Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship/L1/L2 & Conference - 2015/16

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

CTifaM1WwAEzYUe.jpg

Cobblers up to third at the minute. Good 1 nil home win at home to Mansfield Town.

Of course in court this week so that could change fairly quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Johner wrote: »
    Was only a matter of time before Jimmy Floyd's brilliant work with Burton got noticed, for the sake of his own career I really hope he doesn't go to QPR, no matter what happens with Burton this season there will be Championship clubs interested at the end of the season, hopefully he will see out the season and lead Burton into the Championship!
    He'd be mad to go to QPR; that job is a poisoned chalice. If he bides his time and keeps doing the business at The Pirelli Stadium for another couple of seasons, he'll probably get a shot at a bigger/better club.

Cobblers fans still supporting the team (while they still can) in decent numbers, have taken a thousand to Notts County today, were winning but pegged back, hanging on a bit now I think.

YYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cobblers win again. Unpaid since October.

They beat Notts County 2 - 1, Brendan Moloney (from Kerry) who got the winner. He's a really classy, attacking fullback. Up the Cobblers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Bad result for Leeds today losing 1-0 at home too relegating fighting Rotherham.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Bad result for Leeds today losing 1-0 at home too relegating fighting Rotherham.

I'm sure the delightful Mr Evans was pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Remarkably Barnsley win in L1. Wonders will never cease!

Background is a reasonable start to the season followed by a horrific recent run of losses. Fallen from being promo contenders to relegation battlers. The joys of the lower leagues...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

I'm sure the delightful Mr Evans was pleased.

Didn't see his post match comments yet,I can only imagine Redfrean will have a smile like a Cheshire Cat after the result.

More Northampton news. The staff of the club, the fans and now the manager have all pleaded with the chairman to sell the club.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11739/10075389/chris-wilder-urges-northampton-chairman-to-sell-club

• Advertisement

Done deal, Cobblers takeover is done apparently. Relieved doesn't cover it if confirmed.

http://m.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/breaking-news-cardoza-confirms-sale-of-northampton-town-to-kelvin-thomas-1-7080727

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

So I guess that will mean business as usual so no chance of points deductions or what not for financial irregularities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Dundalk's Richie Towell to Brighton if today's talk is to be believed.

So I guess that will mean business as usual so no chance of points deductions or what not for financial irregularities?

They avoid administration if deal is official before Friday and new bloke pays the tax man. Local police have been asked to investigate the missing millions. There were no financial irregularities with regard to players, contracts etc (afaik) so no points sanction. And staff will get paid again.

Omackeral wrote: »

Any idea of price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Hard to know if he would get his game there. Will a team at the top of the league be willing to give someone a shot who has not played in the league before or will they be looking for something extra that Towell could provide? Will be interesting to see what happens if he does sign? I know how crucial Keith Fahey was to Birmingham a few years ago when he arrived in January, so it would be great to see Towell make a similar impact.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Any idea of price?

I think it could be for absolutely nothing as I'm fairly sure his contract was up. Dundalk were trying to get him to sign a new one but it seems as if he found a better option.

As a Cork City fan I only too happy to see the back of Towell! That said though, I hope he does well, especially for Ireland's sake if he pushes on.

Meanwhile, as a Southend United fan, I was convinced we were about to throw away a 3-0 lead at Oldham when we were pegged back to 3-2, only for us to thankfully push on again and win 5-2. A great result away from home which leaves us just one point outside the playoffs.

With the brother's Aston Villa looking like they're heading for the Championship next season, I'd love nothing more than for Southend to join them! We'd definitely go over to that one anyway I'd say!! :pac: :D

Huge win again for the Cobblers, down to ten for most of the second half, hung on for 2 1 win at Crawley. Level on points with Oxford in second, 2 off top spot. The local council have also agreed the football club has no liability for the loan, they will take over the land around the ground and develop it themselves.

So football club is debt free, only stipulations council had for new owner was complete the East Stand and pay the tax man. I had little time for the council prior to this but they genuinely tried everything to keep club afloat.

