Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusually high UV forecast for Thursday

Options
  • 17-06-2015 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭

Just looking at the UV forecast for tomorrow and it's giving a 7 across most of the country. I'm sure some places in the south and south east will reach 8 which puts it in the "very high" category. 7 is quite rare in this country and I don't ever remember an 8 in Ireland. Anyone have any stats from their own equipment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

highdef wrote: »
    Just looking at the UV forecast for tomorrow and it's giving a 7 across most of the country. I'm sure some places in the south and south east will reach 8 which puts it in the "very high" category. 7 is quite rare in this country and I don't ever remember an 8 in Ireland. Anyone have any stats from their own equipment?

where did you get this info? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

I got it from the UK Met Office website. it doesn't give figures for ROI but it's easy to figure it out, going by the forecast for other areas of the UK and the fact that a fair bit of sun is forecast for Ireland tomorrow - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/health/public/uvindex#?tab=map&map=MaxUVIndex&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.58&fcTime=1434585600
    I got my figures by looking at the forecast levels for 13:00 tomorrow, Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

It seems that ozone plays a part, see for example the following forecast for Loughlinstown - http://www.temis.nl/uvradiation/nrt/uvindex.php?lon=-6.1338&lat=53.2486

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Agreed about the ozone part being rather important with regards to the radiation levels getting to us. The weather lady on BBC weather earlier actually mentioned that the UV levels are to be unusually high tomorrow due to a combination of 3 things:
    1. Closeness to the summer equinox
    2. Widespread full sunshine during the daytime hours
    3. Lower than normal levels of ozone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I would say that this is much ado about nothing. Hardly surprising that UV levels would be high, or this high, at this time of year, what with us being less than a week away from the Summer solstice and stuff.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

I got badly sunburned on the 10th. It's the by far worst I've had in Ireland during June and my back is still peeling. I put loads of Tesco brand aftersun on and it did nothing. I thought it might ave been the cheap aftersun, but maybe it's something to do with low ozone levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I got badly sunburned on the 10th. It's the by far worst I've had in Ireland during June and my back is still peeling. I put loads of Tesco brand aftersun on and it did nothing. I thought it might ave been the cheap aftersun, but maybe it's something to do with low ozone levels.

did you put sunblock on?

Advertisement