Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom POP settings

Options
  • 16-06-2015 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭

So for some reason I haven't received email on my mac for a few months now.  Hasn't bothered me to much as I get mails to my phone where I look at them first, but would rather have them all stored on my mac book
    i haven't changed any settings
    ive gone throught them a few times though and made sure they were all correct and tried setting the account up again
    nothing works
    please please help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Seve OB wrote: »
    So for some reason I haven't received email on my mac for a few months now.  Hasn't bothered me to much as I get mails to my phone where I look at them first, but would rather have them all stored on my mac book
    ive gone throught them a few times though and made sure they were all correct and tried setting the account up again
    nothing works
    please please help
    Hi Seve OB

Unfortunately eircom can't assist with devices not provided by eircom - basically we can't recommended changing settings on third party devices.

If you click on this link it will direct you to an area where another user had the same issues which got resolved via advice from "simplefi" in the fourth post to the thread (although with an Ipad) http://community.eircom.net/t5/E-mail-Online-Services/Email-on-iPad/m-p/3533/highlight/true#M393

The eircom email settings are below however this may change if you are not connecting via eircom broadband/WiFi

Mail server type:
    POP3

Incoming mail server:
    webmail.eircom.net

Outgoing mail server*:
    mail1.eircom.net

Thanks
    Al

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

nothing works
    please please help
    If you want to access your email on more than one device your really need an email address and account with a service which offers  imap such as gmail.  It is mind boggling that Eircom still do not appear to have recognised the need for am imap service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

dub45 wrote: »
    nothing works
    please please help
    If you want to access your email on more than one device your really need an email address and account with a service which offers full  imap such as gmail.  It is mind boggling that Eircom still do not appear to have recognised the need for a proper imap service.
    They do support Imap.
    352352.png

Well if they do why keep it such a secret so that even their own staff don't appear to know what's going on?

Hi dub45

eircom do not provide an Imap service

Rep seems to be talking about smtp authentication. Eircom's smtp servers don't use auth, but allow relaying for eircom networks (and some trusted Irish networks, I think)

• Advertisement

Either ways there is no excuse for the confusion and lack of information.  Nowadays most people require a proper imap service and the appropriate information and settings should be available on the Eircom website.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Either ways there is no excuse for the confusion and lack of information.  Nowadays most people require a proper imap service and the appropriate information and settings should be available on the Eircom website.
    In fairness it is. A search for 'imap' on http://support.eircom.net brings up the settings.

java wrote: »
    In fairness it is. A search for 'imap' on http://support.eircom.net brings up the settings.

But what is outlined there is not a full imap service. It is absurd to expect a customer to change their smtp settings for each location that they are in.
    Outgoing Mail
    Emails can only be sent via mail1.eircom.net if your PC/device is attached to an eircom network. If you are using another provider to connect your device to the internet you will need to use their outgoing mail servers.

It is a full IMAP service. The fact they don't allow global smtp access for relaying is a different issue. 

Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) is a communications protocol for email retrieval and storage 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Message_Access_Protocol

jd wrote: »
    It is a full IMAP service. The fact they don't allow global smtp access for relaying is a different issue. 

Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) is a communications protocol for email retrieval and storage 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Message_Access_Protocol
    What's the point of retreiving email and storing it if you can't send it without a ridiculous and unnecessary bother? Also not being able to send it without changing the smtp will surely result in your sent folder not being synced and sent mail being scattered across various devices?

They are not providing the full email service which most people now require to their customers.  In fact the whole eircom email scenario seems a bit of a disaster.  The reps here apparently don't know whats going on.  There is conflicting advice on settings on those support pages.

I attempted to set up an eircom email account for a friend who had just purchased an ipad only last week. She is now with UPC.  The eircom email service worked fine on her laptop. However she had forgotten her password and when she attempted it to retrieve it by following the instructions on the website she was receiving the message that the email address she was using was unknown?

• Advertisement

Also not being able to send it without changing the smtp will surely result in your sent folder not being synced and sent mail being scattered across various devices?
    No, the smtp server used doesn't make any difference - your imap client puts a copy in the sent items folder on the imap server (or in fact in any folder you specify if your client allows it)

Advertisement