Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General FPL Chat 2015/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Uniteds defence has gone seriously under the radar. 4/5 CS's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

jpboard1 wrote: »
    Can't believe I benched Mahrez...

Can't believe I sold Mahrez :mad:

PARlance wrote: »
    Uniteds defence has gone seriously under the radar. 4/5 CS's

Probably because its just so horrible to watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

jpboard1 wrote: »
    Funnily enough, if West Brom were away I would go for Myhill but as things stand DDG. That said, I only have Myhill of those two and I will be playing him. They seem like an expensive goalkeeper pairing. You have both?

I have both

Got Myhill for 4.6 & De Gea for 5.4 and so far, I've some how managed to pick the GK that scores the highest each GW.

Chose De Gea today and it worked out. Its been rare that my GK has scored less than 6 points this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Dempsey wrote: »
    I have both

Got Myhill for 4.6 & De Gea for 5.4 and so far, I've some how managed to pick the GK that scores the highest each GW.

Chose De Gea today and it worked out. Its been rare that my GK has scored less than 6 points this season.

Sweet when it works out. I never rotate. Its too annoying. Just have Myhill and always play him. Now to dump Martial. Expect him to play through the middle next game. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

SantryRed wrote: »
    I still think Ighalo is a better punt than Deeney for Watford lads. Deeney will be playing up top in a 4-2-3-1 formation with Ighalo out left but Ighalo has been more formidable in pre season, even from this position.

It's a completely new look Watford from last year (and doesn't bode well for our chances to be honest) and I don't expect the goals to be as free flowing as last year, even with the obvious step up in level of opposition. It's gonna be interesting to see the first couple of games, I think they could be reasonably solid and I'd expect a clean sheet from one of the first two home games against WBA/Southampton.

This was some call back in August. Everyone was favouring Deeney as possibly the Austin of 2015/2016. I know SantryRed was championing Ighalo from the very start of this years edition of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Paully D wrote: »
    This was some call back in August. Everyone was favouring Deeney as possibly the Austin of 2015/2016. I know SantryRed was championing Ighalo from the very start of this years edition of the game.

I have to stop thinking of him as the cheap third striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Paully D wrote:

He's been phenomenal for his price.
    He's either scored or assist each of Watford's last 9 league goals.

Wow yeah it really was! Not many are advocating Ighalo over Deeney at that point fair play Santry!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Ighalo has a very nice run the 5 GWs as well. I was originally going to bench him again next GW, but I guess it will have to be Ayoze now. He hoovers up the baps when he scores, would have had 3 even if the first goal was taken away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Sanchez seems to be less of a threat with giroud in the team. He went on his great run this year with Walcott up front and had his purple patch last year when giroud was injured if I recall correctly. I feel with Walcott up front it stretches defences and leaves Sanchez more space to work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Big Borg

jimmii wrote: »
    Can't believe I sold Mahrez :mad:

Sometimes i think it is best to pick three good forwards, four good mid-fielders (add a cheap fifth that plays in case one of your four doesn't play last minute), three good defenders (two cheap ones) and a good GK (one cheap) and bank extra money. And just play your good players week in and week out. That way you can't out think yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Big Borg wrote: »
    Sometimes i think it is best to pick three good forwards, four good mid-fielders (add a cheap fifth that plays in case one of your four doesn't play last minute), three good defenders (two cheap ones) and a good GK (one cheap) and bank extra money. And just play your good players week in and week out. That way you can't out think yourself.

I always do this. Strong front 8 is just way too much of a headache

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Simple game isn't it?

I don't plan on keeping a strong front 8 when Aguero is back, but I don't see the point of having Wanyama just because I don't want to bench points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Bench one for next week:

Lukaku (West Ham away)
    Bony (Villa away)
    Vardy (Watford home)

Mahrez (Watford home)
    Sanchez (Spurs home)
    De Bruyne (Villa away)
    Payet (Everton home)
    Mane (Sun away)

Its a very close call - I would say its between Bony, Lukaku, Payet or Mane for the bench.

Bench one for next week:

Lukaku (West Ham away)
    Bony (Villa away)
    Vardy (Watford home)

Mahrez (Watford home)
    Sanchez (Spurs home)
    De Bruyne (Villa away)
    Payet (Everton home)
    Mane (Sun away)

Its a very close call - I would say its between Bony, Lukaku, Payet or Mane for the bench.

