Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General FPL Chat 2015/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

@BonmahonHammers
    Where's the ambition? Every league bar the Premier League?!

Probably thought people might find it annoying if they entered a league they weren't meant to! At least they didn't ask how to find their ID as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

See you in 2018/19 :cool:

Hopefully I'm still up there then and don't pass you out on the way down

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BonmahonHammers

Sorry guys i misunderstood the way it worked! havent done it through boards before i thought once you gave the id that it wud just get added to random leagues! oops!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

As a Utd fan was thinking of Rooney and possibly Shaw...defence will definitely be improved by Bastian and Carrick being in team....and can see Rooney playing off the shoulder of last defender up top this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Sorry guys i misunderstood the way it worked! havent done it through boards before i thought once you gave the id that it wud just get added to random leagues! oops!!
    Yeah it'd be difficult to understand if you weren't used to it to be fair, people will always make that mistake. No hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Ighalo scored again today for Watford against Wimbledon. The opposition keeper kicked the ball off his arse and it looped over him and in.

That's the sort of luck I want on my team :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

When will matteo darmian be added. I assume he will start over valanica so hoping its 5!

declan2693 wrote: »
    When will matteo darmian be added. I assume he will start over valanica so hoping its 5!
    New players will be added within 7 days of their transfer being completed.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/rules/

I would imagine they will be quicker at this time of year. I am guessing he will be added on Monday. Guessing he will come in at 5.5 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I decided that I hadn't had enough of a break when the game re-opened, so only catching up on all the news since yesterday. A bit pissed off at the new chips feature, but c'est la vie. Now for the headaches to begin...can't wait :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Got a solid if not perfect side together. Midfield of Hazard, Erikson, Walcott, Silva and Mata. Lafferty up front though, subject to change. Striking options are crap anyways. Going for Jay Rod and Deeny/Cisse/Stoke player to save

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

The most picked players so far

I2eOiZL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I only have 3 of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Wanyama at 4.5 must be everyone's 5th midfielder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

I don't like picking 5th mids from teams I could see myself trebling up on, but as of now I have no other Soton players so he's in my side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Why would you pick him? He doesn't do anything apart from getting minutes.

• Advertisement

Why would you pick him? He doesn't do anything apart from getting minutes.

That's all you need from a 4.5m mid. Anya has been playing fullback otherwise they're all defensive

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Looks like Sterling to City is happening, could be an interesting option if he gets back to his top form.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I'm looking at mulumbu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Looks like Sterling to City is happening, could be an interesting option if he gets back to his top form.

I'm really starting to think a loaded midfield may actually be the way to go at the start this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Paully D wrote: »
    I'm really starting to think a loaded midfield may actually be the way to go at the start this year.

Gonna have a serious look at 352 all right.

• Advertisement

Sterling to Man City agreed apparently.

I'm looking at mulumbu

That is a very excellent shout....

Schneiderlin having medical at Man U according to BBC

Back on team names for a minute, does this work or will I stick with The Kolarov Mané??

manual_man wrote: »
    Schneiderlin having medical at Man U according to BBC

Manchester United could be very solid at the back with the acquisition of him and Schweinsteiger.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Manchester United could be very solid at the back with the acquisition of him and Schweinsteiger.

Can be hard to predict how these things go but I think I'll be starting with a united defender.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I'll wait and see. Lots of new starters for them, especially if DDG leaves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Who will be the paired next to fonte, will it be yoshida?

declan2693 wrote: »
    Who will be the paired next to fonte, will it be yoshida?

More than likely they're going to bring someone in. Yoshida at that price would be pretty dam tempting otherwise!

I have been completely cheapening out on defence on all of my mock teams so far which has been worrying me slightly. I almost always find the need to play my wildcard early (by GW3) so I thought it'd be interesting to have a look at how the bigger teams (who therefore tend to have the most expensive defenders) got on from gameweeks 1-3 over the last 5 seasons to see if there's a trend in showing whether it's a position worth splashing out the initial cash on.

