Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360 on Xbone

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Yeah, since it's been possible all along it's basically a fuk you to people who bought remasters...especially remasters that were complete failures riddled with glitches

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

the_syco wrote: »
    http://www.geek.com/games/microsoft-created-a-virtual-xbox-360-to-allow-backwards-compatibility-1625395/

Interesting. My cynical view of this is that they waited until now so that most people would rebuy all their games. Meh.

A cynical view indeed.

It's also very very likely to be wrong. You should check out any emulator on PC that involves emulating a processor with a different architecture, follow the development on those and you'll see how hard it is. While Microsoft has more resources than those guys, it's still a case of hard, hard work.

Also, if Microsoft wanted to drive sales of remasters, then they'd continue without any backwards compatibility at all. After all, they've got Gears of War Remastered coming out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

CatInABox wrote: »
    A cynical view indeed.

It's also very very likely to be wrong. You should check out any emulator on PC that involves emulating a processor with a different architecture, follow the development on those and you'll see how hard it is. While Microsoft has more resources than those guys, it's still a case of hard, hard work.

Also, if Microsoft wanted to drive sales of remasters, then they'd continue without any backwards compatibility at all. After all, they've got Gears of War Remastered coming out too.
    +1 on this.
    I'd say it's only being released now as before this they probably didn't even know if it would work with any degree of stability and predictability.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    +1 on this.
    I'd say it's only being released now as before this they probably didn't even know if it would work with any degree of stability and predictability.

One thing I could criticise them on is the fact that this has obviously been in development for ages at this stage, so they could have said at some point that they're looking into it and that perhaps people should keep a hold of their Xbox 360 games.

Even on that point though, I'm not overly annoyed, as I can see why they didn't. They're still struggling to repair consumer confidence in the Xbox One, and what better way to repair it than to "win" E3 with a nice announcement of backward compatibility?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I need to figure out to get access to all those games I let my Turkish cousin buy :o

• Advertisement

I'll take how MS are doing it vs how sony do it any day, and I'm sure there are many PS4 users who would say the very same.

To be honest it's a nice extra for me but something I don't really need to a degree as I still have a 360 and also it's a short enough list of 360 games I'd be willing to go back to at this point.

Be great for those only coming to xbox though, as once the list grows theres potential for a lot of cheap as chips quality games to be played along side current gen ones on the same system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I'll take how MS are doing it vs how sony do it any day, and I'm sure there are many PS4 users who would say the very same.

To be honest it's a nice extra for me but something I don't really need to a degree as I still have a 360 and also it's a short enough list of 360 games I'd be willing to go back to at this point.

Be great for those only coming to xbox though, as once the list grows theres potential for a lot of cheap as chips quality games to be played along side current gen ones on the same system.
    This is definitely a nice extra, a shrewd move by Microsoft to help people move from Xbox 360 to Xbox One and keep them in the Xbox ecosystem: Bring your games with you and get all the next-gen extras on top.

So far, I can see about 21 games that are available in preview:
    • A World of Keflings
    • Alien Hominid HD
    • Banjo Kazooie
    • Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
    • Banjo Tooie
    • BattleBlock Theater
    • Defense Grid
    • Geometry Wars Evolved 2
    • Hexic HD
    • Jetpac Refuelled
    • Kameo
    • Kingdom for Keflings
    • Mass Effect
    • Perfect Dark
    • Perfect Dark Zero
    • Small Arms
    • Super Meat Boy
    • Toy Soldiers
    • Toy Soldiers: Cold War
    • Viva Pinata
    • Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise

While Call of Duty features highly in the list of most requested games, I was surprised by the number one.
    1. Red Dead Redemption
    2. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
    3. Skyrim
    4. Halo: Reach
    5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    6. Gears of War 3
    7. Call of Duty: Black Ops
    8. Fallout 3
    9. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    10. Mass Effect 3
    11. Bioshock Infinite

As the Xbox 360 titles don't require additional work by the developers, it could provide them with the opportunity to get money for old rope - a few extra quid for a game that is no longer really around, and maybe sell some extra DLC and you never know possibly build up a fan base for a new sequel.
    (Or, as we see with Fallout and Rainbow 6, throw in the 360 games as freebies or pre-order bonuses).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Its not such a big deal for me as I still have my 360, but I've definitely stopped buying games for it (360) as I wierdly feel guilty when theres a new console right there. I'd definitely start buying again though if BC becomes prevalent across a large number of games.

