Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship/L1/L2 & Conference - 2015/16

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Excellent, my favourite thread, cheers grenache. Apparently the Conference now goes by the name the National League.

Stuart Gray was one of the best managers Northampton had for donkeys years. Would have him back in a heartbeat but he's too good for our level.

Northampton Town have new, international owners. An Indian consortium is buying the Cobblers. Goodness knows if it will be good or bad. Have my suspicions though. They seem as interested in the lands around the ground and the development of those as they do the football club. Oh well, time will tell.

I refuse to acknowledge Blackburn or Venkys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Blackpool Supporters Trust have submitted a proposal to "buy" the club from Oysten family.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/07/blackpool-fan-group-bid-buy-out-owen-karl-oyston-supporters-trust
    In a letter to Owen Oyston, who bought the club for £1 in 1987 and is now the major shareholder of the group of companies that own and run Blackpool, BST secretary Kevin Boroduwicz sets out a plan for what he describes as a leveraged buyout, possibly the first of its type by a fans’ group. The BST do not happen to have £16m to hand over, so the Oystons may not feel compelled to give the offer serious consideration, but after taking advice from a wide range of experienced professionals including advisers to the Portsmouth supporters’ trust and FC United of Manchester have come up with what they describe as a “creative” solution.

Basically the Oystons can keep some of the club’s assets, property and written-off loans worth up to an estimated £16m, in return for handing the stadium and the team over to the Trust. The package is not being underwritten by Valeri Belokon, the Latvian businessman who helped finance Blackpool’s promotion to the Premier League in 2010. Though believed to be sympathetic to the BST’s aims, Belokon is pursuing a financial claim of his own against Blackpool’s owners, and will not make his intentions clear until that matter is sorted out.

Good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Blackpool Supporters Trust have submitted a proposal to "buy" the club from Oysten family.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/07/blackpool-fan-group-bid-buy-out-owen-karl-oyston-supporters-trust

Good luck to them.

Not a chance it will happen. Crazy how the club is being ran. Would be no surprise to see them near the bottom of L1 this year again. If i do an away trip for coventry this year may well be Blackpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Blackpool is a **** hole. If you want to do a seaside away trip then head to Roots Hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Derby look very strong this year - possibly best team last year , who faded with the jitters - good new manager , and recruited well early - was going to stick a few bob on them but are already red hot favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Bump, thinking of having a lower leagues Lucky 15 any tips on teams that are buying all round them?

I fancy both Luton & Portsmouth in League. Unimaginative I know, but they both are building decent squads now. I thought Luton would go up last year but if they can get Craig Mackail Smith on form then I think that will give them the goals they need to get up. John Still knows his stuff.

Equally unimaginative but I'm struggling to see beyond Sheffield United for League One. Sharp & Salmon is a great strike-force for that level and they've a great manager. I like some of Bury's signings and they may be the surprise package. I think Peterborough and Bradford will be there or there abouts too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I reckon Bradford are going to struggle a bit this season. Losing Davies at the back and Stead up front is pretty huge

I'll be having a few quid on Northampton as usual, not sure I could recommend them as a bet for others though.

They have had a better pre season than results would show, have picked up a couple of good players for that league and are setting up like they are actually going to attack teams this season.

Their defence was weak last season, not sure I can see them being much stronger there this season. New goalkeeper too though, which will hopefully be an improvement.

And who knows, if this Indian deal comes off, we could be swimming in funds.......or liquidated and a tesco built on our ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Worried about Coventry this year. Summer has been very frustrating. Signed Lamerias who was in spurs academy but he could be hit or miss. Apart from that sam Ricketts from wolves and Romain Vincelot are solid if uninspiring signings.

Think it could be a very long season. Lacking Midfielders and really need a forward.

Looks like Southend will have an all ex-Shamrock Rovers strike force next season of Noel Hunt & David Mooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Wahey!!! Oldham sign David Dunn on a 1 year contract, definately making progress there we are...... :P

It's like Dean Windass all over again.:rolleyes:

Wolves signing some decent talent this summer - Conor Coady from Huddersfield for 2m, Adam Le Fondre on loan to buy from Cardiff, Sheyi Ojo on loan (not to buy!) from Liverpool,

Dicko, Afobe, Le Fondre plus Ojo makes a pretty exciting attacking 4-3-3.

Nice way for the Cobblers to start their season, away win at Bristol Rovers. 8000 plus there and 500 odd Cobblers fans. Pretty in Pink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Nice start to life in League 1 for Burton, a solid 2-1 home win over Scunthorpe.

I'm watching final score - they have actually put up a table! Its riveting viewing.

As for the football MK Dons look like they are taking to the Championship with gusto, big win for Wolves away, they apparently had the game under control once warmed up. Derby County have lost Will Hughes for a while possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Lovely day for Sheffield football today.

SWFC v2015 is absolutely stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

What the **** is this Football League show on Channel 5!? Its like a backstage X Factor after show. Jumping between divisions nonsense. I miss BBC's show already :(

Corholio wrote: »
    What the **** is this Football League show on Channel 5!? Its like a backstage X Factor after show. Jumping between divisions nonsense. I miss BBC's show already :(

Time will tell, I don't mind it, I like both the hosts, George Riley was a Rugby League reporter initially and Kelly Cates is a safe pair of hands. Guest pundit will hopefully improve.

As long as they keep the interaction with rentacrowd to a minimum I'll be happy, its the football league show, not the championship and the rest and I'd rather see the better games regardless of division. It's still mostly Championship to start with, anyway the BBC show you'd be waiting til about half past midnight to see 'some' of the goals from your league 2 team's game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Time will tell, I don't mind it, I like both the hosts, George Riley was a Rugby League reporter initially and Kelly Cates is a safe pair of hands. Guest pundit will hopefully improve.