The number beside each team is the amount of clean sheets they kept overall from gameweeks 1-3 inclusive for each of the following seasons:

2014/2015

Chelsea - 1
    Manchester City - 1
    Manchester United - 1
    Arsenal - 0
    Liverpool - 1

2013/2014

Chelsea - 2
    Manchester City - 2
    Manchester United - 1
    Arsenal - 1
    Liverpool - 3

2012/2013

Chelsea - 2
    Manchester City - 0
    Manchester United - 0
    Arsenal - 3
    Liverpool - 0

2011/2012

Chelsea - 1
    Manchester City - 1
    Manchester United - 1
    Arsenal - 1
    Liverpool - 1

2010/2011

Chelsea - 3
    Manchester City - 2
    Manchester United - 2
    Arsenal - 1
    Liverpool - 1

Average amount of clean sheets kept by the so called bigger teams from GW's 1-3 over the last 5 seasons = 1.3. My own personal opinion is if you play the fixtures a bit, there's numerous £4.5m defenders this season who will get you 1 clean sheet over the course of the first 3 games. It's no easy feat on hitting on them granted and takes a bit of luck, but it's certainly possible.

So yeah, while I personally always think it looks strange when I create a team with no representatives of the big teams in defence, it may not actually be a bad idea when starting off, especially if you tend to wildcard early.

Going cheap, using the freed up cash to increase your attacking output where it's easier to predict how things will go and therefore having more time to see patterns emerge before changing things up with the wildcard seems like a canny idea. It also allows things such as the promoted sides bubble to burst a bit, new signings to integrate, teams to settle etc. Last year for example Villa went on a ridiculous run of clean sheets at the start of the season, so if you'd gone for a Villa defender over a £6m Arsenal defender in your initial team you were laughing.

This season, if you went for 2 £4.5m defenders early on this season instead of say 2 £5.5m's from the top teams, that's a £2m saving overall and perhaps the difference between starting off with a Bolasie/Tadic/Cabella type £6.5m midfield player and an £8.5m Mata/Depay/Ozil/for example.

Your thoughts?

• Advertisement

jimmii wrote: »
    More than likely they're going to bring someone in. Yoshida at that price would be pretty dam tempting otherwise!

i fancy Vlaar might make the move to the Saints. himself and Fonte could form a decent partnership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

As a Utd fan was thinking of Rooney and possibly Shaw...defence will definitely be improved by Bastian and Carrick being in team....and can see Rooney playing off the shoulder of last defender up top this year.

Will definitely have some Man U players in my team but I'm holding off to see who they sign next. Schneiderlin & Schweinsteiger add real strength to their midfield and make their defenders and attackers really appealing. If they sell DeGea and don't sign a striker or goalkeeper then Depay and Valdes could be real bargains. If they sign someone like Benteke or Kane then they will be the ones to go for.

I have been completely cheapening out on defence on all of my mock teams so far which has been worrying me slightly. I almost always find the need to play my wildcard early (by GW3) so I thought it'd be interesting to have a look at how the bigger teams (who therefore tend to have the most expensive defenders) got on from gameweeks 1-3 over the last 5 seasons to see if there's a trend in showing whether it's a position worth splashing out the initial cash on.

The number beside each team is the amount of clean sheets they kept overall from gameweeks 1-3 inclusive for each of the following seasons:

2014/2015

Chelsea - 1
    Manchester City - 1
    Manchester United - 1
    Arsenal - 0
    Liverpool - 1

2013/2014

Chelsea - 2
    Manchester City - 2
    Manchester United - 1
    Arsenal - 1
    Liverpool - 3

2012/2013

Chelsea - 2
    Manchester City - 0
    Manchester United - 0
    Arsenal - 3
    Liverpool - 0

2011/2012

Chelsea - 1
    Manchester City - 1
    Manchester United - 1
    Arsenal - 1
    Liverpool - 1

2010/2011

Chelsea - 3
    Manchester City - 2
    Manchester United - 2
    Arsenal - 1
    Liverpool - 1

Average amount of clean sheets kept by the so called bigger teams from GW's 1-3 over the last 5 seasons = 1.3. My own personal opinion is if you play the fixtures a bit, there's numerous £4.5m defenders this season who will get you 1 clean sheet over the course of the first 3 games. It's no easy feat on hitting on them granted and takes a bit of luck, but it's certainly possible.

