Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas roadworks

Options
  • 17-06-2015 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what they're planning with these roadworks in Douglas, I see there that they've dug out some section under the overpass on the south Douglas road, are they planning to widen that section?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Found this circular from the council:
    Douglas Land Use Transportation Survey (DLUTS)

N40 Underbridge enabling works

Progress Update No.1

Wednesday 10th June 2015
    Pedestrain and Cycle Improvement Works at South Douglas Road & Douglas Road underbridges
    Douglas Land Use and Transport Study (DLUTS) was approved by members of Cork County Council in July 2013 and Part 8 planning was subsequently granted for various elements of the study.
    It encompasses Douglas village in the centre and spreads as far north as Cork International Airport and Clarkes Hill to the east.

One of the recommendations of the study refers to the N40 underbridges on the Douglas Road and the South Douglas Road. This will involve sections of the existing embankments being removed to provide additional space for pedestrians and cyclists in the future. This is to occur on both sides of the road on the South Douglas Road and on the eastern side of the road only on the Douglas Road.

These works will be carried out over the summer to minimise their impact on commuters, schools, etc. A contractor – MMD Ltd. - has been appointed and works will commence early on Monday morning 15th-June 2015.

The first phase will involve widening the footpath at the western side (left-hand side as you travel toward the city) of the South Douglas Road Bridge.

Vehicular Traffic: Temporary Traffic Management measures have been agreed with the Gardai and relevant Local Authorities. These measures will involve closing the current city-bound lane. City-bound traffic will use the current outbound right-turn lane. Advance warning signs and all necessary barriers etc will be put in place to ensure the safe passage of motorists through the works.

Pedestrians: Importantly, for safety reasons, pedestrian traffic along this western side of the bridge will have to be prohibited. An alternative route will be put in place and well-sign-posted. We would ask that all pedestrians would co-operate in using this safe alternative route. We regret any inconvenience caused.

Works to the eastern sides (right-hand side as you travel toward the city) of the South Douglas Road Bridge and the Douglas Road Bridge will follow on in the coming weeks. Further updates will advise you of the traffic measures to be put in place to facilitate those works.

We regret any inconvenience caused – all reasonable measures are being taken to minimise the impact of this work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

It's good to see this work happening, the existing footpath which serves two busy schools is pretty narrow and too close to the passing traffic.

Have to give credit to the council too for picking this time of year to do the work, secondary schools finished and primary schools finishing in a few weeks so probably the most quiet time of the year to carry out the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭onasis

It's good to see this work happening, the existing footpath which serves two busy schools is pretty narrow and too close to the passing traffic.

Have to give credit to the council too for picking this time of year to do the work, secondary schools finished and primary schools finishing in a few weeks so probably the most quiet time of the year to carry out the work.

I actually disagree with the timing of this tbh. My daughter is doing exams (Leaving Cert and Junior Cert are still on) and the school has to text us to let us know to leave extra time to arrive because of the works. It's great that its being done but another 2 weeks would have mad much more sense. Reminds me of when the roadworks on Maryborough Hill started just as the kids returned to school last September. Wonderful planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

onasis wrote: »
    I actually disagree with the timing of this tbh. My daughter is doing exams (Leaving Cert and Junior Cert are still on) and the school has to text us to let us know to leave extra time to arrive because of the works. It's great that its being done but another 2 weeks would have mad much more sense. Reminds me of when the roadworks on Maryborough Hill started just as the kids returned to school last September. Wonderful planning.

it is terrible timing but it would be worse if (when) they run late and schools all start back in august/september....

and the Maryborugh Hill junction is terrible all around, terrible planning, terrible timelines, and now you are constantly stopped at a red traffic light on the hill looking at an empty junction with nothing coming from maryborough woods/hotel.

it would also help if people stopped coming off the link at the roundabout and getting back on the link after coming under the bridge. i don't know why they do that in the first place but they are now blocking all the traffic trying to go straight on or turn left,

it would also help if traffic coming from the village itself would let the cars turning right onto the link make the turn every now and then instead of barging straight through the junction and getting stuck in traffic under the bridge because the traffic on the roundabout is backed up by the car turning right onto the link.... :mad:

onasis wrote: »

I suppose there is no perfect time and while it doesn't seem ideal for you and others doing the LC and JC (which must be nearly finished BTW) it does suit the general population using that route I would guess as school holidays approach.

As you mentioned, it's a pity they couldn't try and minimise disruption as the left turn lane onto the South Ring is now gone so all it takes is one car looking to turn left to hold up everything behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

all this disruption down to a cycle lane-what kind of muppets are in planning department?

down to 1 lane into the village if car up front is turning right it backs the traffic up .

the footpath which was already suitable has been expanded

gowls

The footpath is very narrow around there and there are a number of schools nearby. Makes sense to widen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Merged

walked it many times you could easily walk 2 a breast on it-this fascination with bicycles has no end even if the cycle tracks themselves randomly finish into walls and houses.

walked it many times you could easily walk 2 a breast on it
    And when a few hundred school-children are suddenly unleashed into the area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

TheChizler wrote: »
    And when a few hundred school-children are suddenly unleashed into the area?

Those schools you mention have been there for over 20 years now and not one incident.

I passed the South Douglas Road bridge today and for the life of me i see no reason whatsoever why the bloody barriers are still blocking the inbound lane, the work on the western side appears to be complete and if not then it is probably only minor works.
    The Gael Scoil adjacent to that bridge reopens on Thursday, so as you said kids will be unleashed as will the related traffic then. Why in heavens name can't the contractor finish off that side before starting on the opposite side?

Just on the fascination which planners have for bike lanes, are they planning on changing Irish weather as well. If so, excellent roll on decent summers.

kub wrote: »
    Those schools you mention have been there for over 20 years now and not one incident.

