Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tikka t3 .233 1 in 8 twist advice on accurate budget ammo

Options
  • 17-06-2015 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to this so forgive any school boy error I make on this thing but I've bought a tikka .223 with a 1:8 twist barrel and I need some advice on what users have found to be the best budget round for this rifle. Intend to be doing some target and varmint shooting out about 300 yards. So any advice on FMJ's and Hunting rounds would be appreciated. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

It will shoot anything out there. Never seen anything over 75gr for sale.

Lightest I have tried is 45gr Remy HP's and it put 3 of them into one hole @50yds.

Before I accurized my T3 1;8 (and I suspect the barrel and stock binding near the action was the major culprit) it would shoot 55gr Hornady VMax into 1 -1.5" @ 100yds. I put 3 into 15mm centre-to-centre after.

I use Tulammo 62gr FMJ for rabbits - not really accurate past 100yds and the odd round won't either feed or fire, but they're cheap and I don't mind.

For anything larger than rabbits, nothing hits as hard as Hornady 75gr HP's - careful not to use 75gr Match (they are called HP's, but don't expand) - or Federal 64gr PSP's (my favourite).
    Would like to try Hornady 75gr Superformance whenever they become available -look good on paper.

A lot of guys here use lighter ammo -40gr VMax etc - because they don't fall enough to make a difference @300yds, so they can aim straight-on. the heavier stuff will not do this, ( a 150yd zero gives ~4" fall @200yds with 64gr PSP).

I have seen fiocchi 50gr HP's @28 -30 euros for a box of 50 - they look potentially accurate and are reasonably priced, but have not tried them yet. Other guys report Fiocchi 50gr PSP's not that accurate, but their 50gr VMax are supposed to be very good, but pricey (although cheaper than Hornady - the Daddy).

Main thing is - have fun.

Wish I was starting out again, like you - it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Fiocchi 50 grain vmax will be fine out to 300 yards. Had the very same rifle and these were cheap and cheerful in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Will_mck

Ah thanks for the advice guys, I'll start off with a box of Fiocchi 50 grain vmax then see how I get on. Can't wait to get started with the .223. Had a wee cz .22 lr before but it runs outta range pretty quick but great gun to learn on and it was fun to shoot. I was also wondering how often they recommend to clean out a .223 barrel? I'd imagine there'd be a lot more residue building up by comparison.

Here's what I do - others do their own thing and that's fine, too:

I swab the barrel out with meths every time I shoot it and clean the chamber;

Once in a blue moon, I put a bit of oil in the barrel/chamber and swab out with meths after a few minutes;

Roughly every 75 rounds, I de-carb/de-copper the barrel;

I like to keep the rig rubbed-over with a silicone cloth to keep rust away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

As said by Vegeta the Fiochii 50gr VMax. I was getting a one hole group with 6 shots at 100 yards with a T3 Tac in .223. Also if they ever come back into the country the Hornady steel match is very cheap and accurate

• Advertisement

Well if I were to shoot a pigeon or crow with a FMJ : 1. Is it illegal? 2. Will it kill? Obviously I wouldn't if it's not appropriate but just wondering

Will_mck wrote: »
    Well if I were to shoot a pigeon or crow with a FMJ : 1. Is it illegal? 2. Will it kill? Obviously I wouldn't if it's not appropriate but just wondering

1. Don't know.

2. Haven't tried it, but imagine it will kill instantly - I have killed rabbits with FMJ's to just over 200 yds and I have never, ever lost one (missed? that's another story).

I usually tuck the round under the front shoulder (or try to, at least).

Will_mck wrote: »

It's not illegal but just don't do it Will_mck. Lets say you buy and zero your rifle with FMJ rounds, sure they'll kill a crow or pigeon at 200 yards but what if you meet a fox when you're out? Then you should definitely be asking yourself, will this be a clean kill.

For the sake of a few more cents a round the v-max are much better suited to the requirements you've listed above

I'd have concerns about shooting elevated birds with a 223. on the ground would be fine with a backstop.

Pretty expensive way to shoot a crow, though.

FMJ's are pretty hard to find this weather and those I've seen are overpriced by miles (except the unavailable Hornady Steel Match - expect a shock when they return - $ nearly same as Euro).

I found certain FMJ's that shoot within an inch of 55gr VMax @ 100yds and can change over when needed. I profiled several rounds and put the results on a note inside scope cap. I chose those that needed no change in aim for hunting purposes.

FMJ are not for everyone - in built-up areas (that's nearly everywhere, what with bungalow (now Georgian mansion) blight).

Don't overlook Fiocchi 50 gr HP's for cheap shooting ~30 for a box of 50 (European ammo is cheaper relatively) - as said, have not tried them, but the pills look very concentric and they appear well-manufactured; would be surprised if they did not shoot well.

If you don't mind paying 80c per round, then Fiocchi VMax 50 gr are an excellent choice, by all accounts.

Whatever you choose, give the ammo a good try before moving on to another brand.

And most of all, enjoy.

yubabill1 wrote: »
    I'd have concerns about shooting elevated birds with a 223. on the ground would be fine with a backstop.

I know you are not implying that I said shooting elevated birds with rifles is a good idea, but I'm with you 100% on that one. Shooting a cartridge rifle skywards is cause for serious concern.

On that note, I don't see anything from the OP which implies he is intending to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Another plug for the Fiocchi 50gr Vmax . I have used them out to 600 and as for rabbits or anything else... :) great round for the price! I didn't find anything in that price range that came close to their accuracy.

Hi again. Yeah I'd never ever shoot rounds skyward, I'd be talking about on a quiet days shooting if there was an odd crow or pigeon walking about a field with a suitable back stop behind them only. Yeah as you guys say I'll try to find one very good round for the gun and stick with that, must give these fiocchi vmax a go then. Thanks very much for the advice everyone. This boards malarkey's a great job!

Advertisement