So yeah, while I personally always think it looks strange when I create a team with no representatives of the big teams in defence, it may not actually be a bad idea when starting off, especially if you tend to wildcard early.

Going cheap, using the freed up cash to increase your attacking output where it's easier to predict how things will go and therefore having more time to see patterns emerge before changing things up with the wildcard seems like a canny idea. It also allows things such as the promoted sides bubble to burst a bit, new signings to integrate, teams to settle etc. Last year for example Villa went on a ridiculous run of clean sheets at the start of the season, so if you'd gone for a Villa defender over a £6m Arsenal defender in your initial team you were laughing.

This season, if you went for 2 £4.5m defenders early on this season instead of say 2 £5.5m's from the top teams, that's a £2m saving overall and perhaps the difference between starting off with a Bolasie/Tadic/Cabella type £6.5m midfield player and an £8.5m Mata/Depay/Ozil/for example.

Your thoughts?

I nearly always start off with a cheap defence. I think last year it was 8.5 on gks and three 4.5 and two 4.0 defs. I'll be doing much the same again but will probably be five 4.5 defs as I can't see any playing 4.0 defs. Utd and arsenal defs were all the rage at the start of last season. I much prefer to spend big on my front 8 and upgrade defenders as trends develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I nearly always start off with a cheap defence. I think last year it was 8.5 on gks and three 4.5 and two 4.0 defs. I'll be doing much the same again but will probably be five 4.5 defs as I can't see any playing 4.0 defs. Utd and arsenal defs were all the rage at the start of last season. I much prefer to spend big on my front 8 and upgrade defenders as trends develop.

This is the route I'll be following also. The likes of Joel Ward and O'Shea at 4.5 look decent value.

Lemlin wrote: »
    This is the route I'll be following also. The likes of Joel Ward and O'Shea at 4.5 look decent value.

I'll go o shea or Coates. Not sure on ward palace seem more geared to attack under pardew they didn't keep many cs last year when he came in. Between sun new sto palace bou nor Wat lei there are a lot of 4.5 options . You only need to pick 3 out of 5 and I'm always happy if I get 1 cs from my 3 playing defs anything else is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Liam2012

With Sterling gone to Man City, does that rule out Nasri as a solid option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Liam2012 wrote: »
    With Sterling gone to Man City, does that rule out Nasri as a solid option?

Was Nasri ever a solid option?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

jimmii wrote: »
    All out attack play. Triple Captain. Bench boost. WTF!!!

Can one of these be chosen/played each and every week or are these once off options you can only play once during the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Ive generally done this in the past, but I'm trying something slightly different this year. I want to build in some flexibility in my squad this year from the start. So I'm going to go with one 5.5/6.0 defender (and then the rest 4.5/4.0). I just feel that if someone like Ivanovic starts to rip it up, it's difficult to get him in with all 4.0/4.5 defenders. If I have 1 6.0 player, it's not such a big move.

I think that makes this a bit easier (this year) if that there a good options in the 7.0 midfield range.

I am torn slightly on this though, as I think there are a lot of good options of 4.5 defenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Even before they buy the striker that they surely have to before the season starts it's very difficult to predict how united will line up and who will be certain to play 90% of the games. I felt myself that Herrera deserved a run in the team for his form towards the end of last year, now himself and Fellaini are sure to be frozen out. If you add a new striker to the mix where does that leave Rooney, Mata, Di Maria, Depay. Then you have Blind and Januzaj as well as a couple of others.
    If these signings go ahead how do you see united lining out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

De Gea
    Darmian Smalling Rojo/new cb Shaw
    Schneiderlin Schweinstiger Herrera
    Di Maria Rooney Depay

That's what I'd like to see .
    433. Herrera the one to get forward the most from midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    De Gea
    Darmian Smalling Rojo/new cb Shaw
    Schneiderlin Schweinstiger Herrera
    Di Maria Rooney Depay

That's what I'd like to see .
    433. Herrera the one to get forward the most from midfield.

