Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surprise Ladybird Cake

Options
  • 17-06-2015 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Has anyone tried one of these type of cakes? I have all the gel colours, from making a rainbow cake. Thought it looks quite cute....I'd only do the ladybirds though, have no clue how they do the toadstools. From what I understand, you first make a batch of 'ladybirds' in a cake pop mold, piping in little black dots. You bake these and then arrange in a tin, and pour over a coloured cake mix and bake.

Anyone any experience of this type of cake?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/169940585915266804/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wow, amazing. I would guess the mushrooms are done in 2 bits, the stalks separate and the tops. Then stick a cocktail stick in them to hold them together, make sure the cocktail stick is coming out the bottom, now drop it into the tin with some cake mix in it already, so the stalks push the mix to the sides, now pour on more on top to cover the caps.

After baking you should be able to pull the toothpicks out from the underside.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

rubadub wrote: »
    wow, amazing. I would guess the mushrooms are done in 2 bits, the stalks separate and the tops. Then stick a cocktail stick in them to hold them together, make sure the cocktail stick is coming out the bottom, now drop it into the tin with some cake mix in it already, so the stalks push the mix to the sides, now pour on more on top to cover the caps.

After baking you should be able to pull the toothpicks out from the underside.

Oh hadn't thought of that, very clever of you! I'm baking it today, think I will just do the ladybirds as under time pressure but would love to do a toadstool cake sometime too. Thanks for advice. Hope I can carry this off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Can't wait to see pics! Best of luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Best of luck. I look forward to seeing a photo of the end result :)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Well I made it, was a bit of work and had to make several batches of 'ladybirds' as I wasn't putting enough black coloured batter into the red. Also I ran out of time decorating it....I only make a cake like this once a year, so slow working with the icing decorations.
    All in all it was a hit with the girlies...audible oohhhs from the 9 year olds when I cut it open.

Here's some photo's I managed to take.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's fabulous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I wouldn't use the toothpicks to hold your toadstools together however you should make them separate. I would advise that you don't use toothpicks as I personally advise and a lot of other people would too is not to use anything not edible on or in your cakes go ensure that no one eats them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bored_lad wrote: »
    I personally advise and a lot of other people would too is not
    I think a lot of people would simply advise to take them out, like I did...

Advertisement