Head melted.....

Another decision to be made now as i have just got a job offer today for an electronics fabrication factory as an equipment tech so need to decide whether to take it or not or stick with the plan of getting a start in instrumentation.. Head melted.....

The funny thing about employment opportunities is that the people that get most offers are the ones that are already employed. My policy has always been to take the best job that I am offered and then see what other opportunities become available.

True easier to get job when ya have one alright...

Advertisement