As long as they keep the interaction with rentacrowd to a minimum I'll be happy, its the football league show, not the championship and the rest and I'd rather see the better games regardless of division. It's still mostly Championship to start with, anyway the BBC show you'd be waiting til about half past midnight to see 'some' of the goals from your league 2 team's game.

BBC had it down to what it should be - highlights, small bit of analysis about it and then more highlights. The Championship will always have a bit more time spent on it because of its status, not overdoing it of course at the same time. Why is 'some' goals highlighted?

Corholio wrote: »
    BBC had it down to what it should be - highlights, small bit of analysis about it and then more highlights. The Championship will always have a bit more time spent on it because of its status, not overdoing it of course at the same time. Why is 'some' goals highlighted?

More than once if four or five goals were scored you'd get the winner and one or two of the others. Didn't think the BBC coverage was anything to write home about and certainly not the time of day they showed it, or the fact if there was no championship matches, there was no show. Maybe channel five won't bother either, as I said, time will tell. First week, hard to know if it'll get better or worse, happy enough with it myself.

Its alright, no doubt some tweaking will take place and the hosts get comfortable with one another.

Oh yes the Doncaster v Bury game - isn't it strange and great how custom and practice can become so ingrained into the culture of a game? Forrester scores when retuning the ball to Bury after played was stopped so after a little chat-a-roo manager Dickov decided that Bury should be allowed to walk the ball in to equalise.

And there we had the mighty Cobblers!

Twitter certainly voiced their opinion on the channel 5 effort. Not keen would be one way to sum up reaction! Still sticking with my time will tell approach :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I caught the last 30/40 minutes of it and I didn't think it seemed that bad. It would be better if it finished five minutes earlier to match Match of the Days starting time but, to be fair, it was close enough not to really matter!

I think people just like complaining (not aimed at anyone here, more towards the apparent negative tweets on twitter).

Another good win for the Cobblers, comfortable three nil winners. 100% record after three games with none conceded. Let's just call the season over now please.

Wolves making heavy weather of the 2nd season, blowing a 2-0 lead at one point to lose 2-3. The defence seems to be rather at sixes and sevens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Good game between Birmingham and Derby, happy with the point for Birmingham. Very disciplined performance, not sure the team have the stamina to sit back on the counter. They were dropping deeper and deeper as the second half went on. Still a good point, a no real weak points in the team. Don't have a big squad so the team will have plenty of time to gel over the coming season.

• Advertisement

Second defeat on the bounce for Northampton, comprehensively outplayed by Plymouth today, after they went a goal down they started launching it from their own half. Its not a bad plan b, if we had adifferent team, our average height is 5ft nothing. (Bit of exaggeration, but pretty short)

Burton going nicely in League 1 so far, 2-1 home win over Peterborough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Blackburn have sacked Gary Bowyer apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Fun times at Burnley.

Sold Jelle Vossen on Monday after only signing him this summer.
    Released Marvin Sordell yesterday.
    And then today Lukas Jutkiewicz did his cruciate and will be out for months.

Andre Gray will certainly have to prove he was worth that 10 million now.

Cobblers desperate again today. Centre half badly needed and a forward. Long season at the bottom half of the table beckons otherwise.

1st defeat for Oldham, Forte sent off, not sure about Kelly now. Needs a couple of good wins after all these draws.. :(

• Advertisement

Channel 5 coverage might be crap but at least they value league 1 and 2 enough to still have it on for international weeks. I won't be watching the cobblers latest capitulation though!

Burton on TV today. :D Should be a good game, Coventry have had a decent start but if Burton win they go top.

Joke of a decision, Coventry lead 2-1.

As if I couldn't find Peterborough United any more objectionable, Steve Evans is the bookies favourite to get the managers job!

Good win today, one nil, Smith saved a penalty (God bless his off field antics at Leicester) and has been player of season by a mile so far, best keeper there for years, and played entire second half with 10 men.

• Advertisement

This is getting rediculous now, Oldham losing 5-1 at home to the posh.......someones getting sacked in the morning!!!

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    This is getting rediculous now, Oldham losing 5-1 at home to the posh.......someones getting sacked in the morning!!!

Or sacked tonight.....
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/12/oldham-sack-manager-darren-kelly

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

So, we (Southend) beat Peterborough last weekend resulting in them sacking their manager.

Now Peterborough go and beat Oldham, resulting in Oldham sacking their manager as well.

It doesn't look good for the manager of the side who has to play Oldham next!! :D :pac:

On further investigation, said manager and team appears to be Rob Jones of Doncaster. :D

And Jones took over from Dickov.....who was oldham Manager!!! Nobody will want to take the job now! :(

David Dunn appointed Interim Player/Manager. Another unproven manager that is only famous for falling on his ar$e while trying something fancy....save us Jebus!!

Looks like it'll be an excellent result for the Cobblers today, winning away against an in form Morecambe. Great stuff.

Up to mid table, our rightful place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Just got access at last...
    Another draw for Derby County..uninspiring play again !!

Burton sitting on top of League 1, Jimmy Floyd has done a fantastic job. Still early days though!

Looks like the Cobblers are destined for insolvency. Local council have demanded repayment of 12 million pounds in loans in 21 days. No surprise after the East stand has sat half built for over a year, worrying times though.

Ah well.

Cobblers were under pressure fair bit against Orient yesterday, Smith yet again man of the match, he is guaranteed to be signed by someone else, he is different class to league 2 keepers. I'm sure his off field transgression will get overlooked because he's that good.

Still, they took the lead in about 3rd minute of injury time, and conceded the equaliser in the 7th minute of injury time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement