Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre Fabs to be used in Dublin as housing crises increases

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Ha short term my arse. People are going to be living in pre fab ghettos for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Personally I think it's a great idea if it's done properly.
    I'd rather be in a prefab house than a b&b if I had the choice or was in the situation the 450 families are currently in Dublin .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,284 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If they meet the requirements and they are actually low cost, then go for it. Someone who can't afford a house is given a house for free. Sounds like a good story to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

160,000 prefabs were built in Britain after the second world war, due to last 10 years, and it got them through their housing crisis. Some are still lived in, but done right it can be a really good short term solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://www.donedeal.ie/holidayhomes-for-sale/irelands-first-off-the-shelf-tiny-micro-home/9602416

Prefabricated could be good, or it could be bad.

It was also decided at the time to prioritise tackling rough sleeping after the death of homeless man, Jonathan Corrie (43) outside Leinster House.
    Cynicaly read as; It was also decided at the time to prioritise tackling rough sleeping after the death of homeless man, Jonathan Corrie (43) outside Leinster House, after he didn't like the free houses that his family had given him.

Although homeless is a very real problem, they shouldn't use someone as a poster boy that had being given houses in the past, but had chosen to not live in them.

Oh, and
    This was after councillors rejected plans to refurbish 64 vacant flats in O’Devaney Gardens to accommodate homeless families at a cost of €5 million.
    Where these the ones that had a bad address? The bad address that was a bad address as the empty units had drawn the bad people?

=-=

The crazy thing is; they can be put in a field nearby facilities. As opposed putting the families into a housing estate miles away from anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

why dont they review the bedsit ban as long as needs be? hey you cant live in a building, but you can live in a prefab, on the street, in a car etc :rolleyes:

Idbatterim wrote: »
    why dont they review the bedsit ban as long as needs be? hey you cant live in a building, but you can live in a prefab, on the street, in a car etc :rolleyes:

One of the big issues is family homelessness bedsits are no use to families currently stuck in b&b,hotels or hostels.
    Where prefabricated houses could be ideal and built quickly and affordable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's just a slightly different-to-normal construction technique being used to build a lot of houses all at once.

Provided the surrounding work is done (adequate facilities in the area for the increased number of people living there), then it's no different to any other building approach.

If the neighbourhood facilities aren't there, then the problem will not lie with the construction method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Totally agree. Banning bedsits was not a bad idea per say. But with the amount of homeless people the timing was totally wrong and they should be brought back under licence for 5 years. They shouldd also give rent supplement for house shares in the short term to enable people live somewhere.

• Advertisement

Totally agree. Banning bedsits was not a bad idea per say. But with the amount of homeless people the timing was totally wrong and they should be brought back under licence for 5 years. They should also give rent supplement for house shares in the short term to enable people live somewhere.
    What I find ridiculous is that people are being made to suffer, from a government choice, i.e.. to get rid of the only option many could afford, due to a total lack of government commitment in getting the problem sorted in the first place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

What I find ridiculous is that people are being made to suffer, from a government choice, i.e.. to get rid of the only option many could afford, due to a total lack of government commitment in getting the problem sorted in the first place...

The government didn't 'ban' bedsits, they made it legal that you shouldn't have to share scummy toilet facilities with a group of strangers, which seems a step in the right direction as far as in concerned.

The State should provide land and send out a EU wide tender to build tens of thousands of well-provided apartments all over the country where the social housing lists are most acute.
    Emergency legislation can be passed to bypass local authority vested interests.

The government didn't 'ban' bedsits, they made it legal that you shouldn't have to share scummy toilet facilities with a group of strangers, which seems a step in the right direction as far as in concerned.
    I am assuming that those in bedsits, were there because that was all that they could afford. How great for them, they have either had to move somewhere else and maybe share instead of having their own little place, or are now homeless etc.

There is a demand for low end housing in all major cities, it is satisfying a need. Hell most of the apartments buildings here even recent ones are appalling, from room sizes, to build quality, fire protection deficiencies. where do you draw the line on telling people where is and is not acceptable for them to live? Better let them have the choice...