If they get Black Ops 2 up and running on it, I'll be very happy indeed.

one detail I'm wondering about is parties and party chat. How does that work cross platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I'd like GTA V to work, as I don't want to buy the same game again for the One, but I doubt that's a priority!

one detail I'm wondering about is parties and party chat. How does that work cross platform?
    The 360 game is running in an emulator - essentially a virtual machine that is running a full version of the 360 OS and it translates all the commands from that OS / CPU to valid commands that the Xbox One can understand.

The emulator presents itself to the game and the Xbox Live service as an Xbox 360 console - you even get the proper mini-360 blades when you try to access the dash - all the party stuff like chat should work with your xbox 360 mates.

Although I'm not sure how well it would work if you have a party going on Xbox One with Xbox One mates, then launch an Xbox 360 game and some people who are only on Xbox 360 try to join the party. The encounter could create a time paradox. The results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe!... Granted, that's the worst-case scenario. The destruction however might be limited merely to our own galaxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Does the Xbox One record function work for the 360 emulator?

Does the Xbox One record function work for the 360 emulator?

It does indeed, along with the screenshot function.
    Although I'm not sure how well it would work if you have a party going on Xbox One with Xbox One mates, then launch an Xbox 360 game and some people who are only on Xbox 360 try to join the party. The encounter could create a time paradox. The results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe!... Granted, that's the worst-case scenario. The destruction however might be limited merely to our own galaxy

As far as I can tell, a party on the 360 is totally separate to a party on the One and vice versa. Essentially two totally different code bases, two different codecs mean that it's impossible.*

*At least right now. Microsoft surprised me with backward compatibility, so they could surprise me further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm impressed with Microsoft doing this I have to say, I'd have previously said neither Sony or MS would go down this route because why do this when you could simply charge people to play games they already own (release ports on Live etc). Making the physical discs unlock the digital copy is a really nice touch too. Colour me impressed MS. I may be able to retire the 360 soon & leave the shelf of games as it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I wonder can you broadcast to twitch with it?

Just tried it out there, and indeed, yes you can.

It seems that every Xbox 360 game is treated as an Xbox One game, allowing the OS to function as normal. Still amazed at how well it functions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I haven't had a chance to see this on my Xbox one yet, but I was wondering, is there a store to purchase the games available in the preview now, or would I had to have them on my account already?

For example, I haven't bought Super Meat Boy before, can I go purchase it now like I could on 360 or is it just available to download if you had it before?

pasta-solo wrote: »
    I haven't had a chance to see this on my Xbox one yet, but I was wondering, is there a store to purchase the games available in the preview now, or would I had to have them on my account already?

For example, I haven't bought Super Meat Boy before, can I go purchase it now like I could on 360 or is it just available to download if you had it before?

Your Xbox 360 and your Xbox One accounts are the same, so if you purchase Super Meat Boy on your Xbox 360 account right now, then it'll be available on your Xbox One(preview only) when it's ready. Might take time for some games to be republished on Xbox One.

If you have Xbox Live, then you should be downloading both Xbox One and 360 games from the games with gold website, for maximum free games.

Yep. Because of the way that the One is designed - one virtual machine for games and one for apps / dashboard stuff, you get to keep all the dashboard functionality like screenshots, Game DVR and Twitch streaming and snap an app.

pasta-solo wrote: »

I had hexic hd on my original waaaaaaaaaaaaay back when the 360 launched, so it came already on the xbox so wasn't actually tied to my account. Games that you have downloaded over the years and are in the program will appear in the list of 'ready to install' in my games and apps. In my case with hexic it's a free game anyway so all I had to do was go to xbox.com buy it for free and hit download to xbox and it was there in the 'ready to install' list a few minutes later.

Haven't been able to get any discs working yet but how they work is when you hit install now on the dash it downloads those too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

One thing I could criticise them on is the fact that this has obviously been in development for ages at this stage, so they could have said at some point that they're looking into it and that perhaps people should keep a hold of their Xbox 360 games.