On current form and form of opposition, I would nearly say Sanchez... All out attack an option?
    Edit: Just realised I'll have nearly the same decision. My Ighalo for your Bony.

Bench one for next week:

Lukaku (West Ham away)
    Bony (Villa away)
    Vardy (Watford home)

Mahrez (Watford home)
    Sanchez (Spurs home)
    De Bruyne (Villa away)
    Payet (Everton home)
    Mane (Sun away)

Payet

Payet

Everton look fairly brutal at the back. Sunderland had 16/17 attempts today.

Nah played AOA a couple of weeks back to no effect. Hear what your saying about Sanchez but I have him in same undroppable category as Aguero. Yeah maybe Payet is the one to bench - been thinking about selling him too fund move back to Aguero anyway so maybe I should just write him off from now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gary Gurny

Bench one for next week:

Lukaku (West Ham away)
    Bony (Villa away)
    Vardy (Watford home)

Mahrez (Watford home)
    Sanchez (Spurs home)
    De Bruyne (Villa away)
    Payet (Everton home)
    Mane (Sun away)

Sanchez and KDB are undroppable in my opinion. To be honest Id probably bench Payet or Lukaku despite his form today. I have a similar issue myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Form over fixtures... Bony for me!!

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Form over fixtures... Bony for me!!

Thought Bony looked OK from a fantasy perspective on MOTD last night - had a lot of big chances, 6 shots in total and although 5 were off target it wasn't like he was missing calamitously or the chances were gilt edged. He's not a top top class player but from a fantasy perspective I saw points potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

On current form and form of opposition, I would nearly say Sanchez... All out attack an option?
    Edit: Just realised I'll have nearly the same decision. My Ighalo for your Bony.

I'm the same as you

Everton look fairly brutal at the back. Sunderland had 16/17 attempts today.

He's the least likely to explode and won't be captained by many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Just glad I can contribute and give something back! I was actually over at the game yesterday, and Ighalo scored twice. I went to Newcastle away, and he scored twice too. :pac:

So I think it's in everyone's benefits to pay for me to go to every Watford game so he can get us those 13 points per week....

In all seriousness, Payet is another class lads. He makes West Ham tick and he clearly is too good for that team. Even though he was quiet yday, he was still unbelievable when the ball was given to him. I'll be playing him week in week out.

Remi Garde confirmed as new Villa manager

spock. wrote: »
    Remi Garde confirmed as new Villa manager

1 0 win for the new boss would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Anyone benching Payet ahead of Mané deserves the kind of heartbreak that Payet has been continually providing IMO. Payet and Mahrez have been so consistent. People should stop expecting it to end IMO. They're the real deal I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Anyone see the full City Norwich game.

From MOTD Sterling seemed lively and involved after he came on. Very brief highlights but he was unlucky his assist wasn't a goal and won a penalty when again he could have had a goal.

Serious bench headache next week, and seeing I mainly got Sterling as a 2 week punt would be a shame to drop him for Villa.

FHFC wrote: »
    Anyone see the full City Norwich game.

From MOTD Sterling seemed lively and involved after he came on. Very brief highlights but he was unlucky his assist wasn't a goal and won a penalty when again he could have had a goal.

Serious bench headache next week, and seeing I mainly got Sterling as a 2 week punt would be a shame to drop him for Villa.

I saw most of it. Iheanacho wasn't really in the match so I'd expect Sterling to start over him against Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

CSF wrote: »
    Anyone benching Payet ahead of Mané deserves the kind of heartbreak that Payet has been continually providing IMO. Payet and Mahrez have been so consistent. People should stop expecting it to end IMO. They're the real deal I think.

And there's the doubt ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

What's the highest rank a boards fsa regular finished in FPL anybody know? We don't have any top 10s do we?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Random/probably stupid question but for the bench boost does the chip have to be activated before the GW starts ya? or can you activate it during?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I'm pretty sure they have to be activated before the gameweek deadline. If you have activated a chip you can also cancel it before the deadline but it doesn't work for the wildcard chip.

