Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General FPL Chat 2015/16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

It's only hard if you have Aguero in your team! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

As much as experienced players will plan for their chips, predicting when your bench will perform is more about luck than anything else. It's too gimmicky for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

FHFC wrote: »
    Jesus I forgot how hard it was to pick a team on 100m!!

Aguero, Sanchez, and Hazard in a GW3 or 4 team will be real tough. Hopefully the other Arsenal mids can keep pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

It's only hard if you have Aguero in your team! :(

This.

As much as experienced players will plan for their chips, predicting when your bench will perform is more about luck than anything else. It's too gimmicky for me

It's probably best played in a DGW37 since you won't have to worry about ruining your squad structure afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Are we going with Aguero and/or Sanchez from the start? Lot of coin to be sitting on your bench for a few weeks.

Without them it's much easier to pick your team!

Doing my initial draft I found I've one good keeper, then at the back there's lots of 5.5m options available. In midfield, without the real big guys (see above), there's lots of options in the 7.0-7.5 range. Up front is a bit of a lottery, could be a lot of Aguero + 2 x 5.5m striker teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

@shedite27 going with neither

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Anyone got a copy of the player list for someone who can't access the site in work?

Will be PMing FSA invitations tonight btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The 3 chip thing is just ridiculous.

While the more hardcore players will certainly put more thought into how to play them properly and when they may be most effective, it still doesn't make any difference to how well they will work out. It's hard enough as it is when spending significant time planning to get things right. This just increases the chances of your planning/time being a waste and being outdone by a fluke.

It's a stupid gimmick aimed at keeping the 5 minutes a week crowd involved instead of the time = reward crowd blowing them out of the water by the end of September, thus increasing traffic to the site.

Next year you'll probably be able to buy an additional 10 points a gameweek for a subscription fee :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Man City's team is a bit depleted to say the least!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Picked a quick team but won't be putting any real effort in 'til the last week of pre season tbh. Too much up in the air at the moment.

Not a fan of the new "chips" myself.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Are we going with Aguero and/or Sanchez from the start? Lot of coin to be sitting on your bench for a few weeks.

Without them it's much easier to pick your team!

No Aguero until GW4 and no Sanchez at all ideally. If need be, Silva can turn into Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Paully D wrote: »
    The 3 chip thing is just ridiculous.

While the more hardcore players will certainly put more thought into how to play them properly and when they may be most effective, it still doesn't make any difference to how well they will work out. It's hard enough as it is when spending significant time planning to get things right. This just increases the chances of your planning/time being a waste and being outdone by a fluke.

It's a stupid gimmick aimed at keeping the 5 minutes a week crowd involved instead of the time = reward crowd blowing them out of the water by the end of September, thus increasing traffic to the site.

Next year you'll probably be able to buy an additional 10 points a gameweek for a subscription fee :rolleyes:

Disagree. They'll just blow them early. People who put time and effort into their team will always be awarded

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

CSF wrote: »
    Will be PMing FSA invitations tonight btw.

If you want, I can set up a H2H for League 1.
    Your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

I'll glance after work. Chips seek dumb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

since now there is a chip for 3 captains does that 3 players are doubled?

Is now that captain & vice captain now double points are is it still the same as last year?

declan2693 wrote: »
    since now there is a chip for 3 captains does that 3 players are doubled?

Is now that captain & vice captain now double points are is it still the same as last year?

Same as before except one week your captain scores triple points instead of double.

Same as before except one week your captain scores triple points instead of double.

oooh cant is guna make life a b*tch :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

anything that makes it more likely that luck will play a part is bad.

however, it makes sense from a mass appeal point of view. you're going to keep the casual sucked in for longer with the changes.

it'll be up to the experienced player to try and make the rules work for them.

the cream will probably rise, but I am nervous. we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Like others not happy with the rule changes it's gonna increase the luck element of the game.

• Advertisement

As a relative newcomer, is this the most fundamental change to the rules ever? Was there always a second wildcard?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Was there always a second wildcard?

Nope that was added in a few years ago

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

As a relative newcomer, is this the most fundamental change to the rules ever? Was there always a second wildcard?

The addition of the first WC would have been the most dramatic change up until now. Never seen anything like this at all. The only season with more fundamental changes than this was when it went from there being no FPL to there being FPL!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Ah look it is what it is. I despise change as much as the next rational person does but we're all in it together. The people who use these chips randomly are less likely to be in a position to punish those who put the work in. The whole game is down to luck in one form or another.

If anything it'll punish those who like a gamble even more. The 2nd wildcard will be used by most for the week before a DGW and the subs chip will be used the week of a DGW. The triple captain will be used for a DGW too. Anyone who doesn't follow that pattern will be going for the risk and reward approach. Sure somebody will stick it on Bolasie the week he scores 4 against Chelsea but you'd just have to applaud the audacity of something like that.