Whatever about them getting rid of them, when there is a decent alternative in place, maybe... At the time being and even at the time it was madness, I have read enough about it, I am not going to change my mind...
    The State should provide land and send out a EU wide tender to build tens of thousands of well-provided apartments all over the country where the social housing lists are most acute.
    There is enough zoned land here, there are lots of ex construction workers unemployed, there is a massive demand for housing, which is creating a whole host of issues, socially and economically... Get nama and the ex developers involved, they can get the financing.

I just love the way the same stuff gets debated year in, year out. With politicians, councils just trotting out the same excuses year after year, you would swear they were on appalling pay and the country wasn't one that spends a fortune every year. "We are where we are" on every front here, economically, the bank debt, crap infrastructure, massive housing shortage, all of that was and is down to political decisions or lack there of, simple as... Lack of leadership, no one having responsibility or knowing who is ultimately responsible... We really are some half way house between the laughing stock that is Greece and the well run Germany, netherlands, nordic countries etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

the_syco wrote: »
    http://www.donedeal.ie/holidayhomes-for-sale/irelands-first-off-the-shelf-tiny-micro-home/9602416

Prefabricated could be good, or it could be bad.

Cynicaly read as; It was also decided at the time to prioritise tackling rough sleeping after the death of homeless man, Jonathan Corrie (43) outside Leinster House, after he didn't like the free houses that his family had given him.

Although homeless is a very real problem, they shouldn't use someone as a poster boy that had being given houses in the past, but had chosen to not live in them.

Oh, and

Where these the ones that had a bad address? The bad address that was a bad address as the empty units had drawn the bad people?

=-=

The crazy thing is; they can be put in a field nearby facilities. As opposed putting the families into a housing estate miles away from anywhere.

Its nothing to do with the vacant units unfortunately. O'Devaney has always been like that. The bad people weren't drawn they were already there.

snubbleste wrote: »

There is a problem there alot of people on the housing lists don't want apartments .
    They want houses and gardens so they have room for future additions to the family and room for the pets .

People will wait no matter how desperate there in need .

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭gerarda

a 30 storey building LOL, Dublin might have one of these "mega rise" some time in 2050 - 2060... I THINK that some of the issue could be addressed here by having more than the 5/6 storey rubbish they are erecting in the docklands, its a fairly radical theory though... Higher density, where people want to live, in an area with good transport links. Don't want to go upsetting the poor old Georgian buildings now though do we...

I am assuming that those in bedsits, were there because that was all that they could afford. How great for them, they have either had to move somewhere else and maybe share instead of having their own little place, or are now homeless etc.
    You are not wrong, but it's the same conundrum as the minimum wage: if we scrapped the minimum wage, loads more people would have jobs, albeit poorly paid ones. By having a minimum wage, those jobs are uneconomical and disappear.

We choose to have a minimum wage to give a minimum standard of living to people. I don't see why there should be no similar minimum standards for where people actually have to live. I wouldn't want to share a bath and a toilet with a group of single men who each have no incentive to ever clean them.

• Advertisement

We choose to have a minimum wage to give a minimum standard of living to people. I don't see why there should be no similar minimum standards for where people actually have to live. I wouldn't want to share a bath and a toilet with a group of single men who each have no incentive to ever clean them.
    yeah of course, but I don't have the conundrum, either do you probably, because we can afford a better standard than that, but what if you cant... People in bedsits were there by choice, if they felt that being homeless, moving somewhere else with cheaper rent or sharing with others was a better option, they could have done it at any time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Totally agree. Banning bedsits was not a bad idea per say. But with the amount of homeless people the timing was totally wrong and they should be brought back under licence for 5 years. They shouldd also give rent supplement for house shares in the short term to enable people live somewhere.

It wasnt a bad idea, it was a terrible, ill conceived by possibly well intentioned but stupid people who knew no better.
    Can you elaborate on how it was a good idea? Id seen some bedits and they were quite nice, everyone of them had toilets of their own.

But the ridiculous requirement to have a 4 ring hob, an oven I believe and a washing machine still existed, even though such accomodation would be better suited to using laundrette a 2 ring hob and not necessarily a fixed oven suited to a house.