That'll give us 4 decent attacking options there. Quite a few will be put out though after having decent enough seasons last year.
    If Rooney is to suffer a medium term injury there's no back up, I'm no United fan but I don't think that will be allowed to happen. Surely they'll sign a striker????

Ive generally done this in the past, but I'm trying something slightly different this year. I want to build in some flexibility in my squad this year from the start. So I'm going to go with one 5.5/6.0 defender (and then the rest 4.5/4.0). I just feel that if someone like Ivanovic starts to rip it up, it's difficult to get him in with all 4.0/4.5 defenders. If I have 1 6.0 player, it's not such a big move.

I think that makes this a bit easier (this year) if that there a good options in the 7.0 midfield range.

I am torn slightly on this though, as I think there are a lot of good options of 4.5 defenders.

I'm in the yellow pack defence club myself but I agree with this, I'm thinking one 5.5 and the rest 4.5 and a 4.0 (we will find one lads!). I may also go for a one keeper strategy with Myhill.

If Shaw looks likely to start based on preseason (and I think he will) he'll be my 5.5 probably, esp given the uncertainty in uniteds midfield now. Darmian might be a safer option assuming he's the same price.

MT2.0 is a possibly 3 week 4.0 def btw, esp if you're looking at wildcarding early,.

Tbh I haven't looked at it yet in great detail. However in my initial draft I have azpil in there however it's quite easy to do that as I have neither aguero or sanchez due to starting issues. When it gets closer to the time though I'd imagine I'll go budget as I'd be far more concerned with having the funds available for aguero or sanchez than the likes of Ivan or terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

FHFC wrote: »
    I'm in the yellow pack defence club myself but I agree with this, I'm thinking one 5.5 and the rest 4.5 and a 4.0 (we will find one lads!). I may also go for a one keeper strategy with Myhill.

If Shaw looks likely to start based on preseason (and I think he will) he'll be my 5.5 probably, esp given the uncertainty in uniteds midfield now. Darmian might be a safer option assuming he's the same price.

MT2.0 is a possibly 3 week 4.0 def btw, esp if you're looking at wildcarding early,.

Keep an eye on friendly line-ups, with Bertrand out for a while Targett may well be that elusive 4m starter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Cuco Martina played at LB for the Saints over the weekend which means my plans for Targett may be foiled 2 years in a row.

Can one of these be chosen/played each and every week or are these once off options you can only play once during the season?

You can use each one just one time. And you can only use one of your chips in a gw. So you can't WC and triple captain or bench boost at the same time. Something to think about when it comes to dgw planning.

Lemlin wrote: »

Yeah, me too. I'll probably go with 1 £4m who has a chance of playing (I'm on Steven Taylor at the moment. If they don't sign anyone else I think he's the type of CB McClaren will actually like) but elsewhere it'll be £4.5m across the board.

Something like O'Shea, Huth, Taylor and 2 £4.5m's from say Norwich and Watford gives you a nice run of fixtures from GW's 1-3 and I'd wager that it wouldn't be too far off the 1.3 clean sheets average that the big teams average. I'll re-evaluate the defence when I wildcard to bring Aguero in.

In fact, if you are to go with the above priced defense along with Myhill and a £4m, it's easily possible to go get Hazard, Silva, Rooney, Costa and Kane into your starting side. I haven't spent much time on it, but the below is a mess around side I came up with just to look at how much more money can be put into your strikeforce with the extra cash (substitute Anya for whatever £4.5m midifelder):

0be2536c39c23ac41264419a4fe535d6.png

Nice to see that others are planning on starting off the same way anyway to reinforce my own thought process.

Begovic to Chelsea done deal

AdpRo wrote: »
    Keep an eye on friendly line-ups, with Bertrand out for a while Targett may well be that elusive 4m starter!

That's who MT2.0 is!! :D
    Cuco Martina played at LB for the Saints over the weekend which means my plans for Targett may be foiled 2 years in a row.

Still a decent chance Target will get the spot. Did he not play a half?

• Advertisement
Advertisement