Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garranbane speeding van location?

Options
  • 17-06-2015 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I've just received my 1st speeding fine for doing 77km in the 60km zone in Garranbane (that's the uphill bend on the N25, waterford side of dungarvan) and it's from one of the vans.
    First of all, I've no gripe with the fine and 3 points; I knew the speed limit, broke it, and got caught. So shame on me and I deserve the punishment.

My friend also got done in the same place a few months back (76km) and (wait for it...) MY MUM also got done 2 weeks ago (83km!!! Leadfoot herself!)

So here's my question: does anybody know where the exact location of this van is? It's definitely got the camera pointing in the waterford direction, as all 3 instances have shown this to be the case.
    But none of the 3 of us actually laid eyes on the van itself. I travel that road fairly regularly and have never seen a van anywhere in the 60km zone. (I've seen the traffic corps car at the top of the hill a few times, and I've seen the van parked just after you re-enter the 100km zone as you head into dungarvan, but the 60km zone isn't even visible from that location)

There are some really tight, narrow, boreen type gate entrances on your left as you head up the hill, is it in one of those? Not sure it would fit?

I'm all for safe driving btw but my understanding was that these vans were intended to be visible to act as a deterrent as well as a means to detect speeding, rather than an arranged duck shoot!

Anyone see anything I missed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If its the hill I am thinking of, I continue to be baffled about a 'fast' / climbing / overtaking lane where there is a 60 limit! It just invites people to go charging past and 'pow' the unsuspecting are caught at the top of the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It should be at least 80km/h. If the school gate was on that road I could understand it. I have seen the van off the side of the road at those houses around the corner from the turn off to Bridgie Terries but I don't think there is a hope of not seeing it. It would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.119543,-7.562307,3a,75y,198.48h,63.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0r4nJ2X6aJVN1ldIMclElQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

lertsnim wrote: »
    Unfortunately that appears to be the whole point :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

lertsnim wrote: »

Travel about 100m towards Dungarvan from that location, you will see mobile traffic lights. I've seen the plain white Garda van stopped at the gateway beside those lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Having anally examined the photos of the licence plates though I'm convinced that it's positioned on the left side of the road as you head towards waterford...
    Could be at those houses mentioned earlier but for none of us to see it? I was done at 2.30pm on a gorgeous clear day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 bobby3

Did anyone get caught on monday the 8th of this month.This is my first and dont drive too fast (my car isnt the quickest) .The weird thing is my brother also got a ticket on the same day him in the morning and me in the evening! Its seems a bit of a joke .I was barely over 70km.So many must have been caught that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

Also caught for the first time ever on Monday 8th, doing 71 or 73, around 7 in the evening.
    The photo showed my rear plate. I haven't worked out which direction I was going at the time but I was wondering why the rear plate was photographed ?
    Did not see any van at the time but don't think it was the high viz Safety van !

joebre wrote: »
    Also caught for the first time ever on Monday 8th, doing 71 or 73, around 7 in the evening.
    The photo showed my rear plate. I haven't worked out which direction I was going at the time but I was wondering why the rear plate was photographed ?
    Did not see any van at the time but don't think it was the high viz Safety van !
    You're rear plate was photograped (as was mine) coz you were driving away from the van as it clocked you.
    These vans do check the traffic in both directions but the camera only points out the back of the van. Which is why normally it's unforgivable to get caught the way you and I were because mostly we would see the van and slow down. (Or if it was facing the other way and you fail to slow then it snaps your FRONT plate if you get me.)
    Mine was 2.30pm on the 9th June.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinnyod

I got done 09/06/2015 5.29pm first ticket in 36 yrs of Driving .. gutted ..apparently it was the sneaky white van taking the snaps on that day ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

White Garda van was parked in here about two weeks ago. That's probably why no one noticed it. I always slow to 60 at that spot because I was caught there before. https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.120577,-7.5638,3a,75y,313.8h,69.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swb4Ur5YS0EtvYSBR-AyUww!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It was further down the road a few days before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

reason why that bend is so slow is because of the amount of articulated trucks jack kniving on the road over the years and if i remember correctly one even went over the ditch where the school is located

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

It's the unmarked white van that do be parked there, you'd never notice it unless you were looking. Coming from the Waterford side it do be on the right, just after the lay by where the traffic corps do be hiding. This van is always in plain sight and it tries to catch people speeding coming from Dungarvan.

This is where it usually parks

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭homecouldbhere

cococoady wrote: »
    This is where it usually parks

Was driving in co.limerick yesterday and got flashed 7/8 times before coming to this... (photo not brilliant apologies ).
    But clearly locals were well used to this stealthy boy parking up in this spot and managed to warn oncoming traffic successfully.

So there you go. These unmarked white vans are a reality unfortunately. They can park in plain site and will go unnoticed by enough drivers to make a killing wherever they park up.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So, a series of severe bends, houses, a school and limited line of sight - so bad people don't see the enforcement vehicle - but people see it as a 'right' to speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭homecouldbhere

Victor wrote: »
    So, a series of severe bends, houses, a school and limited line of sight - so bad people don't see the enforcement vehicle - but people see it as a 'right' to speed?

Please victor...do point out to me where anyone on this thread has claimed a 'right' to speed?

Seen the unmarked van parked at the bottom of the pike today about 500 meters after the turnoff for Garranbane school if your coming down the hill.

cococoady wrote: »
    Seen the unmarked van parked at the bottom of the pike today about 500 meters after the turnoff for Garranbane school if your coming down the hill.

I often wondered about that location. It's in the 100km zone immediately after the 60km zone ends.
    Does a lot of speeding really take place there?
    I've always thought the van would serve as a much better deterrent in other locations than that.

kuang1 wrote: »
    I often wondered about that location. It's in the 100km zone immediately after the 60km zone ends.
    Does a lot of speeding really take place there?
    I've always thought the van would serve as a much better deterrent in other locations than that.

It's a fairly pointless location if you ask me. If any one gets caught there they must be right tits

This is where they park at the bottom of the pike. Was there again this morning

• Advertisement
Advertisement