An extra but of spice to things will make it all the more interesting anyway. It's the business end of the season where these will really come into play.

It seems normal deadlines are 11:45 now too on Saturdays so an extra 15 minutes in bed :)

Bloody hell, just sat down to put a mock team together and I have to say this is particularly difficult this season, isn't it?

Most people would have Aguero and Sanchez in their sides but with the Copa America neither is likely to be much of an option until gameweek 3 or 4 which throws the cat among the pigeons straight away.

Looking through the price list and a few random things that stand out for me personally:

- I like the prices of the Stoke defenders (Wollschied, Bardsley, Cameron, Wilson and Muniesa all £4.5m) due to the fact that they rotate superbly with someone like van Aanholt for the first 10+ weeks. Stoke as a whole seem to be very favourably priced.

- Manchester United. Mata (and Di Maria after a few weeks) £8.5m, lovely prices. I know most of us said this last season too which didn't really work out, but with their fixtures I think we need coverage from United from the off, definitely attacking anyway. Defensively they are priced favourably for anyone looking for a 2nd "big" defender alongside say a Terry/Ivanovic. And the one that stands out most to me - Rooney at £10.5m. He should be back to being the main man up front this season (as things stand anyway) with Van Persie and Falcao gone, thus reducing the risk of needlessly shifting him out to be midfield to give the others gametime. A very fair price for a proven, big time player who has averaged 17 goals and 9 assists over the last 4 years of the game.

- Southampton. A cracking set of opening fixtures and quite well priced throughout (though I have seen others say the opposite which I disagree with). Defensive and attacking coverage appeals. Someone like a Jay Rodriguez at his price (£7m) would be a great 3rd striking option considering the expensive that Aguero and Sanchez put on teams this year, if he could get back to how his was before the injury.

- The £0.5m price increases for players such as Pantilimon and van Aanholt makes things much, much harder.

- Liverpool defenders are relatively very cheap and deserve real consideration despite their opening away fixtures.

- With no GK over £5.5m, going for big team GK such as Courtois or Cech may be the way to go for an extra £0.5m as opposed to cheapies.

- Even at £7.5m, I think Sigurdsson offers value as a 4th midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I'm not sure of Southamptons defence.
    Forster still out injured ,Bertrand out for first few weeks ,Clyne & Toby gone , Schneiderlin likely gone too.
    I won't be jumping on them from the start anyway.

Good roundup Paully, I'd also add that West Ham's great start and likely much higher fitness levels should be taken advantage of. Their defenders at the moment are a little too high unless someone like Yedlin goes there to play RB. Sakho was straight into my initial team
    - Southampton. A cracking set of opening fixtures and quite well priced throughout (though I have seen others say the opposite which I disagree with). Defensive and attacking coverage appeals. Someone like a Jay Rodriguez at his price (£7m) would be a great 3rd striking option considering the expensive that Aguero and Sanchez put on teams this year, if he could get back to how his was before the injury.

I'll be steering clear of Southampton most likely. I can see them conceding in 5 of their first 6 matches and Mane is overpriced.
    - The £0.5m price increases for players such as Pantilimon and van Aanholt makes things much, much harder
    Adam Matthews ;). Very attacking fullback that should start at RB and is 4.5m
    - Liverpool defenders are relatively very cheap and deserve real consideration despite their opening away fixtures.
    Sakho looks great value to me

F1ngers wrote: »
    If you want, I can set up a H2H for League 1.
    Your call.

I will need people to do this so yeah, set it up and PM me the code. Thanks mate

Whats the story with Ben Foster will be be out long?

• Advertisement

October.

There's going to be value in Watford this season. Deeney only 5.5 and Anya 4.5 are the only players I'm really familiar with so far though. Ighalo at 5 scored 2 goals yesterday too I think in a friendly, definitely got one.

If only by some sheer miracle Mickey T reclaims a starting spot it'll be the greatest day of all time at 4.0.

Southampton have started strong the last 2 seasons to everyone's surprise on both occasions. The first month or so will be Europa League free I presume so it's probably early or never for the Saints this season. Cedric Soares is 5.0 which could be popular and J-Rod at 7 is 0.5 more than I hoped.

Southampton have started strong the last 2 seasons to everyone's surprise on both occasions. The first month or so will be Europa League free I presume so it's probably early or never for the Saints this season. Cedric Soares is 5.0 which could be popular and J-Rod at 7 is 0.5 more than I hoped.

They start in the 3rd qualifying round on Aug 6/13 and would then play Aug 20/27 if they advance

They start in the 3rd qualifying round on Aug 6/13 and would then play Aug 20/27 if they advance

Ah well that's that then :o

October.

Means a Myhill and a 4m cheapie might be a valid strategy for the first month or so, given a GW4, 5 (or 6 at most) wildcard is almost certain.

Great roundup Paully, thats why I love this forum!! Not sure about Stoke defensively though, they continually disappointed last year conceding few goals in a high percentage of games.

I think Payet at WHU could be worth a look going by what I've heard about him. Also De Jong at 6.5 could be interesting. A LOT of mid options in the 6.5-7.5 range.

For some reason when I first looked at Sunderland I couldnt see Matthews but he's been on my radar too.

No sign at all yet of my very favourite preseason thing, a 4.0 defender with a decent chance of starting.

For some reason when I first looked at Sunderland I couldnt see Matthews but he's been on my radar too.

No sign at all yet of my very favourite preseason thing, a 4.0 defender with a decent chance of starting.

They added him a few hours after launch.
    I have Hoban at Watford in provisionally but I doubt he's a starter. We might need some sales or injuries

• Advertisement

what do ppl think of yaya @ 8.5 compared to silva?

especially if city plays 2 up front

Also, I'm very tempted by Shaw at 5.5

Read somewhere that he'd been doing a special training programme and was impressing LVG with his effort. The difficult first season out of the way he could be great if playing wing back.

Read somewhere that he'd been doing a special training programme and was impressing LVG with his effort. The difficult first season out of the way he could be great if playing wing back.

It's true, he's fit and has lost weight. But United are likely to play 4 at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I wonder will Deulofeu start for Everton? Could be a hidden gem there.

It's true, he's fit and has lost weight. But United are likely to play 4 at the back.

True, and I hope they do. But Shaw would still interest me as a very attack minded full back at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

what do ppl think of yaya @ 8.5 compared to silva?

especially if city plays 2 up front

yaya is 8.5.........very interesting
    would not touch Silva at 10 ml
    di maria at 8.5 possibly even lower after a few weeks out.......valdes or lloris could be uniteds goalie at 5ml
    depay also 8.5 .....there is value in United's midfield
    unless there are a few strikers bought by big teams 352 may be the way to go !

Silva's one of the first names on my teamsheet. He was amazing last season with or without Kun and is a no brainer for me with Kun to be eased in. Yaya at 8.5m and maybe pens for two matches is tempting, but I think he's declining and can only muster those box to box runs on a rare occasion.

With Courtois at £5.5m, is Terry/Ivanovic going to be worth the extra £1.5m?

Also, am I the only one that has been championing a must need for West Brom defensive coverage because of Pulis, yet strongly thinking about going without anyone from the Baggies until they play their first wildcard due to opening fixtures?

PS - what do people think about building a team with just the first 3/4 weeks in mind? I.e., if you always use your wildcard around that stage and this year for example if you knew you were going to use it to bring Aguero back in for GW4. A good strategy or too many things that can go wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I remember Jonny Evans impressing LVG at this stage last season!

I haven't even a team id yet. Let the madness begin. This forum was moving along slowly and I log in today to see a host of new pages to read!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Also, am I the only one that has been championing a must need for West Brom defensive coverage because of Pulis, yet strongly thinking about going without anyone from the Baggies until they play their first wildcard due to opening fixtures?

PS - what do people think about building a team with just the first 3/4 weeks in mind? I.e., if you always use your wildcard around that stage and this year for example if you knew you were going to use it to bring Aguero back in for GW4. A good strategy or too many things that can go wrong?

Lescott's a reliable 5.0 choice, so have him on the bench, anyway.

Agree on all counts. Hard to justify Terry or Ivan at current budget when you can cover all Chelsea clean sheets for a precious 1.5 less.

I made the comment above about a Myhill one keeper strategy then looked WBA first three home fixtures and that plan got a bit less likely, if not completely ruled out.

I never usually like to paint myself into a corner where I have to use the wildcard early, I like to keep the option open if I get a good start to keep it. But there is no value in keeping it this year IMO so I think it's a valid strategy to pick a team for a 4 or 5 week horizon. The only problem is Aguero could be back for GW2 potentially and if he hits the ground running you could be forced to pull the trigger very very early. I'm hoping to set up to have bring Aguero in without wildcard, but will be playing it by week 6 at latest and picking my team accordingly from the off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Can see Ibe getting a lot of game time this season. Could be an early steal at 5 million. Zouma is going to be playing even more football this season too. Good value for 5.5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just seen these new features. All out attack, triple points, bench players score. Looking at it you can only select one. Are they limited on the number of times you can use?

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Just seen these new features. All out attack, triple points, bench players score. Looking at it you can only select one. Are they limited on the number of times you can use?

Once each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Can you only use one at a time I wonder? Would love to go balls out with all three in a week!

• Advertisement
Advertisement