Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderflower 'Champagne' - quick question

Options
  • 17-06-2015 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I am making a small batch of elderflower champagne at the moment. (If you're interested in doing it yourself - now is the time - there's loads of them in bloom atm!!).

I am recording the steps as I go on my camera so hopefully will have a decent vid of the process by the end of it which I will share with you if anyone is interested in having a look.

Anyway, my question - the wine has been in the fermenter for 6 days with the flowers and other bits and bobs I added to the mix. BUT - I am away on holidays from Friday so the batch will be another 10 days (at least) in the primary with all the goodies before I get back.

My fear is that all the petals and stuff will start to rot or something and ruin the batch in the meantime. I have this gut feeling that I'll get a much 'cleaner' (for want of a better expression) brew if I transfer the liquid only to secondary fermenter and dump all the leaves and bits of lemon etc . But I would have to do it today - after just 6 days in the primary.

So my question is - should I do it?

Starting gravity was 1090 so it's nowhere near finished fermenting yet.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I wouldn't worry about the bits rotting: they're preserved in alcohol, after all. Have a taste and if there's enough flavour in there already you can rack safely if it makes you feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Thanks a lot Beernut - that's done now. No issue with flavour anyway - it's very potent!

I'll keep yiz posted.

Advertisement