Even on that point though, I'm not overly annoyed, as I can see why they didn't. They're still struggling to repair consumer confidence in the Xbox One, and what better way to repair it than to "win" E3 with a nice announcement of backward compatibility?

You can't do that, that is suicidal. This was obviously a tough project, a very tough project. When they started this, they knew there was a very high chance of failure. Lots of companies embark on exploratory projects and invest a lot of time and resources. More often than not they will fail, but in failing you also gain a lot of valuable insights. But you never make this info public. If people knew this was being worked on and it failed, then people would say MS have no idea what they are doing. And that would be very destructive for the xbox brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Thus give their competitors plenty of notice of their strategy and also take away their big public announcement at E3.

Also, what if it had turned out that they couldn't have done it after saying they were looking into it? They would have been asked about it at every publicity event and then viewed as failures when it could not be done.

jester77 wrote: »
    You can't do that, that is suicidal. This was obviously a tough project, a very tough project. When they started this, they knew there was a very high chance of failure. Lots of companies embark on exploratory projects and invest a lot of time and resources. More often than not they will fail, but in failing you also gain a lot of valuable insights. But you never make this info public. If people knew this was being worked on and it failed, then people would say MS have no idea what they are doing. And that would be very destructive for the xbox brand.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Thus give their competitors plenty of notice of their strategy and also take away their big public announcement at E3.

Also, what if it had turned out that they couldn't have done it after saying they were looking into it? They would have been asked about it at every publicity event and then viewed as failures when it could not be done.

Oh, I know, I was only saying it in relation to what OP was annoyed by, nothing to be taken seriously.

As it is, I think this was a superb bit of engineering, marketing and planning by Microsoft, and hope to see far more of it.

An interesting titbit from Reddit, if you want to try Backwards Compatibility while still waiting for your Preview Program Invitation to be processed.
    For people wanting to try backwards compatibility that ain't in the preview programme, If you follow/friend somebody that is and has recently played a 360 game, Open up "popular with friends" on the dash on your Xbox one (clicking the three squares at the bottom), scroll through to a 360 game that they have played and you OWN, Click it and "view in store"

Just downloaded Geometry wars evolved and can confirm it works.
    Sorry if it's old news. Couldn't find anything on mobile :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This is a very clever move by MS as others have already said.

I haven't bothered upgrading to next gen yet and previously I didn't have any real reason to go for an Xbox 0ne vs a PS4 or even going for a steam box, but now I'm 95% more likely to go for Xbox one, and so are several other people I know who are considering upgrading.

It's like the apple/android/MS mobile phone market. I've always had android phones so I've spent a fair bit of money on apps over the years, No matter how good the windows mobile platform is, I'm unlikely to buy a windows phone cause I'd lose all those paid apps. (which I also share amongst tablets and my wife's phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I still have a 360 and there's nothing I really want to play on the Xbox one exclusive wise.

I have a ps4 for the cross platform stuff so I reckon I'll get an Xbox one when my 360 dies of red ring in a year or two.... which it will.... like the others before it.

Great move by MS though. I like many others were finding a purchase hard to justify but this definitely gives me a reason.
    Not right now but as soon as the death of my 360 or a good exclusive comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

An interesting titbit from Reddit, if you want to try Backwards Compatibility while still waiting for your Preview Program Invitation to be processed.

Sorry. Only seen this now after posting the video on the other threads :o

But here's the video for those interested:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Any one any idea if the kinect games for 360 would ever be compatable with xbone and its kinect? I don't really use it (been months since I have) but it's good fun when you have a few mates over with a few beers, only thing making me hold onto my 360

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Great news for xbox one users I hope PS4 follow suit.

Any one any idea if the kinect games for 360 would ever be compatable with xbone and its kinect? I don't really use it (been months since I have) but it's good fun when you have a few mates over with a few beers, only thing making me hold onto my 360

It think it was said that anything requiring a peripheral would not be supported , so that rules out anything that uses kinect and the guitar hero and rock band games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Great news for xbox one users I hope PS4 follow suit.

Yoshida has said they don't plan on bringing it to the PS4. (for now anyway)

http://www.inquisitr.com/2186562/ps4-backwards-compatibility-not-planned-to-counter-xbox-one-e3-announcement/

Advertisement