Only worry now would be Sheffield United sniffing around our manager! Michael Vaughan, Wednesday fan and former England Cricketer keeps pitching his name for United. Don't think he's being tongue in cheek.

https://twitter.com/MichaelVaughan/status/668540095029465088

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Wilberto wrote: »
    I think it could be for absolutely nothing as I'm fairly sure his contract was up. Dundalk were trying to get him to sign a new one but it seems as if he found a better option.

As a Cork City fan I only too happy to see the back of Towell! That said though, I hope he does well, especially for Ireland's sake if he pushes on.

Meanwhile, as a Southend United fan, I was convinced we were about to throw away a 3-0 lead at Oldham when we were pegged back to 3-2, only for us to thankfully push on again and win 5-2. A great result away from home which leaves us just one point outside the playoffs.

With the brother's Aston Villa looking like they're heading for the Championship next season, I'd love nothing more than for Southend to join them! We'd definitely go over to that one anyway I'd say!! :pac: :D

Playoffs? I want the title.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Playoffs? I want the title.

God no! Remember the last time that happened?! :pac:

Cobblers remain third but only on goal difference from Plymouth and Oxford. All on 40 points. November played 5 won 5 including a win against Coventry in the FA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Done deal confirmed today.

Watched the Brighton match at the weekend. They are a very well organised team, very hard to break down and threatening on the break. Solly March is some talent, he will be key to their promotion push. Hard to know if Towell will be able to break into the team but it is a great opportunity for him.

In other news, Brentford have appointed Dean Smith as their new manager. Hard for Walsall when they finally look like having a decent season. Lee Carsley did a good job turning around Brentford, will be interesting to see how Smith gets on and how he will operate within Brentford's structure.

Also, Bolton haven't paid their players for the month of November. That is a club in real trouble, really hard to see them staying up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bolton 172 million in Debt....how the fcuk?

Dont know much about this Dean Smith chap did well at Walsall but a much different challenge at Brentford, Carsley did a very good job in the while he was in charge so lets hope Dean Smith can push on.

Thought Bees unlucky last night at Bolton lovely goal by Swift, it is important for Brentford I feel to get agreement from Chelsea to keep him until the end of the season, I would expect that they will he is getting a lot of game time and he impresses every time I see him. Brentford got Saville on loan a few seasons back from Chelsea as well and that also turned out to be a successful loan, perhaps until such time Brentford make the premier league it would be worthwhile throwing some players their way. Nice and local much easier for all when compared to some of the loan arrangements.

Thinking of Bolton though how did they manage to get so deeply in debt that is staggering, will always have a soft spot for them for a few reasons but mainly as the venue of Lamps scoring and Chelsea winning their first league in 50 years also an FA Cup match I watched as a schoolboy at Griffin Park Brentford Bolton. Bees had just disposed of Wimbledon in the second round (Dickie Guy and all and sorry DWW disposed of your beloved Cobblers 2-0 in the first round) Bolton doing well in the old second division Brentford as normal wrong end of the old fourth division. Packed house and a pulsating 0-0 draw posts hit at both ends scrambles off the line it was a great game, sadly Bees lost the replay but Bolton were a handy side back then (think Peter Reid might even have been playing for them then) what the hell happened to them.

• Advertisement

Widespread reports that Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink will be announced as QPR boss tomorrow. Don't do it Jimmy, not QPR.

Elsewhere, Fulham have been turned down by their 108th candidate for manager. Real scattergun approach to appointing a manager. Who knows who they will end up with.

Kiwi_knock wrote:
    Elsewhere, Fulham have been turned down by their 108th candidate for manager. Real scattergun approach to appointing a manager. Who knows who they will end up with.

If I handed in my CV do you think they'd consider me? Always fancied a shot at football management.

Steve Clarke and Reading have gone their separate ways. Wonder if he is destined for Fulham after all.

Steve Clarke and Reading have gone their separate ways. Wonder if he is destined for Fulham after all.

