Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flying to Heathrow

• 17-06-2015 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm flying to Heathrow with Aer Lingus in a couple of weeks, arriving around 10.30pm. I was wondering what's the best way to get into the city centre from there and how long it takes, price etc.

Obviously the cheaper the better but I have to get a train from Charing Cross from there and I think the last train leaves around midnight.

Thanks, Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Your best bet would surely be the Heathrow Express/Connect to Paddington and from there take the bakerloo line direct to Charing Cross

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭threebagsfull

The Heathrow Express to Paddington is £40 return, bear in mind. Takes 15 mins though. If you just take the Picadilly line in to the city centre it would take about 40 minutes I think.
    https://www.tfl.gov.uk is very useful for planning.

To be honest I don't think you'll have much time if last train is 12 from Charing Cross, so you should probably spring for the Heathrow Express at least one way, £26.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,735 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yup. 90 minutes is not a lot of time to land, get off the plane, get landside, leave the terminal, make your way to the transport centre, get into London, get to Charing Cross, get to your train. The corridors in Heathrow are very long.

Your priority here has to be speed, not cost. The Heathrow Express is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Brian2208

Yeah I was worried I wasn't leaving myself enough time. I haven't booked the flight yet anyway so I'll just book an earlier one. No point getting stranded for the sake of a few quid extra!

Thanks for your help everyone :)

• Advertisement

Brian2208 wrote: »
    Yeah I was worried I wasn't leaving myself enough time. I haven't booked the flight yet anyway so I'll just book an earlier one. No point getting stranded for the sake of a few quid extra!

Yeah if you get an earlier flight then you can just take the normal Picadilly line and save your money that way.
    Bear in mind Air France fly from Dublin to London City Airport and can often be the same price. The DLR train ticket is cheaper as you're closer to the city centre, and it's much more pleasant as airports go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ya you can trade off the cost of the express vs an earlier flight and the guarantee of making your train. Even using the express train you would be pushing it for midnight.

If anything went wrong at either end and you were delayed at all then you're screwed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Yeah if you get an earlier flight then you can just take the normal Picadilly line and save your money that way.
    Bear in mind Air France fly from Dublin to London City Airport and can often be the same price. The DLR train ticket is cheaper as you're closer to the city centre, and it's much more pleasant as airports go.

BA and Cityjet do London City airport. Makes life a lot easier than coming in from West London on Tube or express to Paddington

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    BA and Cityjet do London City airport. Makes life a lot easier than coming in from West London on Tube or express to Paddington

Yeah Cityjet is flying the route for Air France, or whatever their arrangement is, I'm not sure. Didn't know BA did it though, cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

They only started last November, if I remember correctly! They're flying the Embraers on the route, pretty comfortable. Flybe did it for around 6 months with a turboprop but seem to have given up on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Would it not be easier to fly to luton or stansted and get the train to kings cross and tube to charing cross?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Where are you ultimately going? You might find there's a better combination than heathrow - charing cross - destination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Would it not be easier to fly to luton or stansted and get the train to kings cross and tube to charing cross?

No sure Heathrow is quicker than those two for getting into the city centre

Heathrow - Express Train 15mins
    Luton - Bus+Train ~45mins
    Stansted - Express train 45mins

City Airport is handier provided the price is right

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anbocmorrua

I'd say no chance of getting off the plane and being at Charing X for midnight. I'd be interested to know if the OP managed it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Brian2208

I'd say no chance of getting off the plane and being at Charing X for midnight. I'd be interested to know if the OP managed it though!

I'm going this weekend. I took everyone's advice and just booked an earlier flight. Shouldn't have any problems making it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I'm going this weekend. I took everyone's advice and just booked an earlier flight. Shouldn't have any problems making it now!

In which case, Piccadilly Line to South Ken and swap to District/Circle.

Advertisement