• Advertisement

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    Random/probably stupid question but for the bench boost does the chip have to be activated before the GW starts ya? or can you activate it during?

I think if you could activate chips during the week then everyones TC would have gone by now! Maybe we could suggest they introduce a hindsight chip which you can use to play one of your other chips after the week had started!

How well did your bench score this week? You aren't the guy I saw with 43 points on the bench are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

jimmii wrote: »
    I think if you could activate chips during the week then everyones TC would have gone by now! Maybe we could suggest they introduce a hindsight chip which you can use to play one of your other chips after the week had started!

How well did your bench score this week? You aren't the guy I saw with 43 points on the bench are you?

Ya for some reason I just thought the Benchone was different as everyone ive seen seems to have used it at the right time.

No im not that guy thankfully but I do have 20+ there. :(

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    Ya for some reason I just thought the Benchone was different as everyone ive seen seems to have used it at the right time.

No im not that guy thankfully but I do have 20+ there. :(

They may have used it at a lucky time but I would imagine its quite likely by the end of the season we will think it wasn't the right time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Rikand wrote: »
    And there's the doubt ;)

And therein lies the beauty of the game. I can be so sure of something and then that player can blank and Wijnaldum gets 4 goals instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

A bit of a decision to make this week – AOA GW 12 or wait another week?

I’m an advocate of the cheap 5th midfielder, so the AOA chip has always presented me with a bit of a dilemma - how to efficiently adapt my squad to have a strong front 8 for a single week?

Aguero’s injury helps to solve that problem, with funds to spare to go for a short-term strong(er) midfield 5. Which in turn means I should really use the chip in the next couple of gameweeks.

Choosing between GW 12 and GW13 means balancing which is the worse week for my defence with which is the best week for my prospective 5th midfielder?

My back 5 is Bellerin, Bertrand, Dawson, Nyom and Moreno so –

- in GW 12 I’d be playing Bellerin (TOT), Moreno (CRY) and Bertrand (sun) (Nyom’s away to Lei while Dawson’s away to Utd), and
    - in GW 13 I’d be playing Bellerin (wba), Bertrand (STO) and Nyom (UTD) (Moreno’s away to City and Dawson’s home to Ars).

Looking at that, I’d probably prefer to hold off till GW 13 when I can leave Nyom out and just play Bellerin and Bertrand.

My current midfield is Payet, Mahrez, Sanchez, KDB and Surman so, with about 9.3-9.4m to spend, I think these are the reasonable prospects for the 5th spot –

- Mané (sun, STO),
    - Sterling (ast, LIV),
    - Ozil (TOT, wba),
    - Eriksen (ars, WHU),
    - Mata (WBA, wat),
    - Ayew (nor, BOU)
    - Cabaye (liv, SUN),

Looking at those GW 13 seems a bit of a mixed bag – Stoke have clean sheets in their last 3 away games, Liverpool at home won’t be overly easy for City, West Brom and Watford away might frustrate Arsenal and Utd, which leaves Eriksen home to the Hammers, Ayew home to Bournemouth or Cabaye home to Sunderland. None of those really jump out at me.

There are more appealing fixtures in GW 12, with Mané away to Sunderland and Sterling away to Villa, but that would mean playing Nyom away to Utd the week after. It would also mean not jumping on the Lukaku-mobile which I’m tempted to do this week

Any advice?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't waste two transfers going from bench fodder to strong front 8 back to fodder just to play AOA. In hindsight, I should have played mine this week. I may do GW13 since my defenders have poor fixtures atm, but am happy to hold it for later and use when needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I wouldn't waste two transfers going from bench fodder to strong front 8 back to fodder just to play AOA. In hindsight, I should have played mine this week. I may do GW13 since my defenders have poor fixtures atm, but am happy to hold it for later and use when needed

I will probably do that this week by going Westwood to Mané. No better time for it for me with iffy fixtures for 3 of my defenders and Mané v a leaky Sunderland and 3 strikers I can't bench in Vardy Pelle and Lukaku. If it works it works, if not, so be it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Jaggo

I know the strong front eight seems to be getting a bit of support around here but I have found it extremely annoying. In the last 6 game weeks my first sub has accrued 58 points with 7 goals, 2 assists and 11 bonus points. (Naturally enough I had Mahrez on the bench this week.)