Jimmy going to QPR, Clarke to Fulham what is the world coming too. Not sure either would be a step up for them

I wonder if he will accept the low offer now. Can't believe he thought he would be able to keep his job with the way he acted.

• Advertisement

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I wonder if he will accept the low offer now. Can't believe he thought he would be able to keep his job with the way he acted.

Me thinks I have missed something here what did Steve Clarke do? Was he doing the dirty on Reading or something?

Me thinks I have missed something here what did Steve Clarke do? Was he doing the dirty on Reading or something?

Well he went off and spoke to Fulham about the job few weeks ago.

Had talks for the Fulham job a few weeks ago but turned it down because they didn't offer him enough money. If you were a Reading supporter you would find it hard to support a manager who is only staying with you because of money and not due to any passion for the club.

Yes that is very bad form, you deserve to be dead man walking after that. You might well turn down a job because the money is too low but you never say that in any walk of life.

To be honest I never saw Clarke as a manager, excellent coach (I still think that was the rock Big Phil perished on at Chelsea when he let him off to West Ham way too soon) but not the main man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Jimmy Floyd to QPR confirmed. :(

Second manager pinched from the Championship from Burton, let's hope whoever they get in continues the upward curve. Burton is a very very attractive proposition at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Brighton hold on to the lead and the unbeaten status with a 0-2 to 3-2 turnaround. I'm not sure I can take many more games like that!

Northampton get out of jail by breaking Northwich Victorian hearts in the F.A. Cup.

Three goals in the last ten minutes to win 3-2.

Wilberto wrote: »
    Northampton get out of jail by breaking Northwich Victorian hearts in the F.A. Cup.

Three goals in the last ten minutes to win 3-2.

Well deserved (are not words anyone has used). 3 goals in 3 minutes. Delighted but can't help but feel sorry for Northwich Victoria.

Nigel Clough is back at Burton. I see a change in style coming for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Nigel Clough is back at Burton. I see a change in style coming for them.

Not sure he's the right man to take them forward but sure we will see. Under JFH I would have been confident of play off's at least.

Stuart Gray set for Fulham, he was excellent for the Cobblers but has had a mixed time since those days. I think he's an excellent manager though.

Stuart Gray set for Fulham, he was excellent for the Cobblers but has had a mixed time since those days. I think he's an excellent manager though.

Appointed as Senior Coach, Fulham still looking for a Head Coach. Utterly bizarre situation. Gray is good enough to be Head Coach, have no idea who Fulham are holding out for.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/december/08/head-coach-update

Appointed as Senior Coach, Fulham still looking for a Head Coach. Utterly bizarre situation. Gray is good enough to be Head Coach, have no idea who Fulham are holding out for.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/december/08/head-coach-update

Particularly odd if new man comes in and wants his own backroom staff, where does that leave Gray other than with severance pay in his pocket.

Plug pulled on Bolton, HMRC have had enough!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/35061309

Club for sale for a quid but if they go into admin they'll be docked 12 points and League One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What is the debt made up of? If a lot of it is owed to the current owners maybe some deal can be done, otherwise it seems unsustainable.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The club is owned by Eddie Davies, and its been up for sale since late 2014, the debt is twice Davies personal wealth.

Its really a complete dereliction of duty by the Football League to allow a club to build up such a debt we all know the parachute payments only last a few years.

Brighton remain unbeaten, seriously impressive job done by Hughton this year.

Birmingham finally score, but another draw. Falling away from the playoff spots. Friday's game against Cardiff is crucial to keep in touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Brighton remain unbeaten, seriously impressive job done by Hughton this year.

Birmingham finally score, but another draw. Falling away from the playoff spots. Friday's game against Cardiff is crucial to keep in touch.

Brighton's unbeaten record is staggering really considering how tight all their games are. 11 wins all by one goal and 10 draws!

• Advertisement

Derby are scoring goals and Boro are tighter than a Scottish bum(hole) at home, I think it'll be two from those three.

Advertisement