It would have simply been better to enforce a standard of not having seperate units share toilet facilities, but effectively they closed the only accomodation route down for some people, who wants to share a toilet and have your own safe and secure palce when you can pi$$ and $hit on the street, that certainly sounds more hygenic to me.

yeah of course, but I don't have the conundrum, either do you probably, because we can afford a better standard than that, but what if you cant... People in bedsits were there by choice, if they felt that being homeless, moving somewhere else with cheaper rent or sharing with others was a better option, they could have done it at any time...
    Were they sharing a toilet with strangers by choice? Or were they sharing a toilet with strangers because that was all they could afford?

Were they sharing a toilet with strangers by choice? Or were they sharing a toilet with strangers because that was all they could afford?
    a mixture of both I assume, whats the alternative, either move to a different location, become homeless or move to somewhere else with more strangers most likely, where I doubt they will have an en suite at that end of the market & back to sharing a bathroom, albeit one only available to that unit or house etc...
    It wasnt a bad idea, it was a terrible, ill conceived by possibly well intentioned but stupid people who knew no better.
    totally agree, I am well removed from that end of the market, it doesn't stop me seeing the decisions for the total BS it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

For some, it was what they chose to afford: some people aren't worried about shared toilet facilities.

The last bedsit block that I visited had three toilets for five bedsits, and they were cleaner than the toilet in my house it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

For some, it was what they chose to afford: some people aren't worried about shared toilet facilities.

The last bedsit block that I visited had three toilets for five bedsits, and they were cleaner than the toilet in my house it today.

Unfortunately this is the case. No one worries about sharing showers and toilets in a gym. Not ideal but better than being homeless!

<MOD SNIP>

its a totally different thing and I have read very convincing arguments for its abolition. One is about receiving minimum remuneration for services rendered, the other is simply having the choice to share a bathroom...

So if we start with the minimum wage, because this is when you start to scrutinise anything, that holes start to appear. It is meant to provide obviously a minimum wage, to afford a certain standard of living. FINE. So why if the cost of living in Dublin is so much higher than the rest of the country, is the minimum wage here the same, effectively the minimum wage in dublin is worth significantly less than the rest of the country*

assuming you are renting or sharing a property and in the vast majority of cases*

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There is enough zoned land here, there are lots of ex construction workers unemployed
    Enough zoned land in the backarse of nowhere. Anywhere decent was bought at astronomical prices, and thus NAMA will want to make money on it when selling it off.
    Zadkiel wrote: »
    Its nothing to do with the vacant units unfortunately. O'Devaney has always been like that. The bad people weren't drawn they were already there.
    Ireland; where beggers can be choosers.
    snubbleste wrote: »
    The Chinese. Lovely bunch of lads. H&S would have a field day there, I'd say! They have entire cities (built in the last decade) that have been empty since they were built.
    cerastes wrote: »
    Id seen some bedits and they were quite nice, everyone of them had toilets of their own.
    Bedsits had no regulations. I think someone tried to input regulations, but I also think it was decided that no bedsits would be better than trying to police what is out there.

Enough zoned land in the backarse of nowhere. Anywhere decent was bought at astronomical prices, and thus NAMA will want to make money on it when selling it off.

from august last year there was enough zoned land in dublin for 46,000 properties. Relocate Dublin Port and you could house tens if not hundreds of thousands in the former port, as was proposed by the Pd's years back and done in Helsinki years ago...

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/enough-zoned-land-in-dublin-for-46-000-houses-1.1890766

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ha short term my arse. People are going to be living in pre fab ghettos for the foreseeable future.
    Gatling wrote: »
    Personally I think it's a great idea if it's done properly.
    I'd rather be in a prefab house than a b&b if I had the choice or was in the situation the 450 families are currently in Dublin .

I'd agree with Donkey here, the people who this is being aimed at will be very wary about moving in to them as they'll be worried about getting stuck there.

I don't know if anyone saw the episode of Dail on The Dole in Limerick where Willie O'Dea was trying to help a 2 parent 2 child family who due to housing shortage where stuck in one hotel room for the lot of them. They were offered one place in the city but they deemed it unsituable, it could well have been too, but they were offered another place in Askeaton, which is 20 or 30 mins outside the city, but wouldn't move there as it was too far away. The show ended with them still in the hotel room and had been there for 4 or 5 months.

Advertisement