Your source for this? 6 vehicular collisions that involved pedestrians have occurred around those flyovers in the last 10 years, one serious. RSA.

And the 'fascination' with bike lanes (I'm not sure these works have anything to do with bike lanes specifically) is an effort to encourage cycling as an alternative to driving for both health and congestion relieving reasons. Given how one badly placed car can mess up both those junctions at rush hour you'll be glad when more people start cycling as part of their commute.

And the 'fascination' with bike lanes (I'm not sure these works have anything to do with bike lanes specifically) is an effort to encourage cycling as an alternative to driving for both health and congestion relieving reasons. Given how one badly placed car can mess up both those junctions at rush hour you'll be glad when more people start cycling as part of their commute.

I'm sorry but I don't buy this.
    Are you expecting these cyclists to turn out in such large numbers that it will relieve congestion on our roads?
    The majority of cyclists are of the fair weather type and once the cold rain arrives they will all be back in their cars.

Back on topic, I can't believe they are still working on that path, I really thought it would be well finished by school resumption.
    Oh and the road works on the Rochestown Road are going along at a new record slow rate, perhaps they will be finished for Christmas :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but I don't buy this.
    Are you expecting these cyclists to turn out in such large numbers that it will relieve congestion on our roads?
    The majority of cyclists are of the fair weather type and once the cold rain arrives they will all be back in their cars.

Back on topic, I can't believe they are still working on that path, I really thought it would be well finished by school resumption.
    Oh and the road works on the Rochestown Road are going along at a new record slow rate, perhaps they will be finished for Christmas :rolleyes:
    And on what basis are you saying that? It won't make it worse. Any small thing that can make it better in the long run is worth doing.

It has been very slow though. I saw them for the first time working on it last weekend and any time I've passed during normal working hours the site is abandoned. Very odd working hours.

Your source for this? 6 vehicular collisionsthat involved pedestrians have occurred around those flyovers in the last 10 years, one serious. RSA.

Those 6 vehicular collisions.....those involved school kids did they?

Cycling as an alternative to driving for health and congestion RELIEVING? Firstly i can see the health benefits, pity that they are inhaling vehicle exhaust fumes, that diesel is nasty stuff.

Now your point about congestion relieving, are you joking? Have you noticed the congestion cycle lanes have caused in the city centre? Look at Western Road out bound from Washington Street, I have never noticed traffic jams there out bound, until that cycle lane was put there, so i don't think the word relieving is really relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I walked under the bridge twice a day every day when I was in secondary school. I never thought the footpath that was there was particularly dangerous for pedestrians.

I walked under the bridge twice a day every day when I was in secondary school. I never thought the footpath that was there was particularly dangerous for pedestrians.

you see in today's PC and nanny-state society we must consider the absolute thicks among us. Those who might walk under that bridge hopping on and off footpaths or acting the total clown...you see suddenly now it's a dangerous footpath for pedestrians :rolleyes:

We can no longer consider risks for ourselves based on our past experiences/learnings...we now need the Government and countless 'Health & Safety' quangos organisations to do the thinking for us, always. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

In all fairness, how has building a footpath got anything to do with political correctness???

I'm going to leave it there. I've pointed out there are health benefits of cycling (you are exposed to the exact same diesel fumes in your car or walking, and the more people cycling means less vehicles around to pump out fumes) and evidence of clusters of car/pedestrian accidents around those underpasses and I can't really do much if people are going to ignore them.

They made a balls of douglas flyover over the cycle lane how can you justify this?

The delays this is causing is beyond belief,that path didnt need widening .

• Advertisement

Probably a situation where the council had to spend the money to ensure they get their full allocation next time around, that is the only reason I can think of.

Or are they going to say it is due to obsiety in this generation?

I had the pleasure of passing under the South Douglas Rd bridge earlier today, there is progress, the barriers on the Kinsale Rd side are moved back, but the bloody road is still only 2 lanes, as in no turn right as approaching the village, why? Because they have started on the opposite side.
    What a bloody joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

I drove under this pile of crap today and the cars approaching Douglas were backed up as far as the chemist due to the odd car turning right up top.Total joke no need for it.That path was grand as it was.

Be mental there when Douglas comm opens up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Whats the story with the lights at the round about people are just driving past them.joke of a situation the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

bunch of muppets they have started road works everywhere. Feck knows what they are doing to the Rochestown road, then one of the back roads in blackrock which fine needed replacing but it doesn't look like they are actually doing anything to the road... Another great big pile of money well spent

So now its actually worse than a few weeks ago,These morons who make these decisions should be made accountable for fixing something that wasnt broken.As said earlier the path did not need widening .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Weren't this roadworks suppose to be finished at the end of August. With the amount of work their doing I cant understand why its taking so long, each day there only seems to be a small bit done.

Yes i thought it was the end of August also, i did notice that when the project started that the contractors name seemed to be all over the place, it just does not seem to be so obvious now, I wonder why ;)

Thanks to these muppets the area is a total no go for traffic and pedestrians walking down that way well done planners.No consultation with the public about what the hell they are doing just like that manky tecsos that has taken over the whole village.

Traffic chaos at all times of the day now there.

Thanks to these muppets the area is a total no go for traffic and pedestrians walking down that way well done planners.No consultation with the public about what the hell they are doing just like that manky tecsos that has taken over the whole village.

Traffic chaos at all times of the day now there.
    It's hardly a no-go area, drive through there at least twice a day normally and it hasn't impacted on my journey times. They are taking their time with finishing it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

It's hardly a no-go area, drive through there at least twice a day normally and it hasn't impacted on my journey times. They are taking their time with finishing it though.

It's taking way too long, getting beyond a joke now.

Advertisement