With a strong front eight it becomes really tough to pick the correct formation. I can't help thinking I would prefer to use the money in a stronger front 7 or better defense and not have the selection problems.

Anyone think it is working for them or are there others losing points because of a strong front eight?

Jaggo wrote:
    I know the strong front eight seems to be getting a bit of support around here but I have found it extremely annoying. In the last 6 game weeks my first sub has accrued 58 points with 7 goals, 2 assists and 11 bonus points. (Naturally enough I had Mahrez on the bench this week.)

With a strong front eight it becomes really tough to pick the correct formation. I can't help thinking I would prefer to use the money in a stronger front 7 or better defense and not have the selection problems.

Anyone think it is working for them or are there others losing points because of a strong front eight?

The problem is that, with Aguero out, you're going to have spare funds no matter what.
    Mahrez, Vardy and Ighalo are all pretty cheap and are racking up huge scores. If you start those 3 every week and have a bench fodder 4.5 5th mid you're going to have loads in the bank.

Jaggo wrote: »

Chances are the player that is on your bench wouldn't even be in your squad if you were going with the more traditional approach of a 4.5 midfield bench player. It's annoying having benched points but you can use that player next week. Twice I have got a strong player off my bench in the last 5 weeks when the alternative would have been a 2 pointer midfielder. People leaving ighalo on the bench realistically wouldn't even have him if they were going with a cheap 4.5 mid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Similar position here. Have strong front 8 and invariably have benched the wrong player for 3 of the last 4 weeks, including Mahrez this weekend.
    It's great having 8 strong potential point scorers but luck definitely plays it's part.
    Gw 12 I'll have a front 8 of :

Sanchez, Kdb, Payet, Mahrez, Mane, Vardy, Lukaku and Pelle.

On form, Mane is the player I would bench but is playing against Sunderland, very difficult to bench anyone playing against Sunderland at the moment.

Will stick with strong front 8 for another couple of weeks and hopefully start getting the decision right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I'm not usually a fan but did it with Aguero out and I've come to agree with Busts. I played AOA last week and gained 13 pts as a result. If i was going 4 mids I'd probably have sold Mahrez a couple of weeks ago.

Also, with Mahrez, Payet, Ighalo and Vardy how much more could you strengthen your front 7 or defence with that extra 3.5 or 4m?? Pick your ideal front 7 and defence right now and I'd bet you've millions in the bank.

Plus if you spread out the Aguero funds across uogrades to 4 or 5 positions it will be a nightmare trying to fit him back in soon. Uograde the cheap mid and you can reverse it and get Aguero back in 2 transfers.

If Hazard was firing and needed to be fitted in or Aguero was back it wouldn't be an option for me.

You will have bench points, but as Busts said if they weren't on you bench they most likely not be in your squad. Bench points and an irritation but either way they're notin your score.

Don't think it has been mentioned as a positive but a strong front 8 means lots and lots of price rises / more money down the line.

I would prefer to have 13 points on the bench and get a 0.2 rises the following week than a 3 pointer that isn't earning anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Chances are the player that is on your bench wouldn't even be in your squad if you were going with the more traditional approach of a 4.5 midfield bench player. It's annoying having benched points but you can use that player next week. Twice I have got a strong player off my bench in the last 5 weeks when the alternative would have been a 2 pointer midfielder. People leaving ighalo on the bench realistically wouldn't even have him if they were going with a cheap 4.5 mid.

I agree. Most of us rotate our GKs and/or Defence but don't really "notice" long term the benched points due to our selection in each GW.
    The new chips are in the back of everyone's mind to a greater or lesser extent wrt choosing 15 "starters"
    For example 2 GKs from one team does you no favours wrt bench boost but simplifies D squad selection long term.
    For example 3 premium defenders with 9m spent on the other 2 (in general) just so bench boost remains viable instead of an extra 1m (say) to use elsewhere.
    I hope people keep the Chip thread updated when they do use one and include transfers made before and after so we can guage its effect on individual teams.
    For me I am playing as if the chips don't exist in that I'm not using transfers to prepare for them but that's not to say that it could change down the line

I agree people should add their outcomes from the chips to that thread. CSF and FHFC